What's happening in Iran?

Parliament

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

0% chance we stick our dick in that hornet’s nest.*

*we’re going to stick our dick in that hornet’s nest, aren’t we?

Do you really think it's a coincidence that this is happening right after Iran sold drones to Russia?

We're balls deep.

🤫

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 - those kids are brave.
2 - their generation actually gives me the tiniest sliver of hope.
3 - they need to be ready to kill, and die, to accomplish their goals. Because against an evil, entrenched foe, fighting an existential fight, that’s what it’s going to take.
They are going to have to kill mullahs. A lot of them. It’s gruesome, and not how the kids want to do this…but they are going to learn, and right soon, that’s what it’s going to take.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The Baptists were triggered.

I mean, you joke, but ... people should recognize the similarities and self-reflect.

18 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Presuming the Iranian people can manage to get rid of their government, what are the chances they can make themselves a new one that's free?  

That's a really big presumption.

5 minutes ago, Parliament said:

4 - And I presume keep the outside influence at bay.  

And I think it's too late for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Parliament said:

4 - And I presume keep the outside influence at bay.  

15 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Wonder where the Saudis fall on this.  On the one hand, they’d love for the Shiites to be taken down quite a few notches, both from a religious perspective, but also if Iran’s leadership changed, it might dial back the Shiite influence/support in certain countries (not just Yemen), which would benefit the Saudis/Sunnis.

On the other hand, this should scare the shit out of the Saudi leadership (as well as a few other hardline countries in the region) if the young people pull it off and they move towards a more secular society.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wonder where the Saudis fall on this.  On the one hand, they’d love for the Shiites to be taken down quite a few notches, both from a religious perspective, but also if Iran’s leadership changed, it might dial back the Shiite influence/support in certain countries (not just Yemen), which would benefit the Saudis/Sunnis.

On the other hand, this should scare the shit out of the Saudi leadership (as well as a few other hardline countries in the region) if the young people pull it off and they move towards a more secular society.

The Sauds can dole out enough money to keep the public off the streets.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Iran has continuously stated that it wants to wipe Israel off the map. As such, Israel has made it very clear that it cannot accept a nuclear Iran. I imagine from Israel's perspective now would be the perfect time to destroy Iran's nuclear capabilities. It will be tough for them to sit on the sidelines.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Iran has continuously stated that it wants to wipe Israel off the map. As such, Israel has made it very clear that it cannot accept a nuclear Iran. I imagine from Israel's perspective now would be the perfect time to destroy Iran's nuclear capabilities. It will be tough for them to sit on the sidelines.

That would be like wag the dog but from the outside. Doubt Israel wants to give them a bit of a lifeline right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Would make more sense to funnel weapons in for the opposition groups.

48 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A democratic Iran, or any regime less hostile to the rest of the world, is an existential threat to the Saudis and most other ME countries. They will attempt to muck any transition up, or at least weaken any alternative nascent Iranian government as best they can. They do not want sanctions lifted and the global market flooded with Iranian oil, not when they have the world by the balls after Russia's screwup.

The US needs to be ready to play diplomatic hardball with our so-called allies in the region who may have self-serving motives, but we need to show restraint. We have been terrible at picking winners and losers with regards to Iran since the 1950s. We should not get directly involved, but we have the authority to ensure other countries in the region keep their distance as well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

3 - they need to be ready to kill, and die, to accomplish their goals. Because against an evil, entrenched foe, fighting an existential fight, that’s what it’s going to take.
They are going to have to kill mullahs. A lot of them. It’s gruesome, and not how the kids want to do this…but they are going to learn, and right soon, that’s what it’s going to take.

I feel like this is similar to Rocky IV when Duke is telling Rocky what it's going to take to beat Drago. If Tony Burton were alive and could deliver this message it could change history.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I think that's right.  The way the Iranian security apparatus is set up, it really is impossible to overthrow it.  It doesn't matter that you may have some police officers go over to the protesters' side.  The IRGC is too well armed, organized, and motivated for a protest movement to have any hope of dislodging the regime.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I share this read.  I'd like to be optimistic....but unless the opposition coalesces into an actual revolutionary force and quickly moves to take out regime leadership (and this means killing them), this movement will eventually run out of steam, be put down, and end with a shitload of dead and imprisoned citizens.  Same as it ever was.

Iran doesn't need protests.  It needs a violent revolt with a laser-focus on decapitating the regime.  Until that happens, it's just inspirational noise that will end in disappointment.

• Hook 'Em 3

Agree. This isn't the 1700s. The old bearded guys are too protected by the military. And I doubt the  military is changing sides. Revolution will only happen if people with guns start killing the old bearded guys. 

Syrians tried it, but didn't go so well because it's really hard to be beat the military 

• Hook 'Em 1