Tell me about ou

Texas007

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Does this really worry anybody? He’s a terrific DC and has been great for my wife’s Clemson Tigers. I guess we’ll see if he’s HC material.

It’s as underwhelming as our hiring Sark, but will probably work for them since we can’t have nice things. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This will probably end up working out for OU because it always does but this is about as good as we could have hoped.  Assuming he gets Lebby or Harrell, both of those guys want a HC job and were in the mix for decent options this year.  So even if they are remotely successful they will be leave and OU will start from scratch the next year.  We'll see if he can build a successful defense but they should not be able to recruit/retain the offensive firepower that Lincoln could

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This will probably end up working out for OU because it always does but this is about as good as we could have hoped.  Assuming he gets Lebby or Harrell, both of those guys want a HC job and were in the mix for decent options this year.  So even if they are remotely successful they will be leave and OU will start from scratch the next year.  We'll see if he can build a successful defense but they should not be able to recruit/retain the offensive firepower that Lincoln could

Is Harrell still a hot commodity?  I haven't heard his named mentioned since he turned down Texas. 

53 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Is Harrell still a hot commodity?  I haven't heard his named mentioned since he turned down Texas. 

He's been at USC.  I don't think anyone puts the blame on him for that debacle.  I saw he was talking to Colorado St about their HC opening and if he doesn't take something like that I'm sure will get one of the numerous decent OC jobs available.

10 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

This is either gonna be mehhh or a disaster for blOU. It’s gonna take at least 2 seasons to change the teams mentality to defense first. He’s not a great recruiter and he’s gonna be expected to have Riley’s success immediately. I’m not to worried about this hire but we’ll see

Mehh is on the table, but I don't think disaster is.  At least not disaster like we've had.  With Stoops still there he isn't going to make disastrous decisions.

This is the third straight time OU has hired a coordinator as head coach.  It failed miserably with John Blake, and the next two brought and maintained one of the best stretches of success any major college program has enjoyed during that time frame.

Can OU roll along with Venables?  Part of me thinks they won't luck into a third great hire and Venables could turn out to be just above average.  But we stopped having nice things over a decade ago, so OU probably hit it out of the park.  Again. 

• Like 1

I though this was an interesting article about the Venables hire: https://theathletic.com/2999821/2021/12/05/kersey-for-oklahoma-brent-venables-is-finally-willing-to-make-the-jump-to-head-coach/

Maybe he's the next Stoops, but these could be red flags. He's never really wanted to be a HC it seems, and whatever strengths he's shown as a DC get weakened with all the other duties he now takes on. 

He developed a reputation as a film junkie who loves the hands-on aspects of coaching. Venables has been known to line up as scout-team quarterback during practice, for example. He was in the middle of the action again Sunday night as he took hold of the microphone and worked the already fired-up crowd.

Former Clemson defensive line coach Dan Brooks, who worked with Venables until Brooks’ 2016 retirement, said he always wondered if Venables would be willing to give some of that up and step into a head coaching position.

“I knew he had all the intangibles,” Brooks said Sunday. “But I always wondered if he really wanted to do it, because he just loves to coach. He loves to strategize.”

Venables will have to delegate many of those duties now.

“It’s a different chair to sit in,” said Chuck Long, the former San Diego State coach who worked on the OU staff with Venables from 2000 through 2005. “Obviously, he’s watched it with Bob and watched it with (Clemson coach) Dabo (Swinney). There are a lot of different factions that come into play there. You do less coaching, actually, and more administrative work. The key for Brent is to hire coaches who he can trust so he doesn’t have to micromanage, like Bob did.”

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Venables played his cards well. He rode the Clemson machine and hid behind Dabo’s skirt whenever HC opportunities came calling to prevent his stock from falling. Now he can cash in on generational wealth and fail comfortably.

He has been a top DC for quite a few years now.  Texas, Florida, FSU, Miami, Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU all have come open and all have hired external during that time frame.  Coaches are set up to be moderately to greatly successful at any of these jobs yet he ended up with none of them why?  Either ADs don't see him as a HC at a big time school or he didn't want to be a HC.  Either way, concerning if I'm an Oklahoma fan.

5 hours ago, Pokoloco said:

The dorks here camped out at the airport for him to arrive.

I'm not sure if it means their lives are so good, this is important to them....or their lives are so miserable and empty.

Most of them just wanted to see one of them fancy new aero-planes they've heard tale of. 

• Haha 1

"As we embark upon our journey aboard a sinking ship heading straight into a massive hurricane, I can't imagine having a finer captain at the helm than our returning son, Brent Venables.(hold for applause)  His steady leadership will ensure us the softest landing possible at the bottom of the ocean"

20 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

This is either gonna be mehhh or a disaster for blOU. It’s gonna take at least 2 seasons to change the teams mentality to defense first. He’s not a great recruiter and he’s gonna be expected to have Riley’s success immediately. I’m not to worried about this hire but we’ll see

Not a great recruiter?  Lol

4 hours ago, Bodhi said:

He has been a top DC for quite a few years now.  Texas, Florida, FSU, Miami, Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU all have come open and all have hired external during that time frame.  Coaches are set up to be moderately to greatly successful at any of these jobs yet he ended up with none of them why?  Either ADs don't see him as a HC at a big time school or he didn't want to be a HC.  Either way, concerning if I'm an Oklahoma fan.

He said no to all kinds of schools.  That’s known and out there.  He’s obviously a lot more comfortable at OU.  But again, if you people think he’s a bad hire, I feel a LOT better about things.  

16 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He said no to all kinds of schools.  That’s known and out there.  He’s obviously a lot more comfortable at OU.  But again, if you people think he’s a bad hire, I feel a LOT better about things.  

He’s a perfect fit. I’m good friends with Mark Clayton, who told me all of the old guard, and the current team are excited about his hire. You see it all over twitter. It’s the opposite of “uninspired” as someone put it. Everyone that matters is ready to run through a wall. 

It is funny seeing some of the comments here. 

Edited by Constant

5 minutes ago, Constant said:

He’s a perfect fit. I’m good friends with Mark Clayton, who told me all of the old guard, and the current team are excited about his hire. You see it all over twitter. It’s the opposite of “uninspired” as someone put it. Everyone that matters is ready to run through a wall. 

Typical message board drivel...that kicks into overdrive when evaluating your main rival.  I'm sure there would be people shaking in their boots if they pulled Bill Parcels out of some nursing home to coach OU.  Fans are morons, even more so when evaluating their rivals moves...shocking stuff. 

When this was first announced out of all the names out there, I said I wanted Mark Stoops or BV - if he was available.  Luckily, it's posted for all time right here.  But people assume anything that isn't a huge splash is a bad hire - and to be fair look at how UT's nonsplash hires have turned out - can you blame them for having the attitude they have?  

29 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Not an Texas fan.  I am a Nebraska fan though and we can't get anything right so your theory might still hold water.  Alternatively, there may be a very simple reason why he hasn't be hired by a top tier program to date?  Let's wait and see.

1 minute ago, Bodhi said:

Not an Texas fan.  I am a Nebraska fan though and we can't get anything right so your theory might still hold water.  Alternatively, there may be a very simple reason why he hasn't be hired by a top tier program to date?  Let's wait and see.

Other than Saban, and maybe Urban, I don't think there's a coach alive who can go to another programs and guarantee success.  The offensive coordinator/strength coach etc will be a big deal.  But at the end of the day there's a few programs who are very good and operating very business like with the football team and OU has been one of those teams under Joe C's overall leadership.  I think Venables is set up very well to succeed but as you say, we'll see.  Nothing is ever guaranteed in the fucked up world of college football.  

1 hour ago, Constant said:

It is an uninspiring hire. Doesn’t mean it won’t work out. It just means no one will be surprised if it doesn’t.

7 hours ago, Bodhi said:

Maybe like our McWilliams hire as HC…..or not.