Tell me about ou

Texas007

2 hours ago, DiceHands said:

On one hand, its hard not to see this and think OU will finally hit their dark era.

On the other hand, its hard not to see them falling ass backwards into success and their new transfer QB being the next coming of Jesus.

OU upgraded its S&C staff, significantly upgraded its defensive staff, energized its BMDs, the new OC has been better than Riley statistically over the last three years, they signed a Top 10 class, and they just landed a top 10 transfer portal QB who already has experience in that offense.  

Even with Rattler and Williams leaving (the latter of which hasn't happened yet), it's hard to imagine how any of this could have gone any better for them.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, camel at sea said:

OU upgraded its S&C staff, significantly upgraded its defensive staff, energized its BMDs, the new OC has been better than Riley statistically over the last three years, they signed a Top 10 class, and they just landed a top 10 transfer portal QB who already has experience in that offense.  

Even with Rattler and Williams leaving (the latter of which hasn't happened yet), it's hard to imagine how any of this could have gone any better for them.    

The S&C coach doesn't throw a pick when pressured. Dime Time does. In the UCF games I watched this year (4 of them -- wife went there), the dude got happy feet and made a lot of bad throws. He is a downgrade from Caleb Williams. OU is trending down / not up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Courtesy @Fud

a9e46ec4-a550-4b0e-9616-50933b516483-jpe

Yeah, but did you see LR kicking ass all year.  You think just anyone handles KU (in Lawrence!) like he did?  Did you miss how he stuck with the run in Stillwater?  And does anyone who watches OU really think these offensive lines haven’t been getting better and better?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Horns4Horns said:

The S&C coach doesn't throw a pick when pressured. Dime Time does. In the UCF games I watched this year (4 of them -- wife went there), the dude got happy feet and made a lot of bad throws. He is a downgrade from Caleb Williams. OU is trending down / not up. 

I think you might be overselling that a bit.  In 2020 Gabriel had 32 TDs against 4 INTs when he was still running Lebby's scheme.  He had 9 TDs and 3 picks in 2021 - in a new offense - in almost 3 full games before his injury.  

I doubt anyone would argue that the kid is not a downgrade in terms of talent but he was highly coveted in the portal for a reason.  Either way, the coaching staff in Norman is significantly improved and the recruiting fallout has been negligible.  Venables bringing Bates with him to coach the DL is a massive win for Oklahoma.  I doubt OU could have come out of the Riley situation any better than they did.      

22 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

Don't believe any of the aggie level delusional hype.

Hype? I don’t believe so….

They got their fat ass ex-coach to step in and calm the situation. He did exactly that. Without him they don’t play the bowl game. They were ready to commit seppuku the Monday after Riley left. Stoops did a lot for them just by steading the ship. How many teams have such a guy? Do we have a guy? 

The Venables hire, a move that really didn’t impress anyone. Yet all the subsequent hires have been solid. Including a new S&C coach. All guys who have been around awhile. Overall a solid effort until we see results trending otherwise.

Then the early signing period. Yep, they got hit hard, but they still managed to out recruit a lot of schools. And did so with two weeks of prep. That ain’t hype, that is someone working hard as fuck to keep that class together.

They also pulled a win out of their ass in the Alamo bowl. Sure Oregon was depleted, but a win is a win. 

So yeah, I’m sort of impressed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

Don't believe any of the aggie level delusional hype.

It’s aggy, dumbass.  And the reason people might believe the hype is there’s maybe one program in the entire country who has had less downtime.  OSU (no, not you slapdicks).  

https://theathletic.com/3032068/2021/12/23/dear-andy-is-oklahoma-really-recession-proof-do-super-seniors-help-parity-and-how-do-you-fix-bowl-opt-outs/?amp

Sorry if there’s a paywall.  Not that anyone here wants to read that shit anyways.  

There is a bit of revisionist history on this board surrounding Riley.  The day after he left, he became Nick Saban and the guys leaving are all stars.

Never mind that Riley and this group of offensive players played like dog shit most of the season, particularly the back half.  They didn’t win the conference, went 11-2, and could have lost another 2 or 3 games.

Riley is a good coach and Caleb has a bunch of upside but they’re not Belichek and Brady.  They had 21 point and not even 100 yards passing against an average Iowa State team, got their shit pushed in by Baylor, and got blanked in the second half against Okie State.

Even with Mario Williams leaving, he had some upside but he averaged 35 yards a game.

There is no reason to think they would have been better next year with Riley staying along with the portal guys in question.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It’s aggy, dumbass.  And the reason people might believe the hype is there’s maybe one program in the entire country who has had less downtime.  OSU (no, not you slapdicks).  

https://theathletic.com/3032068/2021/12/23/dear-andy-is-oklahoma-really-recession-proof-do-super-seniors-help-parity-and-how-do-you-fix-bowl-opt-outs/?amp

Sorry if there’s a paywall.  Not that anyone here wants to read that shit anyways.  

OU is long overdue for the nightmare they have coming. It will be glorious.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/4/2022 at 10:34 AM, DiceHands said:

On one hand, its hard not to see this and think OU will finally hit their dark era.

On the other hand, its hard not to see them falling ass backwards into success and their new transfer QB being the next coming of Jesus.

Well there is plenty of logic in your thesis, I think a majority of us Sooner fans feel like the kid on the trike right now, when reality ask what are we waitin' for:

17 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

There is a bit of revisionist history on this board surrounding Riley.  The day after he left, he became Nick Saban and the guys leaving are all stars.

Never mind that Riley and this group of offensive players played like dog shit most of the season, particularly the back half.  They didn’t win the conference, went 11-2, and could have lost another 2 or 3 games.

Riley is a good coach and Caleb has a bunch of upside but they’re not Belichek and Brady.  They had 21 point and not even 100 yards passing against an average Iowa State team, got their shit pushed in by Baylor, and got blanked in the second half against Okie State.

Even with Mario Williams leaving, he had some upside but he averaged 35 yards a game.

There is no reason to think they would have been better next year with Riley staying along with the portal guys in question.

Agree with this AND...

There was going to be a significant defensive regression for OU in 2022. The Sooners lost their "difference makers" in their front seven, and Grinch was going to try to replace them with freshmen (talented freshmen, but freshmen). Plus, I think you'd have seen significant portal losses on the defense. The OL would've still lost the same players too.

Caleb Williams' development would've certainly been huge for the offense, but the OL regression may have limited it's impact. Add to that a defensive regression, I don't know that the ceiling for OU next year would be that high anyway.

23 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

LOL the opposite revisionist history has happened in the OU-media-echo-chamber/social media.

Since he left, the narrative has gone something like this:

1. OMG Riley left!? He was a great coach but is obviously a piece of shit.

2. Now that I think about it, Riley may not have been as great as we thought.

3. Now that I think about it some more, Riley was complete and utter garbage and the program was quite obviously completely falling apart. I mean, he couldn't even win a 5th straight Big 12 title or make the CFP for the 4th time in 5 years. The program was obviously about ready to implode.

4. Riley was definitely an awful coach who had no idea what he was doing and we are lucky he left.

5. Brent Venables is obviously 20x better than Riley and we are ready to dominate the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL the opposite revisionist history has happened in the OU-media-echo-chamber/social media.

Since he left, the narrative has gone something like this:

1. OMG Riley left!? He was a great coach but is obviously a piece of shit.

2. Now that I think about it, Riley may not have been as great as we thought.

3. Now that I think about it some more, Riley was complete and utter garbage and the program was quite obviously completely falling apart. I mean, he couldn't even win a 5th straight Big 12 title or make the CFP for the 4th time in 5 years. The program was obviously about ready to implode.

4. Riley was definitely an awful coach who had no idea what he was doing and we are lucky he left.

5. Brent Venables is obviously 20x better than Riley and we are ready to dominate the SEC.

Recently I've been hearing that Riley actually began tanking in mid-season because he knew he was going to be leaving.

And considering Venables' ignominious exit in '11 after being replaced by Mike Stoops, I've been amused at how the Sooners have been swooning over that hire. 

Edited by Disco Missile

12 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Recently I've been hearing that Riley actually began tanking in mid-season because he knew he was going to be leaving.

And considering Venables' ignominious exit in '11 after being replaced by Mike Stoops, I've been amused at how the Sooners have been swooning over that hire. 

Yep that's definitely part of the narrative.

I mean, never mind that they they were literally one play away from playing in the Big 12 title game and a shot at the CFP, right?

And yeah. As the saying goes, I'm old enough to remember when the OU hive mind spent like 2 years wanting to run Venables out of town. And now he's St. Brent the Savior.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1