Tell me about ou

Texas007

38 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

He’s 50 years old and still a fucking WR coach? 

Yeah, exactly.  Lol

edit: and for some real lulz I broke the news to a group of buddies who started laughing and making fun of OSU.  Uh, it was Cale, gents.  ‘What?! Fuck!’ 😂

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Haha 4

Other than a highly scientific term I’m not familiar with or industry-specific jargon, you can put just about any English word in front of me, and in a millisecond, my brain can discern context and appropriateness. Gundy may be everything Mixon says he is, but he’s still apparently dumb enough to say read a slur… perhaps the most infamous slur… out loud. I don’t know how you don’t stop yourself, but then again, I don’t know how one chooses to be a Sooner, either. (Sorry, ChiTown.)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Vermin said:

Would reading Huck Finn aloud result in the death penalty?

Honest answer- “Huckleberry Finn” intentionally uses derogatory language and term, in support of a noble cause (getting the white reader to recognize the wrongness of racism). You (we) have to remember that Twain directed this at a white audience and that was who he intended to influence with his prose. Well intentioned as Twain was, we have to remember that black readers are on a different side of this perspective and can receive this in a completely different manner. Sensitivity and care is required. 

tldr- Great book, yes. Dive in and read aloud in class, no. 

Edited by statsman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, statsman said:

Honest answer- “Huckleberry Finn” intentionally uses derogatory language and term, in support of a noble cause (getting the white reader to recognize the wrongness of racism). You (we) have to remember that Twain directed this at a white audience and that was who he intended to influence with his prose. Well intentioned as Twain was, we have to remember that black readers are on a different side of this perspective and can receive this in a completely different manner. Sensitivity and care is required. 

Kinda like Blazing Saddles.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, camel at sea said:

If his story isn't pretty near the entire truth, it's going to piss off some guys in that locker room (rightly so) and they're going to get the truth out.  My guess is that it's essentially the truth of what happened.  

After thinking about it, the real story is probably much worse. As in, not an "accidentally read that word out loud" but more like he used it around the wrong guy. Remember Larry Cochelle, their old baseball coach?

7 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Jimbo reshuffling his offensive assistants makes sense now. I hope Cale likes College Station. 

aggy would be more offended by his apology for using the word than for him using the word. No way they'd want Cale. 

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Agree. To write a story about any time period and place where racism is prevalent and to not include that word (or other common slurs) is to pretend the racism doesn't/did not exist.

In Gundy's case, however, he wasn't documenting racism. He might have even been promoting it. Regardless, OU sucks.

My guess is that he was pissed that they weren’t paying attention and he not only read it but commented on it and maybe said it again in anger. He was probably yelling at them in a bitchass insulting non constructive way that pissed off the room. There are strong constructive ways to dress down players and gain there respect and weak whiny insults that get weak leaders in trouble because they lose their players’ respect. I bet the former is the wider context.

• Hook 'Em 1

That resignation tweet was about as passive aggressive of an apology as you could possibly make. There's got to be something more to this. Either there is friction between Venables/the new staff and Gundy or the story is way worse than what's being portrayed or there is some other shit that's yet to come out. I would think that a suspension or a fine and an apology would be sufficient. A resignation seems very harsh.  A very similar thing happened with Gary Patterson at TCU and it was a non-story after about two days. 

But whatever. Fuck OU. I hope they have massive racial discord and they lose every game by 50.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This story just can't be true. Step down for reading a word on someone else's iPad? For a guy who's been there for decades? Nope, not buying it. 

They have Lebby on staff. The coach that was in the middle of the Baylor scandal. 

There is no chance that story is even remotely accurate or he would still be at OU. 

4 hours ago, statsman said:

this is patronizing, but now the default.

50 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That resignation tweet was about as passive aggressive of an apology as you could possibly make. There's got to be something more to this. Either there is friction between Venables/the new staff and Gundy or the story is way worse than what's being portrayed or there is some other shit that's yet to come out. I would think that a suspension or a fine and an apology would be sufficient. A resignation seems very harsh.  A very similar thing happened with Gary Patterson at TCU and it was a non-story after about two days. 

But whatever. Fuck OU. I hope they have massive racial discord and they lose every game by 50.

My guess is that it happened as stated in the resignation letter (which is why current players are backing him up) but while most of the team didn't care, one or two guys (or a staff member who heard it) did care and they reported it up the chain to the university.  Once that happened, and it got to the diversity board / HR types, Gundy was done.  Even if an official review basically exonerates him, he can't coach a room where at least one of the guys there thinks he's a racist.  It's toxic for recruiting, too. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Curious if there is other stuff he's done in the AD, a la Zach Smith, that would make all parties involved look like complete shit if it came out if the university did an investigation. Better to resign to "not be a distraction" than to be fired for cause after making everyone look like assholes for not letting him go well beforehand.

13 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Joe Mixon defending someone's character is like The Wolf of Wall Street defending someone's sales tactics.

Fuck ou.

Fait point, but maybe Gundy helped Mixon become a better person. I'm not sure if he's had any legal issues since his school one. (and it was a biggie)