Tell me about ou

Texas007

3 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

I'm trying to get a head start on booking hotels for the RRS next season. Do yall think the game is on October 7 or 14? The 1st being on a Sunday is throwing me off.

It's played on the second Saturday of October. Saturdays in September don't count as a Saturday in October.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, Tex48 said:

I'm trying to get a head start on booking hotels for the RRS next season. Do yall think the game is on October 7 or 14? The 1st being on a Sunday is throwing me off.

16 hours ago, hook me said:

It's played on the second Saturday of October. Saturdays in September don't count as a Saturday in October.

And if not second Saturday of October, the second Saturday of the fair. State Fair Classic is always the first Saturday of the fair. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 4:52 PM, LTtxfan said:

Pretty cool alternate "UNITY" tribute uniforms

It was really great that they integrated OU football with Prentice Gauntt. It sucked that they re-segregated a few years later, as Royal was whipping them and they feared that their recruiting was hindered by being integrated. (Per a 1963 Time magazine article on Wilkinson). 

6 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

0U fans have no idea how to handle being mediocrity and other fanbase piling on you. Until they realize Vegetables is a fraud, the next few seasons will be fun 

‘Handle being mediocrity’.  Lol

It’s not THAT bad yet. 

Many are doing just fine.  I guess if you’re a typical mouth breather that hangs on to everything your football team does… then yeah, no doubt.  But the OU mouth breathers will just start celebrating winning the ‘crootin battles like certain other mediocre teams have done for years (aggy, right?).  Losers, the whole lot of ‘em.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Gabriel announces he's coming back. Good handful of OU fans aren't happy. Read the comment section for lulz. @ChiTownDoc @Constant thoughts?

I’m glad he’s coming back. He is a wildly inconsistent quarterback that probably needs to drop a level, but his knowledge of the offense will be a huge help in developing Arnold. 

The alternative is starting Arnold day one, Beville (🤢), or finding a portal replacement. 

Gabriel’s return is best case there. 

13 minutes ago, Constant said:

I’m glad he’s coming back. He is a wildly inconsistent quarterback that probably needs to drop a level, but his knowledge of the offense will be a huge help in developing Arnold. 

The alternative is starting Arnold day one, Beville (🤢), or finding a portal replacement. 

Some Sooner on twitter said that if Dillon struggles they wouldn't be surprised to see Arnold get thrown in the fire. Another said Arnold could beat him out and Dillon is returning only to become QB2. A few others have said that with Dillon at the controls OU is probably going 6-7 again.  

OU is spoiled.  Dillon isn’t that bad.  The rubber meets the road with the defense.  

Lost 5 of 6 last 6 games by 3 points or less.  It’s not all luck but there’s some bad luck there.  Just like Vikings in NFL winning all their close games this year - you can choose to believe that’s because they’re great but it’s a lot of luck.   

Anyways, glad I don’t really give a shit these days.  Hope I’m wrong but I think this continues to evolve towards the pro game with NIL etc.  And I do think players should be paid, it’s not a debate with me. 

10 hours ago, Constant said:

Yeah.  Gabriel:  63% 3,168 yards, 25 TD 6 INT + another 6 rushing TDs.  

He's a well above average college QB.  I think you can also make an argument that OU's backup QB situation probably made life worse for him.  Gabriel is relatively athletic but since he had absolutely no backup, he was reluctant to scramble and Lebby was reluctant to dial up QB run (which is a big part of Lebby's offense.)  Kid's likely to look better in year 2.  I can't see Arnold unseating him at QB1 outside of an injury situation.    

The big issue with the OU offense this past year (other than the backup QB situation) was how horrible OU was in short yardage / 3rd down.  The interior of the OL was bottom half of the conference.  It's hard to run the veer and shoot when you aren't good up front.  They've recruited well but for whatever reason they're relying on OL transfers.  

11 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Some Sooner on twitter said that if Dillon struggles they wouldn't be surprised to see Arnold get thrown in the fire. Another said Arnold could beat him out and Dillon is returning only to become QB2. A few others have said that with Dillon at the controls OU is probably going 6-7 again.  

Yes please.   Let those fucks wonder the wilds as we did for the better part of a decade.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Constant @Pdawg88 @kilroydos or any other non-troll sooner poster with an informed outlook, I have questions regarding the sooner depth chart heading into the spring. 

I think, as I understand where things are at, that you guys are losing all 5 starting OLs. Is that accurate? If so, what is your outlook at that spot? If not, same question, but also who is a starter that is returning?

Beyond that, on offense, you're also losing Mims, Stoops, Willis and both Gray and Major at TB? I know Stogner is coming back, but he's always seemed kind of jaggy. Is anyone else on offense, of relevance, leaving? What is your overall outlook on offense for next season?

From this end, and there's still time for another portal session to brighten things up, I know, but it looks grim for the offense. You've got Gabriel back. He's okay. Arnold might be the cat's meow, but not as a true freshman. You've got a bunch of upperclassmen JAGs at WR. Young TB talent. A totally green OL. Lebby is a mediocre to poor OC. Tell me why I am off base.

On defense, you lose Coe, Grimes, Ogwoegbu, White, Washington(x2), Key, Morrison, Broiles, Stripling, Johnson, Davis, Kelly, Ellison, Whitter and Coldon. The stud punter is also gone, right? Anyone else?

I assume Redmond returns and you guys are in love with Stutsman and Kanak. Bowman returns. Downs returns. 

That just seems like an absolute fuckton of experience heading for the exit. I know there's been work done in the portal with the likes of McCullough, Pearson, Ford, and Bothroyd, but how many of those guys are difference makers? What is your outlook on the defensive side of the ball heading into the spring? 

It seems like OU is going to be really young and really new across the board. Are you guys expecting to play a ton of true freshmen across the roster?

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

@Constant @Pdawg88 @kilroydos or any other non-troll sooner poster with an informed outlook, I have questions regarding the sooner depth chart heading into the spring. 

I think, as I understand where things are at, that you guys are losing all 5 starting OLs. Is that accurate? If so, what is your outlook at that spot? If not, same question, but also who is a starter that is returning?

Beyond that, on offense, you're also losing Mims, Stoops, Willis and both Gray and Major at TB? I know Stogner is coming back, but he's always seemed kind of jaggy. Is anyone else on offense, of relevance, leaving? What is your overall outlook on offense for next season?

From this end, and there's still time for another portal session to brighten things up, I know, but it looks grim for the offense. You've got Gabriel back. He's okay. Arnold might be the cat's meow, but not as a true freshman. You've got a bunch of upperclassmen JAGs at WR. Young TB talent. A totally green OL. Lebby is a mediocre to poor OC. Tell me why I am off base.

On defense, you lose Coe, Grimes, Ogwoegbu, White, Washington(x2), Key, Morrison, Broiles, Stripling, Johnson, Davis, Kelly, Ellison, Whitter and Coldon. The stud punter is also gone, right? Anyone else?

I assume Redmond returns and you guys are in love with Stutsman and Kanak. Bowman returns. Downs returns. 

That just seems like an absolute fuckton of experience heading for the exit. I know there's been work done in the portal with the likes of McCullough, Pearson, Ford, and Bothroyd, but how many of those guys are difference makers? What is your outlook on the defensive side of the ball heading into the spring? 

It seems like OU is going to be really young and really new across the board. Are you guys expecting to play a ton of true freshmen across the roster?

Short answer, we won’t be very good next year. My biggest problem is QB. I have zero faith in Gabriel, just a JAG. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Redmond is gone

• Hook 'Em 1

I like quite a few of their portal pickups, but some of them carry some risk. Trace Ford has had the injury bug and hasn't looked the same since he had the torn ACL. His juice has a pass rusher is pretty much gone. Lacey has also battled the injury bug (has never played in more than 8 games in a season). Bothroyd had a good 2021 but went from 16.5 TFL's to 8 this past year and had half of his 6 sacks against VMI and Boston College. I feel like they needed 2 big time receivers in the portal and all they got was the dude from Michigan. They return two receivers who caught more than 3 passes last year: Stoops and Farooq. And they only brought in 2 receivers in the 2023 class.

I do like Rouse the OT they got from Stanford and Sears the DT from Texas State. I feel like they needed another interior DL though. They struggled badly adjusting to Venables scheme.

Idiot boomers, there are 3 reasons blowU was 6-5 last season. 1. Gabriel was out with injury a few games and they have no backup QB. 2. Defense was beyond bad at times, never rising above somewhat competent level.

3. OUSUX

Short answer, we won’t be very good next year. My biggest problem is QB. I have zero faith in Gabriel, just a JAG. 
Wow, you guys are spoiled af with all the QB's Bobby bag o' dicks and lil Lincoln brought through blowU. I don't care if Jackson Arnold is the second coming of touchdown Jesus...if you start a true Freshman QB next year it's not going to elevate the offense to where you think it should be. You guys may suck next year (and always) but Gabriel won't be the reason...he's simply not transcendent enough to make up for a few talent/experience deficits on offense and a whole slew on defense.

Please baby jeebus let blowU get their wish and start a true Freshman QB behind a green O-line!

37 minutes ago, ousux said:

Wow, you guys are spoiled af with all the QB's Bobby bag o' dicks and lil Lincoln brought through blowU. I don't care if Jackson Arnold is the second coming of touchdown Jesus...if you start a true Freshman QB next year it's not going to elevate the offense to where you think it should be. You guys may suck next year (and always) but Gabriel won't be the reason...he's simply not transcendent enough to make up for a few talent/experience deficits on offense and a whole slew on defense.

Please baby jeebus let blowU get their wish and start a true Freshman QB behind a green O-line!emoji1787.png

Seem to work out ok for Caleb Williams in the cotton bowl. Not that he’s Caleb Williams. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I like quite a few of their portal pickups, but some of them carry some risk. Trace Ford has had the injury bug and hasn't looked the same since he had the torn ACL. His juice has a pass rusher is pretty much gone. Lacey has also battled the injury bug (has never played in more than 8 games in a season). Bothroyd had a good 2021 but went from 16.5 TFL's to 8 this past year and had half of his 6 sacks against VMI and Boston College. I feel like they needed 2 big time receivers in the portal and all they got was the dude from Michigan. They return two receivers who caught more than 3 passes last year: Stoops and Farooq. And they only brought in 2 receivers in the 2023 class.

I do like Rouse the OT they got from Stanford and Sears the DT from Texas State. I feel like they needed another interior DL though. They struggled badly adjusting to Venables scheme.

Dasan McCullough is an elite pickup for their defense.  Rouse is probably a plug-in starter at OT.  Most of the rest are depth/rotation adds.  If they get Jordan Kelley back, they should be fine at DT, with Coe, Sears, Halton, and Gilliam.

I think Venables addressed most of OU's needs, except maybe at WR.  But with Farooq and Stoops back, it's not too bad a situation there from a talent standpoint.  Their offense is going to work, or not, based on the run game.  It'll be interesting to see if the Florida State game is a sign of things to come.  That was the first time Lebby's OU offense started to look competent in the run game and they had a couple of freshman pop off for 100+ against a good Florida State team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hookem and Sux pretty much nailed my thoughts.  Hopefully they won't have to play any true freshmen apart from Pettaway and maybe a RB.  If anyone else sees meaningful time this early, it's a sign of a bad year.  Woodi Washington coming back was a big win, and means they only have to rewire half of the secondary.  OU fans are pretty critical of Gabriel, but that's because we hyperfixate on easy throws that were way off.  We don't notice that it happens to every single QB for every team every week.

I also really wonder about Ugwoegbu moving on.  Volumes have been written about his ability or deficiency, but he's never complained, always worked his ass off.

OL is going to be about what it was in the bowl game, so that won't be awful with the addition of Rouse.

I’ve been pondering program floors and ceilings. I think programs’ timespans at “floor” levels are dependent upon university administrative tolerance for underperformance. OU, famously desiring to be a university worthy of its football team, has little tolerance for underachievement. Hoping they wander for years is a waste of time. The minute Venables shows he can’t build a great team, he will be ejected. 

I do question whether their ceiling is as high as it used to be, in a landscape where their rivals will pay players, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1