Tell me about ou

Texas007

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Okay, so Redmond is gone but Stoops and WWashington are back? Is anyone else coming back that was expected to graduate or transfer?

Of the guys you listed upthread, Coe, Grimes, Woodi Washington, Key Lawrence, Stripling, and Whitter are back. Major, Jaden Davis and Jordan Kelly are probably back, too, but I haven't seen any official announcements.  

30 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Good to see OU will be young and somewhat inexperienced again next season. No reason why we don't blow them out again. Although with Dillon Gabriel they keep it a little closer. We win by maybe 3 or 4 touchdowns. 

Gentleman’s bet on 4 touchdowns? 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, camel at sea said:

Dasan McCullough is an elite pickup for their defense.  Rouse is probably a plug-in starter at OT.  Most of the rest are depth/rotation adds.  If they get Jordan Kelley back, they should be fine at DT, with Coe, Sears, Halton, and Gilliam.

I think Venables addressed most of OU's needs, except maybe at WR.  But with Farooq and Stoops back, it's not too bad a situation there from a talent standpoint.  Their offense is going to work, or not, based on the run game.  It'll be interesting to see if the Florida State game is a sign of things to come.  That was the first time Lebby's OU offense started to look competent in the run game and they had a couple of freshman pop off for 100+ against a good Florida State team.

Very informed. Some added context:

Offense note 2021 --> 2022
OU's offensive in fancy stats took a big step back from top 5 to top 20 - 25. Points per game fell "only" 7 because OU had so many more drives per game.

Offense, running game:
Lebby will feel more comfortable running Gabriel, who's an asset running the ball. The threat of the QB run game will mitigate the loss of Brayden Willis, who was a true asset as a blocker. The RB position will be as good as last year running the ball. The OL showed surprising proficiency run blocking vs a good Florida St front 7.

Offense, passing game:
Gabriel is himself. Above average deep ball, avoids the middle of the field. It's unusal to see big jump in QB this late in his career. RB have to get better in pass protection, and we don't know if they can catch. WR needs at least one more transfer and/or one of the newcomers over the last couple of years to pop (5 new last year + 3 this year). OL was a disaster in pass pro vs FSU. Rouse will improve that, but it's a safe assumption that OU's OL pass protection will be worse with the loss of Anton Harrison (bigger loss than Mims?).

Defense note 2021 --> 2022
OU's defense gave up 4 ppg more last year but efficiency stayed about the same because they faced so many more drives. This is despite OU losing many of their best defensive players from the 2021 team (entire DL, best LB, best DB).

Defense, running game:
OU's DL was pushed around last year. Portal adds Lacy and Sears may at least hold point of attack better. Venable's LBs have a history of superlative play that wasn't shown last year. Improvement here will be expected. Safety play should also be better.

Defense, passing game:
OU couldn't rush the QB. That SHOULD change with several options at DE/Edge added in recruiting/portal (top high school Edge, McCullough, Bothroyd, Ford). LBs in zone seemed to develop a sense of playing receivers rather than areas of grass as the season progressed. DB play gradually improved as the year went on. At least there were few flat out busts in the latter half of the year. DB recruiting class was outstanding.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, quigley said:

Very informed. Some added context:

Offense note 2021 --> 2022
OU's offensive in fancy stats took a big step back from top 5 to top 20 - 25. Points per game fell "only" 7 because OU had so many more drives per game.

Offense, running game:
Lebby will feel more comfortable running Gabriel, who's an asset running the ball. The threat of the QB run game will mitigate the loss of Brayden Willis, who was a true asset as a blocker. The RB position will be as good as last year running the ball. The OL showed surprising proficiency run blocking vs a good Florida St front 7.

Offense, passing game:
Gabriel is himself. Above average deep ball, avoids the middle of the field. It's unusal to see big jump in QB this late in his career. RB have to get better in pass protection, and we don't know if they can catch. WR needs at least one more transfer and/or one of the newcomers over the last couple of years to pop (5 new last year + 3 this year). OL was a disaster in pass pro vs FSU. Rouse will improve that, but it's a safe assumption that OU's OL pass protection will be worse with the loss of Anton Harrison (bigger loss than Mims?).

Defense note 2021 --> 2022
OU's defense gave up 4 ppg more last year but efficiency stayed about the same because they faced so many more drives. This is despite OU losing many of their best defensive players from the 2021 team (entire DL, best LB, best DB).

Defense, running game:
OU's DL was pushed around last year. Portal adds Lacy and Sears may at least hold point of attack better. Venable's LBs have a history of superlative play that wasn't shown last year. Improvement here will be expected. Safety play should also be better.

Defense, passing game:
OU couldn't rush the QB. That SHOULD change with several options at DE/Edge added in recruiting/portal (top high school Edge, McCullough, Bothroyd, Ford). LBs in zone seemed to develop a sense of playing receivers rather than areas of grass as the season progressed. DB play gradually improved as the year went on. At least there were few flat out busts in the latter half of the year. DB recruiting class was outstanding.

The standout for the OU OL during the FSU game IMO was Savion Byrd at LG.  Massive upgrade as a run-blocker from what they'd been putting out there all year.  It makes you question why he wasn't getting reps during the regular season.  He'll need to get a lot better in pass pro.  Reps should do that.  OU's interior OL was bottom half of the Big 12 last year.  They straight-up sucked in short yardage.  Between the interior of the OL, and Lebby being afraid to let Gabriel run, the run game had to do a lot to scheme around its deficiencies to gain yards.  Until the bowl game, there was no OU run game when Gray sat down.  Byrd has the potential to make a big difference.  There are a couple other guys that could improve that interior OL, too.  It's going to be a big year for Bedenbaugh.  His recent track record with his own OL recruits has been terrible.  OU should never be starting 4 transfers on the O-line the way they were down the stretch.  He has some highly touted guys in that OL room.

Coe and Kelley returning at DT will help OU a lot.  There was a learning curve last year and those guys both flashed a little bit later in the year.  Johnson's best game was the bowl game, too.  He probably wishes he'd stayed at Tulane, though.  Downs got better as the year went on, but rotating with Bothroyd should help him.  Getting some twitch at the other End spot (R Mason Thomas, Adebawore, Ford, McCullough) could make a pretty big different overall, too.  Venables had no pass rush unless he schemed it up.  Almost nobody on that DL could win one-on-ones regularly.  That should be different next season.  I'd guess Stutsman slides over to MIKE and that we see Kanak and Whitter competing for starting reps at WILL.  Allegedly the staff has compared Dasan McCullough to Isaiah Simmons, which would imply they're looking at him for their "Cheetah" spot.  That'd be a big upgrade to the LB spots.  The secondary has a chance to be a strength of the team with Bowman, Lawrence, Woodi Washington, Gentry Williams, Pearson, etc.  It's been almost twenty years since the OU secondary was a strength.

As bad as it went for OU last season, they lost 5 games by one score.  There doesn't need to be much improvement to get back to 10+ wins.  Looking across the Big 12 for the '23 season, I think Texas and K-State are probably the class of the conference but OU will be in that mix, too, if the OL plays like I suspect it probably will.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Apparently Barry Switzer and Toby Keith were at Bedlam basketball in Stillwater last night and went to Eskimo Joes afterward and bought everyone shots. Also Toby apparently has stomach cancer. Makes me almost want to cheer for the cancer. (joking of course, fuck cancer).

image.png.44e128a3a0f8f5312c6374ba0500842e.png

http://www.instagram.com/reel/CnlZ0EHAm_-/?igshid=OTRmMjhlYjM=

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:
On 1/16/2023 at 4:49 PM, Pdawg88 said:
Seem to work out ok for Caleb Williams in the cotton bowl. Not that he’s Caleb Williams. 

He didn't start that game, Rattler already put them in the hole so there was no pressure on CW to win.

There was a shit ton of pressure. People were chanting for him to come in a game or two before that game. He was going to be the next Baker or Kyler and people couldn’t wait for Spencer Rattler to get the fuck out of town. But I get what you are saying 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not real up to speed on transfer portal rules but isn't there still a 25 scholarship per year limit? Or is that all different now? Skeletor can't possibly bring in 50 new scholarship players in one offseason, can he?

Or do they just bring in all walk-ons and let NIL pay their way?

Edited by JMFP

1 hour ago, JMFP said:

I'm not real up to speed on transfer portal rules but isn't there still a 25 scholarship per year limit? Or is that all different now? Skeletor can't possibly bring in 50 new scholarship players in one offseason, can he?

Or do they just bring in all walk-ons and let NIL pay their way?

No 25 limit counter last year and this year. Only thing teams have to worry about is the 85 limit.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I'm thinking this is not a good sign.

I was going to agree, but then I thought about it some more.  Two HS classes and two portal cycles have happened in that span of time.  The roster churn makes sense.  It's going to take me a while to get used to how the portal impacts all of this.   

Having watched OU's defense over the last several years, Venables probably couldn't churn out Alex Grinch's recruits fast enough.  

13 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

John W. Smith said it best that when it comes to wrestling ou is Okie State's bitch. OSU KNOWS they can win the conference and a national title, ou only THINKS they can. 

Kind of like the exact opposite of how OU and OSU have been in football.  Except OSU never even thinks they can win a football title.  

They can keep the wrestling.  Hell, I’d rather win a title in girls softball, a sport where Bama, UT, UCLA, and several other big boy colleges not only field teams (crazy!) but try to win.  

But OU does suck even more than usual this year.  I don’t think too many people are crying for those assholes in Norman.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

15 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Kind of like the exact opposite of how OU and OSU have been in football.  Except OSU never even thinks they can win a football title.  

They can keep the wrestling.  Hell, I’d rather win a title in girls softball, a sport where Bama, UT, UCLA, and several other big boy colleges not only field teams (crazy!) but try to win.  

But OU does suck even more than usual this year.  I don’t think too many people are crying for those assholes in Norman.  

Wrestling > softball by a country mile. Granted the scenery in softball is more appealing but there's just no comparison in the level of competition between the two sports. Okie State is my favorite wrestling program but if you haven't watched much wrestling I'd direct you to go watch some Big 10 matchups. Also, wrestlers compete on the world stage annually and the U.S. is currently in really good hands with the crop of young men that are representing our great country. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

Wrestling > softball by a country mile. Granted the scenery in softball is more appealing but there's just no comparison in the level of competition between the two sports. Okie State is my favorite wrestling program but if you haven't watched much wrestling I'd direct you to go watch some Big 10 matchups. Also, wrestlers compete on the world stage annually and the U.S. is currently in really good hands with the crop of young men that are representing our great country. 

My brother wrestled at a high level.  I kept getting bigger in gym and he kept rolling me up.  Not fun.  I know a ton about the sport.  It just doesn’t translate to a spectator sport.  And I have more respect for wrestlers than just about any athlete out there.  

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 6:32 AM, Longboard Horn said:

John W. Smith said it best that when it comes to wrestling ou is Okie State's bitch. OSU KNOWS they can win the conference and a national title, ou only THINKS they can. 

It's criminal what they'd let happen to that program, they were an NCAA power with all-time great wrestlers.  It's shit now and I don't know if it'll ever get better.  OU was never more than a nuisance to OSU on their way to another title but there were some absolute great Bedlam matches in the day.  Of course OSU ain't winning anything now-a-days either.  Haven't won a title since 2006.

19 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

My brother wrestled at a high level.  I kept getting bigger in gym and he kept rolling me up.  Not fun.  I know a ton about the sport.  It just doesn’t translate to a spectator sport.  And I have more respect for wrestlers than just about any athlete out there.  

image.jpeg.3f1241e657e98d86d7fedd200f289f97.jpeg

I attended a Bedlam match while in school with a student organization and had no idea what was going on. I know that if you take the guy to the floor it's good, but there were points being scored and the crowd cheering and I had zero concept of what was going on. I'd like to see us with another natty though since it's a big deal despite my lack of interest.

As a former wrestler who also played other sports- nothing comes close to how difficult wrestling is physically and mentally. Pulling weight through my growing years probaby stunted my growth.  The pain of how bad it feels to lose when you have nobody but yourself to blame was rough, I still have vivid memories of those.

Nothing but respect for the guys doing it at the D1 level. It's the one sport I'll  actually root for OU kids in. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, Pokoloco said:

As a former wrestler who also played other sports- nothing comes close to how difficult wrestling is physically and mentally. Pulling weight through my growing years probaby stunted my growth.  The pain of how bad it feels to lose when you have nobody but yourself to blame was rough, I still have vivid memories of those.

Nothing but respect for the guys doing it at the D1 level. It's the one sport I'll  actually root for OU kids in. 

THIS!

I wrestled in high school and it is the most physically draining sport. 6 minutes non stop doesn't seem like a lot, but once you've wrestled a 6 minute match with no break you'll be exhausted. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...