tAll Encompassing Disney Thread

Baboontyme

Teenage daughter a little down in the dumps, so I offered to take her somewhere fun.  FML she chose Disneyland.  Did I despair?  No I did not, I called a family friend who happens to be a Club 33 member and voila, we are going next week for two days.

I had visions of sitting at the Star Wars bar while she got her ride on, but nope, everything sit down is booked.  Not sure if I can get into the Club 33 lounge yet.

Been a long time since I took them as young uns, so I'll have to read throught the thread and do some strategery.

Almost anything will be booked this close to your trip if they’re running certain capacity or some restaurants just aren’t flat out opened yet. Might have changed in 2 months since I’ve been to WDW, it’s definitely a different life compared to back then.

My wife used this:

https://mousedining.com/pricing

Gave her instant openings if someone cancels a reservation. Somethin to check out anyways

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Disneyland and CA Adventure last week, stayed at Grand Californian.  Some notes for those going soon:

(But first an observation:  holy shit, the number of morbidly obese people in this country, including children.  I weep for our future.)

No early entrance for on site hotel guests.   Everyone in at the same time, though we did notice they tended to open the gates early, say 8:30, 8:45.

Everyone goes straight to Indiana Jones open entering; don't be that person. Bounce around and go to Pirates of Caribbean, circle back to Jones toward the end of the day (it breaks down all the time, keep an eye on it and you might get in quick upon a reopening).

Longest wait was for Cars at CA Adventure, 45 minutes. Everything else averaged about 20 and moved pretty quick.

The virtual queue - don't fuck around with it.  You've got 2 or 3 seconds max to get a spot or you're toast.  On the app hit 'virtual queues' and you'll be on the "Join Boarding Group" page - STAY ON THAT.  Do not go to the next page where the actual queues are shown, they do not refresh automatically when the clock strikes 7 or 12.  When the clock on you phone hits 7 IMMEDIATELY hit Join Boarding Group. Next page is "Join Queue" I think, and it shows either Star Wars or Web Slingers, then another page with "Confirm Guests" (it reads the tickets that are attached to your Disney account).  Sit in a comfortable place, block out any distractions (especially avoid eye contact with your kids, as they will appear to be ready to cry or scream with joy depending on how slow or fast you are).  There may be a website that helps you with finger poking speed and agility; if so, do that.  Again, once it hits 7 or 12, MOVE.  Like a 14 year old fap, it's over in nanoseconds.  The crowd around you will either scream and clap like insane people, or scream FUCK!  You think I'm joking?  Just wait.

Rise of the Resistance is probably the best ride/experience I've ever been on. Good on you Imagineering.  Avengers Web Slingers, however, is lame as shit. I award you no points.  If you can get a slot on the virtual queue go for it, but honestly it was not even close to being worth waiting until 6;30 at night (our time slot) and then another 45 once you actually get in line.  

All the sit down restaurants were booked so all we had was quick serve, which was fine.  You do have to order your food an hour or two in advance in the popular areas like Avengers or Star Wars.  Beer and drinks have to be preordered too, but I found that if I had an order to be ready at say, 2, and showed up at 1:30, they just poured it and sent me on my way.

Over my life I've been to Disney about half a dozen times, and I never knew you could actually go into Snow White's castle.  Well, you can.  It's pedestrian, but a first for me.

Interesting. I think we're going to wait until Maxpass returns to DLR before we go again. It made everything so much easier.

The virtual boarding groups terrifies me a bit since it's so hit or miss and Disney has a terrible history with their online queues. It looks like virtual queues and park reservations are here to stay though. I'm a bit terrified of the morning we're trying to do Hollywood Studios and trying to get that boarding party at 7am. But the upside is we're doing 2 mornings at HS so if we miss one, we can try for the 1pm time and do the Toy Story rides we had planned for the 2nd day or try again the next morning. 

I get to wake up at 4:55am on July 4th to try to book all our dining like Ohana and Oga's Cantina. We're only planning to do those and the Sci-Fi Drive In as our sit-down meals. The rest will just be quick service and maybe one Epcot dinner. The dumb added expense I'd debating right now is one of the dumb Boo Bash evenings as there are 2 of them when we're there. Part of me really wants that easy late night ability to ride rides. I just don't know if we'll have the energy for it and we may just want to stay in and go swimming. 

Staying at Boardwalk Inn July 22-27. Stayed there previously, pretty nice to be able to walk to the back entrance of Epcot plus can get the Skyliner from there as well.

Scored some nice dining reservations too. Among others:

Chefs de France at Epcot

Brown Derby at HS

Oga's Cantina at HS

Teppan Edo at Epcot

A bit anxious about the RotR virtual queue and everything since it's so different than anything we've had to do before at our many Disney trips, but we have two Hollywood Studios park pass days booked so hopefully we get it done. Have been to Galaxy's edge at DL but that was before RotR opened.

Looking forward to the trip, although the summer crowds and Florida heat make me exhausted just thinking about it.

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

Interesting. I think we're going to wait until Maxpass returns to DLR before we go again. It made everything so much easier.

The virtual boarding groups terrifies me a bit since it's so hit or miss and Disney has a terrible history with their online queues. It looks like virtual queues and park reservations are here to stay though. I'm a bit terrified of the morning we're trying to do Hollywood Studios and trying to get that boarding party at 7am. But the upside is we're doing 2 mornings at HS so if we miss one, we can try for the 1pm time and do the Toy Story rides we had planned for the 2nd day or try again the next morning. 

I get to wake up at 4:55am on July 4th to try to book all our dining like Ohana and Oga's Cantina. We're only planning to do those and the Sci-Fi Drive In as our sit-down meals. The rest will just be quick service and maybe one Epcot dinner. The dumb added expense I'd debating right now is one of the dumb Boo Bash evenings as there are 2 of them when we're there. Part of me really wants that easy late night ability to ride rides. I just don't know if we'll have the energy for it and we may just want to stay in and go swimming. 

I think Disney now knows after spending a billion dollars(allegedly) on the magic band system they could have gotten all the same info and crowd management from an app on guests' phones for pennies on the dollar.

Park reservations are definitely here to stay for Disney to manage staff allocation. They also make people like me who book a rooms only reservation and buys tickets a few days before arrival have to buy tickets to make both park and restaurant reservations.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Got our dining reservations this morning. That was a beating. Nothing like getting up at 4:50am on a holiday to deal with Disney's clunky site. But I got Oga's Cantina, the Sci-Fi Drive In, and Ohana's, which my wife wanted to go to. Now, I'm contemplating stupidly spending $250 so the oldest and me can be in the parks after hours for the Boo Bash, even though neither of us will dress up. We just want to ride Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, and Seven Dwarfs at night with minimal waiting. 

Staying at Boardwalk Inn July 22-27. Stayed there previously, pretty nice to be able to walk to the back entrance of Epcot plus can get the Skyliner from there as well.
Scored some nice dining reservations too. Among others:
Chefs de France at Epcot
Brown Derby at HS
Oga's Cantina at HS
Teppan Edo at Epcot

A bit anxious about the RotR virtual queue and everything since it's so different than anything we've had to do before at our many Disney trips, but we have two Hollywood Studios park pass days booked so hopefully we get it done. Have been to Galaxy's edge at DL but that was before RotR opened.
Looking forward to the trip, although the summer crowds and Florida heat make me exhausted just thinking about it.

f8367394fa3d6b6bd8aa4844180278f8.jpg

We did this step by step and went 1 for 1 in our only attempt

The key is to not hesitate once you’re joining. If you start selecting members who are going, you probably won’t make it

I saw on Disboard that you can do test runs on the Rise virtual queue every morning at 7am EST and 1pm EST through the app. Bring up the app and scroll down to the point where you see the AT-AT and the Join button. The exact second the seconds go from 59 to 00, keep hitting join. If you get to the screen where it says you do not have a park reservation for that day at 7am or if it asks is everyone in the parks at 1pm then you would've been successful at getting a boarding party had you had the park reservation or were inside Hollywood Studios at 1pm. 

• 3 weeks later...

Our first trip as a family to WDW was cancelled last year for obvious reasons. Wasn't really planning to try again this year, but went ahead and booked a week in October. The kids are at a good age and I don't want to miss the window. Hopefully things don't get out of control with Covid again. We're going to keep it a surprise this time which would also avoid the letdown if something changes and we're forced to cancel.

• Like 2

How are you doing without Fastpass? WDW reports are it’s a shitfest which makes me glad we’re going at supposed slower time. I think we’re going to try to attempt our aborted 2020 vacation to San Diego and DLR next summer. 

Rode pretty much everything between 8-5 except for Splash Mountain and Peter Pan. Did Matterhorn and Big Thunder twice. Most wait times were 20-30. The longest were Indy and Space Mountain at 45. Before noon, everything was 5-20 min.

Got a virtual queue pass for Web Slingers. What they don’t tell you is that from the point where you get it scanned, it’s another 90-120 minutes. I bailed after an hour and headed back to the hotel. Left my family in line. I’m doubting my I’ll even go to the park for the last day tomorrow. May just get a sixer and hang out at the pool.

I think trip #21 will be enough for me for a while. It has not been remotely enjoyable even though the crowds haven’t been too bad.

• Like 1

Let me interject here with a commentary:  Many people like to bitch about going to a theme park vs. a national park / state park, etc. & I'm all about both.

My greatest appreciation for Disney (for the most part) is how they run the entire operation.  As close to spotless as possible - you can't go 30 seconds without seeing a Cast Member doing some kind of cleanup.  The color selection for the various areas is impeccable.  The work done overnight to prepare for the next day's open is amazing as well.  We've been to Six Flags San Antonio & there really is no comparison... not saying SFSA is terribad, however it's like your 8th grade flag football team vs. the '77 Cowboys.

The moving parts that all come together, the attention to even the smallest of details, etc. all put this operation as a favorite of mine & something I review every time I'm there.

PS:  I'm also curious as to how the pay is & if you're put through some special selection to work in a Club 33 facility.  I could only hope to one day have the kind of coin required to join & maintain that membership... $ 50,000.00 to join (if a slot is available) & $ 15,000.00 per year to maintain.

• Like 1

Got a virtual queue pass for Web Slingers. What they don’t tell you is that from the point where you get it scanned, it’s another 90-120 minutes. I bailed after an hour and headed back to the hotel. Left my family in line. I’m doubting my I’ll even go to the park for the last day tomorrow. May just get a sixer and hang out at the pool.

I think trip #21 will be enough for me for a while. It has not been remotely enjoyable even though the crowds haven’t been too bad.

Yea you poor thing. Sixer poolside sounds awful. Ts and Ps

3 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

The schemes are almost cartoonish, but not over the top.  I'm no interior decorator, but whatever they are doing it works well.  & IDGAF about any "man card" commentary.

Yeah but how's the tpo seam work on the snack bars?  

Yeah but how's the tpo seam work on the snack bars?  
I actually see a lot of shit work @ Six Flags - walking to the top of some set of stairs, etc. (I recall something maybe around where they used to have the log ride) & it's a messy Mod Bit situation.  Very blobby - obvious it was a torch job vs. single ply or even S/A for the Mod Bit.  A similar area showed me some missing 3T's from a building that wasn't trying to look like shit. 

I put pics in my FB feed some years ago.
Disney designs their stuff so you don't actually ever get to see the top of the buildings, see the mechanicals, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Stephen A enjoying Magic Kingdom today with a private tour guide
27D24929-52A3-427F-A78F-D1AC05CF1809.thumb.jpeg.843139c43c7f672169fed7ab97c52b47.jpeg

Ah. Perks of being one of the highest paid talking heads on tv.

I was reading something about ROTR tours were now getting to ride the ride without having to do the lottery. Those tours were like 3-7 grand for 4 hours depending how much of a baller you were.

Sweet jorts

Ah. Perks of being one of the highest paid talking heads on tv.

I was reading something about ROTR tours were now getting to ride the ride without having to do the lottery. Those tours were like 3-7 grand for 4 hours depending how much of a baller you were.

Sweet jorts

At DLR, the last time I looked, it was $400 per hour with a minimum of 6 hours and a maximum of 10 people.

I saw way more private tours there this week than ever before. Wonder if that was driven by COVID and people avoiding lines if they can afford it.

Only way to Fastpass now. I'm telling you gents right now, paid Fastpass is coming. It's happening in DL Paris. Chapek is the type of corporate turd who will make you pay per ride to FP. The stories of how horrible the lines are at WDW right now are exactly what I would expect from a guy who wants to make you see how shitty it can be and then give  you an expensive option to never have to deal with that in the future. 

Got our AA miles towards a San Diego/Disneyland trip for end of school 2022 since it was fairly inexpensive and was about to go up. Booked a reservation at the Courtyard Anaheim across the street. This will be our final Disney trip until all the new stuff is up and running in WDW by 2023-2024. Wife wants to tour some National Parks next. 

At DLR, the last time I looked, it was $400 per hour with a minimum of 6 hours and a maximum of 10 people.

I saw way more private tours there this week than ever before. Wonder if that was driven by COVID and people avoiding lines if they can afford it.

That’s what it was. I mean yea they should be riding ROTR for spending that kind of cheddar.

21 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Always fun to be done with DAK at 2. Its quite warm here this week.

Yeah hot as fuck this week. We’ve been taking hotel/pool breaks every day in the 3-6pm range. We get to parks before opening so you can usually get plenty done before that. Today at Hollywood Studios was another story.

Lines were nuts but we walked on Tower of Terror at opening and then waited 45 for Slinky Dog with one of our party who didn’t ride TT getting in the line at opening. Rise of Resistance broke down halfway thru today, but we got the whole thing the other day. Pretty awesome.

In general, yeah parks are very busy. People everywhere and lines all extend outside the actual ride queue areas. But wait times are almost always shorter than advertised, of course they also include ride time. The heat is what takes the toll rather than the waiting.

Loved the new Mickey and Minnie ride, a new classic. Epcot food and wine festival is pretty great too with little bites and drinks. Many of the booths aren’t open yet but had some good stuff yesterday.

Boardwalk Inn is great for convenience, walk to Epcot or HS. 24 hours left in the trip, been pretty great so far. But very very sweaty.

Be thankful you didn’t need to mask up when it was flirting with record temps of 95 in late March. Everywhere. Can’t wait to go back without the mask. Thinking about going again in March. That place was awesome. My wife made a45 min family video collage a few days ago. Watching it gives me the urge more and more. It’s fun being a kid again haha

1 hour ago, LonghornSean said:

Boardwalk Inn is great for convenience, walk to Epcot or HS. 24 hours left in the trip, been pretty great so far. But very very sweaty.

How's the Boardwalk shuttle to the Magic Kingdom running? Since we're staying at Swan and they aren't doing buses straight to the Disney bus drop next to the gate, we're going to walk over to the Boardwalk shuttle stop and jump on. I'm excited that HS and Epcot are within walking distance to our hotel. Hoping to time it where we can blow past all the buses to get in line for rope drop at HS and grab that Millenium Falcon ride one morning and Slinky Dog the next. 

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Be thankful you didn’t need to mask up when it was flirting with record temps of 95 in late March. Everywhere. Can’t wait to go back without the mask. Thinking about going again in March. That place was awesome. My wife made a45 min family video collage a few days ago. Watching it gives me the urge more and more. It’s fun being a kid again haha

You owe it to yourself to go to Disneyland, if you've never been. Especially if your kids are young. Cars Land is fantastic and the Avengers Campus is supposed to be great. It's not a billion degrees and you can stay in a hotel across the street and walk across a plaza to park hop. 

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Avengers Campus is supposed to be great. 

It's not.  There's nothing there. There's Web Slingers, which I passed on due to the wait. My wife and kids said they wouldn't do it again.  They unintentionally created a furnance for the queue. It's on bright concrete and the walls are metal. It just radiates heat like a solar oven. They put in some industrial fans on top of the wall but they don't help that much. There's Pym's Test Kitchen and the Shwarma trailer.  I did have a breakfast shwarma since that's about the only thing open for breakfast in CA.  It was good.  The big plus is that they always have a variety of characters out on the balcony. However, it's surprisingly far away. We had a debate whether the blonde was Captain Marvel or Black Widow. It was too far away to even tell what her costume looked like.  Same thing with the jet. It's so far away, you barely notice it's there. The jumping Spiderman? That never happened once. I assume it was broken and they haven't been able to fix it. A random guy there said he'd been there a half dozen times since it debuted and hasn't seen it once. As far as the design, the buildings don't look like anything in particular. Wow, a brick wall that says "Stark something". Wow a metal wall with the Avengers logo. Cool.  

I'd imagine it's small but if you're a Marvel fan, it looks like a fun place to visit. Not sure of the its future status but there's supposed to be a 2nd E-Ticket ride being built behind the Avengers building that would be an Avengers' Rise of the Resistance type ride on a Quinjet.

I think you made the classic Disney error of going to a new land on the summer it opened. It's why I'm not sad we'll miss Ratatouille by a month.  Well that and the wife and I already rode in at DLP 5 years ago. That'll be a 2-3 hour wait to ride and it constantly goes down. Not worth it. We won't be back until Tron has been broken in for at least a year. 

9 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Yeah hot as fuck this week. We’ve been taking hotel/pool breaks every day in the 3-6pm range. We get to parks before opening so you can usually get plenty done before that. Today at Hollywood Studios was another story.

Lines were nuts but we walked on Tower of Terror at opening and then waited 45 for Slinky Dog with one of our party who didn’t ride TT getting in the line at opening. Rise of Resistance broke down halfway thru today, but we got the whole thing the other day. Pretty awesome.

In general, yeah parks are very busy. People everywhere and lines all extend outside the actual ride queue areas. But wait times are almost always shorter than advertised, of course they also include ride time. The heat is what takes the toll rather than the waiting.

Loved the new Mickey and Minnie ride, a new classic. Epcot food and wine festival is pretty great too with little bites and drinks. Many of the booths aren’t open yet but had some good stuff yesterday.

Hey I was at HS today too. We were lucky to get on RotR after the 4 hr shutdown.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:05 PM, mdmost said:

How's the Boardwalk shuttle to the Magic Kingdom running? Since we're staying at Swan and they aren't doing buses straight to the Disney bus drop next to the gate, we're going to walk over to the Boardwalk shuttle stop and jump on. I'm excited that HS and Epcot are within walking distance to our hotel. Hoping to time it where we can blow past all the buses to get in line for rope drop at HS and grab that Millenium Falcon ride one morning and Slinky Dog the next. 

Magic Kingdom busses were pretty convenient from Boardwalk. Seem to run every 20 minutes or so, plus you can check the app to see when the next one will arrive at the resort. Although I’m not sure if that works if you’re not staying at that hotel.

Also nice that it was a direct line to MK, without stopping at another hotel, which they do on some of the routes.

Edited by LonghornSean

Forgot to mention this. Everyone has thought about how to sneak people into DLR and now is the time.  Pre-COVID, they would take your photo and name link it to a ticket so that every time you returned to the park, they'd verify you against your photo and name. They're not doing that at all right now. So, one person could walk out of the park with tickets from those already in the park and use them to get other people in park. There's no paper Fast Passes right now so there's no use for your ticket other than getting in the gate.

Edited by CooterBrown

49 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Magic Kingdom busses were pretty convenient from Boardwalk. Seem to run every 20 minutes or so, plus you can check the app to see when the next one will arrive at the resort. Although I’m not sure if that works if you’re not staying at that hotel.

Also nice that it was a direct line to MK, without stopping at another hotel, which they do on some of the routes.

Thanks. Where is that on the app? I'd imagine things pop up when you turn location services on and you're in the resort area. I know the Disney buses are free for anyone to use. The Swan switched away from the Disney shuttles and is now stuck with having to go to the Ticket and Transportation Center by the Polynesian and they don't run quite as often. So if we were trying to rope drop MK, it would be harder to get there early. Plus when returning, we can take either the Boardwalk or Yacht/Beach Club buses to get back and just walk a few minutes back to our hotel. 

On 7/27/2021 at 3:28 PM, mdmost said:

Thanks. Where is that on the app? I'd imagine things pop up when you turn location services on and you're in the resort area. I know the Disney buses are free for anyone to use. The Swan switched away from the Disney shuttles and is now stuck with having to go to the Ticket and Transportation Center by the Polynesian and they don't run quite as often. So if we were trying to rope drop MK, it would be harder to get there early. Plus when returning, we can take either the Boardwalk or Yacht/Beach Club buses to get back and just walk a few minutes back to our hotel. 

I could only find it from the menu button (bottom right), then Resort Hotel. So it was tied to my reservation. Of course that wouldn't stop you from walking to the bus stop, which has a screen listing the same info on bus arrival.

Good thing today is my last day. 

We come about once every 3 years and everytime I say "this is the last time for a decade". Then I go home and start listening to the Jeremy Irons version of Spaceship Earth and I get the feels again. 

Edited by SimonBolivar

Given how Delta is going in Florida, I'm completely fine with Disney requiring masks indoors again. Granted, it's a tad bit toothless given they haven't throttled back capacity which would also make sense. We were already planning to wear masks indoors and try out best to eat outdoors since our 11 year old is the only one not vaxxed. She's completely fine with wearing masks, given she did it for an entire school year and knows she'll have to keep doing it this school year. So we're going to defer to her on how she feels when we're there. I'm hoping the mask mandate will make people cancel their reservations or move them when we're going to be there. I've already seen lots of posts on Disboards of people saying they were going to move their dates now. 

I am heading to FL in less than a week with stops in GA and TN on the way back. 2 kids under 12, it looks as if we're going to be doing nothing but beach, pool (the house we rented has a pool) and carryout. So sick of Covid. :(

You all are making me really want to book another trip to WDW. I probably will have to for the 50th anniversary thing. I took the wife before we were married and she turned 21. It was the 25th anniversary and the castle was all done up in pink like some kind of gingerbread house on crack. I think it's only fitting that we go back with the kids for 50. 

Edited by Baboontyme

Given how Delta is going in Florida, I'm completely fine with Disney requiring masks indoors again. Granted, it's a tad bit toothless given they haven't throttled back capacity which would also make sense. We were already planning to wear masks indoors and try out best to eat outdoors since our 11 year old is the only one not vaxxed. She's completely fine with wearing masks, given she did it for an entire school year and knows she'll have to keep doing it this school year. So we're going to defer to her on how she feels when we're there. I'm hoping the mask mandate will make people cancel their reservations or move them when we're going to be there. I've already seen lots of posts on Disboards of people saying they were going to move their dates now. 

Can’t blame em. It sucks. Seeing your kids’ face is the joy of Disney.

Disney is the bomb for moving dates. Hopefully the US can peak here with delta soon the go back to what it was.

The people going next week are going to be pissed but at least you can be outside walking around without one. Which is about 80% of anything

3 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I am heading to FL in less than a week with stops in GA and TN on the way back. 2 kids under 12, it looks as if we're going to be doing nothing but beach, pool (the house we rented has a pool) and carryout. So sick of Covid. :(

You all are making me really want to book another trip to WDW. I probably will have to for the 50th anniversary thing. I took the wife before we were married and she turned 21. It was the 25th anniversary and the castle was all done up in pink like some kind of gingerbread house on crack. I think it's only fitting that we go back with the kids for 50. 

You’re going right through the middle of fuck everybody land. FL has been slam packed all summer. We’ve been at our place since school let out and I’ve never seen so many people down this far. It also hasn’t been the usual crowd we normally deal with, it’s been a little more rough around the edges.