tAll Encompassing Disney Thread

Baboontyme

It’s not my thing either, but my wife and kids are all about it. However, they are also Disney/animated fans. We own every movie, they go see every movie in the theater, etc. We also didn’t take them until they were a little older (maybe 7 and 10) so they had it built up in their heads for years and were all in. By Fall Break we will have been to DL, WDW, and both Universals in 10 months (been to WDW a couple of other times in the last 2.5 years), so i’ve told them they are on their own from here on out. I did my part.

Edited by Brew

Your kids won't be tall enough for some of the rides that you would want to use Fastpasses on

Magic Kingdom

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – 40"

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train – 38″

• Space Mountain – 44″
  • Splash Mountain – 40″
  • The Barnstormer – 35″
  • Tomorrowland Speedway – 32″

Epcot

• Mission: Space (Green) – 44″
  • Mission: Space (Orange) – 44″
  • Soarin’ – 40″
  • Test Track – 40″

Disney’s Hollywood Studios

• Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith – 48″
  • Star Tours: The Adventures Continue – 40″
  • Twilight Zone Tower of Terror – 40″

Disney’s Animal Kingdom

• DINOSAUR – 40″
  • Expedition Everest – 44″
  • Flight of Passage – 44″
  • Kali River Rapids – 38″
  • Primeval Whirl – 48″

How tall are they? You might just need to look at it from a do you want to wait in a line perspective. 

Edited by mdmost

Booked our flight to DLR for the Christmas trip. Used miles because the exchange was pretty good for the time of year and it unlocked the best part of the whole process: flying out of SNA. It's a damned treat as you avoid the LAX shitshow. Just sad they didn't have any good flights coming into SNA. So now we can stay a good portion of the day at DLR/CA the day we fly out. Around 3 we will grab our bags and head to SNA which is about 25 minutes away and has next to no TSA security wait. 

Edited by mdmost

Disney has started cracking down on the shoes, hats, buns, etc ploys when measuring height. I've seen cast members make kids take shoes off and negotiate around buns for height measurements of late.  People are stupid to cheat when the restrictions are for kids safety. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

32 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Disney has started cracking down on the shoes, hats, buns, etc ploys when measuring height. I've seen cast members make kids take shoes off and negotiate around buns for height measurements of late.  People are stupid to cheat when the restrictions are for kids safety. 

Sounds like you ran into some angry cast members. 

19 hours ago, mdmost said:

Your kids won't be tall enough for some of the rides that you would want to use Fastpasses on

Magic Kingdom

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – 40"

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train – 38″

• Space Mountain – 44″
  • Splash Mountain – 40″
  • The Barnstormer – 35″
  • Tomorrowland Speedway – 32″

Epcot

• Mission: Space (Green) – 44″
  • Mission: Space (Orange) – 44″
  • Soarin’ – 40″
  • Test Track – 40″

Disney’s Hollywood Studios

• Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith – 48″
  • Star Tours: The Adventures Continue – 40″
  • Twilight Zone Tower of Terror – 40″

Disney’s Animal Kingdom

• DINOSAUR – 40″
  • Expedition Everest – 44″
  • Flight of Passage – 44″
  • Kali River Rapids – 38″
  • Primeval Whirl – 48″

How tall are they? You might just need to look at it from a do you want to wait in a line perspective. 

Makes sense. They’re 42” and 38”. 

Yeah, that age is going to make some of the bigger rides a no-go. Your younger one is going to have trouble with most of them. If your older one is brave enough, do all the ones he is tall enough for and assuming your wife is going, you can do the rider swap. It's a way both you and your spouse can ride and the older gets to ride twice. You all go in the line but at the end, you ask for a rider swap and they will have you or your spouse stay with the younger one, while the other rides with the older one. My oldest got to ride Space Mountain multiple times with this. 

So based on those heights, try to book these Fastpasses:

MK- Seven Dwarves (all can ride), Big Thunder Mountain (older only), Splash Mountain (older), and if those fall through try for Tomorrowland Speedway since all can ride it. 

Epcot- Soarin' and Test Track for your oldest. Wife can take the younger to Nemo or Journey Into Imagination.

Hollywood Studios- Star Tours (older), Midway Mania, and the new Toy Story Slinky Dog Coaster.

AK- Kali and Dinosaur are all your oldest can do. The Safari I think takes FP.

On 7/31/2018 at 12:36 AM, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

It appears we were there and did the same things. If you don't mind me asking, how old are your kids? We stayed a block away on Walnut St. at the Holiday Inn where the kids enjoyed socializing with other elementary kids their age at the pool and splash pad more than anything it seems, which was cool.

Anyways, I echo the "classic" park was surprisingly in good shape (e.g. rides not chipped, paint not peeling, etc.) for being as dated as they were.

Radiator Springs was cool and that ride was my favorite-- we ate lunch at Flo's V8 cafe and the food was gross. The Ratatouille restaurant or whatever had no inside (A/C) seating and the Pacific Wharf food was gross. The kids enjoyed the Ghiradelli root beer floats as we left at 10 to go back to DL. 

The Bugs Land area was very tame and pretty juvenile for 8 year olds; especially ones that haven't seen or maybe seen once The Bug Life movie or whatever it's called. The reason I said Pixar land was a let down was because there was one cool ride "Incredicoaster" and we got a fast pass for the Toy Story Mania thing and it turned out to be some lame shooter game.

Ultimately after having some time to reflect on it, I think I just didn't know what to expect and my expectation were too high. I never went to WDW or DL when I was a kid, I just remember people talking about it like it was some cure-all, awesome, magical place and all you had to do was get a flight, a hotel and tickets and you don't have to bring anything to the table, you will just be completely bowled over. I did almost no research (basically consisted of going to Sam's to buy a $500 gift card per the advice of this thread) and we aren't a Disney family, so it's my fault for having unrealistic or faulty expectations. I'm sorry to those I offended earlier when I was like "blah" without explaining more fully-- I get that some people just have a huge thing for Disney and really enjoy the world(s) they've created or something...we have a family member who is like that (though we consider her to be unhealthy and her level of idolization extremely weird and use her as a cautionary tale with our kids), so I know it's a thing.

Now, if there was a Kung Fu Panda world, I think we'd have been all in :0

Sorry it took me so long to respond. My kids are 9 and 11. We wanted to stay at a hotel with a nicer pool (the Courtyard would have been ideal) - just didn't have the price point that worked for us. If we go back in the near future I'll definitely consider that more.

Our family is pretty big into Disney - kids love the movies, my daughter (11) still loves meeting the princesses, and now that they have added Marvel that's two things (Star Wars and Marvel) that my son goes nuts over. You dont' have to be that into Disney to enjoy a Disney trip but IMHO WDW is better for that. DL is really for Disney freaks - I saw more families in matching shirts and "Disneyed up" there than I ever remember seeing at WDW. There are some SERIOUS Disney freaks in that park.

Our trip crowd calculator has been updated (scale is 1-10 with 10 being the busiest)

Sep 9
SUN
H: 91°F
L: 72°F
Low
WDW Crowds 1
Low
MK 1

Select Parks
Sep 10
MON
H: 90°F
Low
WDW Crowds 2
Low
HS 1

Select Parks
Sep 11
TUE
Low
WDW Crowds 1
Low
EP 1

Select Parks
Sep 12
WED
Low
WDW Crowds 1
Low
AK 1

Select Parks
Sep 13
THU
Low
WDW Crowds 1
Low
EP 1

Select Parks
Sep 14
FRI
Low
WDW Crowds 1
Low
MK 1

Select Parks

As of last week it was showing the 10th as a 4 out of 10 and a couple of the others as 2 out of 10.

Edited by SimonBolivar

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Heading out on Disney cruise out of Port Canaveral next week. Any tips/tricks to know about on the boat?  All our excursions etc have been booked.  I have to dress like a pirate one night?

just actually got back this weekend from a week on the disney dream with my 5 and 4 year old daughters.  they loved it and had a blast.  i spent the whole time realizing that we are fucked as a species...if nothing else, due to how fucking fat everyone is.

anyway, the pirate stuff is one of the better things they do...but the late night show is better unless your kids are really little.  the live shows in the disney theatre weren't terrible...if your kids are beauty and the beast fans, they will love the live show.  if they are into character meets, be sure to just check the schedule in the atrium each day and plan it out or you will be in lines.  if your kids are into princess shit, as soon as you get on, go to guest services and ask them what tickets they have for princess meets...there are a lot of those that require tickets and the line is much worse than if you are just trying to meet them in the wild.  characters were easy except for mickey and minnie.

you are a complete moron if you get off the boat in nassau.  it is a complete clusterfuck and a humongous waste of money.  it is also the perfect time to be on the boat because it's relatively empty and the lines for everything are much smaller. the pools are only 2/3rds full instead of 5/3rds.  all the sports stuff on the top decks is empty in the evenings so that's a good time to do the putt-putt, etc...  castaway cay is a better spot to get off but it depends on how old your kids are and the type of stuff you want to do there as well.

food sucks but you should be prepared for that, it's a cruise.  the movie theatre on the boat has a lot of new releases so not a bad option.  the kid's club was pretty solid which is good if you want to drop kids off for a while.  the day at sea will be a nightmare on lines so do the little water coaster, major character greets, etc... on the other days.

13 hours ago, sidis said:

just actually got back this weekend from a week on the disney dream with my 5 and 4 year old daughters.  they loved it and had a blast.  i spent the whole time realizing that we are fucked as a species...if nothing else, due to how fucking fat everyone is.

anyway, the pirate stuff is one of the better things they do...but the late night show is better unless your kids are really little.  the live shows in the disney theatre weren't terrible...if your kids are beauty and the beast fans, they will love the live show.  if they are into character meets, be sure to just check the schedule in the atrium each day and plan it out or you will be in lines.  if your kids are into princess shit, as soon as you get on, go to guest services and ask them what tickets they have for princess meets...there are a lot of those that require tickets and the line is much worse than if you are just trying to meet them in the wild.  characters were easy except for mickey and minnie.

you are a complete moron if you get off the boat in nassau.  it is a complete clusterfuck and a humongous waste of money.  it is also the perfect time to be on the boat because it's relatively empty and the lines for everything are much smaller. the pools are only 2/3rds full instead of 5/3rds.  all the sports stuff on the top decks is empty in the evenings so that's a good time to do the putt-putt, etc...  castaway cay is a better spot to get off but it depends on how old your kids are and the type of stuff you want to do there as well.

food sucks but you should be prepared for that, it's a cruise.  the movie theatre on the boat has a lot of new releases so not a bad option.  the kid's club was pretty solid which is good if you want to drop kids off for a while.  the day at sea will be a nightmare on lines so do the little water coaster, major character greets, etc... on the other days.

Thanks for the info.  We already booked to get off in Nassau at Atlantis to do the water park stuff.  My older ones have been before and loved it and wanted to do it again. Hopefully it will be a little less crowded than usual since we are going after a lot of schools have started back up again. 

On 7/8/2018 at 9:02 PM, Baboontyme said:

It's fine as long as you plan properly. We went when my daughter was ~ 8 months old and my son was 3. In August. We did the mid-day break, I planned everything to the 9s, and we had a great trip. 

I priced Mickey's Halloween Party last night - only $100 a day? Am I missing something? Do I need to buy a regular park ticket, as well?

We did that a few years ago and the kids loved it.  Great way to get a lot of rides in on the popular rides, too.  It runs late, though.  I think it wrapped up around midnight?

On 7/29/2018 at 8:49 PM, Baboontyme said:

That River ride is short and stupid. FoP is a pretty cool ride and the whole scene is pretty amazing but I kind of think it was a giant waste of resources. I know Avatar made a ton of money in the theater and perhaps I'm out of touch.. But does anyone really give a shit about any of it?

Avatar 2 and 3 are being made right now.  Disney made Avatar world in anticipation of those.

On 7/30/2018 at 10:33 AM, ROFL BOX said:

If you're going to compare theme parks, the two things that Disney excels @ are going to be the overall attitude of the park employees ("Cast Members", even down to the receptionist for an office located in North Dakota that produces stuffed animals) & the cleanliness in the parks.

It's almost like you're going to have someone every 25 ft. who is ready to scoop up an errant straw.  100% most clean facility & they do a great job of hiding the speakers that are pumping out a pleasant, "Disney-fied" sound track to keep your brain in Happiest Place on Earth mode.

Even little things like access doors are hidden better at Disney than anywhere else.  While at Universal Orlando (same trip as Disney), my wife commented to me that you'd never see the things at Disney that you can see at Universal.  And Universal is really well done.

36 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Even little things like access doors are hidden better at Disney than anywhere else.  

Disney developed a paint color they call "Go Away Green" or "No See Um Green". It's that dull green-gray that you don't ever notice until you know about it. Everything they don't want you to see is painted this color. There are youtube videos out there that describe the effect of how your eyes just look past it due to the color. 

Edited by CooterBrown

Just got back from Disneyland/California Adventure - first trip since I was in preschool or grade school. Haven't read through the whole thread so apologies if this has already been said.
The area around the park leaves much to be desired, but the hotels are reasonable and there are some great options right across from the parks. Stayed at SpringHill Suites which was great. The new Residence Inn attached to it is also highly rated, and I was tempted to book the Hyatt House. All are in a great location and have free breakfast - free anything for a Disney trip is a good deal. Disneyland is plopped right in the middle of Anaheim so you don't get the same immersion that you do at WDW even if staying on property. 
As for the parks themselves - they are VERY good and different from WDW in a lot of ways. The nice thing is that Disneyland has a lot of the "classic" rides that have not only been kept up better than WDW but have been updated. So it felt like I was at WDW as a kid in the 70s but as a grownup with my own kids. 
California Adventure is everything that Hollywood Studios should be - just an amazing park. I was most impressed with Cars Land - they did a great job bringing Radiator Springs to life and the character experiences are top notch. Lightning and Mater interact with the kids during photo shoots (there's some dude in the car who controls everything). The new Pixar Pier is great and isn't even finished yet. 
Finally if you can go during Pixar Fest do so - the nighttime electrical parade at California Adventure is "Paint the Night" is almost worth the price of admission.

We went last fall and not going again till the fall of 2020. Hoping the Pixar and Star Wars stuff dies down a little by then. I think I spent 30% of my time in the Cars land. But the main ride was one of my favorite in all of Disneyland. And the others were perfect for young kids (4,4,2). Fucking toy shops in Cars Land was almost the end of me with my boys.
  • Like 1

Day 1, did Epcot. 

Day 2 Ron Jon & Cocoa.  Slept in until probably 11a.

Day 3 (yesterday), Universal.  Probably 1/3 of the time was @ Potter / Diagon.  Enjoyed it, max 25 min. for most of the lines & they do quite well @ managing the line so it doesn't seem as long as it actually is.  Kids each got a Potter wand & spent plenty of time making stuff happen in Diagon Alley.

Day 4 (today), visited with my  ...Grandmother's niece's husband (2nd cousin to me, by marriage?).  His wife passed away around 3.5 years ago; smoked prob. 1.5 to 2 packs a day.  His daughter & husband came over & her daughter showed up around 30 minutes later.  Jim is having his bladder removed  (cancerous, also a heavy smoker, *finally* quit after his wife died) in around 1 week & he's obviously nervous about it.  These 3 are my final family members for the Orlando area; all have moved away or died.  Thousands of childhood memories wrapped up in Jim & his end of the family.

Had lunch with them & then dinner with a friend & her 2 kids.  She lives in the same house she was adopted into; it's 2 doors over from where my Grandmother's house was in Winter Park & she's the person I've known longest other than family; probably 1st met her when I was around 4 years old.  We went to Reel Fish Coastal Kitchen in WP & it was good stuff.

Day 5, tomorrow, Magic Kingdom.  We'll hit it @ 1300; I've got a Lauderdale friend that came up & is overnighting @ $ 65 / ea for tonight / tomorrow night, will park with us.  So far, all is quite well.  Spending limited $$ on trinkets & misc., most is going  towards park food.

We fly out Monday AM.

PS:  If in Universal, the frozen "Butter Beer" is better than the cold variety.  I don't know what they do to it, but the frozen stayed "frozey" for prob. close to 15 minutes.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but it is Sunday and I am too lazy to go back.

What age do you think is the best age for a kid's first visit to Disney?  My brother in law has a conference there in January, so they are taking our 3.5 year old and have invited us.  Our daughter will be 2.25, but it seems a little wasteful to me at that age.  She won't know many of the characters and won't remember it really at all IMO.

What say you?

I mean it's Disney so the kid will be blown away by it all. She won't really remember it but it could still be fun. You're severely limited in what you can do as there aren't a ton of rides for her but stuff like Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom could be a pretty big hit. You'll just have to add in breaks and downtime. If she likes costumes and dressing up, you could do the princess boutique as that's a big hit. It could be a fun age to take a little girl as everything will be magical to her.

They have a list of attractions for preschool kids. If you like your brother in law, I'd say go. If not, I'd wait till your kid was older. We didn't go until the youngest was 5. If you're still in the nap phase, I'd pass but others on here have gone with younger kids. I don't think there's really a bad answer other than if you don't want to spend the money.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/#/preschoolers/

Edited by mdmost

Just got back from Disney Cruise with one day Magic Kingdom stop. 

The cruise was fun. I’m not a big cruise fan, but it was of course well done like all Disney things.  All the characters there, good kid’s activities, had the Royal Tea, bibbidi, bobbidi etc.  

Food was hit or miss at times. Some seated dinners really good. Others meh.  Had dinner one night at adult only Palo. It was excellent Italian meal.

One huge selling point is their kid’s club. Price already included so no cost for kids to go in and out as they wanted and they loved it there.  Easy for adults to sneak away for an hour or two every day.

The shows at night were very good, especially Beauty and the Beast and the Believe show.

In Nassau we did Atlantis which was fun although some lines.  The Castaway Cay stop was fun, but the beach is nicer at Atlantis.  

At Magic Kingdom did the usual stuff. Biggest key imo if you can swing it is the private guides. You don’t have to do the official Disney ones.  There are unaffiliated ones that are cheaper, but still not cheap necessarily. Nonetheless, still worth it.  We did about 15 different rides/attractions in a little over 6 hours.  The only time we waited more than 5 minutes for a ride was 10 For Space Mountain. They have unlimited fast passes.  And I never once looked at a map.  Just followed the guy around and had fun with the kids. 

And I would never go with a kid less than 4.  They get too tired and won’t remember anyway and you’ll be back. If you don’t mind those things, then go as much as you please. 

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

What are these bootleg guides? How do they get the fast passes?

https://www.eliteorlandoviptours.com/

These are the people we’ve used. Multiple friends and their families have also used them and been very satisfied. 

All I know is some times you tap your bracelet, sometimes they have paper fast passes, sometimes they just talk to line operators they know and you’re whisked to front.  It’s pretty cool. I guess they know people. They’re there every day.  

On 8/26/2018 at 3:25 PM, GRHorn said:

https://www.eliteorlandoviptours.com/

These are the people we’ve used. Multiple friends and their families have also used them and been very satisfied. 

All I know is some times you tap your bracelet, sometimes they have paper fast passes, sometimes they just talk to line operators they know and you’re whisked to front.  It’s pretty cool. I guess they know people. They’re there every day.  

They've got a crew that enter the park with a Magic Band/cards that have FP+s booked and hand off the bands to the guide allowing them use them.  Disney would have to put biometric readers at the rides in addition to the entrance gates to stop it.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

On 8/19/2018 at 6:47 PM, Stringer said:

I'm sure this has been discussed, but it is Sunday and I am too lazy to go back.

What age do you think is the best age for a kid's first visit to Disney?  My brother in law has a conference there in January, so they are taking our 3.5 year old and have invited us.  Our daughter will be 2.25, but it seems a little wasteful to me at that age.  She won't know many of the characters and won't remember it really at all IMO.

What say you?

At those ages it is likely that neither kid will remember anything but the hotel pool.

21 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

At those ages it is likely that neither kid will remember anything but the hotel pool.

Hah it's funny what kids remember. I remember going in 1996, but I don't really remember many of the rides from that time (and who knows if I'm remembering 1996 or the 20 times I've been since). I do remember running around the football field at the All-Star Sports before my parents said it was time to go inside because Dallas was going to be playing MNF vs the Eagles. Wikipedia tells me that was September 30 1996.

Edited by SimonBolivar

My kid loves to go to DL/CA every year. He’s 10. He’s actually not the biggest fan of Disney movies, but he loves going to the parks. I love being there with him and riding rides with him.  It’s definitely not really my thing. The parks are generally old and pretty shitty. It’s mostly a trip to spend 80% of your time doing nothing but waiting in line.  We have stayed on property at the grand California and the service there would need to improve immensely to suck. Those people dgaf about anything. They’re like airline employees. We have stayed at some form of marriottt across the street the last couple of years. It’s been fine.  Roscoes chicken and waffles up the road has to be the most overrated fried. Hi Ken on the planet. Give me gus’s breakfast klun or Popeyes. 

I will say I don’t love seeing the place decorated for Christmas. It’s amazing. Also cool to escape for a bit to the ESPN cafe and watch some bowl games. 

7 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

We specifically went back so soon because my daughter that had just turned 3 at the time told my wife this spring that she didn’t remember anything.  Voila we were back this summer. 

13 hours ago, GRHorn said:

We specifically went back so soon because my daughter that had just turned 3 at the time told my wife this spring that she didn’t remember anything.  Voila we were back this summer. 

I always say, trips before 5 years old are for the wife's memories/scrapbooking.  That said they can still be fun. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

• 2 weeks later...

In LA for bidness, had a day to kill so went for about the 10th time. I'm an old so the rides are not that important to me, although it brings awe to my old heart thinking how many/most of the old rides are "analogue". Designed, engineered and built long before computers. Gears, pulleys, cams, pneumatics..all mechanical. Small World is simply a magnificent machine. Dumbo, a stunning beautiful machine. The landscaping is a world class garden. I walked around the corner from Pirates ride and there was a 5 piece band performing sea shantys, or is it chanties. All 5 wonderful musicians and singers. Front man played tin whistle. Wonderful. Where else can you hear rare vintage music performed by world class musicians. It it was a spiritual experience. Then around another corner there was world class Dixieland. The amount and quality of music tempers the expensive price of admission.

• Like 1

I always make it a point to hear the The Dapper Dans when I go to either park. At Halloween, they were on a small barge in the river next to Pirates singing Halloween songs and the Haunted Mansion theme. I hope they do Christmas songs when we go in December. Also make it a point to hear the Disneyland Band perform in front of the castle. I'm excited for the trip because all our past trips involved trying to shove a bunch of rides in. We have a day set aside where we're just going to take it slow, ride the vehicles on Main Street, take the train around the entire park, and take in all the little things that make it a fun place to visit. I'd like to check out the Flag Retreat at 5pm where the band plays as they bring down the flag for the evening. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just back and it'll be a good 5-10 years before I want to go again. Like always I loved the Peoplemover, SSE, and Tower of Terror. Studios feels empty without The Great Movie Ride. There really is no off season anymore and while the lines were reasonable it just felt crowded especially at the resort. It seemed like there were more ambulatory people in scooters which was super annoying. It was my first time staying at a value since I was a kid and I won't be making that mistake again. The buses were a stinky and full mess everyday.

The wife and I will be returning to WDW in February for five days. No children. We were there just last February, but the daughter of some friends will be in the college program, and I have a former student working in the parks. Reservations are made for Port Orleans French Quarter, California Grill, Tiffins, and La Hacienda de San Angel (for the fireworks). I'd like to try Jaleo in Disney Springs, if possible. I've been a fan of Jose Andres ever since I watch the elBulli episode with Anthony Bourdain.

Any other recommendations for Disney Springs?

On 9/17/2018 at 7:05 PM, Woland said:

The wife and I will be returning to WDW in February for five days. No children. We were there just last February, but the daughter of some friends will be in the college program, and I have a former student working in the parks. Reservations are made for Port Orleans French Quarter, California Grill, Tiffins, and La Hacienda de San Angel (for the fireworks). I'd like to try Jaleo in Disney Springs, if possible. I've been a fan of Jose Andres ever since I watch the elBulli episode with Anthony Bourdain.

Any other recommendations for Disney Springs?

No children?

there are adults that go to Disney without children.  They're called. "WEIRDOS"  Even the Comicon people are like. "Yeah, they're a little frightening" /Gaffigan

16 hours ago, mdmost said:

We're a month out from Universal Orlando. Any good tips like places to eat? All I know is get the butter beer.

Yeah.  Butter beer is not real beer.  Found that out the hard way.  I was wondering why so many children were drinking it 

The restaurant just outside the park is really good.  Toothsome Chocolate Emporium.  The waiters dress up in character.