Hey Steel Shank!

17 hours ago, cam4mav said:

I think HEB has something in the same vein I read on here or shaggy years ago if you're in HEB land. I'm in Seattle so I don't know if it's similar. 

Basically it's this.

3 Avocados

1 cup mayo

1/2 cup water

2 serranos

half an average size cilantro bunch

1 green onion

1/4 cup pickled jalapenos

1 tbsp pickled jalapeno jar juice

salt, pepper, garlic powder (plenty!), onion powder (less than GP unless no green onion)

Juice 2 key limes or 1 reg lime

blend it, taste it, adjust as you want. Rough ratio's above, it's very easy to adjust after tasting. less serrano for kids, etc. 

Copied it from a line cook at a restaurant I worked at in Tucson AZ years ago in college. Call it Andy Salsa, he's a gangster. 

Great, thanks!  Might make a tuna melt edible

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

I like when the gravy is real thick on cfs. When you get a runny gravy it takes away from the crispiness of the CFS.

Actually, it should be Goldilocks gravy -- not too thick, not too thin.....JUST right.

And to make it even weirder, if you are a South Texas mexican like my dad.....you mix ketchup in the gravy.  This is a man who doesn't eat ketchup on anything, but when we get CFS, there it is.  He's been doing that since childhood, and so do all of his running buddies from down there.  It's a local thing, and I've seen a bunch of em do it.

• Like 1

That gravy, and the CFS, looks good, jameslaw; I'd go back for seconds. 

Brief aside: Am I in the minority in liking my gravy heavily peppered? I find the creaminess and richness of a well-made CFS or CFC with cream gravy needs some heat from pepper (and occasionally a hot sauce like Valentina's) to provide balance.  Thoughts?

• Like 4

Just now, Dutch said:

Brief aside: Am I in the minority in liking my gravy heavily peppered? I find the creaminess and richness of a well-made CFS or CFC with cream gravy needs some heat from pepper (and occasionally a hot sauce like Valentina's) to provide balance.  Thoughts?

I always pepper up my cream gravy.  Always.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Actually, it should be Goldilocks gravy -- not too thick, not too thin.....JUST right.

And to make it even weirder, if you are a South Texas mexican like my dad.....you mix ketchup in the gravy.  This is a man who doesn't eat ketchup on anything, but when we get CFS, there it is.  He's been doing that since childhood, and so do all of his running buddies from down there.  It's a local thing, and I've seen a bunch of em do it.

I've heard they put ketchup on tamales in South Texas.

31 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Plus one on the heavily peppered and salted. For an extra kick, when I've made fried chicken before, Adding Crystals (Or cholula) to the egg wash helps a little bit. I can't do that when the wife and kids eat my food though. Or red pepper flakes in the flour 

I’m from CenTex and I’ve been mixing gretchup on my CFS my entire life. It’s the only way I eat it.

Also, queso is pretty damn tasty on a CFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m from CenTex and I’ve been mixing gretchup on my CFS my entire life. It’s the only way I eat it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

No way. I don't think it's possible to use too much black pepper in cream gravy. I don't stop until my hand gets tired of grinding it (yeah, I know...I tried to phrase that multiple ways, but it's unavoidable).

• Like 1

No way. I don't think it's possible to use too much black pepper in cream gravy. I don't stop until my hand gets tired of grinding it (yeah, I know...I tried to phrase that multiple ways, but it's unavoidable).

Agreed. Same goes for a salad with ranch. Impossible to over-pepper.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

My mom would put peas in that and fuck it all up. 

Any kid that grew up in this country in the 60s-80s should get a medal of valor for eating the shit our mother's would whip up at home.  Especially the 60s.  Jello salads, "chicken a la king," all that shit.  Luckily I was an 80s kid, so the crazy shit that these companies were tricking housewives into making (torturing their families with) at home had tapered off quite a bit.  Still "kit" meals, but at least we were getting sloppy joes and Rice A Roni.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Any kid that grew up in this country in the 60s-80s should get a medal of valor for eating the shit our mother's would whip up at home.  Especially the 60s.  Jello salads, "chicken a la king," all that shit.  Luckily I was an 80s kid, so the crazy shit that these companies were tricking housewives into making (torturing their families with) at home had tapered off quite a bit.  Still "kit" meals, but at least we were getting sloppy joes and Rice A Roni.

Absolutely.  My mother had a paperback cookbook called "the hotdog cookbook."  It was everything you can imagine...and less.  It had a handful of recipes for the underlying dish -- mac and cheese, scrambled eggs, etc.   What made it the "hotdog cookbook?"  Ever fucking recipe ended with the same goddamned line: "cut up 3-4 hotdogs, stir into [whatever the fuck you made]."

1 -- that cookbook was clearly the pinnacle of modern convenience cooking at the time.

2 -- man, I fucking wish we still had that book, for the comedic value alone.

Also, if you don't love you an occasional pot of Kraft mac n cheese with some hotdog cut up in it, you are a commie who hates America.

• Like 1

I was never a big pepper fan until I started doing briskets and added way too much pepper to the rub one time. I didn't want to wash it off and do it over so I just smoked it and the bark turned out amazing. Now I add too much pepper to just about everything

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, if you don't love you an occasional pot of Kraft mac n cheese with some hotdog cut up in it, you are a commie who hates America.

In college I would cut up some Earl Campbell hot links to put in my Kraft mac n cheese.   I think the grease added some extra flavor.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Absolutely.  My mother had a paperback cookbook called "the hotdog cookbook."  It was everything you can imagine...and less.  It had a handful of recipes for the underlying dish -- mac and cheese, scrambled eggs, etc.   What made it the "hotdog cookbook?"  Ever fucking recipe ended with the same goddamned line: "cut up 3-4 hotdogs, stir into [whatever the fuck you made]."

1 -- that cookbook was clearly the pinnacle of modern convenience cooking at the time.

2 -- man, I fucking wish we still had that book, for the comedic value alone.

when I was growing up, my dad used to make a hot dog soup that was sort of a chowder, with Campbell’s tomato soup as the base, canned corn, sautéed onions, cubed potatoes, and cut up hot dogs.  I think he learned it in the Army or some shit.  I loved it.  

• Like 1