Hey Steel Shank!

On 8/25/2020 at 12:54 PM, RPM said:

Legit taco. You should quit smoking. Seriously. 

On 8/25/2020 at 1:44 PM, Hate said:

Damn, Of all the things to quit you chose drinking and other things over cigarettes?

giphy.gif

But seriously, good for you quitting those if you really needed to, but cigarettes are fucking awful.

On 8/25/2020 at 1:45 PM, RPM said:

Fuck that. Start drinking again and quit smoking. Not to derail a Shank thread, but you'll have a lot more fun drinking than smoking. Prolly live longer, too. I know more old drunks than old smokers.

Cholesterol gonna get all y'all judgey fuckers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, threesheets said:

That's the one they'll have 2-3 different bottles of on restaurant tables int Mexico right?  I dig.

Correct. The regular habanero sauce is great, but there’s an extra hot habanero as well that’s kinda smoky/has a roasted flavor...holy shit it’s hot but so good. 

Just now, Etexhorn13 said:

Correct. The regular habanero sauce is great, but there’s an extra hot habanero as well that’s kinda smoky/has a roasted flavor...holy shit it’s hot but so good. 

You talking the one that is dark as hell like almost purple? I love that one 

When I go too heavy on it in a recipe that I'm serving to my mom, she always comments "your South Texas is showing."  It's a solid poor-man's seasoning.

Good cumin is more important than chili to a batch of chili.

Add some cumin to your beef patties before you throw them on the flat top. You won’t be disappointed. Turns a burger up to 11.

39 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

I’ll give it a go and post results here. I HATE mustard though. Anyone try it with Mayo/Miracle Whip?

Condiments are a personal choice... unless you're @futureman, in which case, mayo is life.

I personally slather on a generous amount of sriracha or spicy brown mustard.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
your

Never had spam and don’t necessarily want to try it... I had bologna at a friends house a few times as a little kid but I associate those things with poverty, right or wrong. Maybe i shouldn’t as the friends house i ate it at was not poor at all. One gets a little jaded when your dad is a classically trained chef i guess. So i ask, what am I missing out on? Is it the salt bomb, or is there actually some legit flavor there that i need to make it a point to try? Is it a nostalgia thing that I just won’t understand since I’ve never eaten it?

Edited by Etexhorn13

Never had spam and don’t necessarily want to try it... I had bologna at a friends house a few times as a little kid but I associate those things with poverty, right or wrong. Maybe i shouldn’t as the friends house i ate it at was not poor at all. One gets a little jaded when your dad is a classically trained chef i guess. So i ask, what am I missing out on? Is it the salt bomb, or is there actually some legit flavor there that i need to make it a point to try? Is it a nostalgia thing that I just won’t understand since I’ve never eaten it?

It’s all of those things. Crispy salty chewy goodness on toast. And tastes like poor to lower middle class America.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fry up the Spam, sliced thin and crispy.  Then it is great added in to scrambled eggs and cheese, an omelette, or in a breakfast taco.  Serve Spam with rice, eggs and gravy for a Hawaiian loco moco.  Make Spam fried rice. Make Spam musubi.  Hawaiian Saimin soup with Spam is a classic.  I'm feeling that riff from Bubba about shrimp from the Forrest Gump movie right now.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s all of those things. Crispy salty chewy goodness on toast. And tastes like poor to lower middle class America.

Straight forward, no BS answer. Like i said I’m not against it just never had a real desire, but it might be a fun experience. If it makes anyone feel better, I never got to experiejce a smoked brisket/ribs or anything like that from home but we had “salmon Wednesday”...so i feel like I had a lot, but boy did i miss out on a lot of regular “dads grilling/cookin shit” type stuff. Might just take the rec of throwing some spam on the next time I do ribs to see what’s up. I still remember bologna as a kid and can’t get past that texture. Maybe if they had pan fried it and served it with eggs I’d have a different opinion 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Etexhorn13

Straight forward, no BS answer. Like i said I’m not against it just never had a real desire, but it might be a fun experience. If it makes anyone feel better, I never got to experiejce a smoked brisket/ribs or anything from home so i feel like I had a lot, but boy did i miss out on a lot of regular “dads grilling/cookin shit” type stuff. Might just take the rec of throwing some spam on the next time I do ribs to see what’s up. I still remember bologna as a kid and can’t get past that texture. Maybe if they had pan fried it and served it with eggs I’d have a different opinion

I actually had a similar experience - mom was a GREAT cook. Dad came from a class conscious Mexican family (upper class origins...fallen far economically), and mom grew up dirt poor (govt assistance food, etc), so she made a real effort to overcome it. So, I ate etouffee, gumbo, carne guisada, bistec...but at least early on, hadn’t even tried things like meatloaf, bologna sandwiches, etc. As I got into later elementary school age, my folks got over that shit and got frugal as hell. And a lot of my other family members were always frugal, some older ones were on govt aid. So I ate like a king or a peasant, depending on the day.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Straight forward, no BS answer. Like i said I’m not against it just never had a real desire, but it might be a fun experience. If it makes anyone feel better, I never got to experiejce a smoked brisket/ribs or anything like that from home but we had “salmon Wednesday”...so i feel like I had a lot, but boy did i miss out on a lot of regular “dads grilling/cookin shit” type stuff. Might just take the rec of throwing some spam on the next time I do ribs to see what’s up. I still remember bologna as a kid and can’t get past that texture. Maybe if they had pan fried it and served it with eggs I’d have a different opinion

Keep your expectations in check, it probably will be what you thought it'd be. I'll throw some on the smoker for a few hours while I'm doing a brisket and then slice and sear to make a sandwich to tide me over until everything else is ready
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Fry up the Spam, sliced thin and crispy.  Then it is great added in to scrambled eggs and cheese, an omelette, or in a breakfast taco.  Serve Spam with rice, eggs and gravy for a Hawaiian loco moco.  Make Spam fried rice. Make Spam musubi.  Hawaiian Saimin soup with Spam is a classic.  I'm feeling that riff from Bubba about shrimp from the Forrest Gump movie right now.

a77e7d805350453712031fb8e4030e32.png

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, NateHitch said:

Keep your expectations in check, it probably will be what you thought it'd be. I'll throw some on the smoker for a few hours while I'm doing a brisket and then slice and sear to make a sandwich to tide me over until everything else is ready

This sounds about right for me. My family’s had a restaurant in east Texas and my dads been the chef since before i was born. I’m not expecting life changing, but hey, I’d I can open some doors and enjoy something I’ve never had before, even if it’s a quick Sammy or something for breakfast to mix in with eggs it will have surpassed any expectations i had for it anyway. This will be a me + wife experiment til I actually know what’s up. Solid point though, as my wife is too impatient and doesn’t drink enough to really wait for things to be ready in the smoker lol