Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

My wife made a salad and egg white omelettes for dinner in attempt to be somewhat “healthy”.

In the fridge is some jalapeño sausage, pepper Jack cheese, salsa, tortillas and butter.

I’m just sayin.

I like egg white omelettes…when filled with jalapeño sausage, Jack cheese, and salsa. Hot tortillas and butter on the side. Salad.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 9:38 AM, Brisketexan said:

Man.  It's literally one of the easiest things in the world.  You just make a redneck bechamel: tablespoon or two of bacon or sausage grease, same amount of flour, whisk together over medium high heat for a minute or two, lower the heat to medium, whisk in cold milk, let it come up to a simmer for a few minutes to thicken.  If you need to, you can add more milk to get the right consistency (so don't add too much milk the first go-round).  Recipes with proportions are out there.  Add some salt and coarse pepper at the end, and you're set.

what kind of milk?  I’m assuming whole?  can you half and half or even heavy cream?

what kind of milk?  I’m assuming whole?  can you half and half or even heavy cream?

Whole milk is what you use. Heavy cream will make pudding and half n half will make it a bit greasy and too thick. Whole milk will deliver a perfect rich sauce that coats the back of a spoon just right.

Cream gravy is so simple to make and then customize. I use Wondra flour for gravy; it makes a difference. I like mine with heavy black pepper with a touch of cayenne. Wife likes it straight on her biscuits; I crumble my Jimmy Dean sausage while cooking and usually add thin sliced onion and japs while cooking. I then add my sausage on top of my gravy. My grandmother would add chopped home grown tomatoes to her cream gravy occassionally, usually with her fried chicken.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Whole milk is what you use. Heavy cream will make pudding and half n half will make it a bit greasy and too thick. Whole milk will deliver a perfect rich sauce that coats the back of a spoon just right.

Cream gravy is so simple to make and then customize. I use Wondra flour for gravy; it makes a difference. I like mine with heavy black pepper with a touch of cayenne. Wife likes it straight on her biscuits; I crumble my Jimmy Dean sausage while cooking and usually add thin sliced onion and japs while cooking. I then add my sausage on top of my gravy. My grandmother would add chopped home grown tomatoes to her cream gravy occassionally, usually with her fried chicken.

sausage gravy pudding sounds good. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Yes on the whole milk, although you CAN use whatever milk you have (even 1% or what have you) so long as you use enough fat in the initial fat-flour roux.  But the whole milk version will taste best.

Also, wanna take it to 11?  Instead of adding crumbled Jimmy Dean, add crumbled chorizo.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

I do ask the question does anyone make naoch the way God laid them out: individual chips, each spread with a layer of beans, then meat, then cheese, then a jap slice or two?

For some reason my father is quite dogmatic on the notion that if it has refrieds on it, it is a pancho and not a nacho.

IMO, God created nachos in the following fashion:

He walked into Cora's outside of Castroville and ordered the extra large tray with jalapenos and onion.

IMG-9106.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Those look great.

I do ask the question does anyone make naoch the way God laid them out: individual chips, each spread with a layer of beans, then meat, then cheese, then a jap slice or two?

That’s a fucking tostada, nachos are meant to be a little messy and for chips to stick together from all the cheese. Individual nacho chips are an abomination to God.

image.gif.147de88eec85402c7fd0c9da9ae3a9cb.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Covri said:

That’s a fucking tostada, nachos are meant to be a little messy and for chips to stick together from all the cheese. Individual nacho chips are an abomination to God.

image.gif.147de88eec85402c7fd0c9da9ae3a9cb.gif

Loop Trump GIF

I want maximum cheese/topping - chip ratio. I hate paying for a pile of chips with cheese and meat dribbled over the top few leaving a layer of bare chips underneath, and if I’m making at home it only takes a little more effort to do it the right way. 

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Covri said:

Look above at the sheet pan of nachos and show me the bare layer of chips.  Fuck outta here with that one chip individually topped bullshit. 

I guess in my mind the image above was not what you were referring to. My gripe comes from when places just put a pile of chips down and then spray and pray with the cheese/toppings… which i said pretty clearly. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. Can't we all get along. There is a place in this world for both trays of nachos (the most God-ordained order) and individually meticulously constructed tostada nachos. I think that we have common ground that piles of chips with inadequate cheese and topping coverage is not acceptable and is an affront to the proper order of the universe. Can we crack a lone star and commune together in this common understanding?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. Can't we all get along. There is a place in this world for both trays of nachos (the most God-ordained order) and individually meticulously constructed tostada nachos. I think that we have common ground that piles of chips with inadequate cheese and topping coverage is not acceptable and is an affront to the proper order of the universe. Can we crack a lone star and commune together in this common understanding?

I will make perfect individual nachos as it’s in the Bible that way. Great especially with grilled steak or brisket. However folks can make their yankeefied heather baseball nachos, and I will not be the one to break the peace.

It’s Barzini, Michael, who will attack with his drippy pile of pan nachos, half of which have no cheese.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I will make perfect individual nachos as it’s in the Bible that way. Great especially with grilled steak or brisket. However folks can make their yankeefied heather baseball nachos, and I will not be the one to break the peace.

It’s Barzini, Michael, who will attack with his drippy pile of pan nachos, half of which have no cheese.

This is what happens when you try to be reasonable with these god damned book-thumping nacho fundamentalists on anything. One time they had an order of loaded brisket nachos at Applebees and they think that they can preach on nacho orthodoxy. St. Ignacio of Piedras Negras has shown us the essential elements of the nacho faith and the Apostolic tradition. Corn chips, cheese, and jalapenos. Chopped onions were an illumination that followed to bring us men to the higher state. 

1815749092_Saint_St_Ignatius_of_Antioch_Greek_Hand-Painted_Orthodox_Icon_0_preview_rev_1(1)-overlay.png.d393fdd3b6e1052e09498f9d0f3ff9e5.png

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I’m a fan of the “mini tostadas”, made with HEB jalapeño refried beans on the sturdy round chips, then covered with cheese and more jalapeños.   If I happen to have leftover meat that’s a bonus.  

If I order nachos at a restaurant then I hope it’s each chip layered out and loaded down, when doing them at home the. We just pile the chips and put the toppings on them.  We also use queso instead of shredded cheese, a little more messy and I’ll grab a fork to get all the soggy goodness at the bottom.  Always loved how La Margarita in RR did their nachos... 

6AEC8327-15BD-4121-856F-A9C8512A033B.thumb.png.f09281067f7d0c4b1bf81a2ebd1ae4a6.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Nachos at home can be delicately laid out, with full chips only, and individually topped. When I shank nachos, i take what the bag giveth by pouring out and dole the toppings in the same manner. I'm not a heathen though, i place tinfoil over the pan to catch everything and then use that as a plate. If you have a spare spork, then you are a highlife man. 

On 6/7/2022 at 11:34 AM, Brisketexan said:

If it's gonna be on a sandwich, it's gotta be good pimento cheese, preferably made with a sharp cheddar.

As for the classic "I'ma have me some pimento cheese on saltines" accompaniment.....it's hard to beat this stuff, available at Costco:

3851112.jpg?versionId=knfGoiJPL3GKDAqfg8

Wanna take it to 11?   Top each cheese-topped cracker with an additional jalapeno slice (fresh or pickled, two different approaches).

I like mine with some hard salami and pickled okra on the side.   I like when the okra seeds clink against the toilet like bb’s later that night.  

59 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Man.....pour one out for El Moderno.....

278050026_e8f4180c92_c.jpg

Grew up going there (family from Piedras)......still can't believe it's gone.

My family use to hit up EP/PN and laredo on the regular when I was growing up.  Very fond memories. Damn shame my kids won't get that same experience, including growing in to sitting in the mercado/cadillac bar slamming beers with their cousins while their parents and grandparents did their shopping and drinking.  

Edited by Anastasis

Nachos are fragmented corn tortillas with ingredients placed on top. Whether they are scattered on top or individually apportioned. A tostada is a full corn tortilla.

Tostadas perplex me as they are a clearly inferior vehicle for delivering tex mex ingredients. 

If you make nachos and wind up with bare tortilla chips then it was a failure in execution not an incorrect methodology. 

Thank your for attending my TED talk.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

That shit is horrible. It’s like the pimento cheese they serve at a hospital on Thanksgiving. It’s soupy.

That it was, usually will give something a second try but not that shit.  I threw it in the trash immediately. 

I like redfish, but can’t say I’ve had the cheek meat. Whenever work takes me to Houston and dinners are at places that serve it I get it and the locals chuckle since they apparently all have freezers full of it. Don’t care ate good lol.