Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

6 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

You don’t like the taste of cottonseed oil or is there some anti-health reason?  Honest question, and I’m gonna look for that brand you show.

It's not what is considered a "healthy" oil. But I pretty much stick to olive, coconut, and avocado oils when cooking for myself, and try to avoid cotton, canola, vegetable, palm, and soyboean oils. 

It's not what is considered a "healthy" oil. But I pretty much stick to olive, coconut, and avocado oils when cooking for myself, and try to avoid cotton, canola, vegetable, palm, and soyboean oils. 

Is peanut oil ok? I like it for frying.

I’m assuming bacon grease is healthy as long as it’s from healthy hogs.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks for the info, I’ve now been researching, too.  I’m an olive oil/avocado oil/butter cook, and had never looked at cottonseed oil.  Oh, and sesame oil and lard in the appropriate dishes.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

My last two japs were moldy…fuck

Feel your pain.  Hate it when I'm whipping up something tasty, something fresh japs would enhance ( which is damn near everything) only to find I'm a few days too late for said jap.  

13 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Bacon cheeseburger time….0e9566861d442b6aade2b9d8826ecbec.jpg

Bacon : hamburger ratio checks out, and additional props for thick-sliced bacon.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

how are y'all storing your jalapenos?  i keep mine in the fruit basket on the counter and they tend to dry out and then get turned into crushed pepper.

Veg drawer in the fridge; too much humidity? Is the counter a better option?

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

how are y'all storing your jalapenos?  i keep mine in the fruit basket on the counter and they tend to dry out and then get turned into crushed pepper.

Be careful doing this. At room temperatures, thick-walled peppers like jalapenos will often get moldy on the inside (fuzzy black stuff) before drying completely.

Meanwhile, thin-walled varieties (e.g., cayenne, garden salsa, Thai super chilies, etc.) should be able to dry in a few days if left on a windowsill.

Because of these differences, I usually pickle my jalapenos and hot Hungarian yellow wax peppers and dry the thin-walled ones.

• Rage+1 1

Veg drawer in the fridge; too much humidity? Is the counter a better option?

I keep mine in the fridge veg drawer and go between loose or open in the grocery produce sack. I think it’s often issues with the combo of fruits and veg in the drawer.

I also have issues in this house with my onions and taters going bad faster than usual. They are in the darkest bottom of the cabinet, kept separate, plenty of air circulation. Also it seems that all garlic is bad. With green sprouts inside, rotted cloves, wtf