Hey Steel Shank!

Just now, Covri said:

Where do you keep you car hot sauce? I'm usually a center console guy but lately been in the cup holder in the door for quicker access. 

I'm not sure. I haven't had one before but had to pull the trigger today. Probably center console. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:29 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Tonight’s random shit was so good that it’s going into the rotation. 

Shredded the leftover chicken I smoked yesterday, a jar of H‑E‑B hatch green chili stew, can of HCF chicken broth, some cream, garlic salt, and chucks of canned H‑E‑B biscuits. It was green chili chicken and dumplings served in a plastic dollar store bowl. I will never forget. 

B8C8AC1C-DE6E-4559-A987-0B8CE99BA637.jpeg

When you say "chunks of canned HEB biscuits", do you mean uncooked?  Like dough balls?

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

Yeah just chuck some dough balls in that boiling mess and they cook like dumplings. Bonus points if it’s the butter flavored biscuits. 

Oh, I didn't realize you got fancy and made a pot of the stuff.  I thought you combined ingredients in the bowl and nuked it for 20 seconds in the microwave to warm it up.

39 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Yeah just chuck some dough balls in that boiling mess and they cook like dumplings. Bonus points if it’s the butter flavored biscuits. 

Yep.  Buy cheap canned biscuits, cut each biscuit into 6 pieces, drop into the simmering pot, WALLA, easy chicken and dumplings.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

A bacon and fried egg sammich is one of life's best, simple things.  It can be embellished by some chiles, or some valentina, or mayo, or a slice or two of tomato, or any number of other things.  But the core is bread, bacon, overeasy egg.  Well done.

my method is typically two oven toasted pieces of french boule (which steel shank has previously objected to but he's wrong) with butter on one piece and pepper jack cheese on the other piece as they toast.  cook three pieces of bacon, fry egg in the rendered bacon fat.  start with the toasted piece of bread with butter - lay down a light layer of mayo first, then butter lettuce, then sliced up cherry tomatoes, then a nice sprinkling of fleur de sel and some black pepper, then bacon (inverse the fatty sides so there is good distribution), then slide the egg right on top of that, then the toasted piece with the cheese face down on top.  slice in half, eat, achieve self-actualization and nirvana.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

54 minutes ago, sidis said:

my method is typically two oven toasted pieces of french boule (which steel shank has previously objected to but he's wrong) with butter on one piece and pepper jack cheese on the other piece as they toast.  cook three pieces of bacon, fry egg in the rendered bacon fat.  start with the toasted piece of bread with butter - lay down a light layer of mayo first, then butter lettuce, then sliced up cherry tomatoes, then a nice sprinkling of fleur de sel and some black pepper, then bacon (inverse the fatty sides so there is good distribution), then slide the egg right on top of that, then the toasted piece with the cheese face down on top.  slice in half, eat, achieve self-actualization and nirvana.

I don't think he's wrong.  This is the Steel Shank thread.

However, you could take your fancy schmancy creation over to the look at this effing sandwich thread, and it would be warmly received.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sidis said:

Take your fancy bread, your fancy lettuce, and your french salt to the "check out this fucking sandwich thread." 

(Would still eat sandwich)

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

A bacon and fried egg sammich is one of life's best, simple things.  It can be embellished by some chiles, or some valentina, or mayo, or a slice or two of tomato, or any number of other things.  But the core is bread, bacon, overeasy egg.  Well done.

Growing up, I was a picky little shit (guess we all were). Hated raw yolk. But my dad had a habit of eating eggs over easy on toast, with bacon and hot sauce (usually Tabasco to "draw the poison out"). More of an open-faced sammich, I suppose, but still very much the same principle.

Anyway, I worked up the nerve to try his eggs-over-easy-on-toast one day and it's been a happy marriage ever since. The bread just soaks up the yolk like gravy. Sublime.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

On 8/17/2022 at 10:23 AM, huge said:

100501652ecd31cf3cc5cb1407463061.jpg
Greetings from Texline

I know exactly where that Allsup’s is.  Been through there a hundred times.  I will say, and this may be blasphemous, that I’m enjoying the Stripes breakfast tacos more now than Allsup’s burritos, and I’ve been eating them all my life.