Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

On 8/25/2018 at 10:20 AM, Brisketexan said:

Had to run out to the hunting lease to set up some shredding. Stopped at JD’s, picked up a snack of chicharron con carne.

f701d7e71747c7a96ca309df4a82811c.jpg

How do you eat this (technique?) Break it up into chunks? Whole thing like a caveman with a dinosaur leg? Do you put hot sauce on it? Mayo? French dressing? All of the above?

10 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

How do you eat this (technique?) Break it up into chunks? Whole thing like a caveman with a dinosaur leg? Do you put hot sauce on it? Mayo? French dressing? All of the above?

You just pick it up and take a bite.  Fried porkish deliciousness.

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

help a west coast brother out...the fuck is "shredding".  Out here, we do that shit on a surfboard. 

Shredding is rough cutting a field.  It's like mowing, only with one of those big-ass tow-behind cutters and a tractor.  It isn't as short or clean as mowing, but it knocks down 15 foot wide swaths of grass and small brush in a blink.  We use it to create shooting lanes for dove hunting.

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You just pick it up and take a bite.  Fried porkish deliciousness.

Shredding is rough cutting a field.  It's like mowing, only with one of those big-ass tow-behind cutters and a tractor.  It isn't as short or clean as mowing, but it knocks down 15 foot wide swaths of grass and small brush in a blink.  We use it to create shooting lanes for dove hunting.

I'm now obsessed with watching youtube videos of people shredding fields.  It's oddly soothing.

6 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I'm now obsessed with watching youtube videos of people shredding fields.  It's oddly soothing.

Tractor time can be totally zen.  I didn't do the cutting here -- hired a guy with a 15 foot batwing shredder.  But I've done some tractor time, and it's good stuff.  Zen, peaceful, and a huge sense of accomplishment.  It's even better with modern tractors with a cab with A/C.

Throwing square bales is also very cathartic and relaxing. Ask your local farmer if you can volunteer for a few hours doing in the next shred. You’ll love it!

2 minutes ago, deft said:

Throwing square bales is also very cathartic and relaxing. Ask your local farmer if you can volunteer for a few hours doing in the next shred. You’ll love it!

Stacking 'em in the hay barn is a more brutal version of tetris/jenga.  Good for the mind and body.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Tractor time can be totally zen.  I didn't do the cutting here -- hired a guy with a 15 foot batwing shredder.  But I've done some tractor time, and it's good stuff.  Zen, peaceful, and a huge sense of accomplishment.  It's even better with modern tractors with a cab with A/C.

I dunno.  Shredding where  it's dry and dusty and you have a lot of oak trees isn't very zen.  Last time I did it for a couple of hours I had a crick in my neck from looking back and forth at the shredder, and black snot for a day or two afterward from the dust.  Better than desk work for a change though.

16 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I dunno.  Shredding where  it's dry and dusty and you have a lot of oak trees isn't very zen.  Last time I did it for a couple of hours I had a crick in my neck from looking back and forth at the shredder, and black snot for a day or two afterward from the dust.  Better than desk work for a change though.

My best friend's family owned most of the farm land that was developed into what is now Hutto.  They crew cotton on it for years and we'd help his dad/grandad with shredding on the weekends/summer.   Can confirm that shredding when it's dry and dusty is the fucking worst.

4 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

My best friend's family owned most of the farm land that was developed into what is now Hutto.  They crew cotton on it for years and we'd help his dad/grandad with shredding on the weekends/summer.   Can confirm that shredding when it's dry and dusty is the fucking worst.

I'm familiar with the term shredding but I have no idea what crewing cotton is.

3 hours ago, ChampKind said:

You fuckers ever heard of bandanas? They work great for filtering dust

Cabs & a/c work better, keep rocks from knocking you the fuck out and keep dirt out of your beer.

I do wonder where the term "shredding" came from. Around here it's just called mowing or Brush Hogging (slang brand name of mower). Never heard anyone call it "shredding" until a few years ago. I assumed it was a yankee saying. (no offense)

9 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I don't know man. Spicy mustard is awfully similar to Dijon mustard and I was told that only fancy motherfuckers like Barack Hussein Obama who hate America and probably weren't even born here eat that shit. We might need a ruling.

I swear, Gus.  You'd argue with a possum.