Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Brilliance. The kind that got Americans to the moon and back. Cheese spread atop cheese slice. That’s big brain Texas right there.

I would have to pass on the triscuit for a ritz myself. That’s a cracker I’ve never been able to abide.

Club/Ritz. Can’t do the shredded wheat of crackers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Man, melba toast was all the rage in the 70s for some reason.  You'd get it in a cracker or bread basket at a "nicer" restaurant.  People served it with hors d'oeuvres at cocktail parties.

And it tasted like fucking roof shingles.  WTF was that shit?  Melba toast is the jello salad of crackers -- pointless white people shit.

• Haha 2

Man, melba toast was all the rage in the 70s for some reason.  You'd get it in a cracker or bread basket at a "nicer" restaurant.  People served it with hors d'oeuvres at cocktail parties.
And it tasted like fucking roof shingles.  WTF was that shit?  Melba toast is the jello salad of crackers -- pointless white people shit.

I have to disagree with you on Melba toast. A simpler time when any meal in a better diner or fancy restaurant would start with a cracker basket. A bowl of butter pats nearby. And before the salads came a spinner thing with large tubs of 1000 Island, Red “French” dressing, and if really a good place killer homemade blue cheese.

Melba toast dipped in the blue cheese dressing, a memory that brings my mother loving on me and dad sending me to the cigarette machine for a pack of Camels. I also liked the round thin sesame crackers with butter, the rye toast, and the saltines. There were sometimes those short breadsticks too. Restaurants should get back to stuff like this.
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I have to disagree with you on Melba toast. A simpler time when any meal in a better diner or fancy restaurant would start with a cracker basket. A bowl of butter pats nearby. And before the salads came a spinner thing with large tubs of 1000 Island, Red “French” dressing, and if really a good place killer homemade blue cheese.

Melba toast dipped in the blue cheese dressing, a memory that brings my mother loving on me and dad sending me to the cigarette machine for a pack of Camels. I also liked the round thin sesame crackers with butter, the rye toast, and the saltines. There were sometimes those short breadsticks too. Restaurants should get back to stuff like this.

The "dressing tree" always meant that you were in for a special, special meal.

s-l500.jpg

But the proper thing to dip into the dressing was a club cracker.  Melba toast is what you put under one of the table legs if it was wobbly.  Which it probably was, because the 70s were apparently a low point in table technology.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, smuggs said:

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

I'm in a professional organization that has dinner meetings once a month at a certain establishment that puts out Chex mix throughout during cocktail hour.  If I get there early, I go from bowl to bowl eating all the melba toasts.  I'm proud of it.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 3

I don't understand the anti-melba toast sentiment. It's simply a crunchy scaffold on which to put something tastier. Respect its contribution to the whole without unnecessarily denigrating its individual characteristics. What else are you going to do, peel that little wax cover off the butter pad and eat it straight?

Nathalie Atkinson on Twitter: "@EditButler I love a wax paper pat of  butter, feels as childhood fancy as Smitty's" / Twitter

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't understand the anti-melba toast sentiment. It's simply a crunchy scaffold on which to put something tastier. Respect its contribution to the whole without unnecessarily denigrating its individual characteristics. What else are you going to do, peel that little wax cover off the butter pad and eat it straight?

Nathalie Atkinson on Twitter: "@EditButler I love a wax paper pat of  butter, feels as childhood fancy as Smitty's" / Twitter

ummmmmm....yes?

I've never been a huge Sardine guy, mostly because they usually come made with ingredients I don't like (cottonseed oil) and I just don't like chewing through fish bones. Much prefer smoked oysters. That being said, my costco stores started carrying these and it's been a but of a game changer:

https://www.costco.com/season-skinless-%26-boneless-sardines-in-olive-oil%2C-6-count.product.100368230.html
View Larger Image 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've never been a huge Sardine guy, mostly because they usually come made with ingredients I don't like (cottonseed oil) and I just don't like chewing through fish bones. Much prefer smoked oysters. That being said, my costco stores started carrying these and it's been a but of a game changer:

https://www.costco.com/season-skinless-%26-boneless-sardines-in-olive-oil%2C-6-count.product.100368230.html
View Larger Image 1

they're on sale this month, everyone at slickdeals is pretty happy

Edited by elfenix