Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

3 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

That French boule shit is making me angry.

Counterpoint: it’s got me thinking of snatch and laying some pipe. 

(it’s just plain French white bread….it is just made in the more traditional shape of a squashed ball (boule) which provides the ideal shape when sliced for a bacon length sandwich)

I've noticed something about you.  You insist upon yourself.  Why is that?

Eat your effite three bacon strip surrender monkey sandwich. Maybe mom will cut off the crust for you as well before clobbering you with a stale batard.

My old man grew up on bacon grease sandwiches in depression era Texas. He taught me if you got it, eat it, and put a shit ton of bacon on your sandwich.

7 hours ago, sidis said:

Counterpoint: it’s got me thinking of snatch and laying some pipe. 

(it’s just plain French white bread….it is just made in the more traditional shape of a squashed ball (boule) which provides the ideal shape when sliced for a bacon length sandwich)

Throw some leftover taco meat, mac n cheese and LA hot sauce on one, then come see me. Be sure to fashion up some kind of cheese hinge and we might have us something.

Agreed! Bbq joints seem notorious for their lack of focus anywhere outside the pit.

Food waste is a killer in bbq. I don’t know why more don’t figure it out with like brisket chili. A place in Mansfield sells leftovers frozen in bags. I would buy it to put the pulled pork in beans and make quick tacos with the brisket. And David’s here in Arlington does great smoked ham and I’ll buy his trimmings and ends sometimes at closing for bean, greens, etc.

I also never understood why bbq joints never embraced delivery. Most cater, it packs and travels well, and most do a ton of their biz as take out. I think a lot of folks would rather have a bbq feast delivered than another pizza or bucket of chicken.

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Agreed! Bbq joints seem notorious for their lack of focus anywhere outside the pit.

Food waste is a killer in bbq. I don’t know why more don’t figure it out with like brisket chili. A place in Mansfield sells leftovers frozen in bags. I would buy it to put the pulled pork in beans and make quick tacos with the brisket. And David’s here in Arlington does great smoked ham and I’ll buy his trimmings and ends sometimes at closing for bean, greens, etc.

I also never understood why bbq joints never embraced delivery. Most cater, it packs and travels well, and most do a ton of their biz as take out. I think a lot of folks would rather have a bbq feast delivered than another pizza or bucket of chicken.

it's one of the reasons i think Leroy & Lewis is so smart about what they do around food waste - they re-use basically everything they can, more than lots of other traditional spots have over the last decade+.

super severe brisket trims, so they can use the trimmings elsewhere (worth more as trimmings than burnt up) - pork hash, barbacado (beef cheek remnants), etc

i know others do it too, just have the behind the scenes stuff from their patreon and hearing Bradley Robinson talk about it so much.

delivery to locations is hard, but glad to see more places - due to covid - embrace pre-ordering and having it ready to go.

5 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

Why are BBQ joints not recreating these with leftovers?  Seems like it would be a brilliant and easy way to use up leftover meats. 

It’s like you’ve never eaten 1 of those. 
That grease in the deep fryer doesn’t come out the container “aged”. 

I’ve had this crazy idea in my head and I can’t get it out. Thinking about lining up a bunch of pizza hot pockets in a dish, then covering with mozzarella and marinara and making a casserole out of it in the oven. Is that a thing?

I think you’re on to something. Make it and show us how it turns out. I would cook the hot pockets first.

If you fried pizza rolls and did same that would be mighty fine too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

I’ve had this crazy idea in my head and I can’t get it out. Thinking about lining up a bunch of pizza hot pockets in a dish, then covering with mozzarella and marinara and making a casserole out of it in the oven. Is that a thing?

Half Baked Yes GIF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

When people ask “what is it about the American mind that led Americans to land on the moon?”…..ideas like this are how I explain it to them. Outside the box genius. We’ll be on Mars in no time.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Ever heard of Catholics seeing Jesus in a loaf of bread or a tortilla? Well, this happened to me today while making a ghetto quesadilla and I'm not sure what to think other than, "Have a nice day!"
20220819-180355-Sharped.jpg

That ain’t a nice day face. That’s a fucking demon! A tortilla demon! Get a priest!
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Enchubben said:

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

When people ask “what is it about the American mind that led Americans to land on the moon?”…..ideas like this are how I explain it to them. Outside the box genius. We’ll be on Mars in no time.

Agreed!

Additionally, it's also the way Americans have become so fat.

But, if you want to get to Mars, you gotta break a few eggs along the way.

On 8/19/2022 at 6:04 PM, Enchubben said:

I am enchubbened by the thought of such a culinary masterpiece.

On 8/19/2022 at 6:04 PM, Enchubben said:

The questions is, which hot pocket flavor?

On 8/19/2022 at 11:50 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Ever heard of Catholics seeing Jesus in a loaf of bread or a tortilla? Well, this happened to me today while making a ghetto quesadilla and I'm not sure what to think other than, "Have a nice day!"

20220819-180355-Sharped.jpg

It happens. 

-Forrest Gump

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, tigol said:

.image.thumb.jpeg.7c65c13b7c299b53df6519c574161f34.jpeg

Pulled pork burritos enchilada style.  We only had flour tortillas on hand

If you call it a burrito, I think that you get the all clear on the use of flour tortilla, which would be otherwise rightly ridiculed in an enchilada context. 

Edited by Anastasis

Just now, Anastasis said:

If you call it a burrito, I think that you get the all clear on the use of flour tortilla, which would be otherwise rightly ridiculed in an enchilada context. 

I've read the enchilada thread.  I knew what I was up against, but this thread is about working with what you have.  It's a fine line.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 8/23/2022 at 7:29 PM, Anastasis said:

On 8/23/2022 at 7:31 PM, tigol said:

I've read the enchilada thread.  I knew what I was up against, but this thread is about working with what you have.  It's a fine line.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:57 PM, Texzilla58 said:

It looks mighty good. I would have just called it “smothered burritos”.

It's like miniature okie burritos from Las Palapas.

9b446bc0-38a0-4ed0-835b-73854caa9e72-retina-large-jpeg.thumb.jpeg.fcf130d9d3453065a7edd45405e389dc.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2