Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

2 hours ago, Paco said:

Fried a chicken thigh and had some leftover mashed taters and covered it all in leftover gumbo.99078863816f3e4bfca1c4153989a420.jpg

Some in Louisiana put potato salad in their gumbo in lieu of rice.  I think mashed potatoes would work better.  And of all the proteins I have had in gumbo over the years, I cannot recall any of them being in a fried form.  You, sir, are a gotdamn genius.  Now I want fried chicken gumbo over some mashed taters. 

• Like 1

Some in Louisiana put potato salad in their gumbo in lieu of rice.  I think mashed potatoes would work better.  And of all the proteins I have had in gumbo over the years, I cannot recall any of them being in a fried form.  You, sir, are a gotdamn genius.  Now I want fried chicken gumbo over some mashed taters. 

A few years back, @Pescado_Rojo and I were eating at Lake Jackson Seafood. One of the regular “specials” is a large bowl of gumbo and two fried fish filets. We look over at the table next to us, and an old man is crumbling his fried catfish filet into his gumbo. Pescado mutters “goddamn….wise old man.”
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Brisketexan said:

A few years back, @Pescado_Rojo and I were eating at Lake Jackson Seafood. One of the regular “specials” is a large bowl of gumbo and two fried fish filets. We look over at the table next to us, and an old man is crumbling his fried catfish filet into his gumbo. Pescado mutters “goddamn….wise old man.”

Wise man, indeed.  Much wiser than myself.  Also, I am a native of Lake Jackson, yet have never been to Lake Jackson Seafood.  I don't think it was around when I was growing up there and I don't get back too often.  Yeah, just looked it up and it was a Pizza Hut when I was living there.

Unrelated topic, but the El Chico days are numbered.  That was around when I was lived in Lake Jackson and I did not think it would ever close up.

Wise man, indeed.  Much wiser than myself.  Also, I am a native of Lake Jackson, yet have never been to Lake Jackson Seafood.  I don't think it was around when I was growing up there and I don't get back too often.  Yeah, just looked it up and it was a Pizza Hut when I was living there.
Unrelated topic, but the El Chico days are numbered.  That was around when I was lived in Lake Jackson and I did not think it would ever close up.

It was 100% an old Pizza Hut. It’s pretty damn good, and the gumbo is top notch.

On 11/7/2022 at 6:17 PM, Dutch said:

When your kid wants the last hamburger bun for a grilled ham & chee sammich, but then you remember there’s a few Kings Hawaiian rolls you can use as a delivery vehicle for that leftover burger.

71d3fa697ce3b59a2b8e118f4c7ce742.jpg

cc9a0d4474f84c801f2d10d47dfb0195.jpg

The now defunct PO’s Burgers was off Telge Rd in Cypress and had a burger called the Mother Trucker.   It was a double-double with a half-link of sausage on top and you, fine sir, have a fine replica of one of those gut busters.  Have all my rep.

Edited by davidg

20 minutes ago, davidg said:

The now defunct PO’s Burgers was off Telge Rd in Cypress and had a burger called the Mother Trucker.   It was a double-double with a half-link of sausage on top and you, fine sir, have a fine replica of one of those gut busters.  Have all my rep.

Well this makes me sad. Had many a baseball/basketball/soccer team party at PO's. Granted this was 35 years ago, but I guess I assumed it would be around forever. My sister lives close to it now, and I thought as of 5 years ago it was still around. Did it close recently?

It has closed in the last 5 years.  I work in the area.  Just before I joined the company I met my boss there for lunch on the sly as I was with a competitor at the time.  We had eaten there a few more times as a group, then found out it was closed.  I just celebrated 5 years at the company.  Never had the Mother Trucker. 

14 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I am not familiar with the concept of "leftover" gumbo, but carry on.

13 hours ago, deft said:

That’s sad for you because it gets better in the pot overnight. It is known.

You obviously don't make a large enough batch. I'm convinced that it's easier to get the mixture right when I do a large batch. It's usually just the two of us so my golf buddies and I get to eat well at the turn the next day.

Sorry his jitterbug phone doesn’t have a camera

He has an old iPhone 6….and he’s also kept my late mother’s old iPhone up and running…..which is creepy, because sometimes he’ll be using it to handle emails that still come to her account, he’ll pop over to FB, and like or comment on a post…under my dead mom’s account.
It gives us a chuckle.