Vancouver for a day or two

NorthLoop

Heading to Seattle for a wedding in late July. Wedding is on a Friday so we're planning on driving up to Vancouver on Saturday morning, staying Sat night, spending all day Sunday there and driving back to Seattle Sunday night. We really have no plans whatsoever on what to do. We'll be doing this with my sister and her family so there will be a total of 3 kids aged 4, 7, and 8 so the titter is out. 

Any recs are appreciated. I'm sure there's a plethora of things to do that we can find on our own but if you have anything to throw out there please do. 

Edited by NorthLoop

I would mainly recommend outdoor activities. There are few places in this world more beautiful than Vancouver. 

Doubt you'll have the time but driving the Sea to Sky Highway is incredible. Whale watching would be a fun thing with the kids. Downtown is very walkable with various cultural districts but the homeless population is very similar to San Fran so you'll be walking over people. 

On the drive back, you might want to stop by the Vancouver Farmers Market on Granville Island to grab some snacks. It's a huge farmer's market with tons of options. https://granvilleisland.com

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

• 4 weeks later...

We ended up doing Grouse mountain on day 1, then Granville island and Stanley Park on day 2. What an interesting city. So different geographically than any other city I've ever seen. The one knock is the road infrastructure. It's like if you took Austin and eliminated Mopac and 35, and told people to either take 130 or navigate Lamar/Guadalupe/Congress/etc to get from one end of the city to the other. 

41 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

The one knock is the road infrastructure. It's like if you took Austin and eliminated Mopac and 35, and told people to either take 130 or navigate Lamar/Guadalupe/Congress/etc to get from one end of the city to the other. 

So true. Driving from downtown Vancouver to the ferry landing is like a slow cruise down a 25 mile long Lamar Blvd.

• 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am in Vancouver right now. Couple of things:

1) There is a freakishly high amount of snow on the ground

2) NO Uber/Lyft. Cab Only. Just a joke.

So prepare appropriately for getting around. Supposedly Uber like a year away.

Cars were pretty cheap. We got one out of the airport for under $100USD total for 5 days.

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am in Vancouver right now. Couple of things:

1) There is a freakishly high amount of snow on the ground

2) NO Uber/Lyft. Cab Only. Just a joke.

So prepare appropriately for getting around. Supposedly Uber like a year away.

I'll be there next weekend.

No Uber?  What year is it?  Do they at least take credit cards or will I have to buy their play money?

Edited by gecko

42 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Every place (bar/restaurant) I went to they brought the mobile reader out to you, loaded your card and handed it to you to run the transaction right on the spot. I thought it was great.

This is the standard in Canada. They have been way ahead of the US in terms of this, they even had chip cards way before us. They don't require signatures either, just enter a PIN.

Vancouver has a decent rail system, that is always an option if you don't want to rely on cabs. 

Capilano suspension bridge can also be really beautiful. They have an arborwalk that makes you feel like you are in an ewok village.

They have a great eggs benedict place called Yolks a bit south of downtown if I remember correctly as well.

The local beer scene is good as well! I really like Vancouver. I don't think I could ever afford to live there though.

http://www.fritzeuropeanfryhouse.com/

got late night poutine here a few years back after a night of drinking.  One of the finest foods i’ve ever eaten.  The fries tasted like the street ones in Belgium and the curds/gravy were glorious.  My wife and I split a large.  Bad idea.  Got right back in line and got another one to not share. Down the hatch.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Druggist said:

http://www.fritzeuropeanfryhouse.com/

got late night poutine here a few years back after a night of drinking.  One of the finest foods i’ve ever eaten.  The fries tasted like the street ones in Belgium and the curds/gravy were glorious.  My wife and I split a large.  Bad idea.  Got right back in line and got another one to not share. Down the hatch.

Added to my list

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Bumping this as I will be in Vancouver for the first time next month for a full day and night after a cruise.  I will be with a dozen of my wife's family so anybody got any can't miss places to eat for lunch/dinner while there?  Not sure what we will do all day but if the weather is good guessing Stanley Park and Granby Island will make the list. 

Hard to please everyone in a large group but if a subset wants to break away in Stanley Park for a quick round, the par-3 course there is as pretty as they come. Longest hole is under 100yds so a 9 and putter is all you have to carry, rentals onsite. Cheap and great fun!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

I love Vancouver. We usually stay at the Westin close to Stanley Park and venture from there.

We took the subway from the airport to the station closest to Coal Harbor and walked along the ocean to our hotel. It was high 30s and I was loving it.

For me the highlight was walking 30 minutes from the hotel and being in deep forest.

Seafood is really good. I’m not much of a shellfish guy, but the fresh fish is wonderful. Granville island is a nice place to spend a few hours and have lunch. One time we took a sea plane to Victoria Island for the botanical garden.

Best part of these Vancouver trips is that my brother in law usually foots the bill, which is nice.