Penelope Witherspoon's Travel Thread

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok.  Paid for the first 30% of my trip to Egypt in November.  So excited.  

It is 11 Days/10 Nights.  I will probably arrive in Cairo a day early.  

Day 1 - Cairo

Day 2 - Pyramids and Egyptian Museum

Day 3 - Fly to Luxor - Day in Luxor

Day 4 - Valley of the Kings - Begin a Nile River Cruise (on a new boat)

Day 5, 6, 7 - Nile Cruise

Day 8 - Aswan City

Day 9 - Aswan City/Fly back to Cairo

Day 10 - Cairo

Day 11 - Departure

There is a Red Sea Add on, but I am going to head on home unless I go somewhere else on the way home.  

That should be an amazing trip. I did Cairo for 4 or 5 days then Sharm at the 4S years ago and loved it. You will see more than I did, historically, which makes me want to go back.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

That should be an amazing trip. I did Cairo for 4 or 5 days then Sharm at the 4S years ago and loved it. You will see more than I did, historically, which makes me want to go back.

Thanks.  I have been wanting to do Egypt for ages.  It is possible I stay in Cairo a bit.  I could work from there for a few days if I wanted to.  

It is nice to not to have to really plan that trip.  Allows me to focus on my May Paris trip and figure out if there is anywhere else I am trying to go in 2022. I think I am heading back to Capri in 2023 for a week or 10 days, most likely at the beginning of September.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok.  Paid for the first 30% of my trip to Egypt in November.  So excited.  

It is 11 Days/10 Nights.  I will probably arrive in Cairo a day early.  

Day 1 - Cairo

Day 2 - Pyramids and Egyptian Museum

Day 3 - Fly to Luxor - Day in Luxor

Day 4 - Valley of the Kings - Begin a Nile River Cruise (on a new boat)

Day 5, 6, 7 - Nile Cruise

Day 8 - Aswan City

Day 9 - Aswan City/Fly back to Cairo

Day 10 - Cairo

Day 11 - Departure

There is a Red Sea Add on, but I am going to head on home unless I go somewhere else on the way home.  

The trip I just did was similar to that.   Abu Simbel was amazing, if you can add that in, although the drive was about 3 hours each way from Aswan.   We spent a few days in Hurghada at the end, but it was too cold to swim, and IMO not worth it, though maybe warmer enough in November vs. December.

2 hours ago, lemonlime said:

The trip I just did was similar to that.   Abu Simbel was amazing, if you can add that in, although the drive was about 3 hours each way from Aswan.   We spent a few days in Hurghada at the end, but it was too cold to swim, and IMO not worth it, though maybe warmer enough in November vs. December.

We are going to Abu Simbel.  We are doing that drive one of the days.  Honestly, this trip really seems to check all my boxes of shit I want to see in Egypt with the exception of Alexandria.  I might go there for a few days after and stay on the beach.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I am actually starting to plan for my Paris trip in May.  That trip was originally supposed to occur in May 2020 (I still have not rescheduled Easter in Seville, and given my current role, I am not sure when that is going to be doable), and I postponed it to January 2022, and then postponed again to May 13-23, 2022.  

I am staying at Le Roch Hotel & Spa.  It is a great boutique property in the 1st, with about 35 rooms total and is my favorite hotel in Paris.  For those that are Marriott people, or like me, ex-Starwood people who just moved over to Marriott, it is part of their Design hotels (Thanks, Starwood).

https://www.leroch-hotel.com/

I am flying in and out of London and training to and from Paris.  That is a relic from my January 2022 trip, but I would rather train from London than fly into CDG from London.  Plus, will be my first time on the A350 on Virgin in Upper Class (they put these into service on the NYC to London route in 2019).  Leave NYC at 9 on Friday the 13th, arrive London 9AM on Saturday the 14th.  Then have a 12:30 Eurostar to Paris (arrive 3:47 PM in Paris).  It is pretty convenient as there is a pharmacy right at Gare du Nord where I can get my vaccine pass converted and then head to my hotel.

First day there, might do some shopping at my favorite place on Rue St. Honore (Goyard) if there is no delay (they area only open until 7 on Saturday) then head out for dinner.  I have no idea where I am going.  It is amazing how many Paris restaurants are Monday through Friday joints.  I am leaning towards heading to Montee, which is one of my favorites, and might be my only repeat visit of the trip.  Might be nice to go somewhere familiar after 2 plus years away.  Then I can head over to La Closerie des Lilas for after dinner cocktails.

Sunday is the last day of the YSL aux Musees exhibit, so I am going to pop into some of the participating museums and take a gander.  The participating museums are the YSL Museum (will go there later as they will have the exhibit longer), Louvre, D'Orsay, Pompidou, Picasso, and Modern Art.  I am most interested in Pompidou and Modern Art as those are museums I have never been to.  

Then my friend from London is joining me the following Saturday, so other than those tentative ideas, I am still in the research phase.  Will share as plans become clearer.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well shit... the cruise we booked for August 2023 to the Balkans, which included a stop in St. Petersburg and surrounding countries, just for canceled by the cruise line due to everything going on. Fuck you Putin. Now we have to figure out someplace else. Maybe Greece. We are looking at doing a safari in the next 5 years or so, so maybe we do that in 2023.

• Rage+1 1

48 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Well shit... the cruise we booked for August 2023 to the Balkans, which included a stop in St. Petersburg and surrounding countries, just for canceled by the cruise line due to everything going on. Fuck you Putin. Now we have to figure out someplace else. Maybe Greece. We are looking at doing a safari in the next 5 years or so, so maybe we do that in 2023.

That blows.  I am keeping fingers crossed that COVID doesn't rear its bitchassed head again and further delay this trip.  

The Euro is in a good place, and I am trying to figure out a day in Champagne.  

On 2/8/2022 at 6:25 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am actually starting to plan for my Paris trip in May.  That trip was originally supposed to occur in May 2020 (I still have not rescheduled Easter in Seville, and given my current role, I am not sure when that is going to be doable), and I postponed it to January 2022, and then postponed again to May 13-23, 2022.  

I am staying at Le Roch Hotel & Spa.  It is a great boutique property in the 1st, with about 35 rooms total and is my favorite hotel in Paris.  For those that are Marriott people, or like me, ex-Starwood people who just moved over to Marriott, it is part of their Design hotels (Thanks, Starwood).

https://www.leroch-hotel.com/

I am flying in and out of London and training to and from Paris.  That is a relic from my January 2022 trip, but I would rather train from London than fly into CDG from London.  Plus, will be my first time on the A350 on Virgin in Upper Class (they put these into service on the NYC to London route in 2019).  Leave NYC at 9 on Friday the 13th, arrive London 9AM on Saturday the 14th.  Then have a 12:30 Eurostar to Paris (arrive 3:47 PM in Paris).  It is pretty convenient as there is a pharmacy right at Gare du Nord where I can get my vaccine pass converted and then head to my hotel.

First day there, might do some shopping at my favorite place on Rue St. Honore (Goyard) if there is no delay (they area only open until 7 on Saturday) then head out for dinner.  I have no idea where I am going.  It is amazing how many Paris restaurants are Monday through Friday joints.  I am leaning towards heading to Montee, which is one of my favorites, and might be my only repeat visit of the trip.  Might be nice to go somewhere familiar after 2 plus years away.  Then I can head over to La Closerie des Lilas for after dinner cocktails.

Sunday is the last day of the YSL aux Musees exhibit, so I am going to pop into some of the participating museums and take a gander.  The participating museums are the YSL Museum (will go there later as they will have the exhibit longer), Louvre, D'Orsay, Pompidou, Picasso, and Modern Art.  I am most interested in Pompidou and Modern Art as those are museums I have never been to.  

Then my friend from London is joining me the following Saturday, so other than those tentative ideas, I am still in the research phase.  Will share as plans become clearer.  

Just curious, do you have a full time job or just freelance?

40 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Just curious, do you have a full time job or just freelance?

Full time job.  I am, funnily enough, in commodity trading.  Not a trader, because I could not deal with the stress (though the bonus is very, very nice).  On the finance side. I do well enough.

eddie murphy GIF

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Very cool. Nice that your firm lets you spend so much time away from the desk. 

I have 5 weeks of vacation.  It isn't the best (I had 7 when I worked for a Danish company), but it is honestly hard to take 5 fully, so it is not a big deal.  We are also super flexible with that as well, so it is really nice.  Basically, we are all very much flexible as long as things get done.

So, one day is fully booked up.  On Thursday, May 19th, will be doing a day in Champagne. Taking the first train out to Reims.  Then walking to Veuve Clicquot for a cave tour and tasting.  Then it is on the Assiette Champenoise for lunch.  Then to Ruinart for a cave tour and tasting.  Then will be able to walk around Reims, visit the cathedral, go to some wine shops, and head back to Paris around 7:15 that night.  

Debating hitting up Chartres or Chantilly on this trip, but leaning towards not. I want to spend more time in Paris since it has been so long since I have been.  

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have 5 weeks of vacation.  It isn't the best (I had 7 when I worked for a Danish company), but it is honestly hard to take 5 fully, so it is not a big deal.  We are also super flexible with that as well, so it is really nice.  Basically, we are all very much flexible as long as things get done.

I completely disagree

Paris is really starting to take shape.

May 14 - Arrive, hit up Goyard for my annual shopping trip (I have missed you!); Dinner at Montee, my favorite.

May 15 - Hitting up the bird and flower market (they are doing way with the bird market in 2023 or 2024 - this is in the shadow of Notre Dame).  Lunch TBD; Dinner - Le Chardenoux (on wait list because idiot me thought I had a res when I did not....sigh).

May 16 - TBD; Dinner - Septime.  Debating this one.  Went to lunch at Septime back in 2017.  Was really good.  Since, it has been lauded as one of the best restaurants in Paris.  

May 17- TBD; Dinner - Pantagruel

May 18 - Lunch - Mosuke (so excited about this one...cannot believe I got a confirmed res - well done hotel concierge!); Dinner, TBD - During the day, doing some vintage shopping.  Actually booked at AirBnB experience (have had excellent luck with those) to help guide me through shops in parts of Paris I am less familiar with.

May 19 - CHAMPAGNE!  Lunch at Assiette Champenoise; Dinner, possibly not needed.  Cave tours at Veuve Cliquot and Ruinart; Going to see Reims Cathedral.  

May 20 - Lunch - Le Grand; Dinner - Granite (where Daniel Rose's Spring used to be); No idea on activities just yet

May 21 - My friend arrives.  Lunch, TBD, but guaranteed it will be boozy.  Dinner, Le Servan; Activities - Lots and lots of champagne.  After dinner, might head to Laperouse for some drinks and dancing.

May 22 - Day in the Flea Markets; Dinner - TBD.  We are on the waitlist at Plenitude.

Restaurants still on my wish list - Pouliche, Sadarnac, Papillon, La Condesa, Les Petits Mains

Things I am planning on doing - Palais Galliera (renovated and reopened with some fashion exhibits), a few of the YSL exhibits (specifically Modern Art), The Musee de Moyen Age (has been under renovations since last time I was in Paris...hope it is open when I am there); Montmartre and Sacre Coeur (in all my trips to Paris, I have not made it to Montmartre and Sacre Coeur); Hanging out at cafes, Hanging out in the parks; Doing more walking tours tracing Chanel's steps, etc...

Basically, I will try and have one or two activities a day kind of thought out, but I usually like to wander.  I always plan out meals as I have a stupid long wish list and I am trying to fit in as much as absolutely possible.  :)  I figure this plan with 1 Michelin 3 Star, 1 Michelin 2 Star, and a number of 1 Stars is pretty ambitious.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Alright, Euro down to 1.0795 USD.  Come on USD!  Would love it if the Euro slips to around 1.05, though anything sub 1.10 is good IMO.  

Some plans have really started to come together, finally.

May 14 - Arrive Gare du Nord and head to my hotel in the 1st, Shopping on Rue St Honoré (specifically at 233 so that if they do not have what I want, I can come back later in the week and see what they may have that came in), Dinner at Restaurant Montee in the 14th (my favorite restaurant in Paris), after dinner drinks at La Closerie des Lilas in the 6th (they make good cocktails and are very close to where I am having dinner).  

May 15 - Start the morning at the Bird and Flower market on the Ile de La Cite; Head to the Palais Galliera for the two exhibits there; Lunch at Les Petites Mains (The outdoor restaurant at Palais Galliera with a new female cheffe (They change them yearly - this year is Justine Puliso)); Head across the street to the Paris Museum of Modern Art for two exhibits; Back to the hotel in the 1st to get ready to head out for the evening.  Dinner is at Le Chardenoux in the 11th at 9:30, so have time to wander a bit in the neighborhood before dinner.

May 16 - TBD - Dinner at Pouliche with a female cheffe that comes highly recommended

May 17 - TBD - Dinner at Restaurant Pantagruel

May 18 - Lunch at Mosuke, which I believe is one of the hottest tables in Paris at the moment; an afternoon of vintage shopping in the 3rd with a guide (AirBnB experience as other than Catherine B and Didier Ludot, I am ignorant on the best places to look for a vintage Chanel jacket which is what I am on the hunt for.  I really want one from when Gabrielle (Coco) was in charge, but would take a good, classic Karl as well).  

May 19 - Day in Champagne!  Train out to Reims, head to Veuve Cliquot for cave tour and tasting.  Lunch at Assiette Champenoise (3 Michelin Stars).  Another cave tour and tasting at Ruinart in the afternoon.  Then spend some time wandering Reims cathedral and downtown before heading back to Paris on the 7:15 PM train.    Not sure I will be hungry when I return to Paris, so leaving dinner options open.  Might just pass out after a long, hectic day.

May 20 - Lunch at Le Grand (this is Jean Francois Piege's flagship), Dinner at Granite (Granite is on the old Spring space and has come highly recommended)

May 21 - My friend arrives at 1 from London - We are going to do some lunch, but still trying to figure that one out - Then probably things that involve copious amounts of champagne for the rest of the day (we have not seen each other since November 2019).  Dinner at Le Servan followed by drinks and maybe dancing at Laperouse.

May 22 - Getting up and heading out to the Marche aux Puces out in Saint-Ouen.  Thought that would be a fun day seeing what all we could find.  Dinner, we are on the wait list of Plenitude (The Michelin 3 star at Le Cheval Blanc).  We have yet to pick out our backup place, but starting to think through that as well.

May 23 - Leave Paris!  Am training back to London to fly out of Heathrow that evening, so we are going to do a boozy lunch or boozy afternoon tea once we get back.  I am planning on heading to the airport around 3 for my 6 PM flight.

Restaurants I still have on my list are - Papillon, La Condesa, and Restaurant Sadarnac.  

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, we are 4 days and 9 hours or so until my flight leaves on Friday (6 PM).  Trip has come along nicely.

Departure

Leave JFK at 6 PM on Friday the 13th (ughhh).  Flying Virgin Upper Class on the new(ish) Airbus A350.  These planes were put into service right before the pandemic and I have heard good things.  Flying into Heathrow, landing at 6:30 AM local time.  I will definitely take advantage of the arrivals lounge to shower and feel human again after a short overnight flight. Will take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then cab it to St. Pancras.

Day 1 - May 14

My train leaves St. Pancras at about 12:30 PM, so plan to post up at Searcy's and enjoy champagne pre-train.  Train arrives Gare du Nord just before 4 Paris time, so will get to have a nice 2 hour kip on the train.  

Once I am in Paris, no health passes needed any longer, so I can jump in a cab and head straight to my hotel.  I am staying at my favorite hotel in Paris, Le Roch Hotel & Spa.  it is a fantastic 37 room boutique hotel in the 1st Arrondissement with one of the best concierge teams in town.  It also has the advantage of being about half a block off Rue Saint-Honoré, which is where I will head immediately after checking in and getting my luggage in my room.  233 Rue Saint-Honoré is my destination.  Those that have known me on this site and the former site know that I have a fondness for Goyard bags, and 233 is the mothership.  It helps that there is definitely arbitrage to be had, especially with the Euro where it is now, so a purchase of 2 bags will net me savings of around 2k before VAT return and about 2.5k after VAT return.  By going first thing, should they not have the model/color combo I want, I have a shot at them getting it in prior to be leaving, or them possibly having it at another boutique (Goyard also as a store at 352 and a boutique in Printemps).  I am looking forward to my shopping trip, which will be accompanied by champagne.

i-KZPPs9S-X3.jpg  

After spending a lot of money, I will head back to the hotel to get dressed for the evening.  I am heading out to dinner at Montee, my favorite restaurant and Paris and which I have reviewed in detail (Part 1 and Part 2).  Afterwards, I will head to Hemingway's old haunt, La Closerie des Lilas, whose bar makes some mean cocktails.  If I can make it to the end of my Saturday night plans, then I will be able to sleep like a baby.    

Day 2 - May 15

My first full day in Paris will start out at the Flower and Bird market on the Ile de la Cité which has been operating here since 1809 (bird sales started in 1860).  This is currently in the Queen Elizabeth II pavillion which will be undergoing renovation.  Once this is renovated, the bird market will cease to be.  So it will be interesting to see this market before it goes away for good.  Then it is off to the Palais Galliera, the Paris fashion museum which has undergone a massive renovation (I was last there in 2018) for the two exhibits they have on now.  Afterwards, I will have lunch at their terrace restaurant, Les Petites Mains, helmed by cheffe Justine Piluso.  Then it is across the street to the Paris Museum of Modern art to see their YSL, Toyen, and Anita Molinero exhibitions.  Then it is back towards the hotel where I will stop in at the Eglise St. Roch for Gregorian Vespers.  After Vespers, will hit the hotel, change for dinner, then head to Le Chardenoux for a late dinner.  This is Cyril Lignac's place in the 11th Arrondissement.  After dinner, might walk around the neighborhood, but plan on heading back to the hotel early since I have an early morning on Monday.

Day 3 - May 16

Montmartre is on the agenda for today.  Planning on heading up early in the AM to grab coffee before hitting Sacre Coeur.  My plan is just to wander around.  I am putting together a list of things I have to see while up in the 18th, as well as places to stop for coffee, a nice glass of wine, and lunch.  Dinner this evening is at Pouliche which is located in the 10th and helmed by cheffe Amandine Chaignot.  Le Syndicat is right around the corner, so will head there for some after dinner drinks made exclusively with French spirits.

Day 4 - May 17

No solid plans on this day.  I do know I want to be at the Eglise de Saint Germain de Prés at 3 on this day as they do tours of the church.  It is one of the, if not the oldest, in Paris.  Plus, I sponsored a star on the ceiling for the renovation, so I want to see my star.  Will probably just tool around the left bank on this day.  No lunch plans as of yet, but dinner is scheduled at Pantagruel.  After dinner, will probably hit Danico.

Day 5 - May 18

Lunch is at Mosuke, which is probably one of the toughest tables to get in Paris (thank you, Le Roch concierge team!).  That afternoon, I head to the Marais for some vintage shopping.  I am ok the lookout for a vintage Chanel jacket from when Coco herself was in charge.  Prefer one in black, but cream with navy or black would work as well. Just want something classic.  If we find some Balenciaga or Schiaparelli from the namesakes, alls the better.  Nothing planned other than that.

Day 6 - May 19

Heading out to Reims early in the AM.  Will start with a tour and tasting at Veuve Cliquot.  Then it is off to L'Assiette Champenoise for a decadent lunch.  After lunch, back into Reims for a tasting and cave tour at Ruinart.  Then it is a stroll through town, whiling away the hours at the Reims cathedral and other sites in the town before catching the last train (7:15 PM) to Paris.  I imagine I will be completely shot by the time I get back (and probably still full from lunch), so no plans this evening, but that could always change if I get a second wind.

Day 7 - May 20

This morning starts off with catching the Boldini exhibit at the Petit Palais.  Lunch is at Le Grand, Jean-Francois Piege's flagship restaurant.  Dinner that night is at Granite, which is in the old Spring space.  It was recommended to me by folks living in Paris, so I am excited to check it out.  

Day 8 - May 21

This morning will be all about heading out to the shops and getting things I want to bring home.  I stock up on French staples while I am in Paris, so I will be heading to Galerie Lafayette Maison to do just that.  My friend arrives on the Eurostar around one, so I am going to drop my stuff off at the hotel and meet her at Gare du Nord.  We will jump in a car, take her bags and drop them off at the hotel, then we are headed to the left bank for a boozy lunch at Les Parisiens Restaurant by Thibault Sombardier.  This is another place that came highly recommended from folks that live in Paris, so I am excited to try it out.  We have to be at the Suresnes Marina at 5 for a couple of hours on a boat, but before we head over there, we want to grab some provisions (i.e. Champagne) to enjoy as we cruise the Seine.  The weather is supposed to be amazing, so we thought some hours on a boat would be fun.  Dinner that night is a late one at Le Servan.  Afterwards, we might hit up Laperouse for cocktails/dancing...or head back in the Marais and hit up Bisou and Little Red Door.  

Day 9 - May 22

We are headed to the Paris flea market in Ouen.  Plan is to go out early, but we are easy.  It is open 10-6, so we have plenty of time.  For dinner, we will come back into Paris, and as of right now, have nothing plan.  Sunday dinners are always tough in Paris as a lot of places are not open.  Our best bet might be find a brasserie and park there.  Seriously thinking about Yves Camborde's mini empire in the 6th.  Then if we did not make it to Laperouse, we could go have a nightcap there afterwards.  

Day 10 - May 23

The train back to London is pretty early (9AM) and we need to get there early enough so I can go through VAT return since you do that at the train station before leaving now (Thanks, Brexit).  Once we arrive in London at 10:30 local time, we are going to cab to Brown's Hotel and have them hold our luggage (we have a 12:30 tea res there) and pop over to Old Bond Street and do some shopping.  Then it will be back to Brown's for a nice tea, and then my car picks me up at 2:45 PM to take me to Heathrow.  I have a private car that takes me right to the Virgin Upper Class area, so will definitely report back on that.  On the way back to JFK, am on the 787, but on the window side.  I think it was Ghost of LL that said he didn't like the configuration so will report back.

Now, you may ask why did I put all this hear.  I am actually going to use this as my outline for my trip report.  I am going to try and do a good job of actually writing things up as real time as I can while I am enjoying coffee or something in the AMs.  We shall see how that goes and how hungover I might be.  

There are some activities I still have yet to plan out, like a visit to the Cluny, which just reopened after a multi-year renovation, and spa/self care time.  

I am really ready to go, except for the whole still have a shitload of work to accomplish AND packing to do.  I hate packing.  

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Can’t wait to follow along. Stop at Fortnum and Mason’s if you have 10 minutes after dropping off stuff at Brown’s. 

I will.  I need strawberry and champagne jam from there.  I am headed to McQueen, but I am not buying anything as I have a number of items on pre-order.  😊

So far, so good.  Smooth trip to JFK.  Made It through security with one hiccup.  The clutch I packed looks like brass knuckles on the x-ray, so the TSA supervisor and I had a good laugh about it.  

At the Centurion Lounge.  Had a stretch session at EQX Labs and then headed to the Speakeasy for Espresso Martinis.  Having one more and then headed to the gate.  Repping the Astros this evening as well.

20220513_143822.jpg

20220513_165816.jpg

20220513_170325.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Thoughts on Virgin Upper...I've had better.  But I've also had worse.  The crew is fantastic though.  

The shower at the arrivals lounge made a world of difference.  On Heathrow Express (always pay the 8 quid extra for first class), and should be at Paddington any minute now.  Need to hit an ATM to tip the porter and pay the cab, then it's off to St. Pancras.  

4 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I know I would be a zombie by the time I got to St Pancras.  You’ll catch a good nap on the train. 

Oh I did.  Slept all but the last 15 minutes.  Had caught a second wind, but after unpacking and organizing, have decided napping is the right answer.  That and drinking water.  

Didn't make it to the Palais Galliera for the exhibits, so will have to do that another day.  Did make it to their terrace for lunch though.  The setting is great, food and drinks interesting, but don't be in a hurry.  Service got bogged down today because there were a number of large (5 or more) tables.  It was Sunday afternoon with gorgeous weather, so I can't complain.

Afterwards, hit MAM.  The Toyen exhibit was exceptional.  I'm not a modern art person, but I loved her work.  

Afterwards, came back to the hotel and took a nap.  Then had a massage, and now on my way to dinner at Le Chardenoux.  It's pouring and will be the rest of the night, so it'll be an early night comparatively.

On 5/13/2022 at 1:58 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So far, so good.  Smooth trip to JFK.  Made It through security with one hiccup.  The clutch I packed looks like brass knuckles on the x-ray, so the TSA supervisor and I had a good laugh about it.  

At the Centurion Lounge.  Had a stretch session at EQX Labs and then headed to the Speakeasy for Espresso Martinis.  Having one more and then headed to the gate.  Repping the Astros this evening as well.

20220513_143822.jpg

20220513_165816.jpg

20220513_170325.jpg

Fuck those cheating cocksuckers

11 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Interested in your take on the MAM.  I hit the Tate in London some years ago and there’s a wide definition on what constitutes art. 

No shit. Went to this exhibit below at the Tate Modern on Friday night. The concept was cool but there were literally two rooms to visit and we were done in about 15 minutes. Oh well, I was happy to get back to the pub.

https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/yayoi-kusama-infinity-mirror-rooms

21 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Fuck those cheating cocksuckers

Houston Astros Fist Pump GIF by MLB

Wore my Astros shirt while touring Montmartre.  Got stopped by a woman on the metro platform from Houston saying, "Go Astros."

So Montmartre is a lot of fun.  Will put more up later, but yeah.

20220516_155335.jpg

20220516_150027.jpg

20220516_162919.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

On 5/16/2022 at 12:55 AM, CycleTex87 said:

Interested in your take on the MAM.  I hit the Tate in London some years ago and there’s a wide definition on what constitutes art. 

On 5/16/2022 at 1:08 AM, Doug E. Fresh said:

No shit. Went to this exhibit below at the Tate Modern on Friday night. The concept was cool but there were literally two rooms to visit and we were done in about 15 minutes. Oh well, I was happy to get back to the pub.

https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/yayoi-kusama-infinity-mirror-rooms

So at MAM, I was there for three reasons.  1, it was part of the YSL at the museum stuff to celebrate YSLs 60th anniversary.  2, the Toyen exhibit.  3, the Anita Molinero exhibit.

They exhibited YSL clothes along with art that inspired the clothes.  These were done with two of Matisse's murals.  Those were beautiful.  

20220515_152927.jpg

20220515_152939.jpg

20220515_153129.jpg

The Toyen exhibit was a ton of fun.  She ended up as a surrealist, and some of her works are absolutely exquisite.

20220515_152939.jpg

20220515_145445.jpg

20220515_150000.jpg

20220515_150128.jpg

20220515_150036.jpg

20220515_150614.jpg

20220515_150651.jpg

20220515_150932.jpg

20220515_151200.jpg

20220515_151215.jpg

20220515_151439.jpg

20220515_151522.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

is the museum of modern art the same as the pompidou?

Tell us some more thoughts on montmarte please.   it's quieter than some of the other tourist destinations - less shopping and fine dining, but has an older feel to it.  the fact that degas, picasso, utrillo, matisse, renoir, van gogh, etc lived there is cool enough for me.

20 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

is the museum of modern art the same as the pompidou?

Tell us some more thoughts on montmarte please.   it's quieter than some of the other tourist destinations - less shopping and fine dining, but has an older feel to it.  the fact that degas, picasso, utrillo, matisse, renoir, van gogh, etc lived there is cool enough for me.

No.  Paris MAM is in the 8th where Pompidou is in the 3rd.

Back to the MAM, the third exhibit was Anita Molinero.  Her stuff, I didn't get.  I don't think of it as art.

I mean, it looks cool, but it's Styrofoam she has stacked that is burned or treated to acid.  Feels more like a science experiment.

20220515_152252.jpg

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No.  Paris MAM is in the 8th where Pompidou is in the 3rd.

Back to the MAM, the third exhibit was Anita Molinero.  Her stuff, I didn't get.  I don't think of it as art.

I mean, it looks cool, but it's Styrofoam she has stacked that is burned or treated to acid.  Feels more like a science experiment.

20220515_152252.jpg

ugh.  i have no respect for that kind of art.  worked at the blanton for 4 years and developed a nice appreciation for some art and learned a lot, but there was so much that i just didnt get.  curators would go nuts and pay fortunes for monotone canvases, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

ugh.  i have no respect for that kind of art.  worked at the blanton for 4 years and developed a nice appreciation for some art and learned a lot, but there was so much that i just didnt get.  curators would go nuts and pay fortunes for monotone canvases, etc.

I’ve seen some cool stuff at the Guggenheim (one looksd to be all grey and white, but was actually NY times pages) but I can paint a fucking canvas red, put some texture to it, and come up with some BS about what it represents.