Penelope Witherspoon's Travel Thread

28 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Sounds like a great trip. Annoyed that I can’t get to Italy without a 5 day quarantine but Spain and France have opened up to UK travelers so that’s my likely option now.

Can’t recommend much for Zurich, it’s a bit sleepy. Used to go there for board meetings for a night or two and stayed at the Dolder Grand, which was pretty nice. We would go into the old town for dinner or drinks but nothing ever stood out.

With proof of vaccination there is no quarantine. 

1 hour ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Sounds like a great trip. Annoyed that I can’t get to Italy without a 5 day quarantine but Spain and France have opened up to UK travelers so that’s my likely option now.

Can’t recommend much for Zurich, it’s a bit sleepy. Used to go there for board meetings for a night or two and stayed at the Dolder Grand, which was pretty nice. We would go into the old town for dinner or drinks but nothing ever stood out.

Understood.  I had to book a new flight as I was originally transiting through London on BA.  Fortunately, Swiss was offering cheap business class flights.  

I am hoping that the Delta shit is on the downward spiral now, and that my planned trip to London and Paris in January 2022 for my birthday will happen.  The plan for that one is to fly in and out of Heathrow and use Eurostar to get to and from Paris.  Of course, right now, there are only two trains a day, but I hope that improves as more and more people are vaccinated and we get this shit more under control, they will add more trains.  

On 8/6/2021 at 1:27 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Not from the UK (Doug E. Fresh moved, remember?)  I ran into the same problem with Italy, even though I was just transiting through.  

Yup, mandatory five day quarantine for UK travelers. They will decide to end or extend on August 30 but who knows what will happen.

On 8/6/2021 at 1:32 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Understood.  I had to book a new flight as I was originally transiting through London on BA.  Fortunately, Swiss was offering cheap business class flights.  

I am hoping that the Delta shit is on the downward spiral now, and that my planned trip to London and Paris in January 2022 for my birthday will happen.  The plan for that one is to fly in and out of Heathrow and use Eurostar to get to and from Paris.  Of course, right now, there are only two trains a day, but I hope that improves as more and more people are vaccinated and we get this shit more under control, they will add more trains.  

You should be fine in January, absent any crazy new variant popping up. The UK is in great shape now, will have about 90% of adults jabbed in about another month. Delta is on the way down significantly. Cases still a bit high here but hospitalizations and deaths are low and the vaccine program is working. Life is starting to return to normal in London, although it still feels a bit quiet at times. There isn’t the “buzz” you normally have in the city, but that can be nice too. Pubs, restaurants, etc are quieter and easier to get in.

1 hour ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

You should be fine in January, absent any crazy new variant popping up. The UK is in great shape now, will have about 90% of adults jabbed in about another month. Delta is on the way down significantly. Cases still a bit high here but hospitalizations and deaths are low and the vaccine program is working. Life is starting to return to normal in London, although it still feels a bit quiet at times. There isn’t the “buzz” you normally have in the city, but that can be nice too. Pubs, restaurants, etc are quieter and easier to get in.

Now we have to worry about the US.  🤬🤬🤬

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I’m just hoping they allow vaccinated Americans in without quarantine post August 30.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Yup, it’s hard when the rules are always changing. EU is supposed to be discussing the possibility of  travel restrictions for Americans this week. Hope it all works out for you.

22 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Yup, it’s hard when the rules are always changing. EU is supposed to be discussing the possibility of  travel restrictions for Americans this week. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks.  I know.  My friend and I are really irritated.  I wish that the EU, the UK, and the USA could all agree that vaccinated people could travel without quarantine for any reason.  None of this recovered or negative tests.  Make the carrot huge for the vaccinated.  I know kids cannot take the vaccine yet, but kids under 12 would be the only ones who could have a negative test or proof of recovery.  I do not know why they are making this so hard!  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

19 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Talked to my friend last night.  We are considering changing our travel dates to fly out on August 29 to make it in right under the cut if things change.  Bad thing for me, it is 750 more for my flight (not sure what it will cost my friend), but I would rather pay the extra money than NOT get to go.  

Bad thing is, I might have to work a bit if I do that, but I can handle that.  I would just need to make sure my new gig is good with it.  It is only two days extra.  

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Talked to my friend last night.  We are considering changing our travel dates to fly out on August 29 to make it in right under the cut if things change.  Bad thing for me, it is 750 more for my flight (not sure what it will cost my friend), but I would rather pay the extra money than NOT get to go.  

Bad thing is, I might have to work a bit if I do that, but I can handle that.  I would just need to make sure my new gig is good with it.  It is only two days extra.  

I suspect you will be fine. While the EU can make recommendations, each member country decides their owntravel restrictions. And Italy, Spain, etc need the tourism money badly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I suspect you will be fine. While the EU can make recommendations, each member country decides their owntravel restrictions. And Italy, Spain, etc need the tourism money badly. 

Yes.  I know.  We also know the current regulations are good through the 30th of August.  750 more for the flight is small beans to get some peace of mind.  My friend Jenni is going camping on Wednesday, so I am going to have a chat with her tomorrow evening if we want to make the call.  I am going to go ahead and reach out to my new boss and give him a heads up and see what he says.  :)

I won't be upset about two extra days in Italia.

Just read an article by the Points Guy written just a couple of days ago that said as long as you have your vaccine card the entire country of Italy is open to you. I'm guessing any changes they make, if they make any at all, will be for those using recent test, instead of a vaccine card, to travel and do things. He said that tests didn't always get you in, but had zero issues with his CDC card anywhere. 

We are keeping our original date.  My flight was 750 to change, and I was ok to do that. But for my friend to change her flight, it doubled the cost of her flight.  So we are going to go with our original dates.  

I think Italy is intent to stay open to the vaccinated, but I am worried they might implement a quarantine on us like they did on the UK.  That would make it not worth going.  

Further we connect in Switzerland, so they could always fuck us too.  

We will just continue monitoring.  If I have to cancel, I am going to have 5k worth of flights to use later since I had to change the BA flight initially thanks to those quarantine requirements even for airside transit.

41 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

We are keeping our original date.  My flight was 750 to change, and I was ok to do that. But for my friend to change her flight, it doubled the cost of her flight.  So we are going to go with our original dates.  

I think Italy is intent to stay open to the vaccinated, but I am worried they might implement a quarantine on us like they did on the UK.  That would make it not worth going.  

Further we connect in Switzerland, so they could always fuck us too.  

We will just continue monitoring.  If I have to cancel, I am going to have 5k worth of flights to use later since I had to change the BA flight initially thanks to those quarantine requirements even for airside transit.

The EU is meeting this week to discuss and (probably) vote on banning Americans again due to Delta ravaging this county. Heads up. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

40 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The EU is meeting this week to discuss and (probably) vote on banning Americans again due to Delta ravaging this county. Heads up. 

I know. That is why we were looking at changing our dates because Italy's guidance is good through August 30, 2021.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

If my September trip to Italy gets cancelled again, you will see me on the evening news. I'll be the arrested for who knows what, but I'm gonna go ballistic. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

If my September trip to Italy gets cancelled again, you will see me on the evening news. I'll be the arrested for who knows what, but I'm gonna go ballistic. 

you might want to start preparing yourself mentally and emotionally.  seriously.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, The Ace of Aces said:

Ya, I misread your last post - my bad. 

I'm assume they block Americans. They should. 

I wouldn't blame them, but I would be pissed off.  If they do, I assume there will be a date that they do it as of.  Once that happens, I would probably force the issue and change my flight.  I might even be nice and pay for my friend to change her flight.  Cause ultimately, it would be less $$ for me to pay her change, and have her pick up half the lodging than it is for me to pay for my change and pick up all of the lodging.  

The European Union next week will review the list of states from which non-essential travel is allowed and could reconsider the inclusion of the United States, according to reports in Reuters and Bloomberg, citing EU officials.

However, the restrictions would reportedly only apply to non-vaccinated Americans. Those who are fully inoculated would still be permitted to travel.

According to the sources, the U.S. no longer meets the conditions to be part of the list, after an increase in the number of COVID-19 cases. The threshold to be included in the EU’s list of epidemiologically safe countries is no more than 75 new COVID-19 cases per 100,000 inhabitants over the previous 14 days.

All hope is not lost yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

To be fair, if I do have to cancel thanks to idiot anti-vaxxers causing COVID cases to skyrocket in the South (too bad the EU cannot look at it and say if you live in these states, we are ok with you coming), I have resigned to console myself with the purchase of something expensive in lieu of a vacation.  And I will have 2 prepaid business class flights to be able to reschedule for next year.

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

To be fair, if I do have to cancel thanks to idiot anti-vaxxers causing COVID cases to skyrocket in the South (too bad the EU cannot look at it and say if you live in these states, we are ok with you coming), I have resigned to console myself with the purchase of something expensive in lieu of a vacation.  And I will have 2 prepaid business class flights to be able to reschedule for next year.

A week stay at the The Mark penthouse should suffice. 

9 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

A week stay at the The Mark penthouse should suffice. 

I was thinking more like a Fendi Peekaboo (https://www.fendi.com/us/woman-bags/peekaboo-iseeu-medium_3 or https://www.fendi.com/us/bags-woman/peekaboo-iseeu-east-west-8bn323adycf1d48; because I was going to get one BEFORE I had to drop 7k on Rini's surgury last month) and maybe a pair of Elsa Peretti bone cuffs and a couple of Hermes scarves.  

Not going on this trip will save me a shitload of money just in not having to pay for the house/dog sitter.  

FYI, if anyone is ever thinking about coming to NYC, I would happily coordinate to go on a trip, and you can stay in my house gratis if you would dog sit.  :)

Harvey and Rini are amazing, and my apartment is really, really nice.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Yeah, I am shocked.  I could still see Italy requiring the vaccinated to quarantine a la what they did with the UK, but we will see.  I hope not.  I would much rather spend a lot of money on a trip to Italy.

9 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, I am shocked.  I could still see Italy requiring the vaccinated to quarantine a la what they did with the UK, but we will see.  I hope not.  I would much rather spend a lot of money on a trip to Italy.

And that's exactly why, I think they won't do that, at least for the vaccinated. They need the tourism dollars. I've prepaid a lot of things, and can get the money back on some things, but in the 2 weeks that we're there we will spend a lot more. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sitting in the Zurich airport. Ready to get to Naples and take this mask off.

Only complaint so far is the plane was too hot, especially with the mask. Airport isn't cooled either. Would be great if there were open windows though. I know we Americans like our AC, but come on, Europe. At least have fucking fans.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/8/2021 at 2:51 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Yup, mandatory five day quarantine for UK travelers. They will decide to end or extend on August 30 but who knows what will happen.

Ha, and as I expected, Italy removed the 5-day quarantine for UK travelers. Oh well, Morocco was already canceled and replaced with Spain.

Ditto what washparkhorn said. Lovely pictures and I'm so happy for you that the trip was able to happen. We were fans of Stanley Tucci's show on Italy earlier this year, and one of the episodes covered Amalfi and the wonderful lemons. I am a big fan of lemon flavor, and was drooling from the couch. There was one dessert that was featured and my husband and I were curious about it so if you saw it or tried it, would love to hear your take. It's called Lemon Delight.

Here's a pic from the internet:

Delizia Al Limone - The Best Wallpaper Images

Can't wait to read all about your journey.

Once I was back, I did some unpacking (got some of my dry cleaning to the cleaners yesterday AM before heading into the office for the afternoon).  Now, I need to do the rest of the unpacking today, do laundry, and start thinking through the trip and aggregating everything.  I still need to take the costs from some of the stays and put them in our app so my friend and I can appropriately split costs.  Fun times.

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2021 at 9:50 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Once I was back, I did some unpacking (got some of my dry cleaning to the cleaners yesterday AM before heading into the office for the afternoon).  Now, I need to do the rest of the unpacking today, do laundry, and start thinking through the trip and aggregating everything.  I still need to take the costs from some of the stays and put them in our app so my friend and I can appropriately split costs.  Fun times.

Heading to Naples soon, so would love any recommendations 

On 10/16/2021 at 2:24 AM, Ted Lange said:

Heading to Naples soon, so would love any recommendations 

Hi there.  Since you are going in October, I am not sure what has closed for season in Capri or in the Amalfi Coast, and the water is colder (still above 70, but with cooler temps, maybe not great) and seas choppy, I will stick to recommendations in the city of Naples and its surrounds.  

So, for pizza, I can recommend:

50 KALO - though if you are going out there, make sure the restaurant calls you a cab back to Naples.  The public transport system is not as reliable as it could be, and taxi to and from is the fastest way.  The pizza here is amazing.  It is also super reasonable.  4 of us had 3 pizzas, appetizers, cocktails and bottles of wine for under 100 Euros.  I left a nice tip to our server for dealing with our drunk asses that night (we had been drinking since 4 or 5 and it was just before midnight when we got there).  

Pizzeria Antonio Sorbillo - There are two Sorbillos, Gino Sorbillo (which as you face the shops on Via dei Tribunali) is on the left, and Antonio, which is on the right.  I like Antonio, as if you catch it at the right time, there is no wait.  Go in off times.  The pizza at both is absolutely outstanding and so, so inexpensive.  

L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele - They do Margherita and White, and both are excellent

Other Places:  We really just popped into places that were on the route where we were.  We did not have a bad meal there.  Definitely have Limoncello Spritzes as your aperitivo.

On places and things to see, if you have a day and can, go out to Pompeii.  We were hung over, and did not make out trip out there, so it is still on my list of things to see and do.  We had booked an AirBnB experience which was Pompeii in the AM, and lunch at the vineyards that produce Lacryma Christi from their vineyards on Vesuvius.  When I go back, I will definitely do that.  Also, Herculunaem is on my list as well.

The most interesting things we did in Naples is go to the Cloisters of Santa Chiari and the Naples Underground.  The Cloisters are absolutely beautiful and there are ruins of baths within the site that you can see.

There are two Naples Underground tours.  The first takes you under one of the big churches and you see what remains of the Roman Market.  I loved this one.  The second one, takes you inside the old aqueduct system that was used well into the 19th century and became shelters during WWII.  There are parts of this that are VERY tight, and I hated this one.  Was interesting, but I have a touch of claustrophobia, so not good for me.  After, you go around the corner to what remains of one of Nero's theaters.  You go into a typical Naples house, and the remains are in the basement.  Another tight enclosed space, so I waited outside with a friend we had met on the tour (This couple is who we drank all evening with and then went to 50 Kalo with).  

There are tons of other things to see, but to me, these represent the do not miss.  When I go back, I will probably go alone.  I like to get lost in the alleys and wander leisurely, and my friend is more of a purposeful traveler.  We still had a fantastic time.  

When I was looking at what to do, I found a lot of "Top Naples Attractions" or "Top things to do in Naples" lists.  I like Culture Trip for some of that as well.

Starting to plan the next trip. It is back to places I have been before, London and Paris.  

As of now, I fly out (Virgin Atlantic Upper Class) on the 7th (arrive on the 8th) of January, JFK to Heathrow.  Will be staying at the London Edition that Saturday and Sunday.  Then on the 10th of January (Which also happens to be my birthday), I will train to Paris.  On arriving in Paris, I am staying that first night at Le Roch Hotel (one of my favorite).  The afternoon will be filled with leisurely shopping and perhaps a bottle of bubbly at my favorite little cafe on the Rue Saint Honore.  Dinner that night, I am hopping to grab a reservation at La Scene.  

Then on Tuesday, January 11th, I move into an apartment on the Rue de Richelieu.  The apartment sleeps 6, and I will eventually have friends join me later in the week.  So far, nothing else has been planned.  We have the apartment until Tuesday, January 18th.  I will train back to London then.  My flight as of now is returning on the 19th, but I might reschedule and come back on the weekend as I might work out of our London office and meet the folks there, which would kill two birds with one stone.  :D

I do know while in London, I want to hit up 40 Maltby, which was recommended years ago, and seems to have more of a following now.  

Other than that, I am interested, while in Paris, to hit as many women owned/women chef restaurants as I can.  Like NYC, Paris is woefully behind on that front.  On my list besides La Scene are:

Le Servan

Sardanac

Yam'Tcha

Virtus

Pertinence

Coretta

I am also thinking about one other splurge meal.  Maybe one of the 3 star Michelin places.  La Scene is two.  Might also try and do a return to Maison or Septime, though I would like to try out as many new places as possible.

On London, other than 40 Maltby, I have no idea.  If I stay and work out the rest of the week, I will be staying in Westminster as that is where our office is.  I have no idea where I would try and go.  

Needless to say, lots of fun research to do over the next 3 months.

• 4 weeks later...

Trip is now extended through the 23.  Will be working out of our London office that second week once I am in town.  Nicely, our office is in Westminster, so not a bad place to have to stay.  For the weekend after, was trying to go somewhere, but I figured it has been so long since I schlepped around London, might as well just enjoy it.  

Very early planning stages now.  Reached out to La Scene for a reservation and am on the waiting list for MoSuke.