Penelope Witherspoon's Travel Thread

So less than two months out now.  The trip as of now is split up as such:

Leave NY on the 7th of January - Flying Virgin Atlantic Upper Class from JFK to Heathrow on the new A350.  These went into service right before the pandemic.  Looking forward to it.  

Arrive London on the 8th.  Staying at the London Edition for two nights.  On tap for the time in London will be dinner with friends that Saturday night.  Planning on 40 Maltby.  Really have nothing else planned at the moment.  Need to start looking into that.

Train to Paris Monday morning, Jan 10th (my birthday).  Will arrive in Paris at 2.  Staying at Le Roch Hotel & Spa the first night.  Will be buying my birthday present once I drop my luggage off at the hotel, so will spend that afternoon on the Rue. Saint-Honore.  Dinner that night is up in the air. I had hoped to get a reservation at La Scene, but they informed me they do not do tables of 1 at dinner (they do do them in the bistro for lunch however).  So I reached out to the hotel concierge.  Looking at either Arpege, Septime, or David Toutain.  I have been to Septime, but only at lunch and a number of years ago at that. The other two have been on my wish list.

On Tuesday, I move to a really great apartment on the Rue de Richelieu right near the Palais Royale.  I will be there for 7 nights.  When this was all originally booked, there were going to be a number of us there, but one of my friends is moving back to New York from Copenhagen, which is amazing, but also means she might not be able to be in Paris (she was planning on joining me Wednesday to do some vintage shopping and hit up Les Puces de Saint-Ouen).  Another friend might get stuck in Australia as her state is still pretty much on lockdown as they have very low vaccination rates (also incredibly low cases of Covid but still).  So there may be only me in the apartment until Thursday night when my other friends from London come down.  Oh well, more space.  :)

Still no plans.  Will flesh those out starting now.  It is just now getting to the point where plans can be made.

I leave Paris on the 18th in the AM and train back to London. Staying at the St. Ermin and working out of our office.  Then on Friday, will change to the Kimpton Fitzroy and spend the weekend before flying back to NY on Sunday afternoon.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So less than two months out now.  The trip as of now is split up as such:

Leave NY on the 7th of January - Flying Virgin Atlantic Upper Class from JFK to Heathrow on the new A350.  These went into service right before the pandemic.  Looking forward to it.  

Arrive London on the 8th.  Staying at the London Edition for two nights.  On tap for the time in London will be dinner with friends that Saturday night.  Planning on 40 Maltby.  Really have nothing else planned at the moment.  Need to start looking into that.

Train to Paris Monday morning, Jan 10th (my birthday).  Will arrive in Paris at 2.  Staying at Le Roch Hotel & Spa the first night.  Will be buying my birthday present once I drop my luggage off at the hotel, so will spend that afternoon on the Rue. Saint-Honore.  Dinner that night is up in the air. I had hoped to get a reservation at La Scene, but they informed me they do not do tables of 1 at dinner (they do do them in the bistro for lunch however).  So I reached out to the hotel concierge.  Looking at either Arpege, Septime, or David Toutain.  I have been to Septime, but only at lunch and a number of years ago at that. The other two have been on my wish list.

On Tuesday, I move to a really great apartment on the Rue de Richelieu right near the Palais Royale.  I will be there for 7 nights.  When this was all originally booked, there were going to be a number of us there, but one of my friends is moving back to New York from Copenhagen, which is amazing, but also means she might not be able to be in Paris (she was planning on joining me Wednesday to do some vintage shopping and hit up Les Puces de Saint-Ouen).  Another friend might get stuck in Australia as her state is still pretty much on lockdown as they have very low vaccination rates (also incredibly low cases of Covid but still).  So there may be only me in the apartment until Thursday night when my other friends from London come down.  Oh well, more space.  :)

Still no plans.  Will flesh those out starting now.  It is just now getting to the point where plans can be made.

I leave Paris on the 18th in the AM and train back to London. Staying at the St. Ermin and working out of our office.  Then on Friday, will change to the Kimpton Fitzroy and spend the weekend before flying back to NY on Sunday afternoon.

Have you done Clamato? Also part of the Septime group, but next door. Can put your name down and hang out at Septime le Cave (my favorite wine  bar in the world). Also nearby in the 11th is Le Servan, which is new-ish and fantastic. 

3 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Have you done Clamato? Also part of the Septime group, but next door. Can put your name down and hang out at Septime le Cave (my favorite wine  bar in the world). Also nearby in the 11th is Le Servan, which is new-ish and fantastic. 

Le Servan is on the list to go to, and probably will head there Friday night when my friends are in town.  I have been wanting to go there for a while.

I have not done Clamato.  Will probably do that later in the week.  Or even the following Monday.  I just wanted to do a big blow out dinner on my birthday.  

Other places on the list are Laperouse (old school place that has been totally redone...though not sure if that will be for the larger group or just me alone) and Sadarnac.  I am really just now starting to really look at places and get the list put together to start to figure out where to go.  Last time we were in Paris, we went to Maison, which had just opened.  However, they are closed at the moment as they are doing some repairs at the restaurant.   They say they will reopen mid-January.  If they reopen, might be good to go there for a meal.  It was very good when we were there last time, but still really new.

There are a few new Paris restaurant lists I am starting to look at to see if there are some new places to check out.  

And then I still have London to do.  London has some really excellent restaurants, and I need to start going to a few of them.  

• Fuck You 2

Alas, I've never been to Germany.  I wish I could help.

YOU ARE DEAD TO ME.

Actually, funny thing is, until our kids decided to be german scholars, Germany wasn’t even on our radar. And now we love it. But we haven’t been to Italy yet….the boy’s best friend in Berlin is Italian, so he’s good. To hang out with him in Italy for a month this summer - maybe we’ll get some inside scoop there. I know you have a lot to share on that account.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Stop complaining about return negs when you neg bomb first, you psycho.  Or don't.  I don't care.

Well, obviously you do care.  Let's compare shall we?

I have only negged you in the Kyle Rittenhouse thread in the Cloak Room.   I have explained why, and I keep it to that.  You, go to all my posts, including in my own thread and just neg bomb. 

It continues to amaze me that some men, like you obviously are, are so threatened by strong, successful women.  You think that if a woman chooses to be single, to not have children, that there is something wrong with us.  You denigrate me.  You call me a psycho.  You make personal attacks on me.  However, every accusation is a confession.  You have proven time and time again that you are not right in the head and that something is wrong with you.  Personally, I just think you are a miserable, pathetic human being.  You are obviously broken, so do us all a favor.  Post less, or even better yet, stop posting all together.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, obviously you do care.  Let's compare shall we?

I have only negged you in the Kyle Rittenhouse thread in the Cloak Room.   I have explained why, and I keep it to that.  You, go to all my posts, including in my own thread and just neg bomb. 

It continues to amaze me that some men, like you obviously are, are so threatened by strong, successful women.  You think that if a woman chooses to be single, to not have children, that there is something wrong with us.  You denigrate me.  You call me a psycho.  You make personal attacks on me.  However, every accusation is a confession.  You have proven time and time again that you are not right in the head and that something is wrong with you.  Personally, I just think you are a miserable, pathetic human being.  You are obviously broken, so do us all a favor.  Post less, or even better yet, stop posting all together.

You personally attacked me and negged me repeatedly long before I ever responded or negged you.  Most women who are single and childless past their childbearing years do not appear happy to me. I mean you won't visit your parents in Texas because of Texas' politics?  Cuckoo.

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

You personally attacked me and negged me repeatedly long before I ever responded or negged you.  Most women who are single and childless past their childbearing years do not appear happy to me. I mean you won't visit your parents in Texas because of Texas' politics?  Cuckoo.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

This just tells me you don't know shit about anything.  

Now, get out of my thread and stay out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Doug E. Fresh, I think you mentioned there are rapid PCR tests, yes?  So if I land ona Saturday, can I arrange for a rapid PCR test and get a result that day?  I have dinner plans that night, and want to comply with the rules, but since I’m only in London two days to start and already have plans on both Saturday and Sunday, want to make sure I can do those things and make my train to Paris on Monday.  

31 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

@Doug E. Fresh, I think you mentioned there are rapid PCR tests, yes?  So if I land ona Saturday, can I arrange for a rapid PCR test and get a result that day?  I have dinner plans that night, and want to comply with the rules, but since I’m only in London two days to start and already have plans on both Saturday and Sunday, want to make sure I can do those things and make my train to Paris on Monday.  

Nevermind.  I called the London Edition.  They have an inhouse rapid test. I need to call them about 2 weeks before I arrive to arrange for it.  I do the test there in house, and then in 4-6 hours, I have results.  That is most likely my absolute best option unless something changes.  Perhaps, as more info about Omicron comes out, if it is less serious, then maybe, just maybe, they will relax things a bit.

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Nevermind.  I called the London Edition.  They have an inhouse rapid test. I need to call them about 2 weeks before I arrive to arrange for it.  I do the test there in house, and then in 4-6 hours, I have results.  That is most likely my absolute best option unless something changes.  Perhaps, as more info about Omicron comes out, if it is less serious, then maybe, just maybe, they will relax things a bit.

Yup, there are several places around the city. You can also get one at LHR  but not sure how easy that is to do.

The restrictions will be revisited in 3 weeks so hopefully this will all relax a bit. I’m honestly not that worried about it. England will not go into any serious lockdown measures unless the NHS becomes overwhelmed and hospitals are heaving. At the peak of the pandemic we had 70k patients in hospital. It is 10% of that today. 

Either way, I suspect we won’t know that until late January.

3 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Yup, there are several places around the city. You can also get one at LHR  but not sure how easy that is to do.

The restrictions will be revisited in 3 weeks so hopefully this will all relax a bit. I’m honestly not that worried about it. England will not go into any serious lockdown measures unless the NHS becomes overwhelmed and hospitals are heaving. At the peak of the pandemic we had 70k patients in hospital. It is 10% of that today. 

I land on Jan 8th.  I will be back in New York City in late January.  

On 12/1/2021 at 1:14 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Any new news out of the UK?  I saw that France is shuttering Discoteques and nightclubs for 4 weeks starting December 10.  So that would have those opening back up right when I get to Paris, not that those are that important.  As long as cafes, bars, restaurants, shops, and cultural sights are open, I am good to go.

My friend and I were e-mailing about this trip.  We are both keeping our fingers crossed.  I have an apartment for a week in Paris (and a night in a hotel), and all my UK lodging are in hotels, so I know I am ok there. Going to call the apartment management company next Wednesday to see if they are willing to offer more flexible arrangements.  As of now, I have to cancel by December 27 to get a full refund, but I am not sure I would make a decision by then.  I would guess that we could be set to go and then shit hits the fan the next week, and that could change all our plans.  I am going to ask them to give me a 48 hour cancellation window.

We shall see.  If not, I will be cancelling the apartment, and going fully with a hotel.  Fuck it.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Welp...

I'm a lot less optimistic today.  Sigh.

Thankfully, everything is really flexible.

I wouldn’t worry too much about he new restrictions that came out today. The big requirements are 1) vaccine passports for theatre, cinema and venues that hold over 500, 2) work from home is back and 3) expanded mask requirements. Everything is still open. We just got back from our office Christmas do at the Haymarket hotel. It was so nice to have a fun, boozy night out again. Tomorrow I’ll be at the Churchill Arms in Notting Hill Gate, Friday is dinner and drinks in Shepherds Market, lunch Saturday at the Guinea. I’m going to enjoy the next several weeks and just get on with it.

1 hour ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about he new restrictions that came out today. The big requirements are 1) vaccine passports for theatre, cinema and venues that hold over 500, 2) work from home is back and 3) expanded mask requirements. Everything is still open. We just got back from our office Christmas do at the Haymarket hotel. It was so nice to have a fun, boozy night out again. Tomorrow I’ll be at the Churchill Arms in Notting Hill Gate, Friday is dinner and drinks in Shepherds Market, lunch Saturday at the Guinea. I’m going to enjoy the next several weeks and just get on with it.

Yeah, I went and read what they are doing.  So far, I'm still going.  I have made all my plans as flexible as possible just in case.

Stay safe!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I went and read what they are doing.  So far, I'm still going.  I have made all my plans as flexible as possible just in case.

Stay safe!!!

Cool. Your only travel risk at this point for the UK is if Boris puts in more restrictions after Christmas. I would be shocked if there were any further changes before.

2 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Cool. Your only travel risk at this point for the UK is if Boris puts in more restrictions after Christmas. I would be shocked if there were any further changes before.

It's the after Christmas I am worried about with both the UK and Paris.  Oh well.  I have max flexibility, and should things go south, I'll make that call the week before I am to leave.

On 12/9/2021 at 12:49 AM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Welp, guess I spoke too soon. Wife tested positive for Covid today, I’m negative (for now). She has to isolate for 10 days so should be able to clear it just before Christmas. Hopefully I can avoid it and the the isolation requirement or else Christmas is fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Welp, guess I spoke too soon. Wife tested positive for Covid today, I’m negative (for now). She has to isolate for 10 days so should be able to clear it just before Christmas. Hopefully I can avoid it and the the isolation requirement or else Christmas is fucked.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

On 12/13/2021 at 3:43 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

I tested positive today.  So, that might be a good thing for me though.  So far, just like a mild cold.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:44 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

You and me both.  Very minor symptoms except the fatigue. Pretty damned tired today. Hang in there.

How are you feeling today?  I went to the ZOOM Company Holiday party last night as it was the only one I could attend, drank one bottle of wine, then stupidly opened another, finished that one, and had some meloncello I brought back from Naples.  So needless to say, I woke up with a headache that is 100% unrelated to COVID.

Actually, on the COVID front, the congestion is abating, and I feel a lot better.  Now if I can shake the hangover (Doh!), I would actually feel pretty damned good.  I have taken a nap in the afternoon most days, but that is more because I get sleepy after lunch than a general fatigue I feel.

I did just see that France said no non-essential travel from the UK.  So that completely fucks up my plans for my trip (I was pretty sure it was going to be a no go anyway).

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/16/world/europe/france-uk-travel-restrictions-omicron.html

I have not cancelled anything, but I am pretty sure I will have to.  Hell, my friend who lives in London cannot come, so there is really no fucking point.  And I would have to change all my routing to fly directly into Paris.  

I am really thinking I might just say fuck it, cancel, and reschedule for May.  I fucking hate COVID.

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Italy for spring break is looking iffy, but the Italians generally don't give a fuck.

March and April are my busiest times of year as we do our year end financial reporting on April 30.  So May, I should be home free.  I am also hopeful that by that time, everyone has basically had it.  I think Omicron is going to burn through the world pretty quickly.

• Like 1

This thread is stressing me out. Hope you get to do at least some fun stuff. We’re hoping to hit Scotland in July for the Open Championship at St Andrews and some random wandering (wife wants to see the Isle of Skye) and then maybe meet up with our son and his fiancé in Barcelona for a few days. I have zero confidence that any of that will happen, but you never know. Gotta try at least. 

On 12/16/2021 at 9:03 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

How are you feeling today?  I went to the ZOOM Company Holiday party last night as it was the only one I could attend, drank one bottle of wine, then stupidly opened another, finished that one, and had some meloncello I brought back from Naples.  So needless to say, I woke up with a headache that is 100% unrelated to COVID.

Actually, on the COVID front, the congestion is abating, and I feel a lot better.  Now if I can shake the hangover (Doh!), I would actually feel pretty damned good.  I have taken a nap in the afternoon most days, but that is more because I get sleepy after lunch than a general fatigue I feel.

I did just see that France said no non-essential travel from the UK.  So that completely fucks up my plans for my trip (I was pretty sure it was going to be a no go anyway).

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/16/world/europe/france-uk-travel-restrictions-omicron.html

I have not cancelled anything, but I am pretty sure I will have to.  Hell, my friend who lives in London cannot come, so there is really no fucking point.  And I would have to change all my routing to fly directly into Paris.  

I am really thinking I might just say fuck it, cancel, and reschedule for May.  I fucking hate COVID.

Think I’m pretty much over it after 4 days now. Still a little tired but not bad at all. If I can test negative for 2 consecutive days, I’ll venture back out. I’m supposed to isolate until the 23rd.

Took the dog for a walk tonight and some friends brought me a pint outside at the pub. Starting to get cooped up inside.

19 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Think I’m pretty much over it after 4 days now. Still a little tired but not bad at all. If I can test negative for 2 consecutive days, I’ll venture back out. I’m supposed to isolate until the 23rd.

Took the dog for a walk tonight and some friends brought me a pint outside at the pub. Starting to get cooped up inside.

So, I am pretty much over it now as well.  My nose started running on Sunday, but the congestion did not set in until Monday.  So, I count symptoms from Monday, but I tested on Tuesday.  

I went ahead and retested...and I am still positive as of today even though I do not feel sick at all.  I heard something horrifying from my friend when her daughter tested positive earlier this year.  The Doctor said you could feasibly test positive for 30-90 days.  

So needless to say, I am going to be incredibly cautious and go ahead and postpone my trip to May.  FUCK YOU COVID!

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

So, I am pretty much over it now as well.  My nose started running on Sunday, but the congestion did not set in until Monday.  So, I count symptoms from Monday, but I tested on Tuesday.  

I went ahead and retested...and I am still positive as of today even though I do not feel sick at all.  I heard something horrifying from my friend when her daughter tested positive earlier this year.  The Doctor said you could feasibly test positive for 30-90 days.  

So needless to say, I am going to be incredibly cautious and go ahead and postpone my trip to May.  FUCK YOU COVID!

Penelope, it is very unlikely that you will test positive for that long. If I’m reading it correctly, you’ve only had it for a handful of days. You likely won’t test positive a week from now. It doesn’t disappear in 4 days.

I caught it in February, before being eligible to be vaccinated, and tested negative approximately 10 days after the positive test.

I’m not sure I would cancel just yet, unless you just don’t want to deal with the uncertainty of what is going to happen in Europe. 

On 12/18/2021 at 1:46 AM, Victor Lazlo said:

Penelope, it is very unlikely that you will test positive for that long. If I’m reading it correctly, you’ve only had it for a handful of days. You likely won’t test positive a week from now. It doesn’t disappear in 4 days.

I caught it in February, before being eligible to be vaccinated, and tested negative approximately 10 days after the positive test.

I’m not sure I would cancel just yet, unless you just don’t want to deal with the uncertainty of what is going to happen in Europe. 

Peak for Europe is going to be while I am there.  Further, my trip was already made very difficult given France cutting off travel between the UK and France (my flights are into the UK because it is MUCH easier to fly into LHR and then train into Paris...CDG is a beating to fly in and out of, even in business).  

However, I now have a forward plan.

I am goign to rebook and JUST go to Paris in May.  Well, might take a couple of days and go to Champagne and drink a lot of champagne since this was SUPPOSED to be a birthday shopping trip.  But basically will fly out on a Friday, and then fly back on a Sunday or Monday.  So, getting as much time as possible.  

Then I think I am going to go to Egypt in November.  There is this great guided trip (I have never done one, but Egypt is one of those places I am interested in taking a guided trip to) of all women going in Mid-November.  I am thinking that is my other big trip of the year.  I know I am going to go to London and Geneva for work once or twice in 2022, so I can take some weekend breaks thanks to that in some other cities.  I might also head down to Bogota for a long weekend if I can get an awesome fare deal (can usually get business out of NYC for 500, which is a good fare IMO).  

Then I know 2023 is going to be a week in Capri for my 45th most likely in June or September (my birthday is in January, which is honestly a shit time to travel).

Other bucket list trips I have that might come into play in 2023 are Machu Picchu, Morocco, Thailand, or Bali.  I am leaning hard towards Morocco.    

I am an hour from landing in Houston after 4 days in NYC and 6 in Paris. Honestly, Paris seemed more lax with their worries than NYC, but I found both places easily navigable so long as you’re masked up, have your shit together on testing and have your vax card. 

Anyway, I saw a few things on this page to pass along to Penolope. 

I used to stay at the London Edition when I was regularly visiting London for work. I don’t know if you’ve ever been, but I loved it. It’s about as good as you can get in London and the location is great. Good luck if you’re still going there at some point. 

If there was a Paris thread, I’d gladly do a small write up but I don’t see one. So I’ll respond here to your restaurant thinking on one part of it - Restaurant David Toutain. I’ve eaten at plenty of fine restaurants the western world over, including at numerous Michelin 1+ stars in Paris. I know the drill and what I’m getting into. Still, this place took foodie pomposity to levels in which I’ve never seen. It was a coursing of 10 with wine pairing. The wine “pairing” was a fucking splash of wine each time. We ended up ordering extra bottles of wine during the meal as a means on not leaving the place sober. Most of the pairings were white, because most of the dishes were either vegetable only or seafood. The meal lasted 4.5 hours. We were begging to have it end. The chef is focused on vegetable forward dishes and that was what it was all about, and it was way, way more about food as art than any fucks being given about the food itself. If the art side of it is your thing, have a ball. I appreciate that part of it, but it’s also a meal. 

Anyway, we walked out of there with barely a buzz, exhausted, and still hungry. For four of us, the bill was $2800. The staff, being Parisienne through and through, got pissed about us ordering bottles of wine and stopped actually explaining the pairings on the 6th-10th courses. The whole thing was grim. We went to Normandy the next day and ate at a brasserie in Bayeaux for like €100 at lunch and then ate street food walking back to our apartment from the metro that evening which softened the blow of the dinner tab the night before. Our friends were … not prepared for that tab or experience. So I at least got to laugh at my wife’s accidental troll job with RDT, but that’s about it. 

So, if you decide to go there anyway, I’d love to hear your pov on it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I am an hour from landing in Houston after 4 days in NYC and 6 in Paris. Honestly, Paris seemed more lax with their worries than NYC, but I found both places easily navigable so long as you’re masked up, have your shit together on testing and have your vax card. 

Anyway, I saw a few things on this page to pass along to Penolope. 

I used to stay at the London Edition when I was regularly visiting London for work. I don’t know if you’ve ever been, but I loved it. It’s about as good as you can get in London and the location is great. Good luck if you’re still going there at some point. 

If there was a Paris thread, I’d gladly do a small write up but I don’t see one. So I’ll respond here to your restaurant thinking on one part of it - Restaurant David Toutain. I’ve eaten at plenty of fine restaurants the western world over, including at numerous Michelin 1+ stars in Paris. I know the drill and what I’m getting into. Still, this place took foodie pomposity to levels in which I’ve never seen. It was a coursing of 10 with wine pairing. The wine “pairing” was a fucking splash of wine each time. We ended up ordering extra bottles of wine during the meal as a means on not leaving the place sober. Most of the pairings were white, because most of the dishes were either vegetable only or seafood. The meal lasted 4.5 hours. We were begging to have it end. The chef is focused on vegetable forward dishes and that was what it was all about, and it was way, way more about food as art than any fucks being given about the food itself. If the art side of it is your thing, have a ball. I appreciate that part of it, but it’s also a meal. 

Anyway, we walked out of there with barely a buzz, exhausted, and still hungry. For four of us, the bill was $2800. The staff, being Parisienne through and through, got pissed about us ordering bottles of wine and stopped actually explaining the pairings on the 6th-10th courses. The whole thing was grim. We went to Normandy the next day and ate at a brasserie in Bayeaux for like €100 at lunch and then ate street food walking back to our apartment from the metro that evening which softened the blow of the dinner tab the night before. Our friends were … not prepared for that tab or experience. So I at least got to laugh at my wife’s accidental troll job with RDT, but that’s about it. 

So, if you decide to go there anyway, I’d love to hear your pov on it. 

Good to know about RDT.  I’ve officially postponed until May 13 (Fly out May 13, return May 23).  And now the trip will just be Paris, but I’m still flying in and out of London and training into Paris.  CDG is just a beating.  It is so much easier to go in and out of Gare du Nord.

I’ll be in London for work most likely in March, but the Edition is somewhat farther from our office which is in Westminster.  I’ll have to pick a time to go when I can hit up both Geneva and London as I need to go to both.  Fun times.

18 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Peak for Europe is going to be while I am there.  Further, my trip was already made very difficult given France cutting off travel between the UK and France (my flights are into the UK because it is MUCH easier to fly into LHR and then train into Paris...CDG is a beating to fly in and out of, even in business).  

However, I now have a forward plan.

I am goign to rebook and JUST go to Paris in May.  Well, might take a couple of days and go to Champagne and drink a lot of champagne since this was SUPPOSED to be a birthday shopping trip.  But basically will fly out on a Friday, and then fly back on a Sunday or Monday.  So, getting as much time as possible.  

Then I think I am going to go to Egypt in November.  There is this great guided trip (I have never done one, but Egypt is one of those places I am interested in taking a guided trip to) of all women going in Mid-November.  I am thinking that is my other big trip of the year.  I know I am going to go to London and Geneva for work once or twice in 2022, so I can take some weekend breaks thanks to that in some other cities.  I might also head down to Bogota for a long weekend if I can get an awesome fare deal (can usually get business out of NYC for 500, which is a good fare IMO).  

Then I know 2023 is going to be a week in Capri for my 45th most likely in June or September (my birthday is in January, which is honestly a shit time to travel).

Other bucket list trips I have that might come into play in 2023 are Machu Picchu, Morocco, Thailand, or Bali.  I am leaning hard towards Morocco.    

I just got back from Egypt--guided trip with 10 people---which was amazing. As far as I could tell, everything was open there.  Mask wearing was also very sporadic, though the people working in the tourism industry (guides, hotel clerks, waiters, etc.) all seemed to be masked up.  Just about no one else was.  We were told to carry our vax cards with us, but no one ever checked them.  That said, I don't know that I was ever in a crowded space.   I can't compare it to the before times, but it also seemed fairly empty of tourists.  There were very few other people at the various temples, other than at the Temple of Hapshepsut, which had massive school trips there and was swarming with Egyptian children and teens who wanted to practice their English on us.  Also the venders were extremely aggressive.  I think after nearly two years of few tourists, they were very desperate.

• Hook 'Em 1

One thing I forgot to mention is that Paris, and apparently much of Europe, is empty. We walked into The Louvre, walked up to the Eiffel Tower*, and toured Normandy without any waits or hassles. I mean, the four of us and our guide took Omaha Beach without another person in sight.

After thinking about it, outside of the general lack of Americans, there are pretty much no, and I mean zilch, tourists right now from the far east. I don't recall many in NYC either, but it was a lot more packed, I presume because of American tourists, than Paris.

I would say there isn't a better time to visit Europe than before the far eastern countries fully open up, provided you aren't terrified of corona.

*While I've been to Paris 4 times and my wife way more than that, the other couple had never been, so we did touristy shit for chunks of the trip. We're tourists, sue me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

One thing I forgot to mention is that Paris, and apparently much of Europe, is empty. We walked into The Louvre, walked up to the Eiffel Tower*, and toured Normandy without any waits or hassles. I mean, the four of us and our guide took Omaha Beach without another person in sight.

After thinking about it, outside of the general lack of Americans, there are pretty much no, and I mean zilch, tourists right now from the far east. I don't recall many in NYC either, but it was a lot more packed, I presume because of American tourists, than Paris.

I would say there isn't a better time to visit Europe than before the far eastern countries fully open up, provided you aren't terrified of corona.

*While I've been to Paris 4 times and my wife way more than that, the other couple had never been, so we did touristy shit for chunks of the trip. We're tourists, sue me. 

I couldn’t move my trip up, and given that France had already closed its border to travelers from the UK, postponing was the right answer.  Glad you had a good time.  I’ve been to Paris tons, but I haven’t been since 2019.  Was supposed to be there in 2020, but we know how that turned out.  Sigh.

15 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I couldn’t move my trip up, and given that France had already closed its border to travelers from the UK, postponing was the right answer.  Glad you had a good time.  I’ve been to Paris tons, but I haven’t been since 2019.  Was supposed to be there in 2020, but we know how that turned out.  Sigh.

No, I follow. My last post was meant as a PSA to whomever may be reading. 

Still, you should be more optimistic. The countries in the far east have reminded me of what North Korea did in the book "World War Z" during this pandemic. That is to say, they seem like they've gone all the fucking way underground and have just stayed there. You still might see lighter than expected tourist traffic when you're over there in May. 

I've got plans with my wife to take our daughter to NYC next month for her 10th birthday. If you're around MLK weekend, let me know if you want to grab a drink one day.

While we were in NYC Dec 10-13, getting reservations ahead of time was as hard as we could remember. Once there, folks stated repeatedly that it wasn't due to heightened traffic but more because a wide array of restaurants just straight up closed forever and not many have replaced them. It makes sense, just stark to witness in real time, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, I follow. My last post was meant as a PSA to whomever may be reading. 

Still, you should be more optimistic. The countries in the far east have reminded me of what North Korea did in the book "World War Z" during this pandemic. That is to say, they seem like they've gone all the fucking way underground and have just stayed there. You still might see lighter than expected tourist traffic when you're over there in May. 

I've got plans with my wife to take our daughter to NYC next month for her 10th birthday. If you're around MLK weekend, let me know if you want to grab a drink one day.

While we were in NYC Dec 10-13, getting reservations ahead of time was as hard as we could remember. Once there, folks stated repeatedly that it wasn't due to heightened traffic but more because a wide array of restaurants just straight up closed forever and not many have replaced them. It makes sense, just stark to witness in real time, I guess.

Yeah, I will be here.  Give me a shout.  Number and email still the same.  

Yeah, NYC is almost back to the same crowd level as 2019.  Not quite, but really big.  There are definitely some restaurants that are gone, but a lot went into hibernation and only came out recently.  However, a few have gone back into hibernation until after Christmas.  It is going to be interesting over the next month or two for sure.  

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not surprised Paris was empty. The central parts of major European cities tend to be quiet the week before Christmas as the locals empty out to go visit family, head to the chalets or are on other holidays. The lack of activity, as you say though, is further impacted by no Asian tourists and general Omicron fear. Where I’m at in central London (Marylebone) is absolutely dead now. People are staying home to try and avoid Covid so they can see their families at the weekend. Many of the pubs are shutting in the next few days due to to lack of traffic and looming restrictions. Same for restaurants. We’re going to hit covent garden on Wednesday in hopes of finding some signs of life. In some ways, the mood is almost worse than last year when we just had a lockdown.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Not surprised Paris was empty. The central parts of major European cities tend to be quiet the week before Christmas as the locals empty out to go visit family, head to the chalets or are on other holidays. The lack of activity, as you say though, is further impacted by no Asian tourists and general Omicron fear. Where I’m at in central London (Marylebone) is absolutely dead now. People are staying home to try and avoid Covid so they can see their families at the weekend. Many of the pubs are shutting in the next few days due to to lack of traffic and looming restrictions. Same for restaurants. We’re going to hit covent garden on Wednesday in hopes of finding some signs of life. In some ways, the mood is almost worse than last year when we just had a lockdown.

Same here.  Mood is worse because people are absolutely tired of it.  You have whole hosts of people who have done the right thing, and because of assholes who won't or, the cases of some countries, do not have the infrastructure to get their populations vaccinated/still have assholes who refuse to do the right thing, then it seems like it is a never ending cycle.  Long and short, if you are not vaccinated/boosted, you should not be traveling...PERIOD.  There needs to be significant coordination by the world governments, especially the US and West Europe, to get shots in arms in poor countries.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Same here.  Mood is worse because people are absolutely tired of it.  You have whole hosts of people who have done the right thing, and because of assholes who won't or, the cases of some countries, do not have the infrastructure to get their populations vaccinated/still have assholes who refuse to do the right thing, then it seems like it is a never ending cycle.  Long and short, if you are not vaccinated/boosted, you should not be traveling...PERIOD.  There needs to be significant coordination by the world governments, especially the US and West Europe, to get shots in arms in poor countries.

You summed it up well. People are just tired of it. And here, the blatant disregard by No 10 and other cabinet members for the rules they put in place last year has killed any credibility Boris might have left.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok.  Paid for the first 30% of my trip to Egypt in November.  So excited.  

It is 11 Days/10 Nights.  I will probably arrive in Cairo a day early.  

Day 1 - Cairo

Day 2 - Pyramids and Egyptian Museum

Day 3 - Fly to Luxor - Day in Luxor

Day 4 - Valley of the Kings - Begin a Nile River Cruise (on a new boat)

Day 5, 6, 7 - Nile Cruise

Day 8 - Aswan City

Day 9 - Aswan City/Fly back to Cairo

Day 10 - Cairo

Day 11 - Departure

There is a Red Sea Add on, but I am going to head on home unless I go somewhere else on the way home.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3