Have we talked about Martinis?

Not that Bob

On 7/9/2018 at 9:12 AM, Orange^White said:

Except that EVERY BARTENDER IN THE WORLD knows exactly what it is and will make it the exact same way and there will be no confusion on anyone's part. But, sure, there's no such thing.

Yeah it’s kind of like the fajita conversation some dumbass was trying to push in that other thread.  Oh no oh no oh no...fajita is a particular preparation for beef and there’s no such thing as chicken or shrimp or pork or whatever fajitas.  Yet EVERY TEXMEX RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD has variations of “fajitas” that aren’t beef.  But, sure, there’s no such thing.

• Like 1

58c672b94ab6c9d96b8f91aab41ad57c.jpg

I’ll take my grey goose martini, glass cooled w Ice and half a cap of vermouth, 3 x 1.5 shots of goose, 1/2 cap of vermouth, and a pinch of salt. Shaken to beyond cold. Drop in twist or blue cheese stuffed olives

2X Not quite enough
3x way too many

I’ll Never drink a gin martini, I like life too much and hate pine trees equally

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

58c672b94ab6c9d96b8f91aab41ad57c.jpg

I’ll take my grey goose martini, glass cooled w Ice and half a cap of vermouth, 3 x 1.5 shots of goose, 1/2 cap of vermouth, and a pinch of salt. Shaken to beyond cold. Drop in twist or blue cheese stuffed olives

2X Not quite enough
3x way too many

I’ll Never drink a gin martini, I like life too much and hate pine trees equally

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt know PorscheGuy was a 55 yr old female

32 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I didnt know PorscheGuy was a 55 yr old female

So the heady bouquet of botanicals and juniper is manly ?  The Brits had it right prostitutes  drink gin.

I like gin (Hendricks especially), but it is in no way more manly than vodka, and I'm wondering why anyone here is saying it is. Try that line in Moscow.......

• Like 1

Life is short; drink what you like.

Apparently, I like a something close to a Vesper.

-Pre-chill a martini glass with ice water
-Fill shaker with ice
-Add 3 parts gin
-Add 1 part vodka
-Shake until cold and cloudy
-Strain and serve with a twist of lemon

I've been drinking those for over 20 years.  When done right... oh, yeah.

Edited by solamente73
Bozo beat me to it re: drink what you like
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 7:38 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

The words "Vodka" and "Martini" do not belong in the same paragraph.

I wholeheartedly disagree.  I love a very slightly dirty vodka martini.  And that’s all I have to say about that.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:57 AM, HookEm said:

I thought Waterloo gin was absolute garbage, but to each their own.

I hear ya.  I didn't find it that remarkable myself.  The botanicals are too subtle for me.    It's bland, almost like a vodka (rimshot).  But I do support my local craftsmen in everything from art, music, literature, to spirits.   My dad was blown away by it, and it happens to be his favorite gin, but he only takes his gin with tonic and lime.   The common knock on Texas gins has always been that they were too sweet. 

I picked up a bottle of Hat Trick today, makers of Revival, the red corn bourbon out of Charleston.  It's not bad, but nothing exceptional.  I also picked up a bottle of Koval gin.   It's better than the Hat Trick.  I didn't realize they made a gin.  I tried their 4 grain bourbon and was very impressed, but as I recall you unrefined heathens panned me for it.   

One thing I noticed in the gin section today is there were at least two gins that were amber-colored.  They are apparently starting to age gin in oak barrels, so this could get interesting.  Not sure it would make a good gin and tonic, but it could add some nuance to a martini.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I just made a Vieux Carré, except instead of rye, cognac, vermouth, Benedictine and bitters, I used Pepsi, Pepsi Max, vodka, chocolate milk and saline solution.

A fresh twist on a classic cocktail!

hahahahahahahahahahaha yep drinking a mini iceberg filled, antarctic chilled, VODKA martini right now, with a drive by look at the vermouth bottle just enough to get the vapors to say hey vodka.....

I didn't have time to do my hair, nails and pick out a dress to go with my botanical filled gin martini.....  I can send ya'll a bunch of umbrellas for your gin martinis if you'd like.....

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I just made a Vieux Carré, except instead of rye, cognac, vermouth, Benedictine and bitters, I used Pepsi, Pepsi Max, vodka, chocolate milk and saline solution.

A fresh twist on a classic cocktail!

RIP your asshole

1 minute ago, thrillhammer said:

Has anyone ever tried a cosmo using gin?  I think I'm going to give it a go tonight just to fuck with the vodka drinkers.  If I can pull this off then the only thing vodka will be good for in my house is bloody marys.

You go girl.....