Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

For reference:
Fernando Tatis Jr. signed a 14 year / $340,000,000 contract with the San Diego Padres, including a $10,000,000 signing bonus, $340,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $24,285,714. In 2024, Tatis Jr. will earn a base salary of $11,000,000, while carrying a total salary of $11,714,285.  LINK

The per year cost is insanely backloaded too, even with inflation considered, 36m per over the last 6 years seems crazy to me. 

36 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

For reference:
Fernando Tatis Jr. signed a 14 year / $340,000,000 contract with the San Diego Padres, including a $10,000,000 signing bonus, $340,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $24,285,714. In 2024, Tatis Jr. will earn a base salary of $11,000,000, while carrying a total salary of $11,714,285.  LINK

The per year cost is insanely backloaded too, even with inflation considered, 36m per over the last 6 years seems crazy to me. 

Its a dumb contract but it only takes one team to say yes 

Bregman’s AAV jumps to $30M if he’s traded.  Houston isn’t trading him to an AL team.  He is a 3B only at this point.  Hes a rental.  Those 4 factors eliminate most teams from being matches for a trade.  Giants, Dodgers, and maybe the Cubs would be the only teams that remotely match up.  Some hypotheticals:

To SF for 3B JD Davis, C Joey Bart, P Carson Whisenhunt, and P Reggie Crawford.  Only works if Astros believe they can unlock something in Bart and really like the 2 pitching prospects.  Also only makes sense if Houston has another deal lined up to add a bat that they need to move salary to make room for (like Robert or Arozarena).

To LAD for 3B Michael Busch, P Maddux Bruns, and C Dalton Rushing.  Only makes sense if the Astros believe the Dodgers are missing something in Busch.  Again, also only makes sense if they have another bat lined up that they need Bregman’s money for.

To the Cubs for IF James Triantos, 3B Patrick Wisdom, and P Nazier Mule.  Wisdom can hit at the bottom of the order so if they added Robert or Arozarena to the lineup it’d be a wash, plus they’d pick up a couple good prospects.

I could see Houston effectively trading Hunter Brown and Alex Bregman for Luis Robert, Dylan Cease, and an average everyday 3B (like JD Davis, Michael Busch, or Patrick Wisdom), with some extra money left over to add a bullpen arm.  I’m not 100% sure that makes them better but it’s an interesting idea.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, WBT said:

Who gets murdered?

Yeah this title is misleading as fuck.  From what I could tell trying to pay attention was that only 1 person got murdered and she was blown up in a van.  Hell she may have even gotten away when I wasn't fully paying attention I don't know.  

Cool to see some of Houston back in the late 70s, the dome, Entex sign lol.  

Astros did win the WS 4 games to 3 though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Yeah this title is misleading as fuck.  From what I could tell trying to pay attention was that only 1 person got murdered and she was blown up in a van.  Hell she may have even gotten away when I wasn't fully paying attention I don't know.  

I only made it about 20 minutes in before turning it off, but that's the most surprising part. They said the Astros won game 5 to take a 3-2 lead over the A's after winning 3 in a row. I thought it might have been predicting the future... 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Astros coaches for 2024:

-Manager: Joe Espada
-Bench Coach: Omar Lopez
-Hitting Coach: Alex Cintron
-Hitting Coach: Troy Snitker 
-Hitting Coach: Jason Kanzler
-1B Coach: Dave Clark
-3B Coach: Gary Pettis
-Pitching Coach: Josh Miller
-Bullpen Coach: Bill Murphy
-Game Planning Coach: Tommy Kawamura
-Quality Assurance: Jason Bell
-Catching Coach: Michael Collins
-Bullpen Catcher: Javier Bracamonte

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

100% the orioles need him

he’d show them how to win and theyre stacked with prospects 

look at all the numbers you want, we’re not replacing his leadership and swagger 

I’d be shocked if the O’s showed interest.  The bulk of their prospects are IF, most of whom are already in Baltimore or ready to be there.

Elias’ MO has been to sign ML vets to a reasonably priced one year contract to provide clubhouse leadership and split time with a youngster … Chirinos, Odor, Lyles, Gibson, Frazier.  I think the O’s have young veterans … Mullins, Hays, Mountcastle, Rutschman, Santander … to assume that role.

The O’s are looking for a TOR starter and BP help to offset the loss of Bautista for all of 2024.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Astros coaches for 2024:

-Manager: Joe Espada
-Bench Coach: Omar Lopez
-Hitting Coach: Alex Cintron
-Hitting Coach: Troy Snitker 
-Hitting Coach: Jason Kanzler
-1B Coach: Dave Clark
-3B Coach: Gary Pettis
-Pitching Coach: Josh Miller
-Bullpen Coach: Bill Murphy
-Game Planning Coach: Tommy Kawamura
-Quality Assurance: Jason Bell
-Catching Coach: Michael Collins
-Bullpen Catcher: Javier Bracamonte

Ducking Dave Clark. Hated him as an Astro. 

• Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Scraps said:

I thought it might have been Vida Blue or something. 

IMDB says Bob Allen has a cameo.

12 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Chandler/the Athletic now has us potentially trading Fram. So between MLB and Astros writers and then some of you on this thread we should have about 4 players left come Opening Day after these trades 

IMG_5728.thumb.png.43dd5021c999e9b44c1844afe0016960.png

There might be concern that Framber was only good because of Maldy.  I don’t believe that but the Astros would know more than anyone.  If he’s about to turn into a pumpkin and they can get a franchise-altering return for him (3-4 top 100 prospects) then it might be worthwhile.  I’d guess odds are extremely low because invariably trading him makes the 2024 team worse.  I do expect Urquidy to be traded though. Too many teams out there who could use an experienced playoff starter and he’s probably Houston’s 7th or 8th best SP when everybody’s healthy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

There might be concern that Framber was only good because of Maldy.  I don’t believe that but the Astros would know more than anyone.  If he’s about to turn into a pumpkin and they can get a franchise-altering return for him (3-4 top 100 prospects) then it might be worthwhile.  I’d guess odds are extremely low because invariably trading him makes the 2024 team worse.  I do expect Urquidy to be traded though. Too many teams out there who could use an experienced playoff starter and he’s probably Houston’s 7th or 8th best SP when everybody’s healthy.

More likely no more shift, ground ball pitchers have shorter shelf lives and he's a bit of a headcase.  A lot of things are working against his long term viability as a top of the rotation guy.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 5

He had a 4.66 era in the 2nd half which included a no hitter. He likely went head hunting on a couple of occasions and he is likely to completely lose his shit without Maldonado whispering sweet nothings into his ear.

Frankly, the Astros need to consider all serious offers for Bregman, Tucker, and Framber. Fuck getting individual 2nd round picks when you can get 3 or 4 MLB ready guys instead.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

More likely no more shift, ground ball pitchers have shorter shelf lives and he's a bit of a headcase.  A lot of things are working against his long term viability as a top of the rotation guy.

Don't sell Framber short, Judge.  He's a tremendous headcase.

Edited by runthebone
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

When you look at what STL and the Mets did in paying 13M for 1 year of shitty pitchers show Urquidy should have decent value. 

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He had a 4.66 era in the 2nd half which included a no hitter. He likely went head hunting on a couple of occasions and he is likely to completely lose his shit without Maldonado whispering sweet nothings into his ear.

Frankly, the Astros need to consider all serious offers for Bregman, Tucker, and Framber. Fuck getting individual 2nd round picks when you can get 3 or 4 MLB ready guys instead.

I am way open to the idea of trading Bregman + prospects (and maybe Hunter Brown, Jake Meyers, and Urquidy) adding 2-3 good cost controlled players who are controlled thru 2025.  That would give them 2 seasons with the Altuve/Yordan core to try to win another ring and let Dana Brown try to work magic on the farm to extend the window.  They could finish up 2025 with up to 5 QO candidates and be poised to draft 8-10 of the top 100 prospects available in the 2026 draft, which would either allow them to trade upper level prospects to keep the window open, or supercharge the farm to hasten the rebuild.  Example:

Out: Bregman, Hunter Brown, Urquidy, Meyers, Arrighetti, Leon, Loperfido

In: Cease, Mullins, Moncada, Kopech, Matt Moore (FA), Victor Caratini (FA)

Roster: 

CF Mullins

2B Altuve

DH Alvarez

1B Abreu

RF Tucker

C Diaz

3B Moncada

LF McCormick

SS Pena

Bench: Dubon, Kessinger, Caratini, Singleton

SP: JV, Framber, Cease, Javier, France

RP: Pressly, Abreu, Moore, Montero, Graveman, Kopech, Garcia/Bielak, McCullers/Whitley

2025 potential QO guys: Tucker, Cease, Framber, Mullins, Moncada

Other 2025 free agents: Abreu, Caratini, Verlander, Kopech, Moore, Montero, Pressly

On 11/28/2023 at 7:51 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Episode 39 on FA pitchers. Talk deals done, guys up, look at how astros should approach pitching this offseason and engage in a little personal nonsense.  

Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1ciyY5smx0V32u8XE6lRdt?si=u4sMYwX1TrKZZnPnReameQ

If you were going to send thankful letters to the Astros, which players would get one and why?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

If you were going to send thankful letters to the Astros, which players would get one and why?

Jose Altuve bc I literally love him. 
Yordan for being the best and scariest hitter the astros have ever had imo 

Yainer Diaz, well, you know why. 
I’d send Chas a note of encouragement about pushing away from the banana pudding and not shame eating. You can do it brother.  
Damn, that would have been a good bit!  Outstanding idea. I’m definitely doing this next Thanksgiving. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Jose Altuve bc I literally love him. 
Yordan for being the best and scariest hitter the astros have ever had imo 

Yainer Diaz, well, you know why. 
I’d send Chas a note of encouragement about pushing away from the banana pudding and not shame eating. You can do it brother.  
Damn, that would have been a good bit!  Outstanding idea. I’m definitely doing this next Thanksgiving. 

Turn it into a Christmas thing, and say what gifts each Astro gets!  Gym memberships for Chas and Singleton, LASIK surgery for Pena so he can see the ball, therapy sessions for Framber, etc. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Turn it into a Christmas thing, and say what gifts each Astro gets!  Gym memberships for Chas and Singleton, LASIK surgery for Pena so he can see the ball, therapy sessions for Framber, etc. 

Cooking classes for Bregman so he could learn how to make salsa that doesn't taste like ass.

• Like 1