London

G650

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Wow, the Ledbury closed?  Shit.  I had no idea.

Yep, that was a bummer. He’s going to open another restaurant but it will be more casual - brasserie type place.

We did roast at the Harwood Arms, where he’s focusing now, and it was great. Just too pricey for a roast.

18 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Thread deserves a bump...one of my favorite cities...going back (hopefully) at long last in a couple of months.

Wondering how much the dining scene has changed, if any...any of you been recently?

was there at the end of november.  saved the haute cuisine adventures for the paris part of the trip but went to frenchie in covent garden and had a great time.

and the american bar in the savoy had just re-opened and the norman conquests were flowing.

1 hour ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Yep, that was a bummer. He’s going to open another restaurant but it will be more casual - brasserie type place.

We did roast at the Harwood Arms, where he’s focusing now, and it was great. Just too pricey for a roast.

When we were in London in November 2017, we did the roast at Harwood.  It was excellent.  I should go back and find those photos.  You are right.  It was pricey, but for seriously aged beef, I was ok with it.

36 minutes ago, sidis said:

was there at the end of november.  saved the haute cuisine adventures for the paris part of the trip but went to frenchie in covent garden and had a great time.

and the american bar in the savoy had just re-opened and the norman conquests were flowing.

The American Bar at the Savoy is great.  I think the last time I was there was 2018, but we had a blast. 

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

In 11 1/2 months? You are a planning motherfucker.

I am indeed. But I have a specific room we stay in at our hotel in London (Egerton House Hotel, we moved years ago from The Goring to it) so need to reserve early and are planning some dinner parties in the Netherlands so need to book space. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am probably headed over for a work trip in June.  Trying to think through when to go that would be most advantageous.  Might even try and make it over for two weeks and spend a few days in Geneva (for work).  Thinking through it now.

First week of June will be very lively here, possibly more busy than you want. It’s the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee so we have a four day weekend with 2 and 3 June as bank holidays.

Heading to a (friends who are really) family wedding in the Cotswolds in July.  I've "done London" enough that I don't need it this time.  I'll be spending the non-wedding event days just hitting different cool little villages and taking (way-too-many) photos.  You've been warned in advance.  Heh. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

Heading to a (friends who are really) family wedding in the Cotswolds in July.  I've "done London" enough that I don't need it this time.  I'll be spending the non-wedding event days just hitting different cool little villages and taking (way-too-many) photos.  You've been warned in advance.  Heh. 

I can't wait to see Bert lurking the streets of London like a modern day Jack the Ripper.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

First week of June will be very lively here, possibly more busy than you want. It’s the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee so we have a four day weekend with 2 and 3 June as bank holidays.

I am thinking Mid-June at the earliest since I will just have gotten back from Paris on May 23.  Need to recharge and hang around NYC a bit before heading off again.  Especially with my doggie sit.

8 minutes ago, midtown said:

Anyone want to give me two recos on a nice dinner spot in May?  Staying next to Trafalgar Square.  Don't mind traveling a little bit but don't want to go across town.

Can give you tons of recs if you tell me more about what type of food you’re looking for. Here’s a start, I think the furthest west for these is Notting Hill. Lots of stuff to the east and north in Shoreditch and Islington but haven’t included below. I would start booking tables now. Stuff fills up quickly.

High End/Michelin Star

Core by Clare Smyth

The Ledbury

Frog by Adam Handling

Sunday Roast

The Blacklock

The Guinea Grill

Hawksmoor

Indian

Gymkhana

Trishna

Jamavar

Dishoom

Roti Chai

Italian

Locanda Locatelli

Osteria Romano

Quintessentially British

St. John

Scott’s (seafood)

J Sheekey (seafood)

Rules

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, midtown said:

Anyone want to give me two recos on a nice dinner spot in May?  Staying next to Trafalgar Square.  Don't mind traveling a little bit but don't want to go across town.

And if you want something more modern European

Clipstone (fitzrovia)

Frenchie (covent garden)

The Portland (fitzrovia)

Cora Pearl (covent garden)

Blandford Comptoir (Marylebone)

Louie (soho) run by a former NOLA Brennan’s chef

Wolseley/Delaunay/Fischer’s - all are part of the Corbin & King group and more brasserie style and do great food and excellent breakfast.

Edited by Doug E. Fresh
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I'd love some Islington recs.

Gotcha. Will put something together tomorrow. We’re going to meet some friends over there on Saturday and having lunch at Plaquemine Lock before. I’m often intrigued but usually disappointed when I try the Cajun/southern/Mexican/bbq scene here. This place supposedly rates well.

https://plaqlock.com

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I'd love some Islington recs.

I'll be staying in Islington for the 3rd time in June.  There's something ridiculous like 300 restaurants in the 1.5 mile stretch of Upper Street in Islington. 

Here are places I liked a lot on my first two trips:

Delhi Grill - great Indian

The Pig and Butcher - gastropub. Been here 3 times and I'll go at least once again on my upcoming trip.

Afghan Kitchen - open really late. I think I ate there at 2am. Really good and really cheap.

The Three Johns - pub with solid pizza

Smokehouse - steaks and other meat dishes

Pasha - Turkish restaurant

Llerena? - I think this is the place where you can get a paper cup of Iberico ham and Manchego cheese to-go as a snack. Highly recommended.

Meat Liquor - burgers, wings, strong drinks. There's a 2nd location that has a button on the table. Hit and and they automatically bring Jager shots for the table.

My favorite pubs for drinks are Myddleton Arms and Camden Head.

If there's a band playing at the Lexington, check it out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Gotcha. Will put something together tomorrow. We’re going to meet some friends over there on Saturday and having lunch at Plaquemine Lock before. I’m often intrigued but usually disappointed when I try the Cajun/southern/Mexican/bbq scene here. This place supposedly rates well.

Sounds legit at least

Plaquemine Lock is an English pub set on the Regents Canal in Angel, Islington. We serve Cajun and Creole food, cooked to a very high standard in a very relaxed atmosphere.

At the turn of the twentieth century Jacob Hortenstein came to Plaquemine to build a Lock, which was to enable heavy cargoes of Louisiana timber (from the Schwing Lumber & Shingle Corporation), moss (Schwing Moss co), and later sugar cane and oil, to transfer safely from the Bayou onto the mighty Mississipi. Carrie B Schwing opened Plaquemine Lock in 1909, swooshing a champagne bottle against the lockhouse as the family steamer (also called Carrie B Schwing) passed through the lock gates.

Carrie B Schwing & Jacob Hortenstein’s great-grandson (Jacob Kenedy) opened Plaquemine Lock in London on the Regents Canal. It is a pub serving great beer, strong cocktails and wine for those inclined.

I've been to Plaquemine for work many times (and seen the lock)

375px-Plaquemine_Lock_State_Historic_Sit

29 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I'll be staying in Islington for the 3rd time in June.  There's something ridiculous like 300 restaurants in the 1.5 mile stretch of Upper Street in Islington. 

Here are places I liked a lot on my first two trips:

Delhi Grill - great Indian

The Pig and Butcher - gastropub. Been here 3 times and I'll go at least once again on my upcoming trip.

Afghan Kitchen - open really late. I think I ate there at 2am. Really good and really cheap.

The Three Johns - pub with solid pizza

Smokehouse - steaks and other meat dishes

Pasha - Turkish restaurant

Llerena? - I think this is the place where you can get a paper cup of Iberico ham and Manchego cheese to-go as a snack. Highly recommended.

Meat Liquor - burgers, wings, strong drinks. There's a 2nd location that has a button on the table. Hit and and they automatically bring Jager shots for the table.

My favorite pubs for drinks are Myddleton Arms and Camden Head.

If there's a band playing at the Lexington, check it out. 

Sweet! We’ll have our kids with us (14 & 10) so any we should avoid?

Sweet! We’ll have our kids with us (14 & 10) so any we should avoid?

I would take my kids to all of them. My kids have been to about half that list.

One thing I forgot since it’s not in Islington but isn’t far away is The Experiment. It’s a joint tap room between Verdant and Pressure Drop. Verdant makes some of the best hazy IPAs in the world. If you like beer, it’s worth swinging by for a tasting.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Alright, here are some thoughts on Islington. The area is a bit more limited for me as I don't get over that way very often.

Pasha - excellent Turkish (as noted above); also close to the Kings Head pub, which is great. They do a pub theatre in the back that can be boozy fun at times

Trullo - one of the best Italians in London

12:51 - does a great tasting menu at a reasonable price. Really solid place

Ottolenghi - North African, with some Middle East influence. There are a few around London, with varying menus but the Islington one is good.

Sambol Shiak - good, quick cheap eats for laksa

Pig and Butcher - I echo what was said above. One of the best gastropubs in the area, along with Drapers Arms which has a nice beer garden on a sunny day

Smokehouse - have not tried but was considering it initially for this weekend. Then I saw the limited menu with 4 mains - a veg, a pasta, fish and pork loin. Could be good but too many other options in the area for my liking

On 3/31/2022 at 8:51 PM, WBT said:

Sounds legit at least

I've been to Plaquemine for work many times (and seen the lock)

375px-Plaquemine_Lock_State_Historic_Sit

Plaq Lock actually delivered. Went yesterday for the jazz brunch and had the gumbo. Wife had the eggs sardou. Much better than I expected, great cocktails, and a cool place overall. Will definitely do it again.

The lack of good pubs in Islington is a bit disappointing but it’s still a good day out.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, having a blast. Did tea Roast in Borough Market and it was amazing. If you do the Tower of London— make sure to do one of the Yeoman Warder tours that come with your ticket instead of waiting for an audio guide.

I am gotdamned spoiled though.  I live in Prague and while London is amazing— Prague is honestly better and cheaper. 

What neighborhood does everyone suggest?  Right now I am in Trafalgar Square at the Hilton (booked because HH is my primary) which looks really nice but the area looks touristy as fuck.   Last time I was there a few years ago I stayed more in the NE corner of SOHO which I understand has more nightlife.   I'll come into Kings Cross from Edinburgh.  I'll be spending a good amount of time going to and from N London and being near a major tube station would be a plus but at night I'd like to have some good pubs to drink pints in and the Trafalgar area looks fairly devoid of that but I may be wrong. 

Edited by midtown

4 hours ago, midtown said:

What neighborhood does everyone suggest?  Right now I am in Trafalgar Square at the Hilton (booked because HH is my primary) which looks really nice but the area looks touristy as fuck.   Last time I was there a few years ago I stayed more in the NE corner of SOHO which I understand has more nightlife.   I'll come into Kings Cross from Edinburgh.  I'll be spending a good amount of time going to and from N London and being near a major tube station would be a plus but at night I'd like to have some good pubs to drink pints in and the Trafalgar area looks fairly devoid of that but I may be wrong. 

It’s been my hood for years but I love Marylebone. Central to everything and plenty of tube stops. Fair amount of great pubs too, can give you recs if needed. Trafalgar, Soho, Covent Garden will all be touristy as fuck

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, midtown said:

My last three trips to London I stayed in Richmond, Islington, and King’s Cross.  Of all my trips, I really liked Knightsbridge the best. 

• Like 1

I’m going to update this with a rage story, maybe should be in LULZ but it’s about London.

The only damn thing my youngest daughter wanted to do in London was the London Eye. That happened to be one thing I didn’t want to do, because tickets are 30 pounds and you see all the same stuff just from up high.  But….we all got to pick something and her pick was the Eye. Over a hundred pounds all told for us. And the crowd and types of people at the Eye is….let’s say not the scene I usually go for on vacation. 

Anyway, before the Eye we had gone to the British Museum because my oldest likes Egyptian shit (and the British Museum is free, I even gave them the five pound donation).  To control souvenir whining, I had told both of them at the beginning of the trip “you can get a souvenir at the British Museum and nowhere else.”  Youngest chose a sticker book where you dress up kids from around the world.

Dear assholes, that little girl sat and played with the gotdamn sticker book the entire way around the Eye ride that me and her mom didn’t want to be on.  She peeked over the edge at the very top and said “my stickers are cooler.”  Internal rage, but I was sure as shit not gonna be angry dad on vacation haranguing my kid to have fun the right way. 

Anyway, the oldest ended up liking it and we got photos for grandma so not all is lost. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m going to update this with a rage story, maybe should be in LULZ but it’s about London.

The only damn thing my youngest daughter wanted to do in London was the London Eye. That happened to be one thing I didn’t want to do, because tickets are 30 pounds and you see all the same stuff just from up high.  But….we all got to pick something and her pick was the Eye. Over a hundred pounds all told for us. And the crowd and types of people at the Eye is….let’s say not the scene I usually go for on vacation. 

Anyway, before the Eye we had gone to the British Museum because my oldest likes Egyptian shit (and the British Museum is free, I even gave them the five pound donation).  To control souvenir whining, I had told both of them at the beginning of the trip “you can get a souvenir at the British Museum and nowhere else.”  Youngest chose a sticker book where you dress up kids from around the world.

Dear assholes, that little girl sat and played with the gotdamn sticker book the entire way around the Eye ride that me and her mom didn’t want to be on.  She peeked over the edge at the very top and said “my stickers are cooler.”  Internal rage, but I was sure as shit not gonna be angry dad on vacation haranguing my kid to have fun the right way. 

Anyway, the oldest ended up liking it and we got photos for grandma so not all is lost. 

You certainly picked a great time to visit. Weather has been unbelievable and things are buzzing like I haven’t seen in a few years. Amazing how the Brits (and me now) are drawn to the sunshine on a warm day. In my hood, the pubs on the high street are packed and lively but the ones off the beaten path are quiet and great to sneak away for a quiet pint. I’ve taken the mutt to Regents every day and it’s been great. Weather turns back to cloudy and cool next week but enjoying it for a few more days.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

You certainly picked a great time to visit. Weather has been unbelievable and things are buzzing like I haven’t seen in a few years. Amazing how the Brits (and me now) are drawn to the sunshine on a warm day. In my hood, the pubs on the high street are packed and lively but the ones off the beaten path are quiet and great to sneak away for a quiet pint. I’ve taken the mutt to Regents every day and it’s been great. Weather turns back to cloudy and cool next week but enjoying it for a few more days.

Oh yeah, it was amazing weather. This is my second time in London, I spent three weeks there in 2012 and made some side trips out of town.  

As I said upthread, this was a family thing to do the standard stuff.  Friday morning was absolutely perfect and we hung out in St. James Park and grabbed a spot to watch the Blues and Royals trot by.  Absolutely picture perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/14/2022 at 10:02 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Ok, having a blast. Did tea Roast in Borough Market and it was amazing. If you do the Tower of London— make sure to do one of the Yeoman Warder tours that come with your ticket instead of waiting for an audio guide.

I am gotdamned spoiled though.  I live in Prague and while London is amazing— Prague is honestly better and cheaper. 

I'll DM you some questions regarding prague soon. The wife and I are going there for sure and an another uknown-at-this-point city for our ten year anniversary. 

9 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

I'll DM you some questions regarding prague soon. The wife and I are going there for sure and an another uknown-at-this-point city for our ten year anniversary. 

Sure, happy to help. I suggest staying in the region instead of running all over the continent.  Was thinking of starting a Central Europe thread if there was any appetite for it. 

On 4/17/2022 at 10:13 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Oh yeah, it was amazing weather. This is my second time in London, I spent three weeks there in 2012 and made some side trips out of town.  

As I said upthread, this was a family thing to do the standard stuff.  Friday morning was absolutely perfect and we hung out in St. James Park and grabbed a spot to watch the Blues and Royals trot by.  Absolutely picture perfect.

When we were there pre-covid, on a nice afternoon we happened to be in 7 Dials.  The pub at the little mini square where the monument is was jam packed and the whole area was full of people drinking.  We got fairly wasted there and had a hell of a time.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:49 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

The only damn thing my youngest daughter wanted to do in London was the London Eye. That happened to be one thing I didn’t want to do, because tickets are 30 pounds and you see all the same stuff just from up high.  But….we all got to pick something and her pick was the Eye. Over a hundred pounds all told for us. [b]And the crowd and types of people at the Eye is….let’s say not the scene I usually go for on vacation.[/b] 

it's the people of walmart crowd.  i really don't like that area.  probably leads to my irrational hate of the aquarium right next to it.  funnily enough i was the one most vocal against going on the eye but ended up enjoying it the most, fear of heights and everything.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

it's the people of walmart crowd.  i really don't like that area.  probably leads to my irrational hate of the aquarium right next to it.  funnily enough i was the one most vocal against going on the eye but ended up enjoying it the most, fear of heights and everything.

I really like aquariums but gotdamn they are expensive and it’s my belief they operate as a cartel. That one in London is 30 pounds ( almost 40 bucks). The one in Corpus is 40 bucks. Same in Baltimore. Same in Georgia. Someone decided that it costs 40 dollars to see fish and that’s what it costs, like how DeBeers sets diamond prices. 

• Hook 'Em 1