London

G650

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

The boy leaves a week from Saturday for a year in London.  Will be living in the Spitalfields area (in the Chapter Spitalfields dorms).  So just north of Tower Bridge.  The one challenge is no food is included.  His studio has a little 2 burner cooktop and a oversized toaster oven.  He'll split between cooking in and eating out.  Any cheap eats suggestions are welcome.  

Sur(e)ly they have some equivelant to Totino’s party pizzas there.  

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Sur(e)ly they have some equivelant to Totino’s party pizzas there.  

He hasn't had the pleasure of melting the roof of his mouth on Stouffer's french bread pizza.  That is one lesson I never learned.  Must've done it a dozen times,

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, trying to figure out a food budget.  Thinking like $700/mo?

I’ve always found food to be pretty affordable in London if you avoid the fancy or hip restaurants. There are so many open markets around with dozens of food stalls where you can eat very cheaply.

Those type of UK dorms usually have a decent kitchen on every floor so he should be able to easily eat in for at least breakfast and lunch. Groceries seemed to be cheaper than in Austin. I would think that amount would probably work.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

The boy leaves a week from Saturday for a year in London.  Will be living in the Spitalfields area (in the Chapter Spitalfields dorms).  So just north of Tower Bridge.  The one challenge is no food is included.  His studio has a little 2 burner cooktop and a oversized toaster oven.  He'll split between cooking in and eating out.  Any cheap eats suggestions are welcome.  

Boom in canned 'comfort food' to see out recession | UK | News |  Express.co.uk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...

At the Connaught Bar at the moment.

Quick thoughts.  Chirishu is absolutely outstanding.  Amazing value for money.  Chef is lovely.

Brat is tasty.  Go with a group.  Want to go back and go for the Turbot.  

Cavita is outstanding. The bar program is good and the aguachili Rojo is *kiss* as is the pig's head tamal.  

We'll be in London for one night around 2 weeks from now -- after dropping the boy off in Glasgow, we're flying in and out of LHR on the Virgin direct flight to Austin.  Train up and back to Glasgow.  The day before we fly back, we'll take the train down, hit our hotel to drop our bags.  Then an early dinner at The Ivy, and we'll go see Wicked (never seen a show in London).  Now that the boy will be living in the UK for the next 4 years, hoping to spend more time there - some time in Scotland, some time in London, some time trotting around both Scotland and England, as we haven't seen much of the countryside.

I dig London.  World city, great energy.  My wife's okay on it -- it's a bit much for her.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We'll be in London for one night around 2 weeks from now -- after dropping the boy off in Glasgow, we're flying in and out of LHR on the Virgin direct flight to Austin.  Train up and back to Glasgow.  The day before we fly back, we'll take the train down, hit our hotel to drop our bags.  Then an early dinner at The Ivy, and we'll go see Wicked (never seen a show in London).  Now that the boy will be living in the UK for the next 4 years, hoping to spend more time there - some time in Scotland, some time in London, some time trotting around both Scotland and England, as we haven't seen much of the countryside.
I dig London.  World city, great energy.  My wife's okay on it -- it's a bit much for her.  

I’d be interested in hearing about how college at Glasgow compares to the US experience. My oldest is adamant about getting the eff out of here and ideally she wants to end up in London. She’s been looking at Glasgow and likes what she sees online.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I’d be interested in hearing about how college at Glasgow compares to the US experience. My oldest is adamant about getting the eff out of here and ideally she wants to end up in London. She’s been looking at Glasgow and likes what she sees online.

Send her over to crash on Brisket Jr.’s couch.  What could go wrong?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Will do.  Both kids have left the US for college.  The girl chose between Edinburgh and McGill in Montreal (picked McGill), and is now studying abroad in Lund, Sweden (to pick up the language).  The boy was looking at some schools here, but also several schools in the UK and in Amsterdam.  And grad school in Germany may be in play, if he can polish his German enough to be truly fluent.

I'll tell you this about Glasgow v. London: the cost of living is about 40% lower in Glasgow.  London ain't a cheap student town.  Glasgow still is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

London is the most walkable of the major cities.  When I studied there 20 years ago and had no money and he exchange rate was almost 2 dollars a pound, I walked from Fitzrovia to the Barbican area or the Strant for classes on a daily basis.  May have had a few pints on the way and on the way back each day which I saw as money better spent than on the tube.  My new job has a company meeting there in March 2023.  Can't wait.  It's the best city in the world imo.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

London is the most walkable of the major cities.  When I studied there 20 years ago and had no money and he exchange rate was almost 2 dollars a pound, I walked from Fitzrovia to the Barbican area or the Strant for classes on a daily basis.  May have had a few pints on the way and on the way back each day which I saw as money better spent than on the tube.  My new job has a company meeting there in March 2023.  Can't wait.  It's the best city in the world imo.

London is too 3 for sure, but I’d say it’s NYC, Paris, then London.  But they are 1a, 1b, and 1c.

• Fuck You 1

Suggest you find a pub. Then another pub. Pub again. 

I did that yesterday. started near Trafalgar Square, then Hyde park corner/Knightsbridge, intended to go to nothing hill, but instead saw dinosaurs at the natural history museum, tried to find a pub to watch the Grand Prix from somewhere in south Kensington, hiked across Chelsea then over to sloane square and ended up next to battersea power station before calling it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I did that yesterday. started near Trafalgar Square, then Hyde park corner/Knightsbridge, intended to go to nothing hill, but instead saw dinosaurs at the natural history museum, tried to find a pub to watch the Grand Prix from somewhere in south Kensington, hiked across Chelsea then over to sloane square and ended up next to battersea power station before calling it a day.

The best move in London is to just pick a direction and go. Your day will be filled with all kinds of cool shit without any planning effort.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 5:13 PM, Sbbruin said:

Brick Lane Bagel Bake is really close, yes? That was heaven for me. Fresh bagels (beigels) and salt beef (what we'd call corned) for less than $9 or much less expensive options like salmon, egg or tuna or nutella).

jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

Brick Lane Bagel Bake is really close, yes? That was heaven for me. Fresh bagels (beigels) and salt beef (what we'd call corned) for less than $9 or much less expensive options like salmon, egg or tuna or nutella).
jpeg

I walked past there today, the peculiar spelling caught my attention (beigels). they had a boiled brisket looking thing on the cutting board, not for me.

11 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

That’s corned beef.

I appreciate the guy posting to let me know he walked past it today though lol. As mentioned they have sandwich options besides beef. For cheap eats in London, Pret is certainly above most, but the friggin' beigel place is well above.

It's brined for at least a week, boiled, and served on a fresh, excellent bagel. Not as good as Katz's in NYC but still delicious.

Edited by Chopper

The best move in London is to just pick a direction and go. Your day will be filled with all kinds of cool shit without any planning effort.

This x100.

Richmond is on my list for the next trip.

What is the word on the area around Islington/Highbury? Looks like a lot of good pubs/walking up that way.

3 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

This x100.

What is the word on the area around Islington/Highbury? Looks like a lot of good pubs/walking up that way.

We stayed in Islington this past July. It’s a great neighborhood with a wide variety of restaurant and bar options.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, McCroskey said:

This x100.

I've stayed in Islington a few times.  Upper Street has something like 200 restaurants in a 2 mile stretch.  The nice areas of Islington are really nice, the other areas not so nice.  Chapel Market is dirty AF but there are several great restaurants tucked away in there, that don't look like much but are excellent (Terrace Turkish, Mangia Bene, Dehli Grill, Angel Curry Centre). If you stay in Angel, the Hilton there is cheap and really nice. It was just remodeled about 3 years ago.  If renting a flat, I'd stay on the east side of Upper Street. It's quiet with the chaos of Upper Street just a block or two away.  As for pubs, avoid all of them on Upper Street except for The York. It's really happening and looks like a hookup spot if you're single or looking for a third. Those pubs are all corporate owned and many have the exact same menu and beer selection.  Every pub out in the residential areas are solid...Island Queen, Narrowboat, Earl of Essex, Compton Arms, Myddleton Arms, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

If renting a flat, I'd stay on the east side of Upper Street. It's quiet with the chaos of Upper Street just a block or two away.  As for pubs, avoid all of them on Upper Street except for The York. It's really happening and looks like a hookup spot if you're single or looking for a third. Those pubs are all corporate owned and many have the exact same menu and beer selection.  Every pub out in the residential areas are solid...Island Queen, Narrowboat, Earl of Essex, Compton Arms, Myddleton Arms, etc.

We stayed at a place on Islington Park Street a block and a half from Upper Street and it was a perfect location. Easy walk to an underground stop, an awesome bakery, and plenty of restaurants/pubs/bars. 

Compton Arms was a great place for a beer; however, I was there on a Friday night and felt out of place as probably the oldest person in the place by a good 20 years. 

Other places to add to the list:

The Drapers Arms and Old Queens Head Pub were two other great places for a beer and some food. Little Bat for cocktails. If you’re in the area and missing an American dive bar, Slim Jim’s Liquor Store is the place to go. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 5:10 PM, Brisketexan said:

Unfortunately the only dining out we were able to do in London was fish & chips at a nearby pub - The Princess Victoria - after the wife’s accident.

057BA948-0165-4E89-80CD-BF9E3646C405.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

On 8/22/2022 at 6:13 PM, Sbbruin said:

that's doable but i'd figure closer to $1,000 a month so he doesn't have to pinch too much.  that's $33 a day.  that said there's a ton of cheap eats around spitalfields.  also brick lane is close by.  great area.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, McCroskey said:

This x100.

Richmond - if you didn't see them already you may want to check toward end of the ted lasso thread for some pics I took when I lived there about 15 years ago. Chez Lindsay was by far our favorite restaurant at the time and I looked it up recently and it's still going strong. French Breton. Buckwheat crepes and a fantastic seafood tower, esp if you get the premium version, if you're in to that sort of thing. The fish and chip places weren't a strong point at the time.

Richmond Hill park is great and the view of the Thames is famous from there. The ted lasso pub on Richmond Green is a tourist destination now. It was pretty shabby when I lived there. White Cross  near the old palace and the riverside is great. Also White Swan right by the Bridge to drink by the river is nice.

There's a pedestrian bridge that crosses the river to Twickenham where there's a small monument to the senior surviving commander of the Titanic. It's quaint and lovely. https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/memorial-plaque-for-c-h-lightoller-twickenham.html

Kew Gardens is nearby and it's one of the best gardens in the world.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, McCroskey said:

So which of you are still in London right now?  What's it like?

It’s London, people go on with their lives pretty quickly here. And there is always the pro vs anti monarchy and then those that don’t give a shit. 

But generally people seem to be sad about it but was expected. After Phillip passed, many expected her to get through the jubilee and then pass soon. She handled the role remarkably well and selflessly for 70 years and has been a consistent rock for the country. She will be missed, and I don’t think Charles can fill those shoes. William seems much more prepared.

All that being said, it’s just not a huge part of daily life here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm heading to London next month, we'll be there for 10 days. I've been several times but my last was 35 years ago. I don't need any rec's for food or attractions, really. Just some basic Euro travel tips. Dumb question amnesty, please.

Passports: I hear 2 schools of thought on this. Half of people say "Never carry your passport on you! If you get mugged or pickpocketed, you're screwed! Leave it safely at your hotel." The other half says "Always carry it! Your hotel room could get robbed!". I know some places like Italy require that you have in on you at all times but the UK doesn't. I was gonna carry it but I thought I'd ask. 

Money: I've read that the UK is pretty much "tap and pay" across the board, not much need for cash. But I thought I'd get some just in case. What's a good amount to have on hand? I've also read that the airport is a poor choice to get cash, as they charge higher rates. Should I go to a currency exchange place in town? (Are those still a thing like they were in 1985?)

The Tube:  When we would go to London in the stone age, we'd get a 3 day tube pass and it was great. Do we really need the tube with Uber and the like? For a longer day trip out of town, I'd def take a train. 

Out of Town stuff: Is there a day trip not too terribly far from London that's worth going to? Don't care about Stonehenge. I'm thinking Canterbury or Bath. I'd like to go to York but that might be a bit far.

Paris: We're going to take the Eurostar to Paris for a day. Any particular day that's better than others? I've been there before but again, it was a long time ago. Any places to avoid?

I always keep my passport in the hotel room safe. I don't think hotel robberies are common at all. Your more likely to be mugged than hạve your room broken into.

London is very tập and pay, including the tube. All my cards are wireless but if yours aren't get one.

You can also use cash. Atms are everywhere of course

4 hours ago, Sandman said:

I'm heading to London next month, we'll be there for 10 days. I've been several times but my last was 35 years ago. I don't need any rec's for food or attractions, really. Just some basic Euro travel tips. Dumb question amnesty, please.

Passports: I hear 2 schools of thought on this. Half of people say "Never carry your passport on you! If you get mugged or pickpocketed, you're screwed! Leave it safely at your hotel." The other half says "Always carry it! Your hotel room could get robbed!". I know some places like Italy require that you have in on you at all times but the UK doesn't. I was gonna carry it but I thought I'd ask. 

Money: I've read that the UK is pretty much "tap and pay" across the board, not much need for cash. But I thought I'd get some just in case. What's a good amount to have on hand? I've also read that the airport is a poor choice to get cash, as they charge higher rates. Should I go to a currency exchange place in town? (Are those still a thing like they were in 1985?)

The Tube:  When we would go to London in the stone age, we'd get a 3 day tube pass and it was great. Do we really need the tube with Uber and the like? For a longer day trip out of town, I'd def take a train. 

Out of Town stuff: Is there a day trip not too terribly far from London that's worth going to? Don't care about Stonehenge. I'm thinking Canterbury or Bath. I'd like to go to York but that might be a bit far.

Paris: We're going to take the Eurostar to Paris for a day. Any particular day that's better than others? I've been there before but again, it was a long time ago. Any places to avoid?

passport: never in a million years have i needed on a tourism context outside of points of travel

money: personal guideline is ~200usd equivalent.  easy enough to burn excess cash towards end of trip on dinners.  never use any fx place in town or at airport, just use the local established banks' ATMs

daytrip: bath is good.  could also go to cambridge and have a literal punt on the river cam.

• Like 1

For expenses, set up Apple Pay. Was in England, Scotland, Ireland for two weeks in July and every single place preferred Apple Pay. Especially useful in pubs for quick transaction.

Just make sure your associates card doesn’t charge a transaction fee. 

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

passport: never in a million years have i needed on a tourism context outside of points of travel

money: personal guideline is ~200usd equivalent.  easy enough to burn excess cash towards end of trip on dinners.  never use any fx place in town or at airport, just use the local established banks' ATMs

daytrip: bath is good.  could also go to cambridge and have a literal punt on the river cam.

I only bring my passport with me if I know I am going shopping and want to get the VAT return.  Certain places are cool with a photo of your passport, but some require the actual passport.  FYI, London had gotten rid of VAT refunds for tourists, but I have heard that with the new British tax package, they will restore VAT refunds for non British citizens.  The British luxury market had taken a massive hit.

Completely agree on ATMs.  ONLY use bank ATMs.  Be aware though, some ATMs do not accept certain VISA cards.  When I am overseas, I find my USAA card only works in about half of the ATMs.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

When I am overseas, I find my USAA card only works in about half of the ATMs.

Yes this drives me crazy! And there's no indication that it won't work. And USAA's security is challenging.  Their telephone hold times of late limit the desirability of calling them, esp when on international roam. I opened accounts at other banks, in part, to avoid those problems.

edit - the only time I've ever needed my passport was driving in a non-EU country when I got stopped by the police for a traffic violation. All other times I keep it in the hotel safe. In the old days I'd keep a paper copy in my wallet but these days I just keep a photo of it on my phone and in the cloud.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Chopper said:

Yes this drives me crazy! And there's no indication that it won't work. And USAA's security is challenging.  Their telephone hold times of late limit the desirability of calling them, esp when on international roam. I opened accounts at other banks, in part, to avoid those problems.

The problem is that USAA still has the cheapest fees of any bank I am aware of.  When I pull from an ATM with my USAA card, I am only charged 1% (and I get the ATM fee itself back).  Chase, however, charges be 2.5%.

• Hook 'Em 1

take a pic of your passport info page and leave it in the safe.  

canterbury is a good day trip.  bath is not.  there's a lot to see/do in bath that you won't fit in one day.  plus, bath is more of a go slow and experience the relaxed pace of life town.  if i might make a restaurant rec in bath:  sally lunn's.  make a reservation.

If your credit card ever sends security texts, make sure you update the phone number if you're using a UK SIM card and not your normal phone number or set it up to send an email instead if that's an option.  I never once had an issue except one time while there I had a large purchase and Capital One decided it looked fishy and sent a confirmation text to accept the charge. I couldn't get that text  since I didn't have my regular SIM card.  

Also, if you have an Apple Watch, set up one of your cards in your Wallet as a Transit card. That way you can use your watch to tap in and out of the Tube/bus while your watch is closed without opening the card.