London

G650

More on ATM withdrawals when traveling in Europe...WaPo has an article today about avoiding rip off exchange rates and ATM fees while traveling. Their first suggestion is to avoid using machines owned by a company called Euronet Worldwide, which has a massive operation and a reputation for giving dramatically lopsided exchange rates. They also discuss a couple of no-fee debit cards that may be worth exploring.

So how do you avoid high ATM charges? Preparation is key.

Call your bank before you leave the country to find out what kind of out-of-network ATM fees it charges for overseas transactions. Some banks waive the fees or will credit you after you return to the United States.

Michael Foguth, founder of Foguth Financial Group in Brighton, Mich., recommends calling your bank before your trip to order some currency of the country where you’re traveling. He says it may be less expensive, but not free. It requires an in-person visit, and your bank may also offer a less favorable exchange rate when you buy foreign currency.

There are workarounds once you’re on the ground. Mine was to head to a bank ATM, which may give you a better exchange rate. However, it’s not a perfect solution: Halfway through the transaction, the machine asked whether I wanted to conduct the transaction in dollars or euros. As with credit cards, it’s best to conduct transactions in the local currency and let your bank do the conversion.

Another fix: using a multicurrency debit card to reduce your exchange costs. The financial services app Revolut, for example, converts your money at the more favorable interbank rate. (That’s the rate banks charge each other to exchange money.)

For transactions at out-of-network ATMs, Revolut doesn’t charge a fee for withdrawals of up to $1,200 (or the local currency equivalent) per month. After that, it charges a 2 percent fee of the value of an ATM withdrawal.

Wise, another popular app, also uses the real rate and charges for exchanges on a sliding scale. It’ll cost about $4 to convert $1,000 to euros. For ATMs, there’s no charge for the first $250 in a month, and you pay a 2 percent fee for anything above that.

Andy Abramson, who runs a communications consultancy in Las Vegas, has used both services and says he prefers them to traditional bank transactions.

“I load them up with money and then use them when traveling,” Abramson said. “I can add money when needed in seconds and be spending locally in local currency without any fees.”

here's the full article, "gifted" with no paywall

Also, re USAA...interesting timing. From letter dated 10/27.

USAA is committed to keeping you informed about changes to your account. We’re writing to inform you of an upcoming change to our travel notification practices. Due to enhanced security measures implemented at USAA, effective immediately, you’ll no longer need to notify us of upcoming travel plans to avoid potential transaction disruptions. Please make sure your contact information is up to date so we can promptly let you know if we find unusual activity.

Important Information to Know There’s no need for you to update or contact us about upcoming travel notifications you’ve already entered. We’ll alert you if we detect potential suspicious or unusual activity on your debit card. We always recommend you monitor your account activity on a regular basis and take advantage of all the tools available to mitigate risks when checking your account on your desktop, smartphone or tablet. We value your membership and appreciate you choosing USAA for all your financial service needs.

I am headed back to London, leaving on November 26 and coming back on December 3.  

Last trip, I hit up Chishuru, Brat, Cavita, and 40 Maltby Street.  Also, had a few drinks at the Connaught Hotel Bar.

Chishuru is closing in its original location, but will be opening a new restaurant in 2023.

https://london.eater.com/2022/10/27/23426210/chishuru-restaurant-brixton-closing-adejoke-bakare

I would like to somehow score a reservation at KOL, but they are currently all booked up.  I will keep looking, and once my hotel is booked, might see if the concierge can get me a table.

Other places I am looking at include: Sessions Arts Club, Kiln, Gymkhana, Noble Rot, Maggie Jones's, Carousel, Ikoyi, The French House, St. John (It has been years!), Evelyn's Table, Camberwell Arms, and other places I might find..

Any suggestions from the Surly London Residents.

My in-laws (wife’s brother’s family) are spending the 2022-23 academic year in London.  We are visiting Thanksgiving week and will stay with them in Chiswick.  Between the two families, there are three 15-16 year old kids.  We arrive Monday morning and depart the following Sunday morning, so no Sunday roast.  Here is what my sister-in-law has put together for the week.  I welcome suggestions of restaurants and of anything glaringly missing.  Thanks.

Monday (flight lands 9:15am)

• Lunch at Fortnum and Mason

• Walk around Green Park, Buckingham Palace, St. James Park

• Churchill War Rooms

• Walk by Big Ben, Westminster Abbey

• Indian Dinner

Tuesday

• Burrough Market for lunch

• Tower of London, Tower Bridge

• Harrods, Shopping

• Back home (Chiswick)

• Dinner: Kids go to Nandos, we go somewhere else

Wednesday

• Buckingham Palace – Changing of the Guard 11am (also on Friday)

• Kew Gardens in evening (Christmas at Kew) – dinner in the garden

Thursday

• The Wallace Collection

• Walk Regent Street to see the lights, Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus

• High Tea – Corinthia Hotel 5pm (reservation made)

Friday

• British Museum

• Walk around Hyde Park, Kensington Palace

• Les Mis

Saturday

• Greenwich

Other ideas to slot in as time permits:

• Rules for dinner

• Victoria and Albert Museum

• Chiswick Garden

39 minutes ago, Tonesky said:

My in-laws (wife’s brother’s family) are spending the 2022-23 academic year in London.  We are visiting Thanksgiving week and will stay with them in Chiswick.  Between the two families, there are three 15-16 year old kids.  We arrive Monday morning and depart the following Sunday morning, so no Sunday roast.  Here is what my sister-in-law has put together for the week.  I welcome suggestions of restaurants and of anything glaringly missing.  Thanks.

Monday (flight lands 9:15am)

• Lunch at Fortnum and Mason

• Walk around Green Park, Buckingham Palace, St. James Park

• Churchill War Rooms

• Walk by Big Ben, Westminster Abbey

• Indian Dinner

Tuesday

• Burrough Market for lunch

• Tower of London, Tower Bridge

• Harrods, Shopping

• Back home (Chiswick)

• Dinner: Kids go to Nandos, we go somewhere else

Wednesday

• Buckingham Palace – Changing of the Guard 11am (also on Friday)

• Kew Gardens in evening (Christmas at Kew) – dinner in the garden

Thursday

• The Wallace Collection

• Walk Regent Street to see the lights, Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus

• High Tea – Corinthia Hotel 5pm (reservation made)

Friday

• British Museum

• Walk around Hyde Park, Kensington Palace

• Les Mis

Saturday

• Greenwich

Other ideas to slot in as time permits:

• Rules for dinner

• Victoria and Albert Museum

• Chiswick Garden

Nandos is awesome and I wish we had them in the US.  That being said, if you are staying at Chiswick, you must hit up the Harwood Arms in Fulham.  Michelin starred pub.  I have been a roast there and it was amazing.  I am, alas, not going to be able to make it the Sunday I am in London this time around, but maybe I can swing it for dinner or something.  It is tasty.

@Tonesky -- Going with Brat's boat suggestion... look online.

You can get combo passes that include the London Eye (recommend it ... you can see forever, and it's a 30 minute rotation that you can *schedule* to avoid the lines), that Thames boat ride from the Eye/Big Ben/Parliament pier down to the Tower Bridge/Tower of London, and sometimes combined with a day-pass for the double-decker on-off bus that makes the big loop around all of the major places in London.  It's really quite convenient.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Nandos is awesome and I wish we had them in the US.  That being said, if you are staying at Chiswick, you must hit up the Harwood Arms in Fulham.  Michelin starred pub.  I have been a roast there and it was amazing.  I am, alas, not going to be able to make it the Sunday I am in London this time around, but maybe I can swing it for dinner or something.  It is tasty.

There are Nandos in and around DC and Chicago.  And, two are soon to open in Houston, with a promise of more to come, including in Austin and Dallas.

2 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

You can get combo passes that include the London Eye (recommend it ... you can see forever, and it's a 30 minute rotation that you can *schedule* to avoid the lines), that Thames boat ride from the Eye/Big Ben/Parliament pier down to the Tower Bridge/Tower of London, and sometimes combined with a day-pass for the double-decker on-off bus that makes the big loop around all of the major places in London.  It's really quite convenient.

You can also just use the Uber Boat. Book the ride on your Uber App - it's cheaper than buying a ticket at the dock.  Highly recommended to travel to and from Greenwich.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

1 hour ago, MAROON said:

You can also just use the Uber Boat. Book the ride on your Uber App - it's cheaper than buying a ticket at the dock.  Highly recommended to travel to and from Greenwich.

We took the Thames Clipper to Greenwich.  Got a bottle of Prosecco.  Didn't finish it.  Finished it walking around the Old Royal Naval College.  Then sort of drunk (that was our 3rd bottle of the day), we climbed the hill.  Was a great afternoon that turned into a great night at the Lamb & Flag.  Lol.  Good times.  Hard to believe that was 6 years ago!

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, MAROON said:

While I've been to England twice since 2015, the last time I spent any time in London "proper" was 2015, so that's a new one to me!  I like it!

16 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

We took the Thames Clipper to Greenwich.  Got a bottle of Prosecco.  Didn't finish it.  Finished it walking around the Old Royal Naval College.  Then sort of drunk (that was our 3rd bottle of the day), we climbed the hill.  Was a great afternoon that turned into a great night at the Lamb & Flag.  Lol.  Good times.  Hard to believe that was 6 years ago!

caption.jpg?w=1200&h=-1&s=1

Probably same thing - now just Uber Boat by thames clipper.

On 11/2/2022 at 6:22 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That sounds like a perfect day.  Love the Lamb & Flag.

IMG_2211.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just realized that since the last time I was in London (I flew back on September 5th) there is a new Monarch and PM.  It has been less than 3 months.  

No real plans.  I arrive on Sunday, so will try and find a Sunday Roast.  Will also find places to watch the US play.  Going to Speedboat on Monday, then out with friends on Wednesday.  Keeping my options open this trip.

• 2 weeks later...

first older thread that came up with London and Paris search.  here's a mini trip report for Paris (4 nights) and London (4 nights) we just got back from over Thanksgiving break (wife+teen kids).  Lots of touristy stuff that wife and i have done before, but with the kids in tow, we were doing it all again.   Wife has been several times to London in the couple of years, but my first time in ~20 years; kiddos first time overseas.  took off Friday night on BA to LHR so we could try to get some sleep and be ready to go 9:30am on Sat.  Sprung for biz class and it was pretty nice.  even my 6'6" ass could stretch out when making the seat flat.  We were going straight away to the Eurostar for Paris.  Took a while to get to KC/San Pancras station from LHR as the Express train was not running (we found out later) due to strikes, so just rode the Piccadilly line all the way.    Got to hotel (https://www.sofitel-paris-baltimore.com/en/) around dusk.  view from room

image.png.199fa572d607094fe3690513782da88a.png

Pretty good location. Walking distance to the tower, Arc, Champs-Élysées etc...  Overall the weather was OK.  not much sun in Paris over the 4 days, but not too much rain either.  We hit up the Seine boat tour first night in.  got a little cold at the end but otherwise was fine.

Went to Eifel Tower, Sainte-Chapelle, Musée d'Orsay, Arc de Triomphe the next day - most of the time the kids were free to get into the places.  We got that Paris Museum Pass and it was well worth the money.  Nothing was too crowded ever but this saved us a lot of time already having a ticket and getting use the 'fast' lanes at stuff like the Sainte-Chapelle and Musée d'Orsay and just have one QR code to scan for everything.  I think it also had free tourist bus (double decker bus) that we used to get to some of the attractions

next day was Louvre first thing.  About a 2 minute wait to get in front of the Mona Lisa.  Kids really liked the Louvre.  We were there first thing and it was not crowded at all.  We just hit the highlights and stayed there for ~2 hours or so.  Then just walked around and hit a little xmas market nearby and then rode the bus around.  Then on to the Pantheon and daughter and wife went to the Parfum Museum while son and i just posted up in a cafe.  The Notre Dame crypts were closed for no reason we could find online so missed those.  There was a wine tasting included in the Paris pass so plowed through that prior to dinner that evening.  Not too exciting for the kids, but actually pretty good for 'free'.

3rd day breakfast at Les Deux Magots then to Versailles.  Again, kids really liked this one.  It was cold and rainy standing outside waiting for the doors to open, but that was worst weather we saw.  everyone was prepped for it, so no real complaining from anyone.  By the time we were through with the inside tour the weather was much nicer and we walked around the grounds for a few hours.  Had no idea how big the area was and we blundered over to the Petit Trianon and the kids ran around 'exploring' the grounds for quite some time.  We are no strangers to walking, but in hindsight we should have rented a golf cart.  Did not see the stand to get one until we walked all the way back up to Versailles proper.  Google maps showed we walked 7.5 miles that day.

image.png.5fa8f72655895e68fd0e4206c1ffe833.png

image.png.495a3ee4cf0fc2fa1e0a6a087d186342.png

- then after we got back to home base, we took a cab to Sacre Coeur and walked down from there to see the  Moulin Rouge area.  Walked past a bar/restaurant in the area that the pass said we could get free champagne and desserts so stopped in there for a quick pit stop. 

image.png.b59eb710a4765fa3bc39fcc250b620fc.png

Last day there we went to the Abbey of Saint-Germain and then walked down to the Rodin museum.  The outside gardens were deserted as there was a light sprinkle so it was nice to literally have them to ourselves.  Then back on the Eurostar to London

London we stayed at the San Pancras Renaissance.  Very cool place connected right to the San Pancras tube/train station. 

image.png.e7b4da4801e835ce51063b144a765487.png

Splurged for one of the Chamber Suites (Queen Victoria Suite) and it did not disappoint.  Overall seemed a very cool place and obviously walk out access to the tube/Eurostar

image.thumb.png.fb3f7065a32841fa108700797fb0de61.png

Really just ran in and dropped off our bags then made an orbit on the Eye.  Then just hung out at Trafalgar Sq

Next day early to Tower of London, then Tower Bridge, then afternoon tea at 1 Aldwych which was just a massive overload of sweets (Charlie and the Chocolate factory theme).  Next we just cruised the Uber boat ferry on the Thames for an hour or so until it stopped raining and walked around the Thames.  Again, the London Pass came in handy and provided a free day of Uber boat so we used it quite a bit that day. 

Next day started with Westminster Abbey, then Buckingham Palace and caught a little of the changing of the guard with a good doggo.

image.png.2d88cd5a402d3dc78a41e8d8cab0d7ae.png

Hopped on one of the tourist busses over to St. Paul's.  The kids wanted to climb to the top (512 steps) but we did not really want to.  Holy Shit were they adamant about not letting a 12 and 14 yo climb to the top by themselves as the lady at the base told us.  I eventually went with them but my daughter got a little ahead of me as some people who were resting in an alcove jumped in between us.  the lady at the penultimate stop told us no less than 3 times for the kids to always stay with me.  After the climb to the very top, she told us again as were all together on the way down.  Anyway the view was spectacular 

image.png.a7ad6d525eaa9b545fa46e4333df25cf.png

then stopped at pub, watched a little soccer and headed to the British Museum.  Free admission, but they had the Rosetta Stone paywalled behind an exclusive exhibition that needed another ticket.  36 quid later and we are all viewing it.  They had the knockoff version in another section but figured we are there and might as well see the real deal. 

after that, avoided any trouble with the USA-ENG draw and called it a night.

Next day was a cab out to Windsor Castle to pay our respects to the Queen. Then strolled around with the punks in Camden Town.  Very cool place, but what a mass of humanity.  Then back on the tube to Harrods for some souvenirs.  could only take ~45 mins in that place.  wow it was packed!  Then we went out to Shoreditch to just walk around and see all the trendy young people.  It was 9pm or so and we tried to find a place to eat with the kids, but with the WC matches going on, it was pretty much just bars and cocktail lounges.  The Circle line was down (strike) so we had walked a mile to get their from the next nearest stop.  Just took a cab back to Trafalgar Sq and found a place eat around there.  Trafalgar was our hangout each night as the kids lover roaming around climbing around the base of the pillar.

image.thumb.png.2d277b629af030fff915fb1bb9cd5f68.png

Had one more sleep and headed to LHR.  Overall the 'planned' strikes for the train/tubes did not affect us that much other than the Heathrow Express cancelled on our first Saturday.  We let the kids go on a short scavenger hunt by themselves using the tube just to see if they could do it and they did fine (it was not to St. Pauls, lol).  overall hell of a trip.  kudos to the wife for planning 99.9% of it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home after 10 days in London. I hadn't been since 1985, so it was almost like I had never been at all. The tube is just easy mode for getting around, loved it. My legs were fucked after the first 2-3 days of walking so much but I acclimated after that. Now it's just my left knee that feels like it's full of broken glass. Saw the normal tourist stuff, hit up a couple of christmas markets. Saw the Morocco fans storm the fountain at Piccadilly after making it to the knockout round. I can't imagine how wild it is right now as they've made the semis. Overall, a really good time.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

On 1/28/2023 at 3:00 PM, Sbbruin said:

Getting our rescheduled trip for early March booked.  Virgin Atlantic or American?  Same price, basically the same times.  

looking to stay in the Kensington area.  Food recs in the area?

My experience is mostly dated but giving your post a bump since you asked the q on Saturday. Would require a stroll through or around Hyde Park but Mayfair Chippy would be high on my list. Kensington is tough though...very pricey real estate and I don't like spending a lot on a meal. Not close to Kensington but hopefully Borough Market is high on your list for an informal lunch, though don't go on the weekend and avoid peak hours if possible.

Friends who just returned from London told me one of their favorites was a brand new Italian place in West Ken called Jacuzzi (lol at the name) but said to book in advance if possible. 

If you're staying in South Ken you'll probably want to take a look at the hip cafes in Soho. Also maybe hit up London's Chinatown, although I say that with a bit of trepidation to someone who lives in So. Cal, depending on your precise locale. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

My experience is mostly dated but giving your post a bump since you asked the q on Saturday. Would require a stroll through or around Hyde Park but Mayfair Chippy would be high on my list. Kensington is tough though...very pricey real estate and I don't like spending a lot on a meal. Not close to Kensington but hopefully Borough Market is high on your list for an informal lunch, though don't go on the weekend and avoid peak hours if possible.

Friends who just returned from London told me one of their favorites was a brand new Italian place in West Ken called Jacuzzi (lol at the name) but said to book in advance if possible. 

If you're staying in South Ken you'll probably want to take a look at the hip cafes in Soho. Also maybe hit up London's Chinatown, although I say that with a bit of trepidation to someone who lives in So. Cal, depending on your precise locale. 

I just heard about Jacuzzi.  Might be trying it.  :)

• Hook 'Em 1

• Navigation app: Citymapper (it will eat your battery alive)  Also if you walk around with your phone out it might get snatched.  But it'll get you around town like a champ.  I know some locals that use it on occasion
  • Buy a sim card ahead of time  $38  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RXYH2NW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Book a reservation for a Sunday Roast...
  • For "The Tube" We just used our Iphones to tap in and out.  The charge per day maxs out at 5.60 Pounds per day. (double check that)
  • Take the Tube (Piccadilly Line) from Heathrow not the train...  One is 5.6 the other is 26 and depending on where you are going the Tube might actually be faster. https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-pay/transport/
  • Frequent local pubs if you can find one that's not a chain (harder than it sounds).
  • British Museum is a must...  Not really anything British in it, but possession is 9/10ths of the law/finder keepers and all that.  Book a tour!
  • Leave the museum for lunch... this place was pretty good/cheap/localish https://www.saltandpepper.london/
  • Take the Yeoman warder tour at The Tower...  much better than just walking around
  • After the Tower, if it's nice out and if you want a break from the tourist and a coldish pint head up river St. Katherine's Wharf and The Dickens Inn.  Low key, just bar fare, and pretty area IMHO
  • If you are over by the Shard (which I don't at all recommend Sleazy tourist trap) and the weather is nice, the one corporate pub I like is "The George"  You'll be the only gringos there.  Rosemary chips 5/5  If the Brits can cook one thing its a potato.
  • If you are taking the TVG out of London, they aren't joking about checking in >30mins prior to departure...  Trust me
  • Be social and interact with the locals
  • Remember they put 1/3 of the world to the Sword only to collect spices they could never figure out how to use.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, locodos said:
  • For "The Tube" We just used our Iphones to tap in and out.  The charge per day maxs out at 5.60 Pounds per day. (double check that)

On both an Apple Watch and iPhone you can set one of your cards to be a "transit" card so that you don't even need to open Apple Pay for it to work. 

40 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

On both an Apple Watch and iPhone you can set one of your cards to be a "transit" card so that you don't even need to open Apple Pay for it to work. 

Yup just the readers are on the left so that makes the watch awkward for most.  Supposedly you can use the phone even if the battery is dead... but I wouldn't try it.

Or mess around with an Oyster card

23 hours ago, locodos said:
  • After the Tower, if it's nice out and if you want a break from the tourist and a coldish pint head up river St. Katherine's Wharf and The Dickens Inn.  Low key, just bar fare, and pretty area IMHO

Once there, make sure to get a pint of the special home-brewed Dickens Cider.  Ask for it by name!  

Edited by RamjetFDO
  • Haha 2

On 2/2/2023 at 10:49 AM, locodos said:

The boy’s school is right at St. Katherine’s Wharf.  Will give this a shot.

Another thumbs up for the Dickens Inn here.  Very nice place to hang out and goof off.  

A bit premature to get excited about, but we are booked for the holidays.  High-rollin' in First Class from DFW to LHR on Thanksgiving Day.  Three week stay at a flat in Wapping on the Thames.  Gonna soak up the Christmas season, see some shows, and...I dunno yet.  But...we're booked!  Woohoo!

• Hook 'Em 2

we just booked our Air BnB.  Just SW of Kensington Gardens and NE of Earls Court.  Looks like a cool old school flat that has been very nicely updated.  But of a haul from Spitalfield for the boy, but he’ll stay with us at least half the nights.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

I have a trip upcoming traveling through Southern England for 9 days.  Trip begins and ends in London.  Lookin for some neighborhood advice for AirBnB?  Heading out to Chelmsford one night and watching a West Ham game in London Stadium another afternoon.  Outside of that I will probably be interested in checking out some WWII sites and randomly walking the city to see what I find with plenty of pub stops built in.  Doubt I will do any of the major tourist items.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

What’s the tipping protocol in England?

I differ from the previous rec. The "service charge" (edit - if there is one) doesn't necessarily go to the server. Ask the server is the best advice imo. If it doesn't go to the server leave about 10%.  I generally leave spare change with the bartender and taxi driver, as well. 

Edited by Chopper

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Just had the best (and most expensive) Indian food I’ve had anywhere- Gymkhana located in Mayfair.  Best lamb chops I’ve ever eaten.  Everything spot on.  Not able to eat a lot currently but ate as much as I could.

Nice. Post up if you find some good Chinese. We are staying in Kensington Gardens in May and my girlfriend has never had anything above the level of Panda Express.

2 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Nice. Post up if you find some good Chinese. We are staying in Kensington Gardens in May and my girlfriend has never had anything above the level of Panda Express.

We’re staying in Kensington as well.  We were going to do Chinese 2 nights ago but both my kids are like your girlfriend.  What I have noticed is most Chinese seems to be Szechuan (or Sichuan here).  My kids are very much Mandarin focused.  

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

We’re staying in Kensington as well.  We were going to do Chinese 2 nights ago but both my kids are like your girlfriend.  What I have noticed is most Chinese seems to be Szechuan (or Sichuan here).  My kids are very much Mandarin focused.  

No sweet and sour pork with egg roll? Damn, I guess it'll be fish and chips for the duration.