London

G650

17 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Definitely. $300 is probably more realistic. Although sometimes deals can be had through an airlines “vacation” portal when you book air/hotel together. I think the cheapest for London that I’ve seen so far was $6600 with r/t in J. 

Edit: As a note, airfare on it's own seems to be about $6400 right now, give or take. So that's pretty much getting a hotel for next to nothing. Although it goes up from there pretty quick into the $7k plus range. On a second trip, not sure I want to fork that much over to stick around London an extra week since I'll be there in August for 9 days already. A few days (3 or 4 nights) should suffice.

I just got back from London this past weekend. May want to consider corus hotel hyde park. Reasonably priced, centrally located, across from Hyde park, and located within walking distance to several traditional pubs. Breakfast was huge but drinks were expensive. Get ready for the smaller rooms but we upgraded. Cheers!

Thanks! I'll give it a look.

I guess my biggest thing is figuring out how long to stick around London. I'll be there this summer for a week, so it really isn't something that has to be absolutely a big part of the trip. Other than a night or two, I could probably skip it without missing out on too much. Of course I'll be in the Manchester area this summer as well, but only 2 days. So if London was only say, 3 days, then it wouldn't be much of a bother for a couple nights that were a little higher than the rest of the trip.

Plenty of time to get it sorted I guess. Shit, I've still got some details to work out for my trip this summer. Mainly rail tickets and such, since those can only be had 3 months in advance. The rest of it is sorted though. All the hotels, internal flight from Ireland to Scotland, Eurostar tickets are booked, etc. Still need to figure out the Paris metro/RER stuff. I thought I read somewhere about getting ticket books from the bar on the Eurostar for pretty reasonable. Maybe do that instead of a ride card. Would be nice if they had a contactless system like London's Tube.

It will probably come together a little better once some of the bigger pieces are in place. Although still going to need to be there the 18th at the very least, but would like to have a couple days to wander the Christmas markets and such.

The only downside to airbnb is arranging to meet with the owner to get in to the apartment or house.  Often it's later in the day so you have to kill some time waiting after you arrive.  Other than that issue, it is great.

Edited by kevwun

For a reasonably priced hotel, you may want to think creatively.  A number of pubs still have rooms above them.  The Culpeper on Commercial Street in Whitechapel is an example.  You're above a pub, so it might be noisy in the evenings if you want to have your window open.  But in December, that's not going to be an issue.  It's £120/night, and breakfast is included.  Perhaps best of all--it's about a block from the East Aldgate tube station.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

For a reasonably priced hotel, you may want to think creatively.  A number of pubs still have rooms above them.  The Culpeper on Commercial Street in Whitechapel is an example.  You're above a pub, so it might be noisy in the evenings if you want to have your window open.  But in December, that's not going to be an issue.  It's £120/night, and breakfast is included.  Perhaps best of all--it's about a block from the East Aldgate tube station.

This is actually a really good suggestion, that I totally forgot about. There used to be rooms in most pubs, now it's not quite as common, but still a good few.

That's part of the appeal, from where I sit.  It's kind of a "every hotel has a bar, but this bar has a hotel" kind of deal.

Here's a good Telegraph review of the place.  It is somewhat unique from the standpoint of location and recent renovation, but there are plenty of other pubs in London that offer rooms upstairs.

Personally, for London this would be my #1 pick.

• Like 1

one of life's simple pleasures is a good shave.  I suggest you take your face and a couple days of beard growth to Geo Trumper on Duke of York street for a proper shave and hot towels.  You need to make an appointment.  They also have a Mayfair shop, but I've only been to the Duke of York location.  Assume both are excellent.

https://www.trumpers.com/contact.cfm

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

And definitely go to a Premier League match. You’ll have the most fun in the visitors section.

It might be the only way to get tickets, but if the result goes wrong for the home side, then you get pinned up, possibly held for 30 minutes until the home crowd has fully exited, and then herded to the tube.  Would definitely not recommend an away section for a first-timer.  This is not the NFL.  More like Veterans Stadium 300 seats in the late 70s.  The wrong colors get you hurt.

Also we had another london thread last week.

http://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/1041-recommendations-in-london-paris/&tab=comments#comment-46553

I didn't see it mentioned but London's West End theatre district is always a good choice. The first time I took the wife there she so impressed it turned normal vacation sexy time into when we first met sexy time.

1 minute ago, RiceOwl said:

Going to be there Thursday-Monday... Staying in Kensington. Does anyone have any specific restaurant recommendations in that area?

Get the Royale with cheese at the Mickey D's in Kensington square.  Ask for extra vinegar for your chips (French fries for the homies).

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2018 at 10:22 AM, RiceOwl said:

Going to be there Thursday-Monday... Staying in Kensington. Does anyone have any specific restaurant recommendations in that area?

Me too, if you mosey over to Mayfair let me know.

Are you staying on Cromwell Rd, or up towards Notting Hill?

17 minutes ago, G650 said:

Me too, if you mosey over to Mayfair let me know.

Are you staying on Cromwell Rd, or up towards Notting Hill?

Will do... Not exactly sure of my exact plans right now but I will PM once I arrive. At Hotel Xenia on Cromwell Rd across from the big Marriott.

1 hour ago, RiceOwl said:

Will do... Not exactly sure of my exact plans right now but I will PM once I arrive. At Hotel Xenia on Cromwell Rd across from the big Marriott.

I used to live on Cornwall Gardens back in the day, so I've stayed in the area a few times for nostalgia recently. There's nothing that I would go out of my way for in the area. Plenty of cheap eats around, including Nando's across the way from the Gloucester tube. 

If you want something a bit different with a theme, great cocktails and good food, try out Evans and Peel: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d3477816-Reviews-Evans_Peel_Detective_Agency-London_England.html

It's a fun evening and about a 10 minute walk. Get the smoked cheesecake. You'll need a reservation, which means that you have to makeup a case file for the "interview" to get in.

Did the tourist trap Fortnum & Mason my last business and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. The Coronation Chicken sandwiches + the clotted cream/biscuits/jam are worth the price of admission. (As is the rabbit confeit)

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

It might be the only way to get tickets, but if the result goes wrong for the home side, then you get pinned up, possibly held for 30 minutes until the home crowd has fully exited, and then herded to the tube.  Would definitely not recommend an away section for a first-timer.  This is not the NFL.  More like Veterans Stadium 300 seats in the late 70s.  The wrong colors get you hurt.
Also we had another london thread last week.
http://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/1041-recommendations-in-london-paris/&tab=comments#comment-46553

I went to an away game (Watford), my team (Arsenal) thumped them, and it was a great time. Zero harassment and I had wife and kid with me. We weren’t held up when leaving.

Wish I had seen this thread a few weeks ago.  Spent 3 nights in London in late March...stayed at the Marriott Park Lane.  Great hotel and visited several good pubs in the immediate area but feel like we missed out on some really good places.

Edited by McCroskey

On 4/18/2018 at 11:10 AM, RiceOwl said:

Have fun in London town.  I've stayed at the Radisson Vanderbilt- on Cromwell, across from Gloucester Rd. station.  I like the area.

Been a few years, but, if you like Indian food- had a nice curry at Memories of India, just up Gloucester Rd. (probably a bit touristy, but, it hit the spot).

20 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Wish I had seen this thread a few weeks ago.  Spent 3 nights in London in late March...stayed at the Marriott Park Lane.  Great hotel and visited several good pubs in the immediate area but feel like we missed out on some really good places.

You picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

-Typed from nose of BA 744.

Just got back yesterday. Had a great time.

7896e5569fa469a0302c7975b665bfb5.jpg
Venison Scotch egg at the Harwood Arms.

ffc43ba0d52bb3589ee1d4132133f7de.jpg
Sunday roast also at Harwood. The Yorkshire pudding had a meat and gravy surprise in the bottom of them that was fantastic.

f6b30405f562c97633bb074a68dfe96b.jpg
Cheese and charcuterie plate we had at a cheese shop in Bath. Guy working the counter was super nice and informative. He let us try 4 or 5 cheeses before he put the plate together.

0ad9eca2ce7decbdf22b289bb65d2c7b.jpg
Steak pie at The Blackbird. This pub has great good. Might have been the best meal of the trip.

4ed9de428b3d78252c222a4c5de57c72.jpg
Breakfast at The Wolsey. Really cool grand cafe with good food.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Every meal we had was good.

• Like 1

I tried brown sauce at a fish and chips place we went to.  It was not the Heinz brand and I was not a fan of it.  Maybe that version is better.  Also The Eagle is a damn good pub that was close to our apartment.  Good food also.  There is an Austrian place near by called Kipferl that is also worth going to.  I think they are a small chain.

19 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

London rocks ... no doubt, but to *really* experience England, you need to get out of London.

The Cotswolds is where it's at.

Eh, I love the Cotswolds as much as anyone, but this is incorrect. London IS England. Everything else is just scenery. Not that there aren't great places. Berwick upon Tweed is one of the neatest spots on the planet, Cambridge is great, lots of other spots.  But England is so incredibly London-centric it can't be overstated. Which pissed off the hillbillies enough to vote for Brexit, but it is what is is.

It's like saying to really experience America, you need to go to Kansas. You could make the argument that is the case, but fuck if I want to go there.

• Like 1

Circulated the usual haunts all weekend, did stumble into a place I haven't frequented, the Iron Duke behind Claridges. I never stay there, way too upper middle, but our driver works for Maybourne, who own's Claridge's, Connaught and the Berkeley, and tipped us off it was a good spot when the weather turns nice. Quite liked it.

Also, the weather was like 80 degrees this weekend. WTF.