London

G650

• 4 weeks later...

I’m looking forward to Hyde Park myself. :D

Still haven’t made a call on hotel though. Might end up at Hilton Tower Bridge, or Bankside. Have a res at the IC O2, but that’s pretty far out when no other reason to stay there. Thinking about IC Park Lane, but since they removed club access from the exec king room, I dunno if I want to fork over $2500 for 4 nights. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at a long weekend in London in February to go to a concert.  Direct flights are fucking outrageous for a shitty weather month. For 2, $5000+ for economy on BA and even Norwegian was $3,000.

Hacking the flight schedule, I came up with this itinerary for $1050 per head:

Outbound:

AUS>JFK 8:00AM - 12:31PM Delta

JFK>LGW 7:40PM - 7:10AM Norwegian

Return:

LGW>JFK 9:50AM - 1:00PM Norwegian

JFK>AUS 6:15PM - 9:39PM Delta

I've never flown into JFK or Gatwick. Did I leave enough time for potential security clusterfucks in either location?

That's typically sufficient time.  But on an intnl schedule, not having protection from a single itinerary... theres gonna be fuckery abound. 

Not sure if you're looking at immediate turnaround (with minimal stay duration), but theres no way you shouldnt be able to get <1k/person for February in economy

Just now, 52-80 said:

That's typically sufficient time.  But on an intnl schedule, not having protection from a single itinerary... theres gonna be fuckery abound. 

Not sure if you're looking at immediate turnaround (with minimal stay duration), but theres no way you shouldnt be able to get <1k/person for February in economy

Thanks.

I just started looking and was surprised at the prices for February. I'll keep looking.

I would keep watching.  BA has good deals from Austin to London very regularly.  Also sign up for emails from escapeatx.com.  They let you know about crazy deals flying out of Austin.  If your dates are flexible, you should be able to get a ticket for under a thousand without much trouble.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Looking at a long weekend in London in February to go to a concert.  Direct flights are fucking outrageous for a shitty weather month. For 2, $5000+ for economy on BA and even Norwegian was $3,000.

Hacking the flight schedule, I came up with this itinerary for $1050 per head:

Outbound:

AUS>JFK 8:00AM - 12:31PM Delta

JFK>LGW 7:40PM - 7:10AM Norwegian

Return:

LGW>JFK 9:50AM - 1:00PM Norwegian

JFK>AUS 6:15PM - 9:39PM Delta

I've never flown into JFK or Gatwick. Did I leave enough time for potential security clusterfucks in either location?

We've never flown direct, and the times that it's been a tight schedule the airlines have done everything they could, even holding up flights to make sure you get across the pond.  For a $3,500 difference in cost I'd roll those dice...

• 1 month later...
Staying at the Hilton in Islington. Mainly because we have Arsenal tickets for the night we arrive and it's a mile from the stadium. 

What is the best way to get from Heathrow to the hotel? Tube? Car service? Hitchhiking?

I’m always a fan of trains to/from LHR unless there are some mitigating circumstances (ex. super early flight and I don’t want to worry about anything and just Uber).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texanbychoice said:

I’m always a fan of trains to/from LHR unless there are some mitigating circumstances (ex. super early flight and I don’t want to worry about anything and just Uber).

This.  I would take the Heathrow Express into Paddington.  From there, you can cab to Islington.  The tube is going to be a pain in the ass from Paddingon to Angel station (your nearest) with multiple transfers.  Doubt you want to do that with luggage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This.  I would take the Heathrow Express into Paddington.  From there, you can cab to Islington.  The tube is going to be a pain in the ass from Paddingon to Angel station (your nearest) with multiple transfers.  Doubt you want to do that with luggage.

This.

The real question is how much luggage you will have. You for sure don't want a ton of transfers, but if you have a carry on and a backpack, it's different than if you had 2 checked bags, a carry on, a backpack and a shoulder bag.

If luggage is light, you might be alright. If not, then take the express to Pad and then grab a cab or uber. The end cost will be in the same ballpark, but the time saved over just getting a car from the airport is a big plus.

You can do your trip with one change, and take the Piccadilly line to Kings Cross, then catch Northern a stop over to Angel. The difference on that would be time, but there are some positives to it as well.

You could also take Pic to Kings Cross, then uber/cab to your hotel. Kings Cross would be fine with luggage (just did this with a carry on, checked, and 2 backpacks), but I can't say for Angel and luggage as I haven't been through that one.

On 12/27/2018 at 4:37 PM, Telegraph_it said:

If y’all were to do a 20 hour layover in London what would you do?

Thinking brick lane for Indian and then some nice restaurant for late dinner. Looking at flying into London City airport the day before our flight back to IAH. Probably staying at Marriott County Hall because of points.  

Well, I usually go see my tailor on those brief layovers, but that obviously isn't on your radar.

I'd walk over to Shepherd Market if I wear you, nice easy self contained spot for drinks and eating. Le Boudin Blanc is a nice dinner option, among others. Some more interesting spots too, like L'Autre.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just got back yesterday. It was my first time in London and I loved it.  Took the cheap seats on British Airways. On the way there it sucked due to not being able to fall asleep. It may have been due the cabin being hot AF rather than the lack of a decent recline. Coming back it was perfectly fine since it was during the day and I just watched 5 movies.

Stayed in Islington at the Hilton off Upper Street. It was pretty new (or remodeled) and a solid choice. Only $140/night and in the middle of everything in the neighborhood.  Upper Street was apparently party central for that neighborhood.  There were hundreds of places to eat and dozens of pubs within a 10 minute walk of the hotel. I didn't find it particularly expensive. Granted, we prefer dives and Mrs Brown absolutely detests fancy restaurants. Most meals were from ethnic counter service spots and all were well under 15 pounds.  Kebab Central, Pasha, Delhi Grill were all great. Pasha was a nice table service restaurant and it was still like 13 pounds each.  The kofti wrap from KC included 2 large skewers of meat...probably 3/4 pound total and it was under 5 pounds.  Hit various pubs including The York, Nags Head, Camden Head, Queens Head, and a couple of others I can't remember.  The Arsenal match at Emirates was awesome. I recommend a soccer match even if you're not a fan. It's a great atmosphere.   The tube is great and easy to navigate which was handy because we had to reroute on the fly due to the line we needed to use being shut down because someone got ran over by a train.  Don't use it if you have mobility problems. Every tube station has a ton of walking, stairs, and escalators.  Older stations didn't appear to have an elevator option.  Did one day at the touristy stuff - Westminster, etc.  It was all great to see but I have no desire again. The crowds are crazy.  The Imperial War Museum is flat out amazing.  There's more crazy WW1 shit there than you shake a stick at.  Met the wife of an Texas soldier stationed over there who brought his F250 over and was pissed the roads and parking weren't built for his truck. 

The locals we talked to were all really nice and polite.  No one pays attention to crosswalk signals. At all.  Italians are the worst people on earth.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2018 at 10:54 PM, McCroskey said:

Spent tonight booking a trip back to London next spring with our youngest two kids, enjoying catching up on this thread.  Bath definitely on the list this next go around, plan to be in London for at least 5 full days instead of the 2 when I went with my oldest a few months ago.

Fucking love this city, man. 

Trip now is in less than 3 weeks.  Kids are beyond excited.  Was hoping to hit up Harwood Arms for Sunday roast but I'll be goddamned if the reservations weren't completely booked a month in advance.  Upgraded our hotel and staying in Mayfair again (at least on the edge of it), so will find something good in that area I'm sure.  Do plan on spending the entire weekend going through markets and just enjoying ourselves.  Glad we will have a full week in the city minus some time in Bath and a trip up to Warwick Castle.

Edited by McCroskey
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 10:45 AM, CooterBrown said:

Just got back yesterday. It was my first time in London and I loved it.  Took the cheap seats on British Airways. On the way there it sucked due to not being able to fall asleep. It may have been due the cabin being hot AF rather than the lack of a decent recline. Coming back it was perfectly fine since it was during the day and I just watched 5 movies.

Stayed in Islington at the Hilton off Upper Street. It was pretty new (or remodeled) and a solid choice. Only $140/night and in the middle of everything in the neighborhood.  Upper Street was apparently party central for that neighborhood.  There were hundreds of places to eat and dozens of pubs within a 10 minute walk of the hotel. I didn't find it particularly expensive. Granted, we prefer dives and Mrs Brown absolutely detests fancy restaurants. Most meals were from ethnic counter service spots and all were well under 15 pounds.  Kebab Central, Pasha, Delhi Grill were all great. Pasha was a nice table service restaurant and it was still like 13 pounds each.  The kofti wrap from KC included 2 large skewers of meat...probably 3/4 pound total and it was under 5 pounds.  Hit various pubs including The York, Nags Head, Camden Head, Queens Head, and a couple of others I can't remember.  The Arsenal match at Emirates was awesome. I recommend a soccer match even if you're not a fan. It's a great atmosphere.   The tube is great and easy to navigate which was handy because we had to reroute on the fly due to the line we needed to use being shut down because someone got ran over by a train.  Don't use it if you have mobility problems. Every tube station has a ton of walking, stairs, and escalators.  Older stations didn't appear to have an elevator option.  Did one day at the touristy stuff - Westminster, etc.  It was all great to see but I have no desire again. The crowds are crazy.  The Imperial War Museum is flat out amazing.  There's more crazy WW1 shit there than you shake a stick at.  Met the wife of an Texas soldier stationed over there who brought his F250 over and was pissed the roads and parking weren't built for his truck. 

The locals we talked to were all really nice and polite.  No one pays attention to crosswalk signals. At all.  Italians are the worst people on earth.

KC and Pasha are really good.  you were within 100 yards of our place.  did you try ottolenghi?  one of the more recommended tourist places but i've never liked it.  always thought it interesting to see everyone's reactions.  i should've said this earlier, but pret a manger has the best oatmeal.  

11 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

KC and Pasha are really good.  you were within 100 yards of our place.  did you try ottolenghi?  one of the more recommended tourist places but i've never liked it.  always thought it interesting to see everyone's reactions.  i should've said this earlier, but pret a manger has the best oatmeal.  

We did not. It looks like a place that would piss off Mrs Brown. Her favorite meal was Piebury Corner where everything was covered in gravy followed by getting drunk on cider at a random pub.  We generally slept too late for breakfast but the one time we got up early, we went to The Breakfast Club which was perfectly fine. It was pretty much a British Kerbey Lane. 

Edited by CooterBrown

17 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Marriott Park Lane, over at Marble Arch.  They have great family suites.

Very nice. That's solidly Mayfair in my book anyway. Easy walking to plenty of good spots for food and pints. The Barley Mow over on Duke is very close and good for a pint, and the Audley on Mount St not far either. I'd grab a meal at the Footman if you get a chance too.

18 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Marriott Park Lane, over at Marble Arch.  They have great family suites.

Let me know how it is. I've stayed at the Hilton Park Lane, The Dorchester and The May Fair. All decent, but I'd like to try something else next time and am hopping aboard the Marriott points train.

4 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Let me know how it is. I've stayed at the Hilton Park Lane, The Dorchester and The May Fair. All decent, but I'd like to try something else next time and am hopping aboard the Marriott points train.

I've stayed at this property before (granted for only 2 nights) and absolutely loved it.   Location was really convenient to a lot of things, staff was great, and the executive lounge was excellent too.  When I initially looked at booking here last summer I for whatever reason thought I wanted to try something else since I was bringing the younger kids this time but I changed my mind a few weeks ago and got what I think is a fantastic redemption option at this hotel.

300k points for 6 nights, plus a $1200GPB cash upgrade for the family suite.  The cash value if I just paid USD for the suite itself would have been over $8600 total for the 6 nights we are there, at least at current rates.  The way I figure, I'm getting over $7,000 of value for 300k points which is well over double what I would typically think is an acceptable redemption rate.  I usually try to peg Marriott points at a little less than a dollar per point.

I’m going to Croatia in July - but through dumb luck managed to get a day pass to Wimbledon. So I will now be taking a 2 day stop in London to go to Wimbledon before heading to Croatia. I realize I’m not worthy of this trip.

Never been to London. All I know about the area is due to soccer or movies, so I need a lot of help. Mainly I’m looking for suggestions for an area to stay in that’s located somewhere in a reasonble location to Heathrow, Wimbledon, and touristy crap in London that I’ll check off on my non-tournament day.

I imagine the area near Wimbledon will be pricey during the tournament. I don’t want to have to take too long of a train ride to get to the tournament and too long of a train ride to the airport. Earl’s Court was suggested on Tripadvisor but wanted to know of any other neighborhood suggestions. 

I’m going to Croatia in July - but through dumb luck managed to get a day pass to Wimbledon. So I will now be taking a 2 day stop in London to go to Wimbledon before heading to Croatia. I realize I’m not worthy of this trip.
Never been to London. All I know about the area is due to soccer or movies, so I need a lot of help. Mainly I’m looking for suggestions for an area to stay in that’s located somewhere in a reasonble location to Heathrow, Wimbledon, and touristy crap in London that I’ll check off on my non-tournament day.
I imagine the area near Wimbledon will be pricey during the tournament. I don’t want to have to take too long of a train ride to get to the tournament and too long of a train ride to the airport. Earl’s Court was suggested on Tripadvisor but wanted to know of any other neighborhood suggestions. 

I imagine trains are slammed during the tournament but I’m not sure what easier options there are than jumping on at Waterloo or perhaps another centrally located station and making the 20 min train ride to Wimbledon.

As far as transfers to/from LHR, I’m taking the Heathrow Express to/from Paddington Station for the first time next week. 15 min travel time and the tix were really cheap since we purchased so far in advance. Beats paying $100 and the hour it takes in a cab IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk