London

G650

20 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

For what you're looking for, you might want a place in the Paddington area--that's going to be right there at the station for the Heathrow Express, and Paddington is on the District Line, which takes you down to Wimbledon.

This is good advice.

If you want to put some extra effort into getting back and forth you could stay in Earls Ct or Chelsea and have a better area to stroll around in. Or just go to Mayfair/St. James.

18 hours ago, kevwun said:

Yeah if you are staying anywhere close to Paddington it's awesome.

Or anywhere in London really.. I just took the Express then walked about 6 blocks south to Lancaster Gate and few stops to Tottenham Court Rd

1 hour ago, G650 said:

This is good advice.

If you want to put some extra effort into getting back and forth you could stay in Earls Ct or Chelsea and have a better area to stroll around in. Or just go to Mayfair/St. James.

Or Marylebone/Notting Hill.  Paddington is right between these neighborhoods, which are both fantastic, although I do prefer Marylebone.

I’m in the Kensington area for the next 2 nights. Looking for dinner recs. 

Going to hit up Wassouf Lounge tonight unless there are objections.  Also saw a steakhouse called toro something  

also could use recs for touristy things for tomorrow.  I think we are doing a Globe tour in the morning.  

Specifically we are at the Hilton Olympia. Would like to eat fairly close by, but no problem bussing to sightsee. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

There's an awesome pub across from Earl's Court station that has great steak pies.  It's called The Blackbird.  We stayed north of you above Portobello Market, so all of the other neighborhood type places I know about are a little far from you.  What have you seen so far?

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Going to hit up Wassouf Lounge tonight unless there are objections.  Also saw a steakhouse called toro something  

also could use recs for touristy things for tomorrow.  I think we are doing a Globe tour in the morning.  

Specifically we are at the Hilton Olympia. Would like to eat fairly close by, but no problem bussing to sightsee. 

In Kensington & Chelsea? I don't know...Nando's near Gloucester Rd. tube? Not a whole lot of great places near you.

I always recommend Evans & Peele for drinks, though I hear the food is edible.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn good day today....landed at LHR at 8:50am and made it through customs in approximately 15 mins. Couldn’t believe our luck on the timing.

Heathrow Express and a taxi got us to the hotel in a flash and the room was even ready, although my God there was an unbelievably large Brexit protest today right in this Hyde Park/Marble Arch Area. Had to have been 250k people around easy.

Fortunately, made it over to a pub I like called Crown & Anchor for a fish & chips lunch.

Jugged Hare on tap for lunch tomorrow thanks to some recs on here, will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Damn good day today....landed at LHR at 8:50am and made it through customs in approximately 15 mins. Couldn’t believe our luck on the timing.

Heathrow Express and a taxi got us to the hotel in a flash and the room was even ready, although my God there was an unbelievably large Brexit protest today right in this Hyde Park/Marble Arch Area. Had to have been 250k people around easy.

Fortunately, made it over to a pub I like called Crown & Anchor for a fish & chips lunch.

Jugged Hare on tap for lunch tomorrow thanks to some recs on here, will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope you enjoy the Jugged Hare. They have 40 day Longhorn as their roast (or they did in 2016). It was outstanding.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2019 at 9:18 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Did you end up finding anything good in Kensington? I have a hotel in that neighborhood for next Sat & Sun. Saw a few pubs in the vicinity that looked decent. 

Been to London before so I don't need to go see Big Ben & Parliament, but interested in any activities or events either in that area or a tube ride away. 

Not really. There was an argentine steak place and a Lebanese place that looked promising, but the wife nixed both. 

I walked into a little pub near Freddie Mercury’s house and had a decent burger. Place had a traditional pub menu as well as Indian, as the owner/chef’s name was khan. 

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Did you end up finding anything good in Kensington? I have a hotel in that neighborhood for next Sat & Sun. Saw a few pubs in the vicinity that looked decent. 

Been to London before so I don't need to go see Big Ben & Parliament, but interested in any activities or events either in that area or a tube ride away. 

It's a big area so not sure where you are exactly, but The Eagle was a good spot when we were there.  It's a popular neighborhood spot and also has solid food.  There's also a really good pizzeria run by an Italian family called Pizza East nearby on Portobello Rd.

If you are ever near Earl's Court station, go to The Blackbird.  They have great meat pies.

Edited by kevwun

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mycox said:

Does anyone know if Google Pay works on the tube with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card? I have heard conflicting stories. I don't want to bother with an oyster card.

I used Apple Pay on the buses. I don’t remember if google pay logo was there or not, but most people seemed to be using a phone and Apple isn’t that ubiquitous. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, mycox said:

Does anyone know if Google Pay works on the tube with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card? I have heard conflicting stories. I don't want to bother with an oyster card.

Just have Chase send you a card that works in case

Ask Chase for a contactless card? Do they offer that in the US? We are always behind the times.
Google Pay will work if Apple Pay works. I think it depends on the bank.
Yes...i have a contactless amex and I'm pretty sure chase offers it for a few of their premium cards.

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm Google pay and Apple pay  will work on the trains. Just use your phone and no need to get an oyster card. There is a cap on the oyster and they will no longer charge you for the day. I don't know what the cap is.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 5:08 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Not really. There was an argentine steak place and a Lebanese place that looked promising, but the wife nixed both. 

I walked into a little pub near Freddie Mercury’s house and had a decent burger. Place had a traditional pub menu as well as Indian, as the owner/chef’s name was khan. 

tenor.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"This is a Piccadilly Line train to Cockfosters" will never not make me giggle.

We had Sunday roast at Blacklock in Shoreditch and cannot recommend it highly enough.  We did the all-in-one with pork, lamb, and rump roast, and all were outstanding.  The Madeira-reduction gravy, though, was a standout.

For Lebanese, we went to Noura right next to the Saudi embassy and had a really good meal.  I think they also have an outlet down in Victoria.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Paging @Doug E. Fresh to the white courtesy phone.  

I would also be interested in this as I am probably heading in for a work trip in March or so.  Not that I think I will have time to do anything, but I am going to fly in the weekend before and then stay over the weekend after to see friends.

Happy to help. Fortunately London restaurants have generally survived the pandemic well, although it has been difficult. There have been a couple of big closures at the high end of the dining scene, notably The Ledbury (my fav in London), The Greenhouse and Bar Boulud. One thing I have really noticed is that London has become much more casual. Some of that was already happening, but the pandemic has taken it to a new level. All the restaurants below can be done with relatively casual dress. I went to Restaurant Gordon Ramsay over the summer and wore a suit, as I have always done, and felt over dressed.

But, lots of new places have popped up and are surviving and some even thriving. Here are some of the key ones:

Core by Clare Smyth (Notting Hill) - I think this is hands down the best place in London now. Nearly impossible to get a table but if you get on a waiting list or check open table, you might snag a spot.

Kol (Marylebone) - This place is really cool. Santiago Lastra is doing a Mexican tasting menu sourced from only local ingredients. And he is doing it really well. There is also a great Mezcaleria in the basement that is good for drinks and snacks. London and the UK are finally discovering good tequila and mezcal. When I first lived here 10 years ago, Cuervo Gold was generally the ceiling.

Frog by Adam Handling (Covent Garden) - did the tasting menu here before Christmas and it really impressed. Cool vibe, great food and just on the edge of Covent Garden.

Osteria Romana (Knightsbridge) - this little Italian gem was something we discovered after a night out at the V&A. Really great Roman cuisine, reasonably priced and a good local haunt.

Louie (Soho) - now this place really delivered, went there last weekend for dinner. It is a former chef from Brennans (NOLA) that opened up a restaurant in the old L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon space on West Street. It is definitely worth a look, but don't expect a Brennans menu. There is a classic French twist to it (Paris Society group backs it) and the food is not as rich/heavy.

Carousel (Fitzrovia, formerly Marylebone) - they have rotating chefs that come through for a few weeks at a time. It is usually someone about to open a new place in London or a solid guest chef

Kingly Court (off Carnaby Street) - tons of great casual restaurants here and a fun place to eat and drink. I would recommend Imad's Syrian Kitchen, Korean Dinner Party or Dishoom

Two Texas themed places I am dying to check out are Sonora Taqueria (Hackney) and Texas Joe's (South Bank), just haven't made the trek over there yet. Other than that, just let me know what area you are staying in and what you like to eat. Will do my best to recommend, although the areas I know best are Marylebone/Fitzrovia/Mayfair and to a lesser extent Soho and Covent Garden.

Edited by Doug E. Fresh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Happy to help. Fortunately London restaurants have generally survived the pandemic well, although it has been difficult. There have been a couple of big closures at the high end of the dining scene, notably The Ledbury (my fav in London), The Greenhouse and Bar Boulud. One thing I have really noticed is that London has become much more casual. Some of that was already happening, but the pandemic has taken it to a new level. All the restaurants below can be done with relatively casual dress. I went to Restaurant Gordon Ramsay over the summer and wore a suit, as I have always done, and felt over dressed.

But, lots of new places have popped up and are surviving and some even thriving. Here are some of the key ones:

Core by Clare Smyth (Notting Hill) - I think this is hands down the best place in London now. Nearly impossible to get a table but if you get on a waiting list or check open table, you might snag a spot.

Kol (Marylebone) - This place is really cool. Santiago Lastra is doing a Mexican tasting menu sourced from only local ingredients. And he is doing it really well. There is also a great Mezcaleria in the basement that is good for drinks and snacks. London and the UK are finally discovering good tequila and mezcal. When I first lived here 10 years ago, Cuervo Gold was generally the ceiling.

Frog by Adam Handling (Covent Garden) - did the tasting menu here before Christmas and it really impressed. Cool vibe, great food and just on the edge of Covent Garden.

Osteria Romana (Knightsbridge) - this little Italian gem was something we discovered after a night out at the V&A. Really great Roman cuisine, reasonably priced and a good local haunt.

Louie (Soho) - now this place really delivered, went there last weekend for dinner. It is a former chef from Brennans (NOLA) that opened up a restaurant in the old L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon space on West Street. It is definitely worth a look, but don't expect a Brennans menu. There is a classic French twist to it (Paris Society group backs it) and the food is not as rich/heavy.

Carousel (Fitzrovia, formerly Marylebone) - they have rotating chefs that come through for a few weeks at a time. It is usually someone about to open a new place in London or a solid guest chef

Kingly Court (off Carnaby Street) - tons of great casual restaurants here and a fun place to eat and drink. I would recommend Imad's Syrian Kitchen, Korean Dinner Party or Dishoom

Two Texas themed places I am dying to check out are Sonora Taqueria (Hackney) and Texas Joe's (South Bank), just haven't made the trek over there yet. Other than that, just let me know what area you are staying in and what you like to eat. Will do my best to recommend, although the areas I know best are Marylebone/Fitzrovia/Mayfair and to a lesser extent Soho and Covent Garden.

Wow, the Ledbury closed?  Shit.  I had no idea.

4 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I heard Simpson's In The Strand closed for good during the pandemic as well. Is that also true? We were headed to London last month (ended up changing the trip up so it didn't matter ultimately) and were planning the trip in early November. My wife looked into getting a reservation and said it had closed permanently and it's still not really clear on the Internet whether that's the case or not. Anyway, it was a super old traditional place that her family loved and we'd been to many times when visiting, so sad deal if true.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I heard Simpson's In The Strand closed for good during the pandemic as well. Is that also true? We were headed to London last month (ended up changing the trip up so it didn't matter ultimately) and were planning the trip in early November. My wife looked into getting a reservation and said it had closed permanently and it's still not really clear on the Internet whether that's the case or not. Anyway, it was a super old traditional place that her family loved and we'd been to many times when visiting, so sad deal if true.

I’ve heard it will reopen this year but nothing official yet.

• Hook 'Em 1