Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

4 hours ago, Fozzz said:

If I were the Night King I would erect a circumvallation around Winterfell and lay siege to their asses for as long as necessary.  The fact that the Night King is not doing this makes me question him as a strategist.  

How proud I am of you.  My father, you understand.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Three feet high and rising.

You know, we haven't seen any strategy from the NK other than your run-of-the-mill army of the dead just run and kill everything full frontal attacks. Hardhome and Fist of the First Men were surprise attacks, so there's that, but Winterfell isn't. He may not be a gifted military mind after all. And the other white walkers may or may not have any initiative, like a bunch of cold wispy Grouchy's to the NK's Napoleon.

His stupid wildling ass probably doesn't even know what a pincer move is. 

Given that we as viewers know the number and lengths of the remaining episodes, it seems highly unlikely the NK outright wins the war in episode 3. If the humans in the north are completely defeated, that would leave us 3 episodes and 4 hours of sitting around waiting for the NK to fight Cersei, which would be quite boring. There wouldn't be much to fill that time.

From an entertainment and storytelling standpoint, the only plausible outcomes are A) The North conclusively defeats the NK and the army of the dead or B) the battle results in heavy casualties to both sides, but each side continues to exist in some capacity.

13 hours ago, Hozz said:

So I think Arya/Dany/Jon/Hound for sure survive Ep 3.  I think Theon is 100% a goner.  Not super confident in any other predictions but I think one of Brienne or Jaime dies and likely Beric (probably saving the Hound).

I am going to be really bummed when this show ends.

Brienne got knighted. She is super dead.

• Like 1

I don't think they kill off any primary characters (Dany, Snow, Tyrion, Jaime, etc.), but I bet a lot of the secondary characters (Pod, Brienne, giant titty sucker, etc.).  The most important character I could see them killing off is Theon - probably dying to save Sansa or some lame ass shit like that.

15 hours ago, futureman said:

I think what the show is trying to tell us is that all people have good in them.  all people have a chance to turn things around and do the right thing.  cersei will surely show us that she, too, can find love and compassion underneath her hardened facade.  look at jamie, look at theon.  those two were as evil and despised as anyone in the show at early points in the narrative and now they have won our hearts through their estimable acts.  even the night king is gentle and nurturing with craster’s little baby bastards.  there’s a heart somewhere deep inside that cold dead exterior.  maybe we get to see it before it’s all said and done.  I’m holding out hope for a happy ending to all this mess. 

Image result for You gif

Caught up to the end of season 5 and a few eps into 6:

I called it, sort of. Jon Snow got whacked, just not by the kid but by everyone. Based on some accidental spoilage, I see he is alive later on. The Red Witch's doing I assume?

Stannis story line-- what a huge fucking load of fail. So far the Stannis character has (had unless he comes back) the most potential but the worst character arc of the series.

Finally see where the "Walk of Shame" gif comes from.

Mercifully the Jamie and Bronn's Adventures in Dorne story line comes to an end. Idiotic all the way around. "You want the good girl but need the good pussy" was lietally lol bad.

I'm to the point of fast forwarding throuh the Aria's Adventures in Bravos scenes. Please please mult-faced God, let her die sonn.

40 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

You’ve powered through the worst stretch of the show.  Season 5 outside of the 15 minute battle in Hardhome was bad.  I thought most of Season 6 was quite good, though.

Good to know.

And I much preferred the Battle of the Wall. Battle of Hardhome was a little too CGI/WWZ ish.

51 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Stannis story line-- what a huge fucking load of fail. So far the Stannis character has (had unless he comes back) the most potential but the worst character arc of the series. good pussy" was lietally lol bad.

Just plain stupid story-telling. Either that or bad acting. Perhaps if they'd really shown how much she controlled Stanis, but we never saw that. Maybe they should have given more time to Melisandra's evil plans...

Feeding his army with their horses - stuck in the snow - burning his daughter.

I remember thinking that maybe Brienne  just chopped off his bad leg and that he'd surprise us later - because they never showed her actually chopping his head off. If ever beheading deserved to be shown on TV, it was Stannis's.

19 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I don't like how the whole NK battle is likely going to end abruptly as the NK dies fighting someone like John Snow. They have said a few times that killing him will kill his army. That just feels too Easy to finish the fight of the decade.

Like throwing a ring in lava easy?

The situation with the Golden Company sort of annoys me. Most of the Lannister army was destroyed in season 7 so Cersei just buys another one from Essos. They make it seem like there's an Amazon Prime for ordering armies. It kinda takes away the consequences of a devastating battle if the survivors can replenish seemingly overnight. 

Euron is a similar situation with his Iron Fleet. He was down to nothing but now he magically has the biggest fleet in the world because...the writers said so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

The situation with the Golden Company sort of annoys me. Most of the Lannister army was destroyed in season 7 so Cersei just buys another one from Essos. They make it seem like there's an Amazon Prime for ordering armies. It kinda takes away the consequences of a devastating battle if the survivors can replenish seemingly overnight. 

Euron is a similar situation with his Iron Fleet. He was down to nothing but now he magically has the biggest fleet in the world because...the writers said so.

Euron's Iron Fleet makes zero sense. 

First he showed up as a legendary pirate with a single ship - the Silence.

Then he's elected king and Yara steals the Iron Fleet. Euron says they'll rebuild, but there are no trees visible in the Iron Islands so how he plans to do that is anyone's guess.

Next he shows up with a huge fleet and destroys Yara's fleet - which was the original Iron Fleet - formerly one of the largest in Westeros.

And it's unclear what happens to the fleet from the Reach. Some of the ships Daenarys sailed from Essos had the livery of the Reach fleet and she was allied with Olenna and Dorne so maybe the Reach fleet was also destroyed at the same time the Iron Fleet was?

Anyhow, the fleet from the Reach was every bit the equal of the Iron Fleet.

So Euron maybe destroyed the two greatest fleets in Westeros with a fleet he cobbled together with the scraps Yara left.

I'm really excited heading into this weekend's episode based off of everything I've been reading here. The single biggest thing I can't wait to see is Danaerys Targaryan's legendary and forthcoming "heel turn", in which the rumor is that at some point she leaps from the upper ledge of Winterfell and drops an elbow into the back of an unwitting Sansa. Apparently from there, I expect her to grab a peasant's chair and smash it over the back of Jon Snow, dropping him like a hot iron. Then, as Sansa tags in Tyrion, who she's apparently going to remarry and start fucking, Dany will then dropkick Tyrion and finish him off with a figure four leglock as the crowd jeers her on.

Should be some amazing fucking tv. Surprised it's not being put on pay per view.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm really excited heading into this weekend's episode based off of everything I've been reading here. The single biggest thing I can't wait to see is Danaerys Targaryan's legendary and forthcoming "heel turn", in which the rumor is that at some point she leaps from the upper ledge of Winterfell and drops an elbow into the back of an unwitting Sansa. Apparently from there, I expect her to grab a peasant's chair and smash it over the back of Jon Snow, dropping him like a hot iron. Then, as Sansa tags in Tyrion, who she's apparently going to remarry and start fucking, Dany will then dropkick Tyrion and finish him off with a figure four leglock as the crowd jeers her on.

Should be some amazing fucking tv. Surprised it's not being put on pay per view.

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

And iron born can also build ships super fast. Probably picked up a crew at home depot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, seven said:

While we are talking about unrealistic crap, what was up with hatching centuries old dragon eggs in a funeral pyre? I don't buy it 

Apparently, in a world of maesters and witches and warlocks and wizards, no one in history ever thought about heating them up. 

Edited by lateshow

22 minutes ago, seven said:

While we are talking about unrealistic crap, what was up with hatching centuries old dragon eggs in a funeral pyre? I don't buy it 

(Maybe it takes more than just heating them up. Maybe a Targaryen's sacrifice is required.)

That dragon hatch is genius. It captures the mysticism and magic of Westeros (or their world, whatever). And when was the last movie with good dragon FX? Never.

Interesting that not much is being said about the dragons. Will the ice dragon freeze people in their tracks? One fire dragon must survive this season. Will they fight each other? Probably. I see that as BS FX. I'd rather see Jon or someone have to take on the ice dragon, mano a mano. In a crypt maybe.

How bout this: Jon is cornered. The dragon is going right on top of him. It opens its jaws to crush him. His only escape is to crawl down its gullet. Slicing, dicing ensue. The dragon dies. John emerges from its belly covered in frost.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread