Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

4 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Euron's Iron Fleet makes zero sense. 

First he showed up as a legendary pirate with a single ship - the Silence.

Then he's elected king and Yara steals the Iron Fleet. Euron says they'll rebuild, but there are no trees visible in the Iron Islands so how he plans to do that is anyone's guess.

once you assume this world exists, and in it you might find the undead, dragons, warlocks of qarth, whatever - you've already made a logic jump that most are willing to take to enjoy a show like this.  but (as you stated) the biggest storytelling flaw throughout the series is how they handle "time".

you can build hundreds of ships if you have enough time, but it happened basically overnight.  someone with a better recollection than me can probably demonstrate how it took dany 6 seasons to make her way across to westeros, but others seem to go back and forth like it's nothing.  considering that "winter is coming" and "the army of the north is marching south" and other plotlines that rely on time to play out, it's been very inconsistent when it suits the writers and the story.  sometimes it's to support something insignificant, like a raven's message or varys (or whomever) going back and forth someplace, but in several cases, it's key to the overall plot (the ships).

i'm willing to give a little latitude in showing stories that have overlapping timelines, since we in tv-land are forced to bounce back and forth only able to watch one story thread at a time, but this has been far more egregious.

i'm quite sure someone has made a youtube video about this very subject.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm really excited heading into this weekend's episode based off of everything I've been reading here. The single biggest thing I can't wait to see is Danaerys Targaryan's legendary and forthcoming "heel turn", in which the rumor is that at some point she leaps from the upper ledge of Winterfell and drops an elbow into the back of an unwitting Sansa. Apparently from there, I expect her to grab a peasant's chair and smash it over the back of Jon Snow, dropping him like a hot iron. Then, as Sansa tags in Tyrion, who she's apparently going to remarry and start fucking, Dany will then dropkick Tyrion and finish him off with a figure four leglock as the crowd jeers her on.

Should be some amazing fucking tv. Surprised it's not being put on pay per view.

I was always more fond of the sleeper hold

8 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

(Maybe it takes more than just heating them up. Maybe a Targaryen's sacrifice is required.)

That dragon hatch is genius. It captures the mysticism and magic of Westeros (or their world, whatever). And when was the last movie with good dragon FX? Never.

Interesting that not much is being said about the dragons. Will the ice dragon freeze people in their tracks? One fire dragon must survive this season. Will they fight each other? Probably. I see that as BS FX. I'd rather see Jon or someone have to take on the ice dragon, mano a mano. In a crypt maybe.

How bout this: Jon is cornered. The dragon is going right on top of him. It opens its jaws to crush him. His only escape is to crawl down its gullet. Slicing, dicing ensue. The dragon dies. John emerges from its belly covered in frost.

Pretty sure the ice dragon still breathes regular fire. I mean, he melted the wall. It would have been pretty funny if the night king dude had the dragon hit the wall, but the dragon breathed ice and just made the wall bigger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How bout this: Jon is cornered. The dragon is going right on top of him. It opens its jaws to crush him. His only escape is to crawl down its gullet. Slicing, dicing ensue. The dragon dies. John emerges from its belly covered in frost.
. And when he comes out, Kit is replace by actor Ian Ziering.

27 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Pretty sure the ice dragon still breathes regular fire. I mean, he melted the wall. It would have been pretty funny if the night king dude had the dragon hit the wall, but the dragon breathed ice and just made the wall bigger.

Did it melt, or just sort of blow up?  I think maybe it’s just a death ray now.  

Has anybody tried to calculate the thermal energy it would take to melt a wall that size? We know how long the dragon spat fire at it because it's on film. We can estimate how big the wall is. I'm assuming some nerdy engineer here has some tables or something on the structural properties of ice. So it ought to be possible to roughly calculate how hot the flames would have to be to bring the wall down, right?

2 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Has anybody tried to calculate the thermal energy it would take to melt a wall that size? We know how long the dragon spat fire at it because it's on film. We can estimate how big the wall is. I'm assuming some nerdy engineer here has some tables or something on the structural properties of ice. So it ought to be possible to roughly calculate how hot the flames would have to be to bring the wall down, right?

It takes 333.55 kJ to change 1 kg of ice at 32F to 1 kg of water at 32F. 

12 hours ago, bob in houston said:

disco missle this is your final warning.

This thread is about the TV show. There is another thread if you want to talk about the fucking other shit that was not on the show.

I don't know what you're referencing, unless it was the comments about Weiss and Benioff getting sloppy over the last few seasons. And that's pretty self-evident.

7 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

my guesses of the characters who die tonight:

theon greyjoy

jorah mormont

gendry baratheon

davos seaworth

the hound

beric dondarrion

podrick

missandei

gilly

jaime lannister

Agree with most of these, but I think the Hound, Jamie, and Missandei survive.  Instead, Brienne, Grey Worm, and Tormund bite the dust.

I also think dany kills Jon, kind of like Barnes did to Elias in Platoon.

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread