Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

There has been a pretty bright line drawn between the good side and the bad side throughout the series.  Lannisters vs. Starks.   Individuals and some families have moved back and forth across that line, but that line hasn’t really moved.  Good has lost a lot in this series because good is dumb.  Just because good has taken it in the shorts over and over again in this series doesn’t mean that having them finally win the big one is a betrayal of the overall tone and theme of the series.

It isn't that "good finally won"; good has won plenty throughout this series- Arya has gotten sweet revenge on almost everyone who has wronged her; Khaleesi has had some of the most epic and fulfilling scenes of the series, eg when she traded one of her dragons for an army, only to have said dragon murder the dude she "sold" him to; Arya cut Littlefinger's throat and stabbed Maryn Trant's eyeballs out before doing the same to him. "Good" has gotten a whole bunch of W's along the way. That's not what it's about.

It's the fact that almost everyone defending Winterfell was completely overwhelmed and killed without much of a fight, except for, you know, the 8 or 9 main characters, all of whom were in impossible situations at one time or another, but came out on top simply because they're "the good guys", and that's how formulaic TV shows work. Which, unfortunately, this show has become. It definitely gives the finger to the formula that made this show great. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

What if it went like...everybody important fighting at winterfell dies except Arya who finally kills night king. Everyone in the crypt is safe, no bullshit in there. 

Dragons disappear because Dani is dead. 

Tyrion and Sansa occupy Cersei somehow or another while Arya sneaks into KL using faces and kills Cersei, then is killed by mountain. Verys helps.

Tyrion takes the throne with Sansa. 

Last shot is the dragon or dragons flying by themselves. 

The only deus ex machina is arya’s Faceless man abilities, but those have been established over many seasons. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

On 5/10/2019 at 4:56 PM, Sbbruin said:

I'm getting to the point where I am going to stop reading this thread.  The bitching and whining about the deteriorating quality of season 8 is starting to grind my gears.  I still very much enjoy this show.  Coming here is starting to compromise my enjoyment.  Maybe I'll check back in after it's over.

fuck off cunt

I'm calling my shot:

After defeating Cersei, North people say "Fuck you Dany, Jon is our king". She gets pissy, and there is almost a battle between her Unsullied, Dothraki, and dragon vs  the Northmen. She orders her dragon to burn Jon, but the dragon refuses, since the Dragon Knows. In a poignant moment, she realizes she is turning into her father, she calls off her troops, and leaves Westoros to rule Slaver's Bay.

Jon reluctantly takes the Iron Throne, Jaime, Brienne, Hound, and Arya are his kingsguard. Sansa is the warden in the north, and marries Tormund.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 5:06 PM, elguapo said:

There is some really top notch acting on this show. Some that have stood out to me are Theon (Alfie Allen), Cersei (Lena Headey), Jamie (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), Qyburn (Anton Lesser), the Hound (Rory McCann), and Mellisandre (Carice van Houten because reasons).

Dude who played Tywin was on point.

The acting, many individual scenes, the sets and costumes are fantastic. Since we're almost done anyway, that is enough to overcome the horrible horrible writing.

The worst thing about the writing (at least one of the worst) is Tyrion's character has turned into a whiny ass, annoying caricature of what he was in season's 1-4.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:37 AM, Neonmoon said:

For 7 seasons Dany has said she wants to be a ruler of the people. To save people from tyrants and such. Her people are everyone. She freed slaves and then stayed around to make sure they stayed free. She freed the Unsully from their tyrant. She asked them to follow her. She didn’t demand it. She believes her destiny is to sit on the iron Throne, yes, but also to free the people from the Tyrant who currently sits upon it. 

So that question is her ultimate question and her decision will be the conclusion of her character. What was this really about? Getting the crown or helping the people? 

So kind of big deal. 

Hmm...I wonder if we’ll ever know

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I’m not really sold on Dany becoming a baddy. This feels lame. 

Not sold?

The massive insecurity...

Turning on her closest advisers...

Blatant murder and destruction after victory is at hand...

Holy fuck, it's not gonna get much cheaper than that for you to buy.

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I’m not really sold on Dany becoming a baddy. This feels lame. 

Was she ever really a goody?  She's sold everyone on that with her words, but she's always had a ruthless streak.  She wants the Iron Throne at any cost.

And the fact that Jon is entitled to it by birthright and still doesn't want it is exactly why it's got to be his.  He was a reluctant king even when chosen in the North.  The fact that he doesn't want power is what makes him wield it well.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

Hound and Arya couldn't have been written better.  Arya probably wanted everybody to die in Kings Landing and for the walls to crumble at the time her dad was being beheaded.  But Jamie making the long walk up despite being stabbed twice is utter bullshit.  

• Like 1

Just now, McCroskey said:

My only complaint is that in the last episodes the scorpions were unstoppable and in this episode they were the opposite.

But beyond that I loved the episode.

I do wish Cersei had gone out with a knife to her throat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LonghornSean said:

Somewhat predictable but thought the execution of the episode was excellent, save a few flaws, such as the Hound surviving hit after hit from the Mountain when we've seen the Mountain crush skulls without blinking an eye.

Was the Mountain surviving all that crap because of the magic they used to bring him back from the dead or near death?   

1 minute ago, McCroskey said:

My only complaint is that in the last episodes the scorpions were unstoppable and in this episode they were the opposite.

they couldn't maneuver with any speed and change directions like a large lizard.  I don't know why they didn't blanket the sky like they did in the past episode.  

Just now, McCroskey said:

It’s probably a weak explanation but Rhaegal never saw them.  When Drogib saw them he could dodge them.  

I really liked the episode but am a little annoyed at the number of Dothraki and Unsullied still left, especially in previews for next week.  

1 minute ago, McCroskey said:

Well, they were a surprise attack last time. This time she was prepared and used different tactics.

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread