Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

I'm fine with Tyiron living, since the only reason he's shackled is because he committed 'treason" against a dead tyrant who wasn't ever really a monarch of Westeros anyway.
But definitely think Jon Snow should have been the one nominating Bran, if we're forced to endure the kingsmoot plotline.  Or better yet, Jon just drops the mic and walks away to the North and lets the 7 kingdoms sort themselves out.  His Watch is done and everyone else can GF themselves.
What's really frustrating is that most of the ideas floated here over the past 2 months would have been better and more consistent with the first 5-6 seasons of the show than what we ended up with.  And we're just a bunch of assholes on an internet message board.

He shouldve been tossed to the wolves from the top steps. That would've made the last episode somewhat salvageable

20 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

This guy:

SEI_68448418.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zo

The new prince of Dorne was one of the guys at the council meeting.  

For me, the whole thing just highlights how incongruous the council ending was with a show that was, above all, about the complex political struggles in the seven kingdoms.   Each region had its own identity and motivations, and those things propelled much of the drama throughout the series.  Tywin went to some lengths to get Dorne on his side, precisely because that shit actually mattered.   Then, at the end, Tyrion talks about good stories and each of them just shrugs and decides to let Ned Stark's kid have a go at it.   Even though the Ironborn and Dorne were notoriously independent minded, and Dorne is in the strongest position of any of the kingdoms at the end.   The only remotely possible explanation would be that they are tired of war, except the North was able to leave peacefully because we need a happy ending for Sansa, so why would the other kingdoms feel compelled to fall in with Bran? 

Is that the dude Myrcella was going to marry?

45 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
17 hours ago, utee94 said:
I'm fine with Tyiron living, since the only reason he's shackled is because he committed 'treason" against a dead tyrant who wasn't ever really a monarch of Westeros anyway.
But definitely think Jon Snow should have been the one nominating Bran, if we're forced to endure the kingsmoot plotline.  Or better yet, Jon just drops the mic and walks away to the North and lets the 7 kingdoms sort themselves out.  His Watch is done and everyone else can GF themselves.
What's really frustrating is that most of the ideas floated here over the past 2 months would have been better and more consistent with the first 5-6 seasons of the show than what we ended up with.  And we're just a bunch of assholes on an internet message board.

Read more  

He shouldve been tossed to the wolves from the top steps. That would've made the last episode somewhat salvageable

Agree.  I don't have a problem if they wanted to end the story with Tyrion living, but write it differently if that's the case.  His defiance and treason warranted an immediate death.  Not imprisoned and convincing someone to kill the queen during a conjugal visit. 

Interesting article from The Ringer regarding GoT's Season 8 IMDB reviews: http://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/23/18636692/season-8-iron-throne-imdb-ratings-worst-tv-finale-ever

The bottom line is that the final season and the final episode are arguably the worst in the history of television relative to previous seasons.

image3__287_29.png

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Good, but I don’t understand how Arya has jaime’s face if Jaime isn’t dead. Other than that, much better ending. 

Yeah, that bit was off.  I also don't think we need the white walkers to freeze the bay at King's Landing to engage the Iron Fleet, because if they possessed that power, then they would have done it millenia ago to simply freeze the ocean and walk around The Wall.

But in general, all of that sounds much better than what we got.  It's actually pretty close to how I wanted it to end-- and expected it to end--  about 3 seasons ago before the show runners completely lost their minds. 

Edited by utee94

The surviving Starks all got their asses kicked. They all became stronger for it.

Jon-Reborn King, great soldier
Arya-Trained, shape-shifting ninja assassin
Sansa-Wise and cunning leader
Bran-Omniscient wizard

They didnt fully explore their powers or their motivations. Arya killing Jaime (off-screen), taking his face, then posing as Jaime luring Cersei to see Jaime’s lifeless body, only to kill her would have been interesting. Nope. Cersei hasnt confronted Arya since Season 1? Sansa since S3 or S4? Pathetic.

9 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

For the first few years, Tyrion was the consumate anti-hero. Then he got whiny and boring. For the last few, he's been a non-factor - a waste of air time, and giving him this fucking speech where he suggests that another do-nothing waste of time become the king was a massive let down. Fuck these fucking writers. They were truly weak.

Jon giving the impassioned speech would have been far superior. But maybe the writers couldn't figure out a way for a fighter/rebel to recommend a mealy mouthed fuckhead should be king.

How about Jon escaping from his cell, showing up at their little "summit", chopping off Grey Worms fucking head and telling everyone else that they've gone thru too much to hand over power to shitheads and foreign armies. He challenges every one of them to pick up a sword and take him on to prove that they have what it takes. Sansa is the only one brave enough and smart enough to see what he was doing. When she stands up and draws a sword, Jon kneels and says "there's your new Queen" and walks off.

Anything would have been better than the shit they fed us in Episode 6.

Fantastic!  

• Like 1

And in watching it a second time, the "children in the crypt" part of Episode 3 would have given Tyrion a chance to be a hero (and get closer to Sansa, which the writers seemed to want). He's battling zombies at the wall when he realizes that the women and children in the crypt were in danger. He takes a detail down there and saves them by slashing and chopping up the past kings and queens of Winterfell. The fucking writers just mailed it in.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, that bit was off.  I also don't think we need the white walkers to freeze the bay at King's Landing to engage the Iron Fleet, because if they possessed that power, then they would have done it millenia ago to simply freeze the ocean and walk around The Wall.

But in general, all of that sounds much better than what we got.  It's actually pretty close to how I wanted it to end-- and expected it to end--  about 3 seasons ago before the show runners completely lost their minds. 

Yeah, they can't do anything where the WWs can turn water to ice, or else the whole zombie kidnapping episode would fall apart, since Jon and friends sat on an island waiting for a dragon taxi. 

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Good, but I don’t understand how Arya has jaime’s face if Jaime isn’t dead. Other than that, much better ending. 

Yeah, that isn't consistent with what we know about face stealing. Buuuuuuut, when you write for a show like GoT, you aren't in a silo and able to make continuity mistakes like that without someone else raising the issue. It's a good start, it gets the creative juices flowing, the outline in the video gives some highlights on where to go with the story, and a good team of people who love their work would be able to build around it. It will take a few drafts, but they can certainly provide a satisfying ending to both Jaime and Cersie where Arya gets her big kill (Cersie) using her assassin talents, and making that entire story arc meaningful.

I would have lobbied for Cersie to make the decision to have The Mountain strike down Jaime on her request, after she realized Jaime wasn't with her any more. Let her make an evil impassioned monologue towards him, mention playing "the game", and then have her exit before the execution. Mountain makes the kill by lopping off Jaime's head and leaves it on the floor of the map room. Hound and Arya hear it happen, and Hound goes in for Clegane bowl. Arya sneaks in and takes the head and goes off to do her thing, transforms into Jaime, Jamarya if you will, and goes to find Cersie.

Arya makes a mistake though, with all the commotion, she kinda forgets to grab the gold hand. This is the key to Cersie so she knows Jamarya is not really him. Jamarya gets close to Cersie, Cersie touches her belly and says something about the baby. Jamarya touches her belly with his right hand, and readies a dagger in the left. Jamarya then stabs Cersie in her belly (visibly larger belly, say 5-6 months pregnant), just like they did to Robb's wife. Arya rips off the face and tells Cersie about her list, and all the reasons why she's there to kill her and her offspring. Cersie falls towards Arya's feet in a hunch, crying, begging for mercy. Then a very wounded Mountain wins the Clegane bowl, and stumbles into the room while Arya is yelling and beating a helpless Cersie. Arya vs Wounded Mountain fight while Cersie is on the ground bleeding out. They go back and forth for a while, speedy agile Arya vs big hulking zombie beast could be fun choreography. Eventually, Arya gets the upper hand, and kills Mountain, but then Cersie musters the last bit of strength she has and pulls the dagger out of her belly and strikes Arya from behind, slashing her achilles tendons. She falls to the ground in a heap, can't walk and in shock. We don't know if she lives. Fade to next scene. 

This would at least brings all these stories to some meaningful ending. I really hate that the face stealing ability wasn't relevant in the end, nor did we get some awesome dialogue from a main character towards Cersie before she dies. You could have the Hound win the Clegane bowl, and then come find a crippled Arya on the ground. He grabs her and takes her away to safety, but that feels a too happy to me for a GoT ending, so fuck that. I like the idea of Cersie and Arya bleeding to death on the floor, after stabbing each other with Littlefinger's dagger. There's a bit of poetry in that, given that the origin of that dagger is one of the lies that started the conflict of the show. Both of them dying would have the shock factor GoT has always reveled in, and you could make this struggle very gritty and gruesome. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 7:32 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

Do the Dathraki and Unsullied reproduce by binary fission? How many of those fuckers are there?

This is how it should of went down:

Immediately after the last episode, Jon is walking through KL, sees Dickless killing prisoners, stops him, shit goes south, another battle, Unsullied vs Northmen. Dany orders Drogon to burn Jon, but Drogon instead burns Iron Throne and flies off (because THE DRAGON KNOWS). Dany loses her shit, Dickless is about to defeat JOn, but some random unsullied kills Dickless, random unsulled pulls off face and its Arya.

Dany is taken prisoner, and later Jon chops off her head.

Jon is proclaimed king, but he says fuck it, and heads to be with the wildlings. Council convenes to elect a new king, Sansa says the north is out, Pirate chick says Pyke islands are out, etc, so we are back to 7 independent kingdoms as before Aegon the conquerer. Bran worgs off somehow to make sure another Night King doesn't show up, Arya sails west to do wihatever. , Tyrion becomes king of Castely Rock, Sansa Queen of the north. Fade out with Jon leading the wildlings back north of the wall.

That would have been much better than what we actually got.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:04 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

I liked how Jon showed up at castle black for his lifelong sentence to servitude and walked straight out the back door El Chapo style.

Yeah- I liked Jon becoming the new Mance Rader.  He was a great character and a huge influence on Jon.

The last sequence of Sansa, Arya and Jon starting down their respective paths was the only part of the episode that worked for me.  Not surprisingly, those were bullet points that came directly from GRRM.

The rest of the episode was dog shit that made zero sense, just like most of this season.  It’s amazing these clowns have had GRRM’s bullet points on the ending since 2013, but screwed up so much of seasons 5-8, even though they knew how they needed to end the story.

• Like 1

Anyone watch the doc?  I half-watched 40 min or so. Doesn’t seem very well put together.  Just a bunch of random b-roll production footage. At one point i was like, am I really watching  a makeup artist FaceTime with her kid for two minutes? 

Also hilarious that I didnt see D&D once.  Their complete absence from a “making of” type doc isnt great for their rep right now.  

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Anyone watch the doc?  I half-watched 40 min or so. Doesn’t seem very well put together.  Just a bunch of random b-roll production footage. At one point i was like, am I really watching  a makeup artist FaceTime with her kid for two minutes? 

Also hilarious that I didnt see D&D once.  Their complete absence from a “making of” type doc isnt great for their rep right now.  

Watching it now.  D&D make cameo appearances.  What strikes me is the utter scale of the production; fucking amazing.  Makes these pricks' lack of writing skills all the more egregious

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So it was supposed to end there?  Would have been much better if it had. 

I think they just edited it to jump to the end there. In the doc they had a continuous scene of the table reads for the key scenes of season 8 without really separating between them.

Also they mentioned in the doc that the scripts are delivered to the cast but it's up to them whether they read it before the table read or not.  I'm sure each actor does it differently.

Edited by LonghornSean

15 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Even if he hadn’t read the script until then, it seems odd he was so shocked by Jon stabbing Dany.  The last two episodes were all about Dany becoming Dragon Hitler, and the immediately prior scenes in that particular episode were Tyrion denouncing her and begging Jon to kill her.  

“OMG, can you believe they’re having me stab her?  Did anyone see that coming?”

[Everyone else] “Well, maybe not before the table read, but, yeah, it’s actually been pretty clear for about two hours now.  Haven’t you been listening?”

”Ok, I’m going to be honest.  A few episodes ago I realized all my lines this season were just, ‘She’s muh Queen!  I don’t want it!’  So, honestly I’ve kind of been zoning out since then. Whenever one of you looks at me like it’s my turn to speak, I just say ‘She’s muh Queen’, and so far it has always been right so nobody has noticed.  This paper in front of me actually isn’t even the script - I’ve been doing sudoku.”

But why male models?

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread