Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

I'm re-watching with my wife...starting season 5 tonight.  She's seen the show twice with me.  Maybe she missed an episode or two as she was on the computer/phone not paying attention.  But she's seen them at least once.

Has NO idea what's going on right now.  She's still asking questions about what's going to happen, even in Season 7 which I watched every episode twice with her when it aired.

Just watched S06E05 The Door. I’ve never cared much for Bran and this episode highlights that. His naïveté and carelessness with his warg abilities directly results in the death of Hodor, Summer, Leaf and the other Children of the Forest, and the Three Eyed Raven. Not to mention, he will eventually allow the Night King to cross The Wall.

I know Bran will be important down the stretch and I know his flashbacks are key to understanding Jon’s history, but he’s tough to root for. Just an awkward teenager roaming around doing weird shit, separate from basically every other main character, and inadvertently causing destruction in the process.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Just watched S06E05 The Door. I’ve never cared much for Bran and this episode highlights that. His naïveté and carelessness with his warg abilities directly results in the death of Hodor, Summer, Leaf and the other Children of the Forest, and the Three Eyed Raven. Not to mention, he will eventually allow the Night King to cross The Wall.

I know Bran will be important down the stretch and I know his flashbacks are key to understanding Jon’s history, but he’s tough to root for. Just an awkward teenager roaming around doing weird shit, separate from basically every other main character, and inadvertently causing destruction in the process.

This x 1000

6 minutes ago, sachick said:

Just realized I'll be on damn airplane when the season premiers. How's the wifi signal on Southwest?

if the wifi on the plane is working and if hbo go is up it'll be fast enough.  those are huge ifs though.

13 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Completely agree.

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

It won't matter. HBO Go and Now will be down. There's no way they'll be able to handle the demand.

God damn it...Dish doesn't have HBO anymore due to a dispute, so I'll have to get subscription to HBO Now to watch it...I've been fearing it because I seem to remember every episode had issue last season with airing live.  People had to watch hours later, ugh.

21 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Dude, read what you just wrote.  You're criticizing a character over his inability to immediately master the skills of:

1. Transferring your mind into a living creature (and controlling said creature)
  2. Time travel

Granted, we're talking about a fantasy series, but I think this makes Bran a more believable character than if he just knew how to harness his new powers immediately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

Dude, read what you just wrote.  You're criticizing a character over his inability to immediately master the skills of:

1. Transferring your mind into a living creature (and controlling said creature)
  2. Time travel

Granted, we're talking about a fantasy series, but I think this makes Bran a more believable character than if he just knew how to harness his new powers immediately.

rey-star-warsjpg.jpeg?rect=0,0,1200,600&

2. Time travel

No, I get it. Most of the protagonists in this series have growing pains or character flaws that result in collateral damage along the way. In some cases — Robb Stark and Oberyn Martell — those problems resulted in their death. In other cases — Danaerys and Jon — it means we watch them struggle to find their way. I like that about the show and I think it adds realism and depth to the characters.

Bran is a slightly different situation for me. He was absent for an entire season, he roams around the north doing nerd warg shit, doesn’t speak much, has zero charisma, and hardly a redeeming moment thus far. His scenes are fairly boring and disconnected aside from the intel we got on Jon Snow’s lineage. His collateral damage of allowing the Night King to cross the Wall is arguably the biggest blunder in the series.

I want Bran to pull through and do something badass at a clutch moment, and he’s obviously being set up for that, but he’s kinda meh as far as the good guys go.

so is there any way for the finale to be universally praised, adored, and considered a "win" for the storytellers?

if it has a "happy" ending (jon or dany on the throne) then people will say it betrayed what the show is actually about (if you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention).  people will say that it's not how the books would've ended, and it was all sanitized for mass consumption.

if it has a "bummer" ending (night king, nobody, cersei on the throne) then the die-hards may love it if it's done well, but the general public might be pissed they invested all this time not to see one of the heroes win.

rarely has there been a universally loved finale.  personally, i'm more about the journey, and not expecting the finale to solve all of life's problems.  (yeah, i loved lost, despite the ending).  breaking bad was pretty awesome, but with an anti-hero, you can kinda predict how you need to wrap things up.  the sopranos - i won't even get into it here.  i thought mad men had some missteps near the end, but was fairly satisfied.  the shield had a solid finale.  i may need to watch that one again.

• Like 1

so is there any way for the finale to be universally praised, adored, and considered a "win" for the storytellers?

if it has a "happy" ending (jon or dany on the throne) then people will say it betrayed what the show is actually about (if you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention).  people will say that it's not how the books would've ended, and it was all sanitized for mass consumption.

if it has a "bummer" ending (night king, nobody, cersei on the throne) then the die-hards may love it if it's done well, but the general public might be pissed they invested all this time not to see one of the heroes win.

rarely has there been a universally loved finale.  personally, i'm more about the journey, and not expecting the finale to solve all of life's problems.  (yeah, i loved lost, despite the ending).  breaking bad was pretty awesome, but with an anti-hero, you can kinda predict how you need to wrap things up.  the sopranos - i won't even get into it here.  i thought mad men had some missteps near the end, but was fairly satisfied.  the shield had a solid finale.  i may need to watch that one again.

My theory is that everyone is too caught up right now on speculation about who will "win", meaning end the show sitting securely on the actual iron throne. I could definitely see them twisting and turning so much that that question becomes meaningless.

For like 3 seasons now, Jon Snow has been pretty much singularly focused on convincing every other character on the show just how little it matters which human wears a crown and sits in a castle. Likewise, from what little we know about the Night King, seems fair to say that he gives zero fucks about all that. Controlling Kings Landing isn't the fundamental or most interesting conflict on the show anymore.

That's a big part of the reason why I'm hoping we actually learn something about the NK and his motivation this season. Gonna be kinda disappointed if he turns out to just be a mindless ice zombie that only exists because the show needs a big bad.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Yep.  There will always be someone who doesn't like it.  Like you said, happy ending will get the die hards upset, casual fans will want that but not a twisty/somber ending.

And the bookfags will say GRRM will do it better(and he will, because he'll get to gauge how their ending is handled and tweak his accordingly)

16 hours ago, tokamak said:

My theory is that everyone is too caught up right now on speculation about who will "win", meaning end the show sitting securely on the actual iron throne. I could definitely see them twisting and turning so much that that question becomes meaningless.

For like 3 seasons now, Jon Snow has been pretty much singularly focused on convincing every other character on the show just how little it matters which human wears a crown and sits in a castle. Likewise, from what little we know about the Night King, seems fair to say that he gives zero fucks about all that. Controlling Kings Landing isn't the fundamental or most interesting conflict on the show anymore.

That's a big part of the reason why I'm hoping we actually learn something about the NK and his motivation this season. Gonna be kinda disappointed if he turns out to just be a mindless ice zombie that only exists because the show needs a big bad.

Also agree with all of this.

1 minute ago, PilotsError said:

The Ringer ran an article yesterday examining the rough draft outline George Martin wrote for his publisher in 1993.  There's a most likely fairly big spoiler regarding Jon Snow and Tyrion.  I'm kind of irritated I read it.

Thanks for the heads up. I have that Ringer article saved but haven't read it yet. Gonna skip it.

24 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Thanks for the heads up. I have that Ringer article saved but haven't read it yet. Gonna skip it.

26 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

The Ringer ran an article yesterday examining the rough draft outline George Martin wrote for his publisher in 1993.  There's a most likely fairly big spoiler regarding Jon Snow and Tyrion.  I'm kind of irritated I read it.

Wait, I thought you people didn't read shit. 

20 hours ago, HouTex said:

I will be happy with any ending so long as the cunt Cersei doesn't win.

based on what GRRM said before he stopped writing book 6, saying its not gonna have a happy ending, there is a much better than zero chance that this happens.

In fact if I was betting in those pools I would absolutely put my money on Cersei, the Night King and finally Sam as the best chance of who lives and sits on the throne.

I'll be shocked if Martin ever finishes the books.  He is old, fat and probably has never seen the inside of a gym and the gap between books is getting longer and longer.  I think we'll see book 6 from him but then some other writer will be brought in to finish book 7 with his notes in like 2030.

As for how the show ends...I will be stunned if the Night King or Cersei wins.  I think we are going to see  the 'good' guys win but with heavy casualties.  Arya better not die.

22 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I'll be shocked if Martin ever finishes the books.  He is old, fat and probably has never seen the inside of a gym and the gap between books is getting longer and longer.  I think we'll see book 6 from him but then some other writer will be brought in to finish book 7 with his notes in like 2030.

As for how the show ends...I will be stunned if the Night King or Cersei wins.  I think we are going to see  the 'good' guys win but with heavy casualties.  Arya better not die.

the "feel good" ending would be something like that.  jon snow sacrifices himself for dany to rule or some such, with one remaining stark staying in winterfell.

the question really is whether cersei chills in kl until the end (during the battle).  assuming that happens, the finale will be in kl and should feature the cersei showdown.

I'm not sure Cersei is going to be around the fighting.  She'll send the golden company North to intercept the winner of the battle of Winterfell. 

We know that Daenerys is Jon's aunt so their relationship can never be.  We also know that the Night King can see past, present, and future just like Bran.  The NK was also a regular man until the children of the forest converted him.  Which family (house) did he come from?  It will be funny when Jaime tells everyone at Winterfell that he pushed Bran out of the tower.  He's riding North to join the fighting but probably forgot all about that push.  

I think it won’t be an official relationship on display for all to see once  Bran or whoever tells him that he’s a Targaryen/Stark.  

Once that happens he’s immediately head of house Stark, but I don’t think Dany would give up head of house status to Jon just because he’s a man.

I want a Scooby Doo ending, where the Night King turns out to be Sam Tarly in a mask.  Since that isn't likely, I think Dany survives the battle, but most major characters, including Jon, Bran, Sansa, and all three dragons die while taking out the Night King.  Brienne dies saving Jamie.  The Hound dies saving Arya.  Months after the battle, Dany gives birth.  Cersei attempts to have both Dany and the baby killed, but only gets Dany and Jamie, who dies saving the baby.  Theon kills Euron.  Arya kills The Mountain.  Qyburn is killed by Nymeria.  Tyrion kills Cersei.  Sam raises the prince and heir to the Iron Throne.  Tyrion serves as regent until the prince is old enough to rule.  Arya rules the North and marries Pod.

I'm leaning towards Tyrion taking the iron throne.  he comes from a villainous family, but is he really a villain?  people like him because he's an underdog.  he's kind of a compromise. I would prefer arya over everyone.  jon and daeneyrs have done a good job and negotiated treacherous waters to get here but them winning the game of thrones is too predictable.

23 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I want a Scooby Doo ending, where the Night King turns out to be Sam Tarly in a mask.  Since that isn't likely, I think Dany survives the battle, but most major characters, including Jon, Bran, Sansa, and all three dragons die while taking out the Night King.  Brienne dies saving Jamie.  The Hound dies saving Arya.  Months after the battle, Dany gives birth.  Cersei attempts to have both Dany and the baby killed, but only gets Dany and Jamie, who dies saving the baby.  Theon kills Euron.  Arya kills The Mountain.  Qyburn is killed by Nymeria.  Tyrion kills Cersei.  Sam raises the prince and heir to the Iron Throne.  Tyrion serves as regent until the prince is old enough to rule.  Arya rules the North and marries Pod.

what about hot-pie?

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread