South Padre Island

RollLeft

36 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Locals next to us bitched at the heat this last week. 89-92. I showed them my weather station in Austin at 108 each day. They agreed that 92 was ok.

seabreeze makes all the difference.

I live on N Padre.  The temperature difference between the island and Flour Bluff is at least 5-10 deg. I leave work on the bluff and it is just hot/humid even when the wind blows.  Then you get on the island and it's a different world.  But, use shade wisely...it's a good thing.

Where do y'all eat on the drive between Austin -- South Padre? Figure we'll be around Corpus/Kingsville during lunch time. Would prefer not to venture too far off the route to grab a bit.

10 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Weve stayed twice in that round what we call “Tony Montana” house behind your set up.
Cool spot

This was where we stayed this time. Really cool place, but with a two year old, all the stairs and art were a constant battle.

Where do y'all eat on the drive between Austin -- South Padre? Figure we'll be around Corpus/Kingsville during lunch time. Would prefer not to venture too far off the route to grab a bit.
Odd pick, but we stop at Youngs Pizza in Kingsville. Grew up eating the Texacali and the pizza sandwich.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

1.) Went to Butter's. Not that impressed actually. The food looked fantastic, but the taste was just ok. The brisket was not a winner. 

2.) I've never seen the island so busy. We stayed down the beach some roughly in between Wanna Wanna and Clayton's. Even down there it was hard to find a spot if you didn't get out there early, and this was during the week. It must be a great summer for SPI businesses.

3.) They cut the water out to the entire island one evening, so most of the restaurants were closed. Went to the area around the Port Isabel lighthouse for dinner. Never realized all that was there, but super cute. Great way to spend an evening. Toured the lighthouse, got some ice cream, poked around the shops. Really nice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, texasdago said:

Necrobump...

Good suggestions for quality eats on South Padre?  Of course, were going to Blanca White's.  Just need other suggestions. Doesn't have to be fancy... just quality.  

Drive across the bridge to Port Isabel and grub out at Joe’s Oyster Bar for just damn good seafood. I also like Pelican Station, same food as Dirty Al’s but a bit more “sit-down.” Ceviche Ceviche is takeout only but slays, it’s on the island. Also in PI, the burger place by the lighthouse is killer, greasy and amazing fries. Cash only if I remember. 

D’Pizza joint has a fairly unique crust, I love it.  Get extra cheese and the pepperoni. I’ll eat there over Russo’s any day of the week. 

To watch the game, I might camp out at the Padre Island Brewing Co. Not as amazing as it used to be before the microbrew craze hit across the country, but better beer than average. Great ceviche. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Drive across the bridge to Port Isabel and grub out at Joe’s Oyster Bar for just damn good seafood. I also like Pelican Station, same food as Dirty Al’s but a bit more “sit-down.” Ceviche Ceviche is takeout only but slays, it’s on the island. Also in PI, the burger place by the lighthouse is killer, greasy and amazing fries. Cash only if I remember. 

D’Pizza joint has a fairly unique crust, I love it.  Get extra cheese and the pepperoni. I’ll eat there over Russo’s any day of the week. 

To watch the game, I might camp out at the Padre Island Brewing Co. Not as amazing as it used to be before the microbrew craze hit across the country, but better beer than average. Great ceviche. 

Thank you so much.  You think the brewery is ok with 13-15 year olds?

First dinner was at Laguna Bob's... good vibe, enjoyable cover band, food ok but good spot.

Cafè on the Beach was great for breakfast.  Snagged some spots facing the dunes and the weather was perfect.

Karma Coffee and Books... great spot for afternoon snack. Plan on hitting up again .

Tried getting into Blackbeard's but the line was rough.  Went to Wanna Wanna after dark so no view but did the trick and ceviche was good.

May hit up Port Isabel this afternoon before settling in for the Alamo Bowl.

Lots of license plates from the Midwest and Nuevo Leon and people wearing gear from colleges that none of us have ever heard of.  

Our condo is a shitshow - story for another day. 

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

First dinner was at Laguna Bob's... good vibe, enjoyable cover band, food ok but good spot.

Cafè on the Beach was great for breakfast.  Snagged some spots facing the dunes and the weather was perfect.

Karma Coffee and Books... great spot for afternoon snack. Plan on hitting up again .

Tried getting into Blackbeard's but the line was rough.  Went to Wanna Wanna after dark so no view but did the trick and ceviche was good.

May hit up Port Isabel this afternoon before settling in for the Alamo Bowl.

Lots of license plates from the Midwest and Nuevo Leon and people wearing gear from colleges that none of us have ever heard of.  

Our condo is a shitshow - story for another day. 

I have been going to Blackbeards for a long while and have found it’s been a bit hit or miss the last times I’ve been back.  They take reservations. My advice is to swing by (or call) and ask if they have snapper throats. If they do, then make the reservation. 

11 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I knew a group of families from Nuevo Leon that all own on the Island. Good people. Can't say the same for those damn Midwesterns;)

Several of my Dad’s colleagues from Monterrey Tech bought condos on the Island in the 1970s.

Too bad Mom & Dad weren’t beach fans.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/27/2022 at 6:53 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Ceviche Ceviche is takeout only but slays, it’s on the island.  

Can't be said enough. One order will feed two adults. Pair that with a coke or a beer on a balcony with the breeze, and you've got yourself an amazing lunch.

Damn. I want to go to SPI now.

Holy fuck the fog got thick Friday night and Saturday morning...

But Friday night it was kind of weird.  We stayed in Saida Towers and left around 6pm to go to meet a friend up at Tequila Sunset.  His buddy was playing that night (he was pretty good).  I could barely see driving there on Padre Island Dr.  Then I turned left towards the bars/parking and boom - no fog at all.  There was nothing on the laguna side.

But, I did get my fix of Wanna Wannas and Turbos so life is good.

Kind of a bittersweet trip though.  My GF got a bad leg infection the mid December and we had to cancel our annual trip to the Caribbean for the Christmas season.  We were headed to Cabarete, DR.  But, her doc said she couldn't swim while there and recommended NOT going to a 3rd world country because if anything got worse she'd be fucked.  So we cancelled the day before we were leaving. 

Oh well, we did a 3 day trip down to SPI to at least GTFO of our house.  We went from NPI to SPI...

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I used to wear these in high school and loved them. Dated a girl from the Houston area and we'd go to the factory store and get a new pair yearly. Didn't even know they were still around. 

Its amazing they're still around.  Now to find an "Ultra Hot" t-shirt

• 1 month later...

Just checking in from SPI. Great weather this week, seaweed has been a bit thick on the beach but otherwise been nice. 

Finally made it to Ceviche Ceviche for the first time after all these years. They have a little sit down place next door now. We had the classic ceviche, it was really good. I’m still a Los Tortugas fanboy. And the Botanas platter at Dirty Al’s still slams and goes hard. 

I also ate at The Palms for the first time. Props to the person up thread who said it’s the hidden gem of the island. Absolutely true. Everything was top notch—would highly recommend.

After Memorial Day, the place cleared out and has not been too busy. There was a wreck on Saturday that slowed bridge traffic to a crawl but since then things have mellow. Here’s to a great summer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...