Places to stop along the way from Austin to New Orleans?

blacklab

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one making this drive around new years.

Any hole in the wall resturants we should stop at?

Any interesting things to see along the way?

Sonnier’s in lake charles. Love their smoked boudin 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/LeKUVF8MKavF8ASR8?g_st=ic

Sonnier's Sausage & Boudin

6 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

https://darrellspoboys.com/

Darrell’s in Lake Charles has one of the best poboys I’ve ever had and it’s on the feeder road of the interstate.  

This right here. Darrell’s special with jalapeño mayo is my go to but I’ve tried most of the other sandwiches and they are all top notch. 

Also, it’s actually located off the 210 loop at Ryan St in LC.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

If I-10 is a shitshow around Baton Rouge, it’s easier to take 90. This gives you the opportunity to eat at Spahr’s in Des Allemands, an institution. Or you could hold all the way to New Orleans for Mosca’s. 

Is it ever NOT?

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

If I-10 is a shitshow around Baton Rouge, it’s easier to take 90. This gives you the opportunity to eat at Spahr’s in Des Allemands, an institution. Or you could hold all the way to New Orleans for Mosca’s. 

This x a million. Your gps will say it adds 20 min or so, but you will make up for it by missing all the traffic on the Atchafalaya bridge. 

Best stop on I-10 on the north side, with Billy’s on the south - either are good stops for boudin cracklins etc. 

Olde Tyme is our go-to for po-boys in Lafayette, but Pop’s downtown is a little less traditional and they make a damn good one too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

This x a million. Your gps will say it adds 20 min or so, but you will make up for it by missing all the traffic on the Atchafalaya bridge. 

Best stop on I-10 on the north side, with Billy’s on the south - either are good stops for boudin cracklins etc. 

Olde Tyme is our go-to for po-boys in Lafayette, but Pop’s downtown is a little less traditional and they make a damn good one too. 

Especially if traffic grinds to a standstill on that bridge, which it often does.

which dumbass thought putting a hard right turn combined with an exiting lane immediately after a hugenormous bridge was a good idea? then add another 2 lanes of traffic and another exiting lane

fuck, george's in baton rouge closed

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

The Seafood Palace in Lake Charles -- it's not directly on the interstate, it's a 5 minute drive into town.  But as classic a cajun diner as you can get.

348s.jpg

And near Breaux Bridge, if you hit there around lunch time, hit Poche's Market just a few minutes north of the interstate for their blue plate lunch specials:

348s.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 3

Take the southern route into N.O.  Get off I10 in Lafayette and go hwy 90 through New Iberia. It’s only about 30 minutes longer, maybe less if Baton Rouge is snarled. There are several cool Cajun restaurants along the way. Perhaps tour the Tabasco plant and property on Avery Island. It’s historic and very beautiful. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Not a meal recommendation, but pack a cooler, and on the drive back stop at any number of places in the Lafayette area and bring home as much boudin as you can store in your freezer.  I've been to The Best Stop in Scott at the recommendation of my friend in Breaux Bridge, but there are other solid places as well.

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Not a meal recommendation, but pack a cooler, and on the drive back stop at any number of places in the Lafayette area and bring home as much boudin as you can store in your freezer.  I've been to The Best Stop in Scott at the recommendation of my friend in Breaux Bridge, but there are other solid places as well.

And....if you're coming back to Austin....pick up 40 lbs or so of boudin for me.  I'll pay you a premium.

About 30 minutes outside of Baton Rouge headed to New Orleans on I-10 (and about an hour from New Orleans headed back) at exit 182 there’s a tourist trap in Sorrento called the Cajun Village with numerous older houses converted to little shops selling antiques/hot sauce/souvenirs.

But they also have a coffee shop that serves breakfast and lunch - their beignets and coffee are delicious for breakfast, but the real attraction for me is their “shrimp bouree” on the lunch menu. It’s one of their beignets (not covered in powered sugar) stuffed/smothered with a legit shrimp etoufee and it’s ridiculously awesome - or at least it was last time I was there a couple of years ago. May need a short nap before getting back behind the wheel after that but worth it.

I see Steamboat Bill's, Olde Tyme Grocery, Darrell's, French Press, Bon Temps have all been mentioned. I'd also throw in Little Big Cup in Arnaudville, about 15 min off I10 north of Breaux Bridge.

Best Stop not only has the place in Katy now, but they sell their stuff in various meat markets and grocers, find the nearest to you:

https://www.beststopinscott.com/partner-map/

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...