2018 Golf Thread of Dominance

Hookem2102

Okay, I snagged some 714 AP2s with Project X shafts yesterday off craigslist.  They are in great shape, and I'm super pumped.  Took them to the range, and they are taking some getting used to.  To avoid major mishits I have to stand a little further from the ball than I did with my other irons.  Other than my major swing flaws, is this usual?  Or do I just need to spend some time getting used to them?

I’m sorry I have no input for the questions above, so I’ll just ask another. 

I have the Ping i20s and have absolutely loved them. I’m wondering if anyone has or has hit the i200s?  Also contemplating a switch from the Titleist 917 to the G400. 

Also, first post on Surly

1 hour ago, ousuxndallas said:

Okay, I snagged some 714 AP2s with Project X shafts yesterday off craigslist.  They are in great shape, and I'm super pumped.  Took them to the range, and they are taking some getting used to.  To avoid major mishits I have to stand a little further from the ball than I did with my other irons.  Other than my major swing flaws, is this usual?  Or do I just need to spend some time getting used to them?

What is your miss? Fat, thin, open, closed? Are they longer shaft lengths? Is the lie bent up or down? Maybe the head weight is significantly different from your old clubs and you have to take a more shallow plane to keep the club from bottoming out too early?

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

First post on the new site.  Thinking of new irons--I have the old TM R7s.  I'm a 12 index.  Suggestions?

Go and hit some AP2s, AP3s, Maybe Mizuno MP-18 SC, TM P790. There's actually a ton of options at that skill level. I'm a bit lower than a 12 and I play 716 AP2s and love them

1 hour ago, 936horn said:

Shot a smooth 47/40 yesterday. Front 9 felt like I had never held a golf club in my entire life. Slammed a few beers at the turn and everything turned around.....

Same for me on Friday.  49/40.  Two beers on the back nine and I was a different golfer.

Played Saturday at Clay and shot 44/40.  Been in that 82-85 range for the past couple of rounds, just a couple double bogeys (mostly due to hazards) away from getting in that high 70's range.  

Company tournament is this weekend out at Star Ranch.  Booze paid for and it's a scramble, so it should be a hell of a time.

• Like 1

Stu — it’s been gorgeous here in Austin. Feels like winter completely skipped us. 

Nice to be back. 

33 on an emergency 9 after a 77 at Falconhead last week. Hybrid into 12 to about 6 feet. Birdied 14 too and slid a 7 footer just by 17. Starter tells us greens are rolling a 9, he apparently was high. Those things are pure as can be and rolling 11-12. Took a few holes to get the feel. 

Off to a good start this year, last 6 rounds < 78. 

Edited by longhorn10

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

What is your miss? Fat, thin, open, closed? Are they longer shaft lengths? Is the lie bent up or down? Maybe the head weight is significantly different from your old clubs and you have to take a more shallow plane to keep the club from bottoming out too early?

After some research, I THINK I have figured out the issue.

My old clubs have a more upright lie.  By 0.5 degrees.  You wouldn't think that would matter, but from what I've read online it does.  And my range session confirms that (at least for me).

So, I think I will need some range time to figure out the new clubs.  Mostly, this should be accomplished by standing a little bit further from the ball.  Let's see if I can adjust to that.  I hate that feeling though (I like to be more "on top" of the ball with irons).  So, I'm going to get my swing checked out by a pro and get their opinion.  May end up having my lie angles adjusted.

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

First post on the new site.  Thinking of new irons--I have the old TM R7s.  I'm a 12 index.  Suggestions?

1 hour ago, 936horn said:

Go and hit some AP2s, AP3s, Maybe Mizuno MP-18 SC, TM P790. There's actually a ton of options at that skill level. I'm a bit lower than a 12 and I play 716 AP2s and love them

I am about 4 rounds into the P790s after a failed M1 experience.  Stay away from the M1s, by the way.  The faceslot on the long irons is garbage.

I think the 790s are 3-4 degrees stronger across the board than the 750s and 770s.  I think a mixed set of the 790/770/750 would be nice, assuming you generally like TM irons.  But going through an actual fitting is important as so much is personal feel.

Pretty sure my problem is my short game.  I'm a 12 index and it's been as low as a 9 and as high as a 15.  Some rounds I hit 10 fairways, but I still shoot a 94.  If I hit my driver well it can go about 270 which is plenty long for the courses/tees I play.  My low round ever was last year--a 78 and I've broken 80 two other times.  My average score over the last year is 88.  I play almost every weekend.  I rarely get up and down from around the green and I'm shitty from 90 yards in.  Other than the occasional round or 9 holes when nothing works, I usually can point to 5-8 strokes a round that I lose to my chipping/putting.  I've had two rounds this year when I had 41 putts.  So, more play isn't the answer because I play almost every weekend and I practice my short game a lot.  I've only had a couple of short game lessons.  I guess that's what I need.  Any other ideas?  I also have a temper and I get pissed and lose my focus when I hit a really bad shot.

6 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Pretty sure my problem is my short game.  I'm a 12 index and it's been as low as a 9 and as high as a 15.  Some rounds I hit 10 fairways, but I still shoot a 94.  If I hit my driver well it can go about 270 which is plenty long for the courses/tees I play.  My low round ever was last year--a 78 and I've broken 80 two other times.  My average score over the last year is 88.  I play almost every weekend.  I rarely get up and down from around the green and I'm shitty from 90 yards in.  Other than the occasional round or 9 holes when nothing works, I usually can point to 5-8 strokes a round that I lose to my chipping/putting.  I've had two rounds this year when I had 41 putts.  So, more play isn't the answer because I play almost every weekend and I practice my short game a lot.  I've only had a couple of short game lessons.  I guess that's what I need.  Any other ideas?  I also have a temper and I get pissed and lose my focus when I hit a really bad shot.

You nailed it.  Short game.  It's 60% of your strokes - you do the math.  

I started working on my short game a ton - once I get my irons figured out, I expect to be back as a single digit handicap.  Lots of chipping and pitching.  Every angle and shot you can imagine - flops, chip/roll outs, long carry pitches, etc.  Get a good shag bag of 30-50 balls and spend 1-2 hours a day just chipping and pitching.  Your scores will come down in a hurry.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

After some research, I THINK I have figured out the issue.

My old clubs have a more upright lie.  By 0.5 degrees.  You wouldn't think that would matter, but from what I've read online it does.  And my range session confirms that (at least for me).

So, I think I will need some range time to figure out the new clubs.  Mostly, this should be accomplished by standing a little bit further from the ball.  Let's see if I can adjust to that.  I hate that feeling though (I like to be more "on top" of the ball with irons).  So, I'm going to get my swing checked out by a pro and get their opinion.  May end up having my lie angles adjusted.

I wouldn't mess with your swing too much if all it takes is bending clubs 0.5 degrees. That's a pretty easy thing to do especially with forged heads. Golf is so mental that you don't want to be thinking "I hate standing this far from the ball" the second before trying to stripe a 4 iron over water.

Unless you're in the middle of a swing overhaul anyways, I'd just shell out the $$ to get the clubs bent.

43 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

You nailed it.  Short game.  It's 60% of your strokes - you do the math.  

I started working on my short game a ton - once I get my irons figured out, I expect to be back as a single digit handicap.  Lots of chipping and pitching.  Every angle and shot you can imagine - flops, chip/roll outs, long carry pitches, etc.  Get a good shag bag of 30-50 balls and spend 1-2 hours a day just chipping and pitching.  Your scores will come down in a hurry.  

I agree! But, you an't ignore putting. I have a similar problem to houtex, but I would say my chipping and pitching is above average. It doesn't matter if you can hit it within a five foot radius of 80-90% of your chips when you can't sink a five footer on a consistent basis. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, de(d) said:

I agree! But, you an't ignore putting. I have a similar problem to houtex, but I would say my chipping and pitching is above average. It doesn't matter if you can hit it within a five foot radius of 80-90% of your chips when you can't sink a five footer on a consistent basis. 

Good point.  And another problem I have is reading greens.  Some reads are obvious, but sometimes I can't read a putt to save my life.  Then there's the grain issue.

Is there a trick to it besides the obvious?  I tend to over read every break.

1 minute ago, HouTex said:

Good point.  And another problem I have is reading greens.  Some reads are obvious, but sometimes I can't read a putt to save my life.  Then there's the grain issue.

Is there a trick to it besides the obvious?  I tend to over read every break.

I grew up in Houston and if your username suggests where you live, then I can say most greens in Houston don't break as much as you think. I payed tournaments as a junior around the Houston area and I always over read breaks. That being said, on long putts it is better to leave on the high side and on short putts I would avoid playing anything outside of the hole. Unless, the slope is really severe, but generally it is better to ram the shorter ones in with confidence by not giving up too much of the hole and hit them in with some pace. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, longhorn10 said:

33 on an emergency 9 after a 77 at Falconhead last week. Hybrid into 12 to about 6 feet. Birdied 14 too and slid a 7 footer just by 17. Starter tells us greens are rolling a 9, he apparently was high. Those things are pure as can be and rolling 11-12. Took a few holes to get the feel. 

Off to a good start this year, last 6 rounds < 78. 

Where did you hit your tee shot on 1?

Weird couple of rounds for me the last few weeks.  Took my first real lesson in probably 5 years or more from local pro who has worked with a number of PGA pros over the years (Zach Johnson, Vaughn Miller, KJ Choi to name a few).  After finding out I probably have bent my Scotty Cameron Napa several degrees upright over the years (leaning on it) we concluded that it was causing me to shut the clubface at address (toe would fall left).  Then we went to the range and he got me to get my legs into my swing.  Apparently I'm all shoulders and arms, which explains why I can't hit it out of my shadow off the tee.

Anyway he got me making a bigger hip/shoulder turn on the backswing and to start "sitting down" into my downswing instead of simply trying to clear my hips laterally.  It's been an instant game changer, but it's going to take a while to get things grooved.

As for the weird rounds, I'm hitting it better off the tee than I have in recent memory.  Easily another 20-30 yards on average with driver/3 wood.  However, now I'm having to recalibrate all my iron shots, so I'm missing a lot of greens or long a lot even when I club down.  So, I'll go on a 4 or 5 hole par stretch then blow up with several doubles; usually all short game related.

Rounds this month:  88, 91 (yikes, but it was Shady Oaks), 80, 85, 88 (Maridoe--HARD), 78, 82, 81, 82.

Last 3 rounds all felt like I shot 90; scoring was terrible but hitting great off the tee.  It's coming around....

4 hours ago, Longhornanth said:

Got my index down from 11.1 to 7.8 in 4 months and its still going lower.  Playing a lot.  Life is good.  Beating DDD Dad at home.  he beats me at his home.  pretty even matches these days.

You're doing it wrong.  I got my index up from 3.3 in October to 7.3 this revision (pre-lesson) so I don't have to give you 4 a side anymore.

4 hours ago, Longhornanth said:

Pre marriage Index: 5.5

Pre first kid index: 7.5

Pre second kid index: 9.5

Pre third kid: 12.5

currently: 7 year old (who plays tourny golf), 5 year old, 3 year old kid.. index: 7.8.  

Buckle up Caddox..see you on the other side of the mountain

This is the path of a married golfer with kids.  LOL

Broke down and am switching drivers ordered a 10.5 M3 head from a buddy who is a Taylormade rep to replace my 2016 M1.  Happened to test on a day where I had my good swing going and not the evil twin.  Hope to have it before we reopen Cypresswood on the 9th.

1 hour ago, chitwood said:

It's called parenting, you son of a bitch.

Speaking from experience, the kids will grow up regardless of your parenting.  How many opportunities will you have to attend another FJ or TX-OU invitational?

Edited by DDD Dad