Watching Televised Poker

SKA the boss

I was watching the Main Event a few nights ago and a hand occurred where the two players left in had only exposed one card to the producers. The hand could go either way and the announcers were trying to speculate and call all the what if scenarios. I found it way more interesting than actually seeing both cards. I doubt the general, casual viewer would like it as much, but I would like to see this catch on. What are your thoughts?

3 minutes ago, SKA the boss said:

I was watching the Main Event a few nights ago and a hand occurred where the two players left in had only exposed one card to the producers. The hand could go either way and the announcers were trying to speculate and call all the what if scenarios. I found it way more interesting than actually seeing both cards. I doubt the general, casual viewer would like it as much, but I would like to see this catch on. What are your thoughts?

go back and watch all the WSOP's from 2002 and earlier... especially the ones Gabe Kaplan MC'd.   Thats pretty much exactly what you got.     Of course, you never saw the hole cards unless they showed.

turns out... it was pretty fucking boring unless you were a poker nut.

Edited by AUS-97HORN

When they first tried showing the Main Event "live" they didn't show hold cards til the hand was over. This was about 5-6 years ago. Everyone bitched. I think this way is the best. 30min delay sure, but we get to see hold cards and everything. Better than waiting weeks later for the production version where everyone already knows what happens. 

On 7/12/2018 at 12:08 PM, Chewbacca said:

I like the 30 minute delay because guys at the table (like Cada when he pulled off his al-in bluff last night) know they are going to get caught after 30 min.  Definitely changes the way they play, IMO.

i don't think that is good though. i think part of a tournament is only getting to use whatever information you have seen on the table and being able to control what information you let others see. i think it sucks, but also realize it is necessary.