Gun Control

Heavy 6

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Donations to the NRA tripled after Parkland.  So, there are people who see a school shooting and their first reaction isn't to wonder how we can stop shootings but to donate to the NRA?  Hillary was right.

When has the left wanted to have an open an honest discussion about the FBI and Broward fuckups that lead to this shooting?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

The argument that bullying causes school shooters is absurd on its face. If it was bullying that caused school shooters you'd see transgender shooters, obese female shooters, and a hell of a lot of shooters of color. But what you see is, almost every time, white boys. The LEAST marginalized group in the nation represents the vast majority of the mass shooters. Yes, the white boys felt marginalized, but why is it essentially only them that do this? What the fuck is it with white maleness that decides that the world needs to die when his white maleness is not validated?

Besides that, avoiding a violent and threatening person is not bullying. Men are not owed the attention of women. I know the cool thing is to rage at the seemingly-gay kid and the shaved-head minority girl, but how the hell is avoiding and shunning someone tantamount to "bullying"? If some racist MAGA CHUD threatens you you're supposed to invite him to your birthday party? Fuck off.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I know this shock no one with a semblance of intelligence.

From WaPo: only about 10% of March for Our Lives protesters were younger than 18. For those older than 18, the average age was 49.

What percent were younger than 6? For those older than 15.5 years and younger than 16.2 years, what was the average age?

6 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

However, if these mass shootings keep up, what will change is that eventually those 2nd Amendment guys are going to be left out of the conversation and they are going to get gun reform whether they like it or not, and its likely going to be worse than it could've been if they'd been part of the discussion to begin with.  The 2nd Amendment guys will be like the people who railed against gay marriage and would have no discussions about alternatives who ended up just being left out of the conversation.  When they realized it and tried to finally participate in the conversation about maybe having a civil union statute, it was too late and now they get to see married gays running around the country.

Sounds like a good argument to go ahead and leave the 2nd amendment guys out of the argument. Save a lot of time. And lives.

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The argument that bullying causes school shooters is absurd on its face. If it was bullying that caused school shooters you'd see ... obese female shooters ... shooter of color...

I can remember two epic throwdowns where obese African American females beat the shit out of skinny white males from my high school days.

Just now, High Plains Drifter said:

I can remember two epic throwdowns where obese African American females beat the shit out of skinny white males from my high school days.

I can remember a lot of blow jobs from fatties, black and white, delivered to skinny white males from my high school days. 

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The top quote is real, and from a rally in Tallahassee shortly after the shooting at Stoneman Douglas.  The bottom quote is some gun nut's interpretation of what she's saying. 

I feel like the incidence of straight up bullshi, made up, infowars level fake news and memes is WAY higher on this new site.

Also makes me think that Epi found his way here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We had a brief moment today in this thread where actual policy was discussed like adults.

Even though I disagree with your ideas, and I poke a bit at your Russia fetish, I do appreciate that you were trying to add some signal amongst the noise here.

1 hour ago, Mike "Wags" Wagner said:

When has the left wanted to have an open an honest discussion about the FBI and Broward fuckups that lead to this shooting?

When will the right admit that the NRA has gotten everything they've wanted yet we still keep having shootings?  

The solution?  More of what the NRA wants.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

When will the right admit that the NRA has gotten everything they've wanted yet we still keep having shootings?  

The solution?  More of what the NRA wants.

Yes, bad people are going to do bad things. When bad people are identified existing law should be followed to ensure they can't purchase guns. The last 2 mass shootings were text book failures of the government failing to report bad people through the proper channels. So yes, please tell me, what new laws should we pass, when the current ones aren't even fucking enforced.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Mike "Wags" Wagner said:

Yes, bad people are going to do bad things. When bad people are identified existing law should be followed to ensure they can't purchase guns. The last 2 mass shootings were text book failures of the government failing to report bad people through the proper channels. So yes, please tell me, what new laws should we pass, when the current ones aren't even fucking enforced.

Which gun laws were broken in the last few shootings?

I remember the Texas church shooter was thrown out of the Air Force for mental problems yet he legally bought an assault rifle.  The Orlando nightclub was on a no fly list and did the same.

10 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The argument that bullying causes school shooters is absurd on its face. If it was bullying that caused school shooters you'd see transgender shooters, obese female shooters, and a hell of a lot of shooters of color.

There aren't enough transgenders in this country to fill some highschool football stadiums. 

The Orlando shooter was gay wasn't he?  A lot of these school shooters had pent up sexual aggression like Brisket pointed out so it could be related to that.

Balitmore, Detroit and St Louis have plenty of gang related mass shootings which are effectively the same thing.  The shooters are targeting the people that they feel have wronged them and go to the locations those people frequent. 

If you read the manifestos of the school shooters and listen to their stories, every single one was made an outcast by their peers, felt alienated and lashed out.

• Fuck You 1

Omar Mateen being gay would be news to his wife, probably.

Yes, school shooters feel alienated. And no, you're dead fucking wrong about being made outcasts. Eric Harris was popular. The morning of the shooting, girls were shouting at him through an open car window to invite him to a party. The problem was in his head, just like basically every single other one of these monsters. Couple mental unwellness with firearms and, hey, this is what happens.

We can either fix the human condition or make the human condition safer to inhabit.

Sorry, MAGA CHUDs and other various deplorable, hate-filled scum; you're not an angry piece of shit because that girl rejected you, that girl rejected you because you are an angry piece of shit. Fix yourself.

8 hours ago, Mike "Wags" Wagner said:

Which laws would, if properly enforced, have stopped the Parkland shooting? Dylan Roof? Please be a s specific as you can because, once again, it seems like you're just spouting vague talking points.

Mateen was not gay.  And evidence has made it pretty clear that he was not specifically targeting the LGBTQ community either.  Really good article about it here: https://theintercept.com/2018/03/05/as-the-trial-of-omar-mateens-wife-begins-new-evidence-undermines-beliefs-about-the-pulse-massacre-including-motive/

8 hours ago, Mike "Wags" Wagner said:

for 30 years the rightwing has preached and drummed and droned on and on about small government, less government intervention.  lets cut taxes, cut spending, and have fewer staff doing federal jobs.  that's been your mantra for 30 years plus.   oh but wait, now you say its the governments fault.  how disingenuous of you to hamstring a government, then blame them when they fail.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

for 30 years the rightwing has preached and drummed and droned on and on about small government, less government intervention.  lets cut taxes, cut spending, and have fewer staff doing federal jobs.  that's been your mantra for 30 years plus.   oh but wait, now you say its the governments fault.  how disingenuous of you to hamstring a government, then blame them when they fail.  

This has to be one of the most dishonest arguments I have ever seen. We have an incredibly bloated government, especially coming off 8 years of Obama. Blame can certainly be placed with the failures of the FBI and Broward police, as well as the kid himself. Who is not to blame though? The gun itself, people kill people. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier Longhorn said:

A "high school student" with a verified Twitter account......Yeah that just happens without a little head scratching 

What, in your mind, is a verified Twitter account?

And what is Hogg if not a high school student? Why is that in quotation marks?

Edited by bad_teammate

Jean Paul Sartre on anti-Semites - apt today for the political right in America

“Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.”

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

lmao, seek help dude, you are completely unhinged, and I really mean it, you are certifiable 

They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors.

1 hour ago, Hoosier Longhorn said:

A "high school student" with a verified Twitter account......Yeah that just happens without a little head scratching 

Twitter relaxed the rules for verification long ago. Some of our football commits had verification tags in high school, like Ehlinger. 

57 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Jean Paul Sartre on anti-Semites - apt today for the political right in America

There was a time, not so long ago, that being called an anti-Semite actually carried some weight. Before you water down the word even further, I would scrape together $1.50 and head to your local library to learn what it truly means. As I’m sure the tears you’ve cried reading about evil America’s atrocities have rendered your own history books unreadable. 

Also, Thorazine is fairly effective in treating delusions and scattered thoughts in general. Your curent state is no way to navigate life, and hell, you might even become employable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

All zero people here who advocate the repeal of the 2nd just got WRECKED. Man I hope those non-existent people can recover one day.

Instead they want to repeal by reading "the right of the people" really does not mean an individual right.  Some stunning fucking logic. 

5 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Which gun laws were broken in the last few shootings?

I remember the Texas church shooter was thrown out of the Air Force for mental problems yet he legally bought an assault rifle.  The Orlando nightclub was on a no fly list and did the same.

Exactly. The Air Force failed to report the Texas shooter for his domestic violence. Had they, he would have been in the NICS system and unable to purchase a gun. Same with Cruz. Thanks for proving my point. The current laws aren't being enforced.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

This is such a fucking retarded post.

The government's job is to protect the citizenry, not pay for fucking healthcare. Maybe instead of spending resources, like say determining the sexual activity of Russian birds on cocaine, the government should instead use those resources where it's needed. Like reporting bad people to the proper channels so they are unable to purchase firearms.

• Fuck You 1

Conservatives: Fuck this culture of participation trophies.
ALSO Conservatives: If you don’t pretend to like my awkward, shitty white son it’s your fault if he kills you.

Conservatives: Shut up and sing.
ALSO Conservatives: I literally vote for celebrities and post their words to back up my arguments.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

"Enforce the laws we already have!!!"

- "Like what? Which ones?"

"The laws we already have!!!"

- "Great, which ones, specifically?"

"OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

31 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Conservatives: Fuck this culture of participation trophies.
ALSO Conservatives: If you don’t pretend to like my awkward, shitty white son it’s your fault if he kills you.

Conservatives: Shut up and sing.
ALSO Conservatives: I literally vote for celebrities and post their words to back up my arguments.

Dude, you are real piece of work. Did you coach up this Hogg guy?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mike "Wags" Wagner said:

The government's job is to protect the citizenry, not pay for fucking healthcare. Maybe instead of spending resources, like say determining the sexual activity of Russian birds on cocaine, the government should instead use those resources where it's needed. Like reporting bad people to the proper channels so they are unable to purchase firearms.

Correct.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'm curious as to what smoothbrained conclusion you're suggesting. And you might want to brush up on Twitter policies.

you know exactly the implication of that post. the implication is a dog whistle to like-minded folks to try and reinforce the false narrative that this hogg kid is a professional actor who travels around to crises, despite zero evidence.

Even more interesting, the new protesters were less motivated by the issue of gun control. In fact, only 12 percent of the people who were new to protesting reported that they were motivated to join the march because of the gun-control issue, compared with 60 percent of the participants with experience protesting.

Instead, new protesters reported being motivated by the issues of peace (56 percent) and Trump (42 percent), who has been a galvanizing force for many protests.

March for Our Lives protesters were also more likely to identify as ideologically moderate. About 16 percent did so, higher than at any other protest event since the inauguration. But unsurprisingly, it was still a very liberal crowd: 79 percent identified as “left-leaning” and 89 percent reported voting for Hillary Clinton.

lulz.

40 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

you know exactly the implication of that post. the implication is a dog whistle to like-minded folks to try and reinforce the false narrative that this hogg kid is a professional actor who travels around to crises, despite zero evidence.

Yeah I know, I just wanted to see him try to dance around it.

1 hour ago, Mike "Wags" Wagner said:

i dont know who you are or where you came from, but when they put you under rest assured there will be no doubt as to the sandiness of your vagina.  you are doing a great job here of showing you have ample.  are you and vmw vying to knock rocko off his sandy vagina throne.  maybe we should more aptly rename it the surly vagina award.  don't worry, you're in the running.

so you just typed a couple of lines that proved my point.  you dont believe our government should be involved in funding healthcare or bird research, but you are all for ramping up the staffing and funding of any agency that screens gun registration applications.  you believe in a more thorough screening of gun owner applicants?

there was a great meeting with the president in the white house, bringing in representatives from both sides to talk about the issue, expressing his eagerness to do something about gun violence.  the republicans there had great ideas.  trump said send me a bill i can sign. they all went back to their desk and threw their ideas in the trash.  been quiet as a churchmouse ever since.   mum's the word.  the president and his empty words that come out of his lying mouth.  so he chickened out then, reversed his stance after a closed door meeting with the nra, and now his stance is we dont need no stinkin gun control, what we need is to keep guns out of bad peoples hands.  that's now the big idea.  so how?  oh, there are no ideas behind it.  nothing pending.  no actions, no ideas how we go about doing that.  so while your president dreams of golden showers instead of gun control, what ideas do you have, mr mags, as to how we come guns out of the hands of bad people?