Holy crap: Pat Sajak is the Chairman of kooky Hillsdale College

Gil Bang

Pat Sajak guides the realm of letter-turning and phrase-guessing as host of the enduring game show Wheel of Fortune, maintaining an amiable, everyman persona for more than four decades.

But when the subject turns to politics, Sajak becomes something quite different — a sharp-elbowed culture warrior who serves as chairman of the Board for Hillsdale College, a small private institution in Michigan beloved by Christian conservatives.

“If you care about liberty and if you believe America’s brightest young people deserve an alternative to the PC-policed schools that dominate the American university landscape, I encourage you to support Hillsdale College,” Sajak said in a January fundraising letter obtained by Raw Story.

He says Hillsdale offers education “free of the far-Left propaganda that has infected so many of America’s college campuses.”

Hillsdale immerses students in classic Western thought in what it sees as high-minded support of “America’s founding principles of liberty and limited government.”

Despite the school’s lofty ideals, the New York Times reported recently how Hillsdale was caught up in Donald Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 presidential election.

And the school apparently doesn’t hesitate to rile its donors with red meat conservative bugaboos.

Sajak’s fundraising letter included a “National Opinion Survey on the threat of Critical Race Theory in American Education.”

“Do you think critical race theory has a divisive effect in our schools, increasing race consciousness and racial division in the name of ‘anti-racism’?” is the first question.

Hillsdale did not immediately respond to Raw Story’s request for comment.

The “survey” generally reads like an advertisement for Hillsdale, including mentions of the school’s free online courses and magazine.

Sajak, 77, has been on Hillsdale’s Board of Trustees since 2002 and became chairman in 2019. He is a longtime friend of Hillsdale President Larry Arnn. Former Vice President Mike Pence and U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas are also noted friends of Arnn.

Pence delivered Hillsdale’s graduation speech as a sitting vice president. Thomas has also been a graduation speaker for the school.

This year’s speaker is Sajak, who, in a presidential election year, will have plenty to discuss — if the game show host makes his speech political.

“Pat Sajak gave a wonderful convocation speech some years ago,” Arnn said when Sajak was announced as the speaker last September. “He has done long and excellent service for our college, and he has a serious understanding of and commitment to it. I expect his remarks will be worthy of the occasion.”

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

There’s something about making too much money in a trite career that requires no education or intellectual curiosity that transforms all these C-list celebs into fascist douchenozzles. 

Brown man gonna take all my money and my trophy wife too.

Csb/ I knew a cameraman for the early years of WoF, back when the winnings bought stuff. My bud says after one episode, Vanessa comes up to him, still wearing the fur she had modeled. “Could you see?” She asked. “No. Wut?” was his reply. She turns, and slips the fur off her shoulder, to reveal the carpet burn she was obviously proud of showing. Seems like she is fun.

• Drool 1

13 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

There’s something about making too much money in a trite career that requires no education or intellectual curiosity that transforms all these C-list celebs people into fascist douchenozzles. 

Money = power 

And power magnifies a person's strengths & weaknesses. These people are weak pieces of shit and they lash out 

• Hook 'Em 1

Being successful and earning a lot of money can give anyone the false believe that they're smarter than everyone. Or even if they don't think they're smarter, they may just want to impose their belief system on you because they can. And honesty, anyone can fall victim to this mentality.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Csb/ I knew a cameraman for the early years of WoF, back when the winnings bought stuff. My bud says after one episode, Vanessa comes up to him, still wearing the fur she had modeled. “Could you see?” She asked. “No. Wut?” was his reply. She turns, and slips the fur off her shoulder, to reveal the carpet burn she was obviously proud of showing. Seems like she is fun.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952z2ln1f3mzdqdgidqvji

16 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

What is Hillsdale College?  Is it one of those fake online schools with a legit sounding name?

It's actually a decent school.  It was an all-around liberal arts education institution of higher learning.  Then, after Liberty University and its ilk took off, it got hijacked by some fringe lunatics.  It had a foundational concept that is not a bad idea in theory, that all students regardless of major would take two semesters in the U.S. Constitution.  And their approach wasn't necessarily originalist, but just pragmatism and conceptualism.  But they went off the rails about 15 years ago and helped set some of the machinations we see today into motion. 

csb/ many years ago at some financial conference in DFW, my business colleague and I met these two sisters at the reception.  They were being quite flirty and cute, we got to exchanging background information.  One of them mentioned they both went to Hillsdale.  This was before you could just pull up whatever you wanted on your phone.  So, having grown up in the midwest with a lot of conservative, working class families who had children that went off to Hillsdale, I said, "Oh, well that would make you an expert on our constitution."  And they were very impressed that I knew that without hesitation.  And both of them said something to the effect of, "Our parents forced us to go there to learn to be proper conservatives but we've been living life the opposite ever since to make up for it."  And sure enough, my buddy took one of 'em up to his room and started a weeklong fling with her.  Later on, she sent racy pics of herself with her new husband to him with a caption reading like, "You can't fuck the Hillsdale out of a girl..."  Anyway, it's a scene man...it's a scene.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It's actually a decent school.  It was an all-around liberal arts education institution of higher learning.  Then, after Liberty University and its ilk took off, it got hijacked by some fringe lunatics.  It had a foundational concept that is not a bad idea in theory, that all students regardless of major would take two semesters in the U.S. Constitution.  And their approach wasn't necessarily originalist, but just pragmatism and conceptualism.  But they went off the rails about 15 years ago and helped set some of the machinations we see today into motion. 

csb/ many years ago at some financial conference in DFW, my business colleague and I met these two sisters at the reception.  They were being quite flirty and cute, we got to exchanging background information.  One of them mentioned they both went to Hillsdale.  This was before you could just pull up whatever you wanted on your phone.  So, having grown up in the midwest with a lot of conservative, working class families who had children that went off to Hillsdale, I said, "Oh, well that would make you an expert on our constitution."  And they were very impressed that I knew that without hesitation.  And both of them said something to the effect of, "Our parents forced us to go there to learn to be proper conservatives but we've been living life the opposite ever since to make up for it."  And sure enough, my buddy took one of 'em up to his room and started a weeklong fling with her.  Later on, she sent racy pics of herself with her new husband to him with a caption reading like, "You can't fuck the Hillsdale out of a girl..."  Anyway, it's a scene man...it's a scene.  

That is a cool story, bro.  

ca559fdc003988c36bee01afd024f59c.gif

1 hour ago, Frank Erwin said:

I got the letter in the mail too and usually can Hillsdale crap.  It did surprise me as Sajak has done a good job of keeping his batshit crazy side gig out of the public eye until now

These are great days for nationally known gameshow hosts. Trump, Rogan, why not Sajak?

I saw Drew Carey, when he was host of "The Price is Right" years ago, speak at a Reason Foundation deal.  And he was very impressive.  Had a well ranging and explanatory background for his socio-political ideology.  Much more than you'd expect form a comic/gameshow host.  But that was in an era where we could pick and choose our little slivers of ethos.  

All that say, the most insanely right-wing gameshow host in history has to be Jackie Rogers, Jr. and his $100.000 Jackpot Wad.  

I wonder where my man Chuck Barris would fall on the political spectrum?  On one hand, he was coked out like a mother fucker on pretty much every episode of the Gong Show but on the other hand he claimed to be a CIA assassin in the past.

I think Chuck was a patriot.  And on that note, the more I think about game shows of my youth, most either turned out to be fringe lunatics or committed suicide.  But other than that, I salute Richard Dawson for making out with married women on live television.  Show me POTATO SALAD! 

Well if that's all it takes for a dude to french a blonde, brunette, black woman, hispanic woman, and what looked like on our cheap television to be a Laotian in the same episode...then godspeed you carnation-wearing goofball.  

Show me, "Progressive, non-consensual tonguing!"