2022 World Cup Qatar (Winter world cup)

JimmyHoffa

21 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Fox has to be so pissed.  Paid all of that money for broadcasting rights only to have it conflict with College Football/NFL

FOX was awarded the 2026 World Cup without even having to bid on it as a concession for obvious scheduling conflicts for the 2022 tournament.

I think that they are fucking jumping for joy!

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Imagine if it was a 48 team WC, it would run till the beginning of January. Considering teams usually spend 4-6 weeks before the WC training and playing friendlies, its a complete cluster.

plus it is a country that doesn't have the infrastructure for the visitors.  and they don't allow alcohol.

It is without a doubt the most crooked award in the history of business

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fuck you Timor Leste or as I say Timor Lesser.

The first 5 teams have been eliminated from 2022 FIFA World Cup contention: Brunei, Laos, Timor Leste, Bhutan & Pakistan

Yes already. The AFC qualifying first round has seen 5 teams knocked out in two legs. Brunei victim to Mongolia, Laos out by Bangladesh, Bhutan defeated by Guam, Timor Leste thrashed by Malaysia, and Pakistan fell to Cambodia. Macao went up 1-0 to Sri Lanka and the second leg is postponed. Better luck in 2026, at least Pakistan has cricket going for them

Edited by MoJames

Bhutan defeated by Guam

Bhutan population: 807,610

Guam population: 164,299

Bhutan, a Buddhist kingdom on the Himalayas’ eastern edge, is known for its monasteries, fortresses (or dzongs) and dramatic landscapes that range from subtropical plains to steep mountains and valleys.

Shocking that a USA subsidiary, Guam, could beat a mountainous "country" of monks roughly 5 times its size.

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

Fuck you Timor Leste or as I say Timor Lesser.

I'm surprised some of these countries have teams. Macau? Timor Leste? 

How do they even set about organizing/finding 20 players and coaches?

15 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Bhutan, a Buddhist kingdom on the Himalayas’ eastern edge, is known for its monasteries, fortresses (or dzongs) and dramatic landscapes that range from subtropical plains to steep mountains and valleys.

Shocking that a USA subsidiary, Guam, could beat a mountainous "country" of monks roughly 5 times its size.

Well, they are still renowned for their dzongs, so they got that going for them - which is nice.

• Like 1

Maybe there's still time to move this train wreck to a decent place at the right time of year.

How the hell are the big clubs supposed to compete in their leagues, domestic cups, and Champions League while their best players are gone for over a month?  This is the dumbest thing FIFA's ever done, and that's saying an awful lot.

Edited by TexArcher

On 6/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, Napoleon said:

Bhutan is an archery country. For a while there they were also known as the happiest country.

3 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Southern hemisphere has winter during our summer. So like huck said we have had winter world cups before

...Like in 2014... though Brazil's coldest (southern most) stadium I believe was Porto Alegre, which is about exactly 30 degrees south of the equator.

Austin is 30.25 degrees above the equator, but Porto Alegre is on the ocean, which makes the climate slightly more predictably moderate than Austin's winter weather.

Qatar is on the water, but is only about 25 degrees above the equator...

SIDE NOTE: I don't really know where I'm going with this, so I'll stop.

• Like 3

...Like in 2014... though Brazil's coldest (southern most) stadium I believe was Porto Alegre, which is about exactly 30 degrees south of the equator.
Austin is 30.25 degrees above the equator, but Porto Alegre is on the ocean, which makes the climate slightly more predictably moderate than Austin's winter weather.

Yeah not sure either lol...was just pointing out huck was right technically
The dates will be weird for sure though

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

It’s like Lenin said, you look for the person who will benefit and uh, uh you know, uh, you know what I’m trying to say. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If they still hold it in Qatar then the US should boycott.

That way I don't have to drink myself into a stupor in case we don't qualify again. 

How could Michael Bradley & Gyasi Zardes not lead a Gregg Berhalter-coached team to the promised land?

• 3 years later...