Brussels/Amsterdam

midtown

Going to London in late Oct to see an EPL game.  I've been to London and done most of the touristy stuff so my thought was to spend just a few days there then head to Amsterdam and or Brussels.    Was thinking two days in Brussels and 3 days in Amsterdam.  Good plan?  Is Brussels worth checking out?  Should I go somewhere else instead?

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Going to London in late Oct to see an EPL game.  I've been to London and done most of the touristy stuff so my thought was to spend just a few days there then head to Amsterdam and or Brussels.    Was thinking two days in Brussels and 3 days in Amsterdam.  Good plan?  Is Brussels worth checking out?  Should I go somewhere else instead?

I'd go to both Brussels and Amsterdam every year if I could.

• Like 5

Booked. 52k AA miles

Oct 25 SAT>DFW>LHR.  Arrive at 10am on Friday.  Game is either Sat or Sun. 

Fly to Brussels on Monday/Tuesday train to Amsterdam on Wed/Thurs

Sat Nov 3 AMS>LHR>PHL>SAT

Edited by midtown

39 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyooscx7Ct9igeAHu2voJ

It’s a fairytale town, isn’t it? How’s a fairytale town not somebody’s fucking thing?H ow can all those canals and bridges and cobbled streets and those churches, all that beautiful fucking fairytale stuff, how can that not be somebody’s fucking thing, eh?

How can fucking swans not fucking be somebody’s fucking thing, eh? How can that be

In Amsterdam I preferred Rembrandt Square and Leidseplein Square for neighborhoods to search, but no clue as to airbnb's in those areas. Also Maastricht is great too, and would almost pick staying their over Brussels, and can't argue against Brugge. 

Edited by shnsajax

23 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Well what are you wanting to do in these cities? 

Some art, culture, architecture, food, drinks.  I can wander around a city for hours and just people watch.  I like to see a few cool tourist things but I am not clark griswald by any stretch.  I have just as much fun meeting people.  I like walking tours and I usually sign up for a pub crawl or food tour and end up meeting fun people.  

Edited by midtown

Some art, culture, architecture, food, drinks.  I can wander around a city for hours and just people watch.  I like to see a few cool tourist things but I am not clark griswald by any stretch.  I have just as much fun meeting people.  I like walking tours and I usually sign up for a pub crawl or food tour and end up meeting fun people.  

If you can get a room my real suggestion is to email St. Bernardus (Jackie is who you want to talk too) and see if their B&B has any rooms available. If so you take a train to Poperinge from Brussels which is a cool town and take a Belbus to Watou. From their you can ride a bike or take a Belbus to In De Vrede to drink all the Westvletren you want. Poperinge and Watou are cool tiny towns on the French border. The B&B has a beer fridge free to drink from and just a great place in the middle of nowhere.

12 hours ago, shnsajax said:

If you can get a room my real suggestion is to email St. Bernardus (Jackie is who you want to talk too) and see if their B&B has any rooms available. If so you take a train to Poperinge from Brussels which is a cool town and take a Belbus to Watou. From their you can ride a bike or take a Belbus to In De Vrede to drink all the Westvletren you want. Poperinge and Watou are cool tiny towns on the French border. The B&B has a beer fridge free to drink from and just a great place in the middle of nowhere.

As nice as that sounds.   With two days I'd much rather spend them in a bigger city than waste two hours going to a B&B.  Maybe if I was with a special lady friend. 

There is one must you should do in Brussels if you are into beer. That is go to Cantillon Brewery. Beer nerds will hate you for going there without them.

Only  Lambic, Gueuze, and Kriek so you need to be into that stuff or at least willing to try.

• Like 1

There is one must you should do in Brussels if you are into beer. That is go to Cantillon Brewery. Beer nerds will hate you for going there without them.
Only  Lambic, Gueuze, and Kriek so you need to be into that stuff or at least willing to try.

They are also the best in the world at making these and go if you can. You can also get cheap as hell Delirium by the Grand Palace and a great beer store called Beer Palace close by.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:19 PM, WBT said:

Amsterdam, Brussels, Bruges, and Ghent are all great, you can't really go wrong with any of them.  Be sure to have some Westvleteren 12. 

can't speak for all the bars in belgium, but at Cafe Bizon in Brussels, one stands a pretty decent chance of getting the Westy.  

Dulle Griet in Ghent also had it and just about everything else I wanted to try.  Cash only.  You had to put a shoe in the basket as collateral to get one of the big Kwak yard glasses.

drink-max-schoen-uit.jpg

11043064_10152601282826207_2597803704773

Edited by WBT
pictures from interwebz, not mine

6 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

De Pijp

I read about this neighborhood.  It is pretty easy to transpo into the city center for entertainment?  NVM.  I just booked Mr. Jordaan in the Jordaan neighborhood.  Great reviews.  I'm just locking this on it but will keep hunting for a better deal as the date gets closer.  Thanks

Edited by midtown

• 2 months later...