2024 NFL Playoffs- Conference Championship Games

4 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Getting too caught up in being aggressive and a willingness to take risks got in the way of a proper coaching decision. 

Being a meat head. Being a dumbass, redneck aggy meat head. That’s all you had to say. All balls and no brains.

• Hook 'Em 3

God that was an agonizing gut-punch Lions defeat last night for me.  It was completely out of character for this year's Lions players to choke on really basic things like catching, tackling, and keeping contain over and over and over again the entire second half.  I guess I chalk it up to a complete lack of poise of a young team that had never been under such a bright spotlight.  I think they are set up well for the future but I've been around long enough to know they may well never get back there.  Offseason wish list starts with two NFL-caliber CBs.
I loved the two fourth down calls, the first one hit Josh Reynolds right in the hands. He catches it and the Lions are going to Las Vegas I think.  But the failed run on third down near the goal line on the Lions' last series was an inexcusable call.  It forced the Lions to burn one of their three timeouts and guaranteed they would never see the ball again.  Major coaching blunder by Dan Campbell/Ben Johnson.  Dammit.

I was ok on the first 4th down. The fucker has to catch it. I was less ok on the 2nd one as I thought you gotta tie it up. It would have been a respite from the onslaught. But if you’re going for it that was a shitbrained play.

The running play at the goal line was bad coaching, but why did Johnson get away from running the fucking ball which was tearing them up in the first half. And you gotta catch the fucking ball receivers.

1 hour ago, Horndog said:

There are many more factors at play than just the expected conversion percentage. The overall game situation affects the usefulness of the "analytics". In the middle of the 3rd quarter Campbell had the chance to create a three score lead by taking a FG, which would have negated the 49ers FG on the opening drive of the 2nd half. That is a no brainer and his decision to go for it is indefensible. Period. 

The "analytics" say to go for it on 4th and goal at the one yard line. But if there are 10 seconds left in a tie game is that the smart move? 

Getting too caught up in being aggressive and a willingness to take risks got in the way of a proper coaching decision. 

If you want to redefine "analytics" to "I made this up to argue against" then you are absolutely correct. Of course, actual analytics takes things like score and win probability increase (which incorporates time left in the game). This is not to say that any system should be fully relied on of course, as it doesn't know relative strengths of specific teams or health of specific players. But if you think any analytics systems says to go for it on 4th and goal with ten seconds left in a tie game, well, let's just say you may may be a perfect fit for the A&M AD position.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Context matters a lot. In baseball, if you need a single run against a power pitcher who doesnt field their position well, maybe a sacrifice bunt is the right play.

As the 49ers defense was tightening up their run D and your team was playing tight and sloppy, maybe that 60% go for it wasnt representative of what was happening down the stretch.

yes that is the point.  the analytics don't take that(feel) into account.  therefore if you are going to coach via analytics the only way to "win" via analytics is to follow them religiously.  

the whole analytics thing in football is kinda stupid IMO.  In baseball there is so much more data in a season(s) that the analytics do work somewhat.  It is why the shift was so devastating to hitters.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Olivia >>>Taylor

Claire Kittle  >>> Taylor

image.thumb.png.8fb2192f4b7de17bae3a54b8a428d4d6.png

What is that? 

Watching the NFC game in an Anchorage brewery was fun. I expected lots of 49er fans but there was a surprisingly large contingent of Detroit fans. They talked lots of crap and must have been thrilled at halftime. Slowly, their glee turned to dismay, and most of them left before the end, which was kinda dumb, since they missed the onsides kick attempt. Some very boisterous SF fans tried to take our table speaker, but we foiled their attempt.  A big storm blew through, which made getting back to our residence....interesting. Now I'm delayed getting home and hanging out in the AMEX lounge at SEATAC. Had two Mescal margaritas and now white wine. Life is good.      

Anchorage is an amazing place to visit. Don't be a pussy and go on some stupid summer cruise. Go in winter. It's breathtaking and there's so much to do! Plus, as I said earlier, their breweries are the best. Unlike so many Austin ones, they don't mess around with weird concoctions just to be original. Fuck that. In Alaska, they make a great beer that people love.   

My faves: 

1. Anchorage Brewing Company
  2. Midnight Sun Brewing Company
  3. Double Shovel
  4. Odd Man Rush Brewing - actually in Eagle River. My fave!
  5. 49th State Brewing Company! So good!!!!!!!!
  6. Glacier Brewhouse

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Confused Steve Kerr GIF by NBA

And I might be mixing up the lounges, but the Amex lounge in SeaTac is too small, but they do pour good drinks 

Nope. It's recently reopened upstairs. It's huge and nice! And yeah, they don't mess around w the drinks.  

Chiefs-Ravens is most-watched AFC Championship ever, with 55.47 million viewers

By

Mike Florio

Published January 30, 2024 10:32 AM

0 of 30 secondsVolume 0%

This year’s AFC Championship has become the champion of AFC Championships.

Via CBS, Chiefs-Ravens averaged 55.473 million viewers. It’s the most-watched AFC Championship ever.

It’s a 17-percent increase over last year’s comparable window. Which featured the quarterback-free (eventually) 49ers losing to the Eagles.

Coupled with even higher ratings for the Lions-49ers game on Fox, it bodes well for massive numbers on CBS, when the 49ers and Chiefs get together, again, for the Super Bowl.

As someone who was raised a Cowboy fan I honestly never thought the day would come where I wished anything but pain and misery for the 9ers, but here I am pulling for them to win. (Sorry dad)

I mean Longhorn head coach on one side, Mahomes/Kelsey/Tay Tay circus on the other. Since meteors never hit where we want, the choice is easy.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/28/2024 at 1:21 PM, Harrison Stafford said:

If Lamar Jackson stays healthy, this is Baltimore’s year to win it all.

On 1/28/2024 at 1:25 PM, Zeus said:

Tucker about to kick the game winner on these dopes

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8tvCt5E/

On 1/28/2024 at 1:26 PM, Zepol87 said:

Ravens got this shit!! Damn I’m nervous 

On 1/28/2024 at 1:36 PM, Sandman said:

As a 49er fan, I want to be optimistic but we haven't won shit in 30 years. I smell a loss coming today. Hope I'm wrong.

On 1/28/2024 at 2:14 PM, Helobious said:

This going to be a fucking blowout

Good call. 

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 6:52 PM, dcar00 said:

yes that is the point.  the analytics don't take that(feel) into account.  therefore if you are going to coach via analytics the only way to "win" via analytics is to follow them religiously.  

the whole analytics thing in football is kinda stupid IMO.  In baseball there is so much more data in a season(s) that the analytics do work somewhat.  It is why the shift was so devastating to hitters.

Mike Florio made a great point....for all the people saying that he was "being aggressive, staying true to his nature", i'd rather be unpredictable than aggressive. "Being aggressive" is such a cop out way to say you made an objectively bad decision if you're the coach.