Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

last thought on this.

Working from home

pros:

- save so much fucking money: gas money, new clothes, dry cleaning, going out to lunch, wear and tear on your vehicle, car breaking down earlier, new tires earlier. put all that money towards hobby or retirement so that you can retire earlier.

- better physical and mental health: eat better because you aren't eating out, sleep an extra 1-1.5 hours longer, more time to work out/pursue hobbies, less office bullshit drama, more time spent being away from work

- MORE TIME 

cons:

- less strange pussy, which for married men is a pro

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

When I think about having to physically go to an office for work, what would make me apprehensive is having to shit in a public restroom. That, and planning lunch.  A commute at rush hour would suck but I could deal with it with a comfortable ride, tunes and/or a podcast.
The thing I'd be wary of as an employer is that times have changed, many of my competitors (for employees) don't require daily 9 to 5 attendance, and if I wanted to retain key talent a policy like that would be akin to shooting myself in the foot.

Shit on a different floor of the building.

Lunch is a pita.

I don't understand why anyone puts their own opinions as the right answer for everyone, or pushes back too hard on compromise positions. I used to be 100% in the office and I'm now 20% required in the office but I can work there any day I want.

One thing I would add is that if someone is in their early 20s, I wouldn't just opt to work from home because it eliminates your commute. Your first jobs out of college are where you establish some of your adult friendships and relationships. Not going into the office doesn't mean that you become some friendless incel but you're also limiting your social life, even if you don't realize it.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Shit on a different floor of the building.

Lunch is a pita.

But the different floor does not have a toto washlet either. Therefore, take that the job and shove it up your dirty ass, Elon.

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

One thing I would add is that if someone is in their early 20s, I wouldn't just opt to work from home because it eliminates your commute. Your first jobs out of college are where you establish some of your adult friendships and relationships. Not going into the office doesn't mean that you become some friendless incel but you're also limiting your social life, even if you don't realize it.

This is true. Having a mentor is important. But one that a large business can work around. Remote working ups the importance of having a good coach on your team.

Edited by Chopper

This Utopia reminds me of when I worked for a famous company at 1400 Smith Street... they stuffed 8 of us in tiny cubes in a conference room.  

Yes, they were even named as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work for in America" by Fortune.  Good times.

Office Workers Cubicles

45 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Tesla doesn't have to worry about that. Did you not read @52-80's survey of...checks notes...college students?

New poll conducted by hollywooddolt discovers tesla’s core team are applying en masse to engineer battery packs for the next Chrysler Pacifica

18 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Get back to work so you can collaborate!!!!  

Here's How To Find Happiness While Working In A Cubicle All Day | Inc.com

Keeping Track of Your Employees | Business Planz

Why Nobody Will Miss 'Open Office' Designs | Transmedia Newswire

It's not a cubicle, it's a shared workspace!! 

When I was in corporate America, we made the switch from offices to open floor plan or shared workspace. Watching the olds lose their offices and whine like fucking toddlers was hilarious. Mainly because the biggest whiners were ones who spent hours bullshitting in their offices and not doing any fucking work. I hated when those asshole would drop by to my office to "catch up". Now, the olds might be losing their sole reason to escape their family, and are predictably whining like toddlers. 

• Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I will admit that if my family was home all summer I’d absolutely be in the office.  Love them all dearly but I can’t handle the I Want Machines while trying to work

That absolutely makes sense and is a strong reason to maintain at least some office space if a role is WFH'able. Lol for "the I want machines" that's pretty good

When my wife and I were both WFH it was pretty cozy, I couldn't imagine a couple of kiddos running around too adding to the chaos. 

Just now, 6th Street said:

For the 100% remote people - do you travel frequently to break up the monotony? And how are you dealing with zoom fatigue?

I take my dogs on walks, I run out on small errands in between calls when I can, I shitpost on surly, and I usually spend 2 days a week out of the house which helps too. I'm not required to be anywhere so long as I'm getting my shit done. One of the sales execs I work with frequently goes to her cabin in Colorado because why the fuck not? The flexibility is AWESOME and is going to become the new normal, at least for tech

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Not going into the office doesn't mean that you become some friendless incel but you're also limiting your social life, even if you don't realize it.

This is a manipulation tactic that a lot of bad and culty workplaces use. They want your social life tied to your job so that you're extra afraid of being fired and won't ask for higher wages, better working conditions, and better benefits. Join a kickball league, go to trivia nights, or make friends at the gym. If you depend on the office to build friendships you're entering a world of pain.

• Hook 'Em 5

17 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

For the 100% remote people - do you travel frequently to break up the monotony? And how are you dealing with zoom fatigue?

fuck turning on the camera for zoom. our company was gung ho about cameras for a few months, now no one has camera on. fuck that.

On WFH or in the office, the operative factor is the industry and the job.  Even PARTS of a job some elements may be great for WFH/remotely, others much better in-person.

For example, I'm a litigator.  During COVID, EVERYTHING went remote, and we made it work, but in some ways, it was "making it work" like driving your car on 4 toy tire spares -- it can be done to limp along to your destination, but it's far from optimal.

We learned that some things can absolutely work great remotely: a lot of the writing we do, it's actually helpful to be in a quiet space; same with a tedious document review.  A lot of depositions (not all of them, but a lot of the smaller ones) work just fine remotely -- and as an added bonus, people don't have to travel if you have an out-of-town witness, lawyers in other cities, etc.

But other things are missing.  Obviously, being in a courtroom instead of on a screen is more effective.  It just is, because that's how humans interact best.  Additionally, a big part of my practice is the "he Brisket, you got a minute?" practice with my colleagues.  I'm one of the old-hand litigators, and when we're all together, people regularly just pop into my office with a question about this or that: how a particular deadline works, what the state of the law is on issue X, whether I've seen anyone have a fight over this kind of contract provision before, etc.  These are often 5-10 minute interactions, but they help us serve our clients better, using our collective experience and expertise.  They help make sure we're not missing something when we advise them, and they even help us generate business ("ummm, yeah, we need to call the client right now because I guarantee the other side is drafting up their petition, so we want to beat them to the punch").  That happened SOME when we were remote, but not enough.  People are just more inclined to take the time to do that in person rather than typing out an email or dialing the phone.  The difference is undeniable, and the "in person" interaction in that respect is superior.

And of course, there's the "young lawyer" learning process, which happens by being involved in calls and discussions, even if just in the hallway about a particular case.  That sort of thing happens a lot, and it's valuable in your personal development, as compared to staying home and working on an "island."

As a result, we are much more liberal about WFH than we were before (we had it before, because you functionally trust professionals to get their work done).  People routinely take a day each week to work from home.  We regularly take depositions by zoom from our office.  But we're MOSTLY in the office, and it has helped our practice tremendously - we were actually busier and billing more during the pandemic, but that was also a function of a cyclical workload.  The pandemic made it harder for us to put more work in the pipeline -- less client interaction, canceled conferences, and the like.

So, nothing is one-size-fits-all.  It depends on the industry, the job, the responsibilities, and other factors.  A blanket "no more WFH" doesn't make much sense, and neither does a "I don't want any job that ever makes me leave my house" approach for most people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

This is a manipulation tactic that a lot of bad and culty workplaces use. They want your social life tied to your job so that you're extra afraid of being fired and won't ask for higher wages, better working conditions, and better benefits. Join a kickball league, go to trivia nights, or make friends at the gym. If you depend on the office to build friendships you're entering a world of pain.

It's also entirely possible to grab beers after work with a coworker you don't sit next to all day.

13 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I maybe say about 5 words to my team when I’m in the office twice a week. They aren’t my friends. We are coworkers. 

On my WFH day, I can workout between calls, walk my dog, easier to schedule medical appointments, start dinner earlier than 5:00. On Fridays, I pick a coffee shop and do my mornings there. 

Guess who also gets to watch our first NCAA baseball regional game from his couch tomorrow at 1pm as long as my laptop is within reach? Me. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

On WFH or in the office, the operative factor is the industry and the job.  Even PARTS of a job some elements may be great for WFH/remotely, others much better in-person.

For example, I'm a litigator.  During COVID, EVERYTHING went remote, and we made it work, but in some ways, it was "making it work" like driving your car on 4 toy tire spares -- it can be done to limp along to your destination, but it's far from optimal.

We learned that some things can absolutely work great remotely: a lot of the writing we do, it's actually helpful to be in a quiet space; same with a tedious document review.  A lot of depositions (not all of them, but a lot of the smaller ones) work just fine remotely -- and as an added bonus, people don't have to travel if you have an out-of-town witness, lawyers in other cities, etc.

But other things are missing.  Obviously, being in a courtroom instead of on a screen is more effective.  It just is, because that's how humans interact best.  Additionally, a big part of my practice is the "he Brisket, you got a minute?" practice with my colleagues.  I'm one of the old-hand litigators, and when we're all together, people regularly just pop into my office with a question about this or that: how a particular deadline works, what the state of the law is on issue X, whether I've seen anyone have a fight over this kind of contract provision before, etc.  These are often 5-10 minute interactions, but they help us serve our clients better, using our collective experience and expertise.  They help make sure we're not missing something when we advise them, and they even help us generate business ("ummm, yeah, we need to call the client right now because I guarantee the other side is drafting up their petition, so we want to beat them to the punch").  That happened SOME when we were remote, but not enough.  People are just more inclined to take the time to do that in person rather than typing out an email or dialing the phone.  The difference is undeniable, and the "in person" interaction in that respect is superior.

And of course, there's the "young lawyer" learning process, which happens by being involved in calls and discussions, even if just in the hallway about a particular case.  That sort of thing happens a lot, and it's valuable in your personal development, as compared to staying home and working on an "island."

As a result, we are much more liberal about WFH than we were before (we had it before, because you functionally trust professionals to get their work done).  People routinely take a day each week to work from home.  We regularly take depositions by zoom from our office.  But we're MOSTLY in the office, and it has helped our practice tremendously - we were actually busier and billing more during the pandemic, but that was also a function of a cyclical workload.  The pandemic made it harder for us to put more work in the pipeline -- less client interaction, canceled conferences, and the like.

So, nothing is one-size-fits-all.  It depends on the industry, the job, the responsibilities, and other factors.  A blanket "no more WFH" doesn't make much sense, and neither does a "I don't want any job that ever makes me leave my house" approach for most people.

This.  Not every industry is the same.  As Lobbyist, it's actually a 1000x easier to get meetings with Hill Staff over zoom.  We can pop on/pop off and be down with our shit. No muss/no fuss.  But you lose the in person networking of fundraisers and receptions.  Overall, I am more productive remote, because as the primary shopper/home maintainer, it means I can spread out chores all week and still be productive, instead of wasting hours and hours at the office fucking around on the shag until the work day is over.   Instead, I carefully monitor my to do list, and stay on top of it instead of procrastinating. 

Everyone is different.

27 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

No way man, that’s some conspiracy theory stuff. A company would never deliberately create a culture centered around the idea that work and social life are one in the same in order to exploit their employees.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

This Utopia reminds me of when I worked for a famous company at 1400 Smith Street... they stuffed 8 of us in tiny cubes in a conference room.  
Yes, they were even named as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work for in America" by Fortune.  Good times.
Cubicles_2.jpg

Lolz. But everyone's badge had their first name in big letters. Hi GORDON. He's just like us.

51 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

As Lobbyist, it's actually a 1000x easier to get meetings with Hill Staff over zoom.  We can pop on/pop off and be down with our shit. No muss/no fuss.  But you lose the in person networking of fundraisers and receptions. 

I imagine it is harder to bribe our law makers over Zoom than in person.

10 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I imagine it is harder to bribe our law makers over Zoom than in person.

Lol.  I don't have bribe anyone.  With FEC vs. Cruz, I can legally donate money to a campaign, and the candidate can then loan the campaign personal money and have the campaign pay them back with interest.  No brown paper bag or brief case necessary.

But yes, if I'm going to drop off a check, I'd like some personal time with senior staff to discuss issues of concern for my client.

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Lol.  I don't have bribe anyone.  With FEC vs. Cruz, I can legally donate money to a campaign, and the candidate can then loan the campaign personal money and have the campaign pay them back with interest.  No brown paper bag or brief case necessary.

But yes, if I'm going to drop off a check, I'd like some personal time with senior staff to discuss issues of concern for my client.

How much to get a sit down with our Senators from Texas?

Complaining Jerry Stiller GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Again, it just amazes me seeing these posts from you, Mackelmore, and others that are cheerleading for a lower quality of life for workers.  Why?  What do you personally benefit from it?  Do y'all also root for workers to have higher health insurance deductibles and fewer vacation days?

Is it because you're on the back nine of your career/lives and you think that the younger generations shouldn't get something better that y'all didn't get the opportunity to have?

Also, the idea that Elon and others suggest when they claim people working from home are  "pretending to work" is kind of nonsense, too.  If I wasn't working, people would figure it out pretty quick.  If you can continue to not do your job and get away with it, you might not have a real job.  

Ideas and feels about fairness are deeply ingrained and are part of our monkey brain, literally. There’s not rational thinking. 

In a big organization, it’s worse for morale to give some people a 10 percent raise and some a 5 percent raise than it would be to give no raise at all to anyone. 

20 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If you worked at the office before Covid there is no reason you shouldn’t go back aside from being entitled. 

If I've proven that I'm more productive from home, there's no reason I should go back aside from upper management being entitled and middle management being scared that upper management will realize that middle management adds nothing of value.

14 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Elon has now announced that he has a “super bad” feeling about the economy, all hiring is paused worldwide, and Tesla headcount needs to be reduced by 10%.

imagine announcing that you are firing 10,000 people because of your "super bad" feeling about the economy lol

...2.5 weeks ago he made the decision to buy TWTR for $44 billion. guess this super bad feeling came on rather suddenly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Chopper said:

When I think about having to physically go to an office for work, what would make me apprehensive is having to shit in a public restroom

That's the best part about working in an office. Ripping diarrhea farts in the toilet while your pathetic underlings are in the restroom listening is an all time flex. 

Edited by StruggleBus

I had a favorable opinion about tesla cars, and a slightly negative opinion about musk (he just seemed erratic and untrustworthy, but nothing major) - until this year.. Now I understand TSLA is known for extremely subpar build quality, and that musk is a complete twat, high on the odor of his own farts.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

If I've proven that I'm more productive from home, there's no reason I should go back aside from upper management being entitled and middle management being scared that upper management will realize that middle management adds nothing of value.

This. My wife works from home and is a supervisor for about 20 employees in the insurance field. Almost all of her employees are female. All work from home. She mentioned to me a few months ago, that since women are usually the ones who pick up/drop off kids for school, what was once a nightmare to work around became a 10 minute deal.

If they have to pick up a sick kid, it's 15 minutes away from work instead of the afternoon. Same with Dr. appointments.

• Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

This. My wife works from home and is a supervisor for about 20 employees in the insurance field. Almost all of her employees are female. All work from home. She mentioned to me a few months ago, that since women are usually the ones who pick up/drop off kids for school, what was once a nightmare to work around became a 10 minute deal.

If they have to pick up a sick kid, it's 15 minutes away from work instead of the afternoon. Same with Dr. appointments.

Yeah one of the women I work with has been WAY more productive than ever, and she's actually gotten to be a good mom to her kids too. Just having the increased flexibility has made a world of difference for there to not be an expectation of being in the office at a set time every day

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Yeah but people like Macklemore/Icono don't fucking care about women. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yeah one of the women I work with has been WAY more productive than ever, and she's actually gotten to be a good mom to her kids too. Just having the increased flexibility has made a world of difference for there to not be an expectation of being in the office at a set time every day

Entitled Bitch

- @BurntOrange&White

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

I wouldn't say people like that don't care about women. They care about women in deeply unhealthy and potentially dangerous ways.

They don't care about women....in the workplace.  Except as a vehicle for sexual harassment. 

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?