Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Damned us dastardly critics for not wanting children to get run over by cars.

This isn’t politics, it’s technology. If you want a full self drive without pedals and a steering wheel then great, but that’s not reality (or legal) yet.  As manual operations are still around in EVERY street legal car in the US, if you step on the accelerator and drive towards something you will hit that something be be it child, tree, dog, or little old lady. Anyone who thinks this is somehow a valid argument against Elon/Tesla/self driving technology is an idiot.

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

I don't get it. If Elon Musk has "all" the leverage in these negotiations, then why does he appear to be caving? Is it pure altruism?

i assume the 94th lawyer he asked /hired said "you are fucked and going to have to do the deposition, and shit is going to come out that you don't want to, and then you are going to have to pay it all anyway and maybe pay damages on top of it"

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

This suit has been a distraction and he's falling behind on other critical tasks: he hasn't put out his customary 4 videos a year promising that self driving is all but guaranteed to be out by the end of this year, he wasnt able to impregnate any employees this year, and its been years since he lashed out and accused someone of being a pedo because they disagreed with him. With this behind him, he can get back to the basics. 

It's sad to see what he's become. He has turned into a con man who is addicted to being an ass on twitter. 

With all the negative publicity that Amazon has received, at least Bezos knows to stay the fuck quiet and don't be the news. Elon is in hold my beer mode.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It's sad to see what he's become. He has turned into a con man who is addicted to being an ass on twitter. 

With all the negative publicity that Amazon has received, at least Bezos knows to stay the fuck quiet and don't be the news. Elon is in hold my beer mode.

become?

the man has always been an ass.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

He's the Amber Heard of billionaire Tech moguls.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Well, who doesn't like to see the lawyers being the winners in all this as usual?

The key players:

Musk is represented by Skadden on the deal side and by Skadden and Quinn Emanuel in litigation. Top partners at the firms bill about $2,000 an hour. Lawyers estimated to DealBook that the firms could be charging about $30,000 to $40,000 an hour, or $5 million to $8 million a month. That means Musk could have paid about $50 million, plus perhaps another $50 million in the run-up to litigation.

Twitter relied on Wilson Sonsini and Simpson Thacher, where top partners also most likely bill about $2,000 an hour, for deal work. And for litigation it’s primarily relying on Wachtell, the blue-chip firm known in legal circles for its bespoke (and opaque) pricing, including hourly billing, flat fees and contingency deals. Depending on its arrangements, Wachtell could bring in $100 million to $200 million, lawyers estimate.

Between those firms alone, the Twitter case has probably already generated about $150 million to $300 million in fees. But then add in all of the other lawyers involved in litigation, depositions, the deal and more. And that figure could grow if this actually goes to trial, or otherwise goes awry.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Well, who doesn't like to see the lawyers being the winners in all this as usual?

The key players:

Musk is represented by Skadden on the deal side and by Skadden and Quinn Emanuel in litigation. Top partners at the firms bill about $2,000 an hour. Lawyers estimated to DealBook that the firms could be charging about $30,000 to $40,000 an hour, or $5 million to $8 million a month. That means Musk could have paid about $50 million, plus perhaps another $50 million in the run-up to litigation.

Twitter relied on Wilson Sonsini and Simpson Thacher, where top partners also most likely bill about $2,000 an hour, for deal work. And for litigation it’s primarily relying on Wachtell, the blue-chip firm known in legal circles for its bespoke (and opaque) pricing, including hourly billing, flat fees and contingency deals. Depending on its arrangements, Wachtell could bring in $100 million to $200 million, lawyers estimate.

Between those firms alone, the Twitter case has probably already generated about $150 million to $300 million in fees. But then add in all of the other lawyers involved in litigation, depositions, the deal and more. And that figure could grow if this actually goes to trial, or otherwise goes awry.

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, Bookman said:

I don't get it. If Elon Musk has "all" the leverage in these negotiations, then why does he appear to be caving? Is it pure altruism?

I think he's just trying to stall and run out the clock so his financing guarantees expire, and then see if that allows him to back out of the deal that way. I haven't yet seen a response from twitter to musk's letter sent yesterday but I'm guessing twitter is going to tell him he needs to do more than kick the can down the road in order to get them to dismiss their existing lawsuit against him. The October hearing is twitter's strongest leverage against him right now, their suit is proceeding very well, and they're not going to give that up for his worthless promises.

Edited by Chopper

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/05/technology/elon-musk-twitter-discount.html

In the weeks before Elon Musk declared that his bid to own Twitter was back on the table, his representatives spoke with the company several times about redoing the deal at a lower price, four people familiar with the discussions said.

Mr. Musk sought a discount of as much as 30 percent, three of the people said, a proposal that would have valued the company at roughly $31 billion. Twitter rebuffed the proposal, said the people, who requested anonymity because the talks were confidential.

In the past week, however, discussions narrowed to a discount of about 10 percent, which would have allowed Mr. Musk to pay about $39.6 billion for Twitter. Those talks ultimately did not move forward. Twitter’s market cap as of Wednesday was $39.2 billion.

The talks took place just weeks before a scheduled showdown in a Delaware courtroom to determine whether Mr. Musk must follow through with the $44 billion Twitter takeover bid he launched in April. He indicated in July that he no longer wished to buy the social media company, citing what he said was an uncontrollable spam problem. Twitter sued him to force the deal through.

13 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

The key players:

yeah there's a shit load money sloshing around making its way to the lawfirms. 

stock price hasn't confirmed consummation of $54 acquisition yet, so it still reflects some risk of a mild discount for expediency, or falling out in some other fashion.

the deposed transcripts are interesting.  elon indexes on building things in software and dislikes parag and twitter team for going slow and keeping status quo.  jack dorsey confirms all of those things about parag/mgmt/board.  morgan stanley suggests some candidates to help with the transition and he shot them down for being milquetoasts. 
image.png.5381f3b623701fe657dd547f4787fd0d.png

May 13th he publicly announced the deal was on pause

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Imagine being this wrong and then doubling down on it. Elon is ignoring the actual vote of the people in 1991, before Russia started flooding the region with pro Russian people, killing, torturing, etc. 

Good thing ol' Elon wasn't in charge at the time or we would have the United States and the Confederate States of America; and what parts of Texas would still be part of Mexico. And in today's environment we could just split into the Blue States of American and the Red States of America (I'll go show my self to the CR)

His is a very immature simplified view of the world

Elon is any one of us that wake up hungover and look at the large credit card receipt from the bar.  You can wish you didn't have to pay it but you have no choice.

He agreed to buy Twitter and already had a good idea about their bot problem. I'm sure he paid large amount to lawyers to tell him he was screwed. If he fought it, he would be deposed to the nth degree and the court would decide against him. He probably could have negotiated a $20-30B walk-away fee which would have been a worse mistake.

Now the question is how does Twitter start to earn revenue to make the annual debt service? The current business model won't do that. Either Elon will have to pump his own billions into it or start to charge customers.  Both are risky options. 

19 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

The key players:

Did you write that?

Twitter was right to reject it, of course.  Elon was also right that Twitter fundamentally misrepresents the value of their company to lenders and investors.  Of course, so does every other tech company, including those run by Elon.

I don't know what the next chapter in humanity holds, but I'm ready for the era of modern tech companies and their complete lack of creating anything of value to humanity to run its fucking course. Elizabeth Holmes is about to be sentenced (maybe) for doing exactly what all of those pieces of shit do.

• Like 1

kanye is sick but Elon is on meth. 

all the signs are there. 

he was sliding before he met grimes but I'm willing to bet she introduced him to the bad stuff. 

and no one can police him. it's amazing to watch a drug addled dude richer than god pontificate on Twitter.  it's also sad. 

but I'm here for the show. the man lands rockets and launched his car into space for crissakes. 

imagine what he could accomplish without the drugs. 

On 10/9/2022 at 9:19 AM, hayden_horn said:

kanye is sick but Elon is on meth. 

all the signs are there. 

he was sliding before he met grimes but I'm willing to bet she introduced him to the bad stuff. 

and no one can police him. it's amazing to watch a drug addled dude richer than god pontificate on Twitter.  it's also sad. 

but I'm here for the show. the man lands rockets and launched his car into space for crissakes. 

imagine what he could accomplish without the drugs. 

I've never seen a fat meth head, but ok

• Like 1

Musk has been fairly straight forward about what makes him seem strange to most folks.  He's ASD Level 1.  I think there are likely some other things going on there, including and importantly the general eccentricity that would happen to anyone who gets that rich, but autism explains a lot of his behavior that many have trouble understanding.  It doesn't excuse anything at all, but as the father of an autistic son I can definitely see where Elon's neurological wiring can make him seem like a jerk when he's just genuinely responding as he sees things.   The more interesting thing to me is the neurotypical folks who hear some of his more autism-driven comments and nod their heads in agreement.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cornpop said:

I've never seen a fat meth head, but ok

my sis managed. but she was sadly on all kinds of stuff. she was also poor, not a multi-billionaire. 

24 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Musk has been fairly straight forward about what makes him seem strange to most folks.  He's ASD Level 1.  I think there are likely some other things going on there, including and importantly the general eccentricity that would happen to anyone who gets that rich, but autism explains a lot of his behavior that many have trouble understanding.  It doesn't excuse anything at all, but as the father of an autistic son I can definitely see where Elon's neurological wiring can make him seem like a jerk when he's just genuinely responding as he sees things.   The more interesting thing to me is the neurotypical folks who hear some of his more autism-driven comments and nod their heads in agreement.

this makes sense. 

but i really think there's some drugs going on. he used to think less tactically and more strategically. he's lost all long term repercussions in his thinking. that's someone waiting for the next high.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

my sis managed. but she was sadly on all kinds of stuff. she was also poor, not a multi-billionaire. 

this makes sense. 

but i really think there's some drugs going on. he used to think less tactically and more strategically. he's lost all long term repercussions in his thinking. that's someone waiting for the next high.

I agree that this aspect would indicate some type of substance issue.  Alcohol and weed both reduce ability to consider long term consequences as well, so it could be as banal as one of those two.

17 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

this makes sense. 

That's not a thing Elon has ever had. He's been a wealthy narcissist his entire life.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

no, he's always been like this.  it's just since he's taken the mantel as world's richest man that he's gotten more publicity.  

So, Elon is discussing things with Putin now, and in effect, being the voice of Putin by stating what outcomes Putin wants with his "special military operation".

But rest assured, the Tesla fanboys will rush to defend this breathlessly.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ake44z/elon-musk-vladimir-putin-ukraine

Elon Musk spoke directly with Russian President Vladimir Putin before tweeting a proposal to end the war in Ukraine that would have seen territory permanently ceded to Russia, it has been claimed.

In a mailout sent to Eurasia Group subscribers, Ian Bremmer wrote that Tesla CEO Musk told him that Putin was “prepared to negotiate,” but only if Crimea remained Russian, if Ukraine accepted a form of permanent neutrality, and Ukraine recognised Russia’s annexation of Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia.

According to Bremmer, Musk said Putin told him these goals would be accomplished “no matter what,” including the potential of a nuclear strike if Ukraine invaded Crimea, which Russia annexed in 2014. Bremmer wrote that Musk told him that “everything needed to be done to avoid that outcome.”

Last week, Musk posted essentially the same points on Twitter, although he suggested that the referendums in the annexed territories slammed as sham votes by Ukraine and the West be redone under supervision by the United Nations.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?