Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If I was an employee there today, I would be doing next to nothing. Even if I didn't normally go into the office, I would today just to check out the scene. 

Based on the fact they have a reported 7,500 employees I would say that is the typical day for majority of them anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Anyone remember the fun drama around Net Neutrality just a few years ago?

How it would tear apart the threads of democracy? And stifle access to education on the internet? And block dissident voices and suppress racial and social justice? 

Remember how all that handwringing totally came to fruition? me neither

Much of the internet reaction is basically *oh no, a guy i dont like bought a thing that i also dont like!*

My guy, eat my ass if you think we're out of the woods with net neutrality. We have monopoly ISP's zero-rating their own content to disadvantage competitors and exploit their ownership of the network stack. It IS a problem, and there is an ongoing effort by you and yours to redefine what is and isn't acceptable to teach in schools, up to and including that there's #bothsides to the civil war and holocaust. 

Elon and Twitter don't make a shit about the internet as a whole. It's just one website out of billions. There is nothing novel about their technology or architecture, just simply that they have a large audience. Elon bought an audience, just like how Eskimo hut bought an audience. 

I'm curious to see if Elon ends up shaggy'ing Twitter

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I get the impression that Elon is so annoyed at employees who refuse to come in, coming into the office today and acting like Peter might get you promoted to Director or VP. 

Shouldn’t he fire himself now, or is he a full time onsite Twitter worker despite SpaceX/Tesla?  Thought he said remote workers should find a new job.  

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

-he's broadly right for favoring de-escalation (im personally also antiwar)

-he's specifically wrong for not castigating putin as the unprovoked aggressor

-he's ill-advised to have commented on hot button political topic (although it is on brand...)

how do you feel?

there's also a bit where it appeared he publicly razzed russia over their military failure in bakhmut, which people ran with as proof of russian support/complicity... which is emblematic of how rabid the maelstrom is over every thing he says/does.

Is your position that Ukraine should negotiate with Putin to, in your words, de-escalate? Would you recommend the same if Trudeau decided to invade Minnesota and declare it a part of Canada?

10 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Shouldn’t he fire himself now, or is he a full time onsite Twitter worker despite SpaceX/Tesla?  Thought he said remote workers should find a new job.  

It's almost like top executives don't actually contribute to the regular completion of work, and leverage that to get multiple executive roles and pursue opportunities in parallel while preventing their underlings from exercising the same agency and liberty 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

-he's broadly right for favoring de-escalation (im personally also antiwar

His proposed conditions for "de-escalation" were:

• Ukraine forever gives up any claim to Crimea and guarantees access and water rights to the peninsula.
  • Ukraine agrees to never join NATO and remain politically and militarily neutral with regard to Russia.
  • UN oversees a set of do-over referenda in the recently-annexed-at-gunpoint territories to see if they "really" want to join Russia.

For all of that, what does Russia give up? Kamikaze drone attacks on Kyiv? Limits on the amount of appliances their drunken conscripts can pilfer from bombed out villages?

Apart from maybe the 3rd bullet, in what manner would Russia's maximum ask differ from what Musk proposed? 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

The thread title asks if Musk a “Visionary or Fraud?” You just want the visionary information or the fraud information?

that question was being discussed rationally for a long time until a few posters decided to jump in and ruin it.  now there's a lot of commentary back and forth irrelevant to the initial topic.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

“De-escalation” while an invader still holds a huge chunk of your territory = “surrender that territory.”
This isn’t a naval battle, or brinksmanship. It’s an invasion. Imagine proposing “de-escalation” if Mexico had invaded Texas and still held 1/3 of it. Just nuts.

how dare he not propose the solution to world peace!

I literally said he’s (a) wrong for not excoriating russia and (b) shouldnt be speaking on the topic at all.

But hes not the leader of the armed forces - i dont expect him to provide a plan for the conflict.  Why would you? And if you take umbrage with his opinions on it, whats your solution for solving it?

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wouldn’t his financing deal be structured with non-Twitter assets as collateral? I don’t see someone loaning him billions just so he can put that debt on twitter’s balance sheet to either declare bankruptcy or hand over a worthless company to the creditors.

if/when this goes belly up, Elon is selling or handing over some of his Tesla stock. Or spacex shares.

or maybe he can make something with Twitter but that isn’t happening with just dropping moderation. That won’t increase ad revenue, and possibly decreases it. 

Part of the initial financing plans included personal loans to Elon for which he'd pledge Tesla shares as collateral. After reading up on some of the details this morning, it appears that he abandoned that plan and sold off some of his Tesla shares to put more cash in than he'd originally planned.  So it looks like all of the debt in this deal is Twitter's. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

“De-escalation” while an invader still holds a huge chunk of your territory = “surrender that territory.”
This isn’t a naval battle, or brinksmanship. It’s an invasion. Imagine proposing “de-escalation” if Mexico had invaded Texas and still held 1/3 of it. Just nuts.

Hot Sauce Crying GIF by First We Feast: Hot Ones

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, royiv said:

Is your position that Ukraine should negotiate with Putin to, in your words, de-escalate? Would you recommend the same if Trudeau decided to invade Minnesota and declare it a part of Canada?

At a high level Russia is the aggressor and their government should suffer punitive damages.  At a practical level, my position on that (and 98% remainder of geopolitics) is the same as that on baseball: dont care. 

You or your pastor or your FIL or your CFO can pontificate on it as much as you want, its your right to do it, and none of my personal interest. 

Thats what you were getting at?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

At a high level Russia is the aggressor and their government should suffer punitive damages.  At a practical level, my position on that (and 98% remainder of geopolitics) is the same as that on baseball: dont care. 

You or your pastor or your FIL or your CFO can pontificate on it as much as you want, its your right to do it, and none of my personal interest. 

Cool. Cool. Good to know that you don't care about the lives of innocent people. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Cool. Cool. Good to know that you don't care about the lives of innocent people. 

And you expect me to do exactly what about it? Add a UKR flag avatar and send Thoughts and Prayers?

Russia is in the wrong for initiating the war.  Said that since day 1 on the 500 page RU-UKR. 

But, wow, sorry for not participating in your daily hug circle. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

And you expect me to do exactly what about it? Add a UKR flag avatar and send Thoughts and Prayers?

Russia is in the wrong for initiating the war.  Said that since day 1 on the 500 page RU-UKR. 

946 pages. Shows how long since you visited. 

Deescalation is easy. Putin calls his commanders and says troops come home. Done. Easy. Bet you thought Chamberlain did great at Munich. 

• Hook 'Em 2

“If you personally dont broadcast a strategy for russia in ukraine or justin trudeau hypothetically in minnesota, you support the kidnapping of thousands of children”. 

Great inferences, guys.  No wonder immamac loves letting CR spill everywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 5
  • Drool 1

Just now, 52-80 said:

Fuck off. You literally said you don't care. I don't give a shit about T&P's, but to say you don't give a shit is a shitty stance. I get that you love humping your Tesla, but maybe disconnect Elon's dick from your mouth and acknowledge that the two of you are shitheads for not respecting the lives of innocent Ukrainians.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

“If you personally dont broadcast a strategy for russia in ukraine or justin trudeau hypothetically in minnesota, you support the kidnapping of thousands of children”. 

The strategy for Russia in Ukraine is to GTFO. Do you really think that's CR?

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

There is a forum where you can complain that we are meanies. Now back to Musk. Above post where he is congratulated by a very senior member of Putin's team should make you wonder about certain things. Like if Elon goes into business with them, he gets hammered by sanctions. That would be fun to see. 

New Tesla, with the features of an old Lada. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

Fuck off. You literally said you don't care. I don't give a shit about T&P's, but to say you don't give a shit is a shitty stance. I get that you love humping your Tesla, but maybe disconnect Elon's dick from your mouth and acknowledge that the two of you are shitheads for not respecting the lives of innocent Ukrainians.

I prefer Russia not do what they did. I prefer as the status quo no war.

But im not a soldier or a politician. I dont have the imperative or influence to do anything of consequence beyond that.  

My interest in this thread is the biz-finance side of things  

What the fuck are you doing  personally to judge other people w.r.t. the war? 

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I really believe that a lot of what Elon Musk does, is because he gets off on people he sees in the news tweeting at him and engaging with him. Like his ongoing convos with Dmitri Medvedev. People do weird fucking things to get acknowledged by power, even completely grotesque power. Shades of Dennis Rodman in Pyongyang and a similar level of thoughtfulness. 

This.  Our human obsession at worshipping narcissists for doing pathetic narcissist shit is something I'll never understand.  Treating a huge character flaw as an admirable trait is some fucked up shit.

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

you're a fuckwad.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I dunno, man.  If you said "I'm not a soldier or politician, so what's it to you if I support the Nazi regime and the Final Solution?"......I think I'd judge you.  No, correct that - I would definitely judge you.  I'd do the same if you said "I'm not a soldier or politician, so what the Nazis are doing is no concern of mine."  Yeah.  I'm pretty comfortable with my take here.

Elon is sticking his dick in the mashed potatoes wrt Russia because it feeds his narcissist brain.  That's it.  That's the whole story.  That he happens to do great damage by doing so....he gives zero fucks about.  So, people who choose to feed their ego at the risk/expense of the well-being of other human beings....is something I dislike.  My take shouldn't be particularly controversial, yet here we are.

Well, he's also doing it because he feels an affinity with Putin. Both of them think it's good and right for the rich and powerful to simply take what they want and they think there should be no legal or even social checks on people like them doing whatever they want.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, royiv said:

The strategy for Russia in Ukraine is to GTFO. Do you really think that's CR?

CR is about allegiance-based mudslinging you’re provoking right now. 

You asked what I think Elon thinks about Putin. I answered he’s wrong for not condemning Putin. 

But beyond that, I dont LARP as a military advisor. And for not pledging fealty to a team you start insulting me…

Great game, politics is fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

@BrisketexanThis!

Meanwhile being asked to take down something the US government is partially funding (numbers jump around) to support his vodka swilling, atrocity creating, hard bass listening fan bois. Yeah, if you don't care you are an appeaser. 

Question. Did the Biden Admin ask him to engage with the Russians? If not, perhaps we should look at his clearances. I am sure the stock owners would love that, and since old 52-80 really only cares about the finance side he might give a damn. 

And no, very few of us LARP in anything. But we no the side of right. Elon is wrong for engaging at all. Fine, don't care and enjoy counting bit coin. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, StruggleBus said:

"Far left extremists" at war with the king of electric vehicles. I didn’t see that one on the 2022 bingo card. The 2020’s are fucking wild right now. 

What I find amusing is the characterization of anyone who doesn't have Elon's jizz dripping from their chin as "far left extremists."  That's where we are.  If you think Elon is a narcissist tool, you are necessarily a black-clad antifa warrior or somesuch.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I dunno, man.  If you said "I'm not a soldier or politician, so what's it to you if I support the Nazi regime and the Final Solution?"......I think I'd judge you.  No, correct that - I would definitely judge you.  I'd do the same if you said "I'm not a soldier or politician, so what the Nazis are doing is no concern of mine."  Yeah.  I'm pretty comfortable with my take here.

What are you doing morally, or substantively, that impacts the actual war differently from what im doing?  

There must be something concrete that makes 1 party a hero and the other a nazi. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, royiv said:

Please explain to me what is political about being against the slaughter of innocent human beings just trying to go about their daily lives.

Well, in one sense, it is inherently political to support a people's right to self determination.  Of course, it's also political to oppose it.  That hasn't really been the definition used to distinguish between CR/no CR on Surly, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?