Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I didn’t have a MySpace. So no opinion on it.

....making my point for me.

Just now, MeerkatBong said:

Briskettexan.

I used the word "mesmerized." I think that's still appropriate.

And no, at the end of the day, I don't think it's enjoyable.  The livelihood of real human beings is going up in smoke.  A means of communication that can be and has been used for good is at risk going forward.  "Destroying shit" I don't generally find enjoyable, unless we're talking about what Texas is doing to an opposing offensive line, or we're talking about what I do to a 3 piece spicy chicken meal from Popeyes....or the shitter afterwards.

I've got my schadenfreude as to Elon....but I find this whole shitshow to be quite regrettable as a whole.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

....making my point for me.

I used the word "mesmerized." I think that's still appropriate.

And no, at the end of the day, I don't think it's enjoyable.  The livelihood of real human beings is going up in smoke.  A means of communication that can be and has been used for good is at risk going forward.  "Destroying shit" I don't generally find enjoyable, unless we're talking about what Texas is doing to an opposing offensive line, or we're talking about what I do to a 3 piece spicy chicken meal from Popeyes....or the shitter afterwards.

I've got my schadenfreude as to Elon....but I find this whole shitshow to be quite regrettable as a whole.  

Generally agree, but like I said, the guy bought it so he can do with it what he wants up to and including blowing it up (along with a massive amount of his own wealth). In that respect this is ridiculous and funny.

While admittedly it is hard for me to muster a lot of sympathy for Twitter employees, ultimately you are correct. These are people who are having to go through a disruptive time and potential disruption in employment in a volatile time. I have to dig a bit deeper than you do, but the empathy for them is there.

As far as the whining journalists and celebrities and influencers/content creators, I could not give less a crap that their favorite medium is a tire fire. There are others and society will move on (and it’s a net positive to do away with social media, one application at a time).

Edited by MeerkatBong

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

For the non-physicists, non-engineers among us (like Elmo), here's how the end will likely come.

It's a loooooong thread here's the beginning and the unroll https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1593541177965678592.html

See, what Elon needs to do is be a free speech absolutist and then execute a Brexit of Twitter to get out of the clutches of the Deep State and start doing all Twitter transactions in........

......CRYPTO!

Duh.  You're just not a brain-genius like Elon.  Those of us who have done the research know that he is the Most Brilliant God on High, and he has our total allegiance, because we're not soyboys.

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So Musk is destroying Twitter. Can we make him CEO of Facebook and LinkedIn too, asap? 

Zuck seems to be destroying Facebook just fine himself, albeit slower than Musk. It is incredibly funny to me that in Twitter's apparent demise nobody is considering Facebook as an alternative.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

I’m enjoying it immensely, you weirdo. I also like calling him Elmo as we’ve done, because Elon Musk is not my standard.

Among the several names the twitter emps called Elmo on the scrolling message on Twitter HQ last night was "Space Karen" and I'm pretty sure that's the new standard.

SPACE-KAREN-ON-TWITTER-EXPLAINED-HOW-DID

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Zuck seems to be destroying Facebook just fine himself, albeit slower than Musk. It is incredibly funny to me that in Twitter's apparent demise nobody is considering Facebook as an alternative.

They are basically two completely separate ecosystems at this point. Nobody worth a shit wants to be on lame ass Facebook.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

I think because they serve fundamentally different communication patterns, by design. I hear Mastadon is the new Twitter?

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

I suspect they don't mind paying, IF twitter is awesome. But that's not the case, Twitter is already full of sewage and laying off everyone only threatens to make it worse.

It's like offering me a premium cable service.....that only shows Caillou. 

Oh fuck that Caillou bullshit.  I've served my time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Among the several names the twitter emps called Elmo on the scrolling message on Twitter HQ last night was "Space Karen" and I'm pretty sure that's the new standard.

SPACE-KAREN-ON-TWITTER-EXPLAINED-HOW-DID

Tbh, I lost all respect for the guy when he simp’ed over Grimes, a mediocre talent who looks like a homeless meth addict. That was the sign that he wasn’t the genius we thought he was, and here we are.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

They are basically two completely separate ecosystems at this point. Nobody worth a shit wants to be on lame ass Facebook.

when facebook appeared in my life, it told me the name of the girl down the hall who I saw at orientation and wanted to have sex with. It let me message her, which in short order allowed me to sex her.

lets see what the first thing is that comes up when I load up that tab that once upon a time always sat there open....

Two posts about my 6 year old nephew's birthday and a picture from a  family friend with her daughter seeing "Six" for the second time.

What I'm hearing from you is that it is Facebook that is the cause of this lameness, and this jibes with my understanding of things.

• Hook 'Em 1

Verge: Elon Musk begins reinstating banned Twitter accounts, starting with Jordan Peterson and the Babylon Bee

re-instated are Peterson (banned in July), Babylon Bee (March) and Kathy Griffin (11 days ago, banned for impersonating Musk)

It’s unclear whether more reinstatements are imminent, particularly for the still-suspended former President Donald Trump, who recently launched his campaign to regain the presidency. Musk said the decision concerning Trump’s ban “has not yet been made.”

Spoiler

Elon Musk begins reinstating banned Twitter accounts, starting with Jordan Peterson and the Babylon Bee

/

The decision comes after widespread resignations among the platform’s critical engineering staff.

Nov 18, 2022, 1:17 PM CST|

Share this story

•  
  •  
  •  

Elon Musk, with a background of Twitter badges
Illustration by Kristen Radtke / The Verge; Photo: Getty Images

Elon Musk has begun reinstating Twitter accounts that were previously subject to lifetime bans, taking the first steps toward his promise of lighter moderation on the platform. Announced Friday, the first affected accounts belong to author Jordan Peterson, comedian Kathy Griffin, and conservative parody outlet The Babylon Bee.

Notably, two of the three accounts were banned because of tweets misgendering trans people. Peterson was banned in July for tweets misgendering trans actor Elliot Page, which he said he would “rather die” than delete. The Babylon Bee was banned in March for similar tweets misgendering Rachel Levine, a trans woman currently serving as US assistant secretary of health.

Notably, The Babylon Bee was one of the outlets mentioned in Musks’s text messages, which were released as part of his court case.

The third account, belonging to the comedian Kathy Griffin, was banned only 11 days earlier as part of Musk’s push against impersonation. Griffin had impersonated Musk as part of a tweet about the midterm elections. At the time, Musk said Griffin would be allowed back onto the platform if she paid the $8 fee for Twitter Blue.

Kathie Griffin, Jorden Peterson & Babylon Bee have been reinstated.

Trump decision has not yet been made.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) November 18, 2022

It’s unclear whether more reinstatements are imminent, particularly for the still-suspended former President Donald Trump, who recently launched his campaign to regain the presidency. Musk said the decision concerning Trump’s ban “has not yet been made.”

Musk previously claimed that no major moderation decisions, including reinstatements, would be made until he assembled a content moderation council with “widely diverse viewpoints.” He did not mention the council in today’s announcement.

The reinstatements come at a moment of crisis for the platform, which has seen hundreds of employees resign in the wake of an ultimatum issued by Musk earlier this week. As a result of layoffs and ongoing attrition, the platform’s overall workforce has shrunk from 7,500 before the Musk acquisition to less than 3,000 ahead of Thursday’s deadline.

The departures have led to significant chaos within the company. After closing the offices on Thursday, Musk sent an email to the company’s software engineers saying, “Anyone who actually writes software, please report to the 10th floor at 2pm today.”

image.png.d99f004b83dab011269d784c3e43a139.png

also, remember how TWTR was closed until Monday? naw, son. Elon just sent this out.

Anyone who actually writes software, please report to the 10th floor at 2pm today.

Before doing so, please email me a bullet point summary of what your code commits have achieved in the past ~6 months, along with up to 10 screenshots of the most salient lines of code.

Thanks,

Elon

giphy.gif

edit: in a follow up email he encouraged people to fly to SF for this event.

edit2: more info

email #2 said ""These will be short, technical interviews that allow me to better understand the Twitter tech stack."

email 3 had to do with flights, see below:

image.png.97e0db9d475eed7f7da5375885894d1f.png

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Is Twitter down or somethin?

The dude just lost most of everyone he needed to put out the dumpster fire he created and you’re like “what’s the problem?”

Are you even paying attention to what’s happening?

Let me spell it out for you because you’re a smooth-brained bitch:

We are witnessing perhaps the most catastrophic takeover in the history of business. In 100 years they will still be using it as a case study in everything you don’t do when trying to turnaround a company you just purchased.

But you can’t see that because he told people to vote for republicans during the last election cycle.

Because you’re a smooth-brained bitch.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

The dude just lost most of everyone he needed to put out the dumpster fire he created and you’re like “what’s the problem?”
Are you even paying attention to what’s happening?
Let me spell it out for you because you’re a smooth-brained bitch:
We are witnessing perhaps the most catastrophic takeover in the history of business. In 100 years they will still be using it as a case study in everything you don’t do when trying to turnaround a company you just purchased.
But you can’t see that because he told people to vote for republicans during the last election cycle.
Because you’re a smooth-brained bitch.

So in like 2 weeks while you’re using Twitter to read info on the Ukraine/russia war, can I come back here and laugh at your pathetic ass?
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/technology/elon-musk-twitter-workers-quit.html

Some internal estimates showed that at least 1,200 full-time employees resigned on Thursday, three people close to the company said. Twitter had 7,500 full-time employees at the end of October, which dropped to about 3,700 after mass layoffs earlier this month.

One team known as Twitter Command Center, a 20-person organization crucial to preventing outages and technology failures during high-traffic events, had multiple people from around the world resign, two former employees said. The “core services” team, which handles computing architecture, was cut to four people from more than 100. Other teams that deal with how media appears in tweets or how profiles show follower counts were down to zero people.

Mr. Musk is also considering shuttering one of Twitter’s three main U.S. data centers, a location known as SMF1 in Sacramento, Calif., which is used to store information needed to run the social media site, four people with knowledge of the effort said. If the data center in Sacramento is taken offline, it will leave the company with data centers in Atlanta and Portland, Ore., with potentially less back up computing capacity in case something fails.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Huh. So who exactly is in charge of determining which tweets are negative? If twitter determines a tweet to be hateful and "deboosts" it, that sounds a lot like censorship. But that cant be, because Elon is against censorship. Oh well, I'm sure Elon has developed the perfect algorithm  to make those determinations, and has a sensible plan for implementation that will keep all of twitters users AND advertisers in a blissful state of nirvana. Because Elon knows all. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?