Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/1/23487746/twitter-digital-services-act-elon-musk-takeover-thierry-breton

A top European Union official has said that Twitter has “huge work ahead” to get ready for the bloc’s strict new rules for online platforms. Thierry Breton, the commissioner responsible for implementing the upcoming Digital Services Act (DSA), posted a short video clip of a meeting with CEO Elon Musk, saying that he welcomed Musk’s “intent to get Twitter 2.0 ready for the DSA.”

According to the Financial Times, Breton said Twitter needed to make a number of changes to meet the DSA’s requirements. It will need to “aggressively” tackle disinformation, submit to an audit, provide clear criteria about which users are at risk of being banned, and carefully consider how it lifts bans in the future. Breton posted a full “DSA Checklist,” via his Mastodon account, containing the rules he said Twitter will need to abide by.

Failing to comply with the DSA can result in an EU-wide ban or fines of up to 6 percent of global turnover when it comes into force, which Politico reports may not happen until early 2024. For his part, Musk is said to have called the DSA “very sensible” in his meeting with the commissioner. It’s at least the second time Musk has spoken with Breton after the EU official posted a video of the pair in May saying they were in agreement about the DSA.

Spoiler

However, some legal experts have questioned whether Twitter will have to abide by the strictest rules set out by the DSA. Twitter is yet to be officially designated as a “very large online platform,” or VLOP, which carries greater obligations for platforms with at least 45 million users in the EU. A European Commission spokesperson recently declined to confirm to TechCrunch whether Twitter will be designated as a VLOP.

The meeting between Breton and Musk comes as Twitter has publicly laid out its approach to moderation under its new ownership. In a blog post titled “Twitter 2.0: Our continued commitment to the public conversation,” the social media network said that while “none of our policies have changed,” it would be more willing to experiment in the future. “We believe that this open and transparent approach to innovation is healthy, as it enables us to move faster and gather user feedback in real-time,” the post reads.

But according to Twitter’s own support pages, it’s made at least one change to its moderation policies under Musk: ending the enforcement of its covid misinformation policy. That’s raised the ire of at least one EU official, European Commission vice president for values and transparency Věra Jourová, who told Politico that “in [her] view, Twitter now is jumping to the front of the queue of the regulators.” It suggests Twitter is now in the regulator’s crosshairs as it prepares to enforce the DSA.

With Twitter’s workforce having gone through a considerable downsizing after Musk’s purchase, the Financial Times reports that EU officials are raising questions about its ability to comply with its strict regulations in the future.

This is starting to feel like a guy who buys a bar thinking it'll be fun to sit around drinking with your friends, then realizes that there are financial and staffing hassles and you have to deal with a lot of belligerent drunks. I wonder if and when the novelty of his new toy will wear off and he realizes he can't unload it because he massively overpaid. The old shareholders have to be laughing their asses off watching this trainwreck from their brand new yachts courtesy of ol' Elmo.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

That Windows launch is still the all time whitest thing that has ever happened.

I was using OS/2 and DOS (for some games) at home at the time with a Linux box, while using Windows NT 3.5 and Linux at work, and I had recorded the Win 95 launch party off of some cable channel, and anytime friends were over and mentioned Windows 95, I’d pull out the VHS and say “look, these are your people!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MeerkatBong said:

first-ever electric Semi Truck to Pepsi today.

Let's see how it goes. His rep for build out and slow to non-existent repairs are going to be put to the test. Ford has been repairing Teslas? 

That's the number one complaint I hear. Shitty build integrity and awful service. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I didn't realize the amount of hassle and surveillance you sign up for if you buy that 15k$ tesla auto drive system.

Tesla has three methods to detect what it calls unsafe driving: 1) If you don’t tug on the steering wheel often enough. 2) Tesla has a camera just above the rear view mirror that is watching your face, and if you take your eyes off the road to look at the navigation/control screen to your right or look down at your phone for too long, you get dinged. It may even be able to tell if your eyes are closed. 3) You will also get immediately dinged if you exceed 85 mph while FSD Beta is engaged. If you persist with unsafe driving long enough, you get a forced disengagement. Five of these and you lose access to the software.

One thing I'm sure of these are all fool-proof in both over-protection and underprotection. /s

Edited by Chopper

35 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I didn't realize the amount of hassle and surveillance you sign up for if you buy that 15k$ tesla auto drive system.

One thing I'm sure of these are all fool-proof in both over-protection and underprotection. /s

Does autopilot still disengage immediately before a crash so they can say it wasn't engaged at the time of accident?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Monday Night Raw Yes GIF by WWE

When Zuckerberg jumps into the fray, I automatically side against him because of Facebook’s deliberate fucking around in the past. He fucking knows full well what has been done with the data they sold/provided.

And yeah, Facebook is pissed that Apple provided some privacy protections that cut off Facebook tracking/revenue, so their reasons are far from altruistic.

Only 12% growth instead of 36%. The horror! 

4 hours ago, NoName said:

Epic only charges 12% because of getting hacked off with the Apple iOS stuff and are trying to move the market because they make $$$ per day. IIRC it had some success with Steam making change.

regarding hurdles - yeah, you can pirate the shit out of a PC game to get around Steam/Epic/Itch/wherever, download an android APK from some random chinese site and hope it's just cracked and nothing else or do the same for a windows EXE if you choose to. if you think your parents or mine can easily sideload an APK from F-Droid you have another thing coming.

i am far from an apple fanboy but to act like they are the only ones being difficult here and making bank off of their 30% is is wrong.

i'm not bringing up piracy. 

again, there is a competitive market for software retailers on pc that doens't exist with iOS.  epic is free to sell games directly to customers on pc.  so are other vendors.  that's very difficult to do on apple.  apple is much more akin to comcast than to (ultimately) microsoft. 

epic has been at 12% since launch in december of 2018.  that appears to predate getting hacked off with the ios stuff. 

the bolded is a strawman. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

This is starting to feel like a guy who buys a bar thinking it'll be fun to sit around drinking with your friends, then realizes that there are financial and staffing hassles and you have to deal with a lot of belligerent drunks. I wonder if and when the novelty of his new toy will wear off and he realizes he can't unload it because he massively overpaid. The old shareholders have to be laughing their asses off watching this trainwreck from their brand new yachts courtesy of ol' Elmo.

So what you're saying is Elmo needs John Taffer to do a bar rescue on Twitter?

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

i'm not bringing up piracy. 

again, there is a competitive market for software retailers on pc that doens't exist with iOS.  epic is free to sell games directly to customers on pc.  so are other vendors.  that's very difficult to do on apple.  apple is much more akin to comcast than to (ultimately) microsoft. 

epic has been at 12% since launch in december of 2018.  that appears to predate getting hacked off with the ios stuff. 

the bolded is a strawman. 

i was wrong about the 88/12 split, so sorry there.

18 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don't worry, he's got you covered

Because we all know the FDA will be chomping at the bit to approve fucking brain implants in record time. And the irony that the hero of the “That god damn COVID vaccine got computer chips in it” movement wants to put computer chips in people. Fuck out of here with your fucking bullshit, Rocketboi.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

And the irony that the hero of the “That god damn COVID vaccine got computer chips in it” movement wants to put computer chips in people.

I honestly don’t believe that irony like that can exist in anything other than a simulation.

I do think Elon got that part right.

This is all too much.

Holy shit, that lawyer

And I know, I know, you're going to argue that my clients aren't entitled to what you promised them, for reasons that don't bear scrutiny. (We both know you're grasping at straws at this point). You're going to point to Section 6.)(c) of the Merger Agreement and argue that it says the employees aren't intended third party beneficiaries  and therefore can't enforce Section 6.9(2) ot the Merger Agreement, but that would be a mistake for so many reasons. Delaware law doesn't treat those sort of recitals as dispositive, and running through the three factor test for third party beneficiary status is going to favor my clients, not you. Twitter decided to include an arbitration clause in its employment agreements, and arbitration with JAMS specifically allows the Arbitrator to award any relief that is "just and equitable" and to be "guided by" the rules of law they "deem most appropriate." Under the circumstances, coming in and arguing "yeah, I promised this, but lol you can t make me actually do it' is unlikely to end well for Twitter.

Or you can double down on breaking your word and screwing over your ex-employees as they head into the holidays. If so, deposing you will be a joy, and you should
be aware that Washington law, among others that will apply, will allow us to obtain an award against you, personally, and not just Twitter the company.

" Under the circumstances, coming in and arguing "yeah, I promised this, but lol you can t make me actually do it' is unlikely to end well for Twitter."

"If so, deposing you will be a joy, and you should be aware that Washington law, among others that will apply, will allow us to obtain an award against you, personally, and not just Twitter the company."

@Brisketexan @TwiceHorn @Ghost of LL @'stache @Foosters etc. that seems like Elon is in the Fucking Around stage and headed towards the Finding Out stage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Holy shit, that lawyer

" Under the circumstances, coming in and arguing "yeah, I promised this, but lol you can t make me actually do it' is unlikely to end well for Twitter."

"If so, deposing you will be a joy, and you should be aware that Washington law, among others that will apply, will allow us to obtain an award against you, personally, and not just Twitter the company."

@Brisketexan @TwiceHorn @Ghost of LL @'stache @Foosters etc. that seems like Elon is in the Fucking Around stage and headed towards the Finding Out stage.

I don’t know fuck about the actual law, but gotdamn, I wish I could be this mouthy in a letter to the Hill. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

i'm actually not sure if he was banned, someone on twitter screenshotted his truth social post that says it is back in like 12 hours?

It may have started out as a suspension and then turned into a ban.  Musk ain’t suspending him for 12 hours after he was fucking around last night.  West was literally the toddler seeing what he could get away with.

Plus Musk has these words on his bedside table

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

One thing that occurs to me about Musk.  For whatever weird reasons, he inspires some insane kind of loyalty and admiration from certain people or types of people, but certainly not all, because it seems like the rest of the world finds him obnoxious, to say the least.

That "quality" of Musk may lend itself well to his founding successful start-ups, where "true believers"  or at least those that can tolerate him form the bulk of employees and management, in particular.  But that same quality means that acquiring a company that he did not found and is not populated by true believers is a whole other barrel of monkeys, particularly when accomplished in a hostile and contentious manner, even by M&A standards.

It has been referenced before, but I imagine that SpaceX and Tesla management have fine-tuned strategies for dealing with Musk.  He's probably going to have great difficulty doing that with twt or any other acquisitions he may make.

• Hook 'Em 3

So inciting violence really is a bannable offense?  It only if Elmo says it is to try and win back sponsors? Inciting violence is literally why trump was kicked off, and you can’t deny that that’s what he was doing, because they committed violence on Jan 6! The vax deniers were also inciting violence against Fauci and any public heath worker! How can a man who is supposedly so “brilliant” not foresee that “free speech absolutist” would never work on a worldwide platform if billions of people? Jesus, and people still worship this fuckstain. I hope Twitter burns to the ground for him. Unlikely but would be sweet to watch.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

barack obama GIF

I think posting the photo of a pale and chubby Elon is what started the process.

Good to know the CEO is personally handling content moderation.

Was thinking the same…all headlines are “Elon bans…” not “Twitter bans…”

Not a lawyer but I would think he’s opening himself up to personal liability by deciding who stays and who goes. Inevitably some sort of crazy violence is going to take place and he’s going to find himself wrapped up in the litigation.

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Was thinking the same…all headlines are “Elon bans…” not “Twitter bans…”

Not a lawyer but I would think he’s opening himself up to personal liability by deciding who stays and who goes. Inevitably some sort of crazy violence is going to take place and he’s going to find himself wrapped up in the litigation.

What surprised me is that he’s personally discussing it, because it’s pissing of his fanbois.

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Just looking at the time stamps on a lot of his tweets.  His literally spending 24/7 on Twitter.

good thing TSLA is chugging right along and aren't at a pivotal point for their entire business moving forward. no big deal!

Spoiler

I know Tech stocks in general are down but

• last 1 year, TSLA is down 45.8%
  • YTD down 51.9%
  • 6 months down 25.6%
  • 1 month down 10%.
  •  
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Maybe.

Tangentially related…

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/12/openai-invites-everyone-to-test-new-ai-powered-chatbot-with-amusing-results/amp/

On Wednesday, OpenAI announced ChatGPT, a dialogue-based AI chat interface for its GPT-3 family of large language models. It's currently free to use with an OpenAI account during a testing phase. Unlike the GPT-3model found in OpenAI's Playground and API, ChatGPT provides a user-friendly conversational interface and is designed to strongly limit potentially harmful output.

"The dialogue format makes it possible for ChatGPT to answer followup questions, admit its mistakes, challenge incorrect premises, and reject inappropriate requests," writes OpenAI on its announcement blog page.

So far, people have been putting ChatGPT through its paces, finding a wide variety of potential uses while also exploring its vulnerabilities. It can write poetry, correct coding mistakes with detailed examples, generate AI art prompts, write new code, expound on the philosophical classification of a hot dog as a sandwich, and explain the worst-case time complexity of the bubble sort algorithm... in the style of a "fast-talkin' wise guy from a 1940's gangster movie.”

1DC088C8-03ED-4194-B940-A16263800D0B.jpeg

• Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?