Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

42 minutes ago, NoName said:

Imagine not understanding the core business of your 44b company this much

We are getting to the "4th grader running for student council and promising a full sundae bar in the cafeteria and 3-hour recess every day" levels of absolute cluelessness.

Correction, we blew past that level of cluelessness weeks ago.

It's not that I can't believe that Phony Stark is this clueless, this unaware, etc.  That's actually quite believable.  What I can't believe is ANYONE still standing up and defending him as some sort of genius in this capacity.  At the very LEAST, any sane person would have to admit "hey, I think Elon is smart and well-suited for some things, and in that capacity, he can even be a visionary....but on this Twitter thing, he's a fish out of water and he doesn't have the mental skillset to realize it."  I mean, it's okay to be brilliant at one thing (not that I'm really seeing what that thing is for Elon but sure, let's give him some benefit of the doubt) and an idiot at another.  I have a brilliant cardiologist.  I don't want him piloting my flight home this weekend.

Maybe we should all want Elmo to run our private rocket company.  Cool.  I still don't think he should be in charge of smoking the next brisket I eat, piloting my flight home, or running a company that is based on normal patterns of human engagement and selling ads.

• Haha 2

Wait.

Let me see if I get this straight.  I'm just a simple man.  Elon's world frightens and confuses me. So reader, feel free to help me try to understand this.

The owner of Twitter, who has publicly stated that he needs to keep advertisers (and grow revenue in other ways) on the platform that he owns, and has had interactions with advertisers on advertising on his platform,  is complaining that there are too many advertisments on his platform and they are too large.

• Hook 'Em 3

Wait.
Let me see if I get this straight.  I'm just a simple man.  Elon's world frightens and confuses me. So reader, feel free to help me try to understand this.
The owner of Twitter, who has publicly stated that he needs to keep advertisers (and grow revenue in other ways) on the platform that he owns, and has had interactions with advertisers on advertising on his platform,  is complaining that there are too many advertisments on his platform and they are too large.

You’re THIS close to understanding Elmo’s brilliant 5-D chess skills.
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Wait.

Among his many pathologies, Elon (1) has no ability to understand how other people think and feel, and thus assumes everyone thinks like him, and (2) is monumentally insecure.

He therefore believes that by suggesting he doesn’t need the advertisers, they will come to him begging. After all, that’s what he would do (and has done in other contexts).

In his mind, this brilliant Machiavellian plan is 4D chess. 

• Hook 'Em 6

I’ve not been a heavy Twitter user ever, and especially not since the end of the Trump administration - my understanding at one point was that you saw

1) tweets from people you follow

2) tweets retweeted by people you follow

3) ads

the annoying thing was that it would switch between your raw feed and a more algorithmic selection of those tweets. It would switch seemingly randomly, and once a every couple of weeks or so you’d think “wtf is going on with my feed?” and switch it back to raw.

from the complaints about engagement and what I’ve seen - it seems now you get tweets from people you don’t follow (is that new since Elon?) and they ratcheted that back a bit? Or are the complaints more about changes to the algorithmic feed?

24 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I’ve not been a heavy Twitter user ever, and especially not since the end of the Trump administration - my understanding at one point was that you saw

1) tweets from people you follow

2) tweets retweeted by people you follow

3) ads

the annoying thing was that it would switch between your raw feed and a more algorithmic selection of those tweets. It would switch seemingly randomly, and once a every couple of weeks or so you’d think “wtf is going on with my feed?” and switch it back to raw.

from the complaints about engagement and what I’ve seen - it seems now you get tweets from people you don’t follow (is that new since Elon?) and they ratcheted that back a bit? Or are the complaints more about changes to the algorithmic feed?

I figure before long, Elon will be auto follow for everyone, and his tweets will be pinned to the top with no way to hide/delete.

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Maybe we should all want Elmo to run our private rocket company.  Cool.  I still don't think he should be in charge of smoking the next brisket I eat, piloting my flight home, or running a company that is based on normal patterns of human engagement and selling ads.

The CEO there must have his nuts over a barrel in order to successfully keep him out of her business. She must have reminded Elron about it shortly after he started jabbering about the war and the sat phones because he's been oddly silent about it since then afaik. 

15 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Wait.

Like two days after calling the ceo of the largest marketing and PR company in the world despicable or something like that 

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-tesla-trial-funding-secured-testimony-day-2-1850018255

Elon Musk testified before a nine-person-jury in California Monday to try to explain a series of tweets from 2018 in a trial that could cost the Tesla CEO billions. A group of burned Tesla shareholders are suing Musk, and they argue the billionaire misled investors, causing them to lose tens of millions, when he published his now infamous “funding secured” tweets announcing he was “considering” taking the company private.

Several major themes ran through Musk first full day of testimony. The CEO and his lawyers repeatedly argued that Musk, unequivocally, had every intention of taking Tesla private. To that end, Musk claimed the head of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) verbally expressed interest in funding the privatization effort, which Musk said he assumed made it a “done deal.” Though that deal fizzled, Musk repeatedly tried to assure the jury he could have, in theory, still financed the Tesla takeover by selling his SpaceX shares. Funding was, in his mind at lest, indeed “Secured.”

Musk also remained committed to the idea that drawing any links between his tweets and variations in Tesla’s stock price were “absurd.” Together, Musk hopes those points will convince the jury he was acting in the best interest of shareholders and shouldn’t be held responsible for large sums of money lost by investors when Tesla’s stock price crumbled. 

During his testimony Monday, Musk told the jury that the proposed $420 per share price to take Tesla private was, “not a joke,” and said any connections between it and references to marijuana tropes were purely a coincidence. The CEO said he privately discussed taking the company private with fellow tech founder Michael Dell, who took Dell private in 2013. Musk claims Dell told him he was “unequivocal” that going private was a good idea.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

In one of the more dramatic exchanges during the trial Musk railed against Yasir Al-Rumayyan, the governor of Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund, who he accused of “ass covering” and going back on the funding deal. Musk then questioned the shareholder’s legal team on why they chose not to subpoena Al-Rumayyan.

“It would destroy your case,” Musk alleged.

Ice Hockey What GIF by NHL

Speaking to the jury on the first day of the trial, Musk’s attorney Alex Spiro tried to say his client’s tweets weren’t “lies” as the shareholders suggested, but rather that they simply included some “technical wordsmith inaccuracies.” Musk, his attorney argued, did actually intend to take the company private and claimed Musk’s sloppy tweets were actually caused by his mad rush to inform stakeholders of his intentions in an act of extreme transparency.

“He rushed and in his rushed, reckless state, he tweeted the wrong word choice,” Spiro said. Addressing the jury, he said, “You will come to learn very soon that this was not fraud, not even close.”

The shareholders attorney’s pointed out that Musk repeated those “wrong words” over and over again in follow up tweets and an official Tesla blog post.

@Brisketexan @Ghost of LL @TwiceHorn and the other 48% of Surly that's an attorney, do you ever tell juries you're clients are just dumbasses rushed and reckless?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-tesla-trial-funding-secured-testimony-day-2-1850018255

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

@Brisketexan @Ghost of LL @TwiceHorn and the other 48% of Surly that's an attorney, do you ever tell juries you're clients are just dumbasses rushed and reckless?

Well, I mean.....I've told my wife that a few times, about me.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Sometimes you have to be the dumbass, yes. 

This is the flipsiide of getting your peepee whacked by the SEC for making material false statements about a publicly traded company

If those statements cause the share price to drop, you can be on the hook to shareholders who lost money. 

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/accounting/forward-looking-statements-example/

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

The lawyer is arguing against intent to mislead here. The problem he has is civil fraud has a “known - or should have known” standard. “Reckless” seems to be an admission that he should have known people would rely on the tweets to tank the stock. 

• Hook 'Em 1

multiple lawsuits filed for not paying rent, the top 2 are the newest ones:

SF: https://www.sfchronicle.com/tech/article/Twitter-sued-by-landlord-at-S-F-HQ-after-alleged-17737102.php

The landlord of Twitter’s San Francisco headquarters sued the social media company on Friday after it allegedly failed to pay almost $6.8 million in rent in December and January.

SRI Nine Market Square LLC alleges that Twitter did not pay rent after being served with a notice of default in December and breached its lease in a suit filed in San Francisco Superior Court. The landlord said it drew from most of Twitter’s letter of credit security deposit of $3.6 million to satisfy the December rent payment, but Twitter still owes $3.1 million in unpaid rent from January.

The landlord is also seeking to increase Twitter’s line of credit to $10 million, based on a clause in its lease triggered by transfer of control of the company, but said Twitter has refused to do so. Elon Musk bought the company in late October for $44 billion.

London: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-11667977/Twitter-sued-Crown-Estate-unpaid-rent-London-headquarters.html

The offices are believed to be over its first-floor office in the Piccadilly Circus site, which Twitter has occupied since 2014.

The group’s signs and logos have been removed from the building, but an employee told The Daily Telegraph the company still had a presence in the building.

another SF lawsuit: https://www.sfchronicle.com/tech/article/Twitter-sued-for-allegedly-not-paying-rent-at-San-17692395.php

Columbia REIT - 650 California LLC, an affiliate of Columbia Property Trust, owns 650 California St. and said Twitter owes $136,260 in back rent. Columbia said that Twitter was in default of its lease as of Dec. 21 in the lawsuit filed in State Superior Court in San Francisco last week.

Seattle: https://www.seattletimes.com/business/lawsuit-alleges-twitter-failed-to-pay-rent-for-seattle-office/

A complaint filed in King County Superior Court Thursday alleges Twitter “defaulted by failing to pay the rent owed under the lease for December 2022 and January 2023, and by indicating it would not be paying any rent moving forward.” 

Twitter has vacated the building, according to the complaint. Its lease had been in place since August 2013 and the space fit about 200 people.

The filing does not name a dollar amount Twitter owes, but alleges damages “in an amount owed under the lease for past and future rent” as well as other charges. The complaint seeks damages, attorneys fees and interest. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, NoName said:

I don’t understand the game here outside of pure delay. That money will come due eventually, and if I’m the landlord, I’m taking possession back and renting to someone else 

• Hook 'Em 1

evidently after tomorrow's earnings report, Elon can sell more shares once they exit the lock up period.

let's see how much he sells after saying time and time and time and time and time and time again that he isn't going to sell any more shares. and that he really means it this time!

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I don’t understand the game here outside of pure delay. That money will come due eventually, and if I’m the landlord, I’m taking possession back and renting to someone else 

Most (if not all) states require a landlord to mitigate damages by making reasonable efforts to re-lease space when a tenant breaches its lease and vacates. So if a landlord successfully re-leases, that will decrease the damages Twitter would have to pay. And Elon has greatly reduced staff so they don't need nearly as much office space, so Twitter could theoretically come out ahead here. Of course, the actual lease terms and legal fees incurred impact the risk calculation, and because of the nature of Twitter's spaces and/or the current commercial real estate market, these offices may be too hard for a landlord to lease to anyone else.

30 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

“You must come to the office or you’re fired!”

”Also, you’ll be trespassing at the office because I’m a piece of shit!”

funny enough, i think the handful of employees they kept in seattle got bumped to WFH full time.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

He needs advertisers, so he trashes the head of one of the largest PR firms and he tells twitter users that he wants to reduce the number of ads.

And he brings back a famous white supremacist and Holocaust denier.

Because that's what advertisers and PR firms were looking for.

Well Done Bravo GIF by Friends

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

But I was told free speech.

Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

What a fucking shitshow Musk is putting on for the world to see.

Letting famous white supremacist/Holocaust deniers back just as it comes out he's censoring content for Indian officials.

Can't wait to see the book he writes about how good he is at this.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

What a fucking shitshow Musk is putting on for the world to see.

Letting famous white supremacist/Holocaust deniers back just as it comes out he's censoring content for Indian officials.

Can't wait to see the book he writes about how good he is at this.

Update to this:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/twitter-faces-legal-complaint-germany-over-anti-semitic-content-2023-01-25/

Jewish students in Germany are starting to pursue legal action against Twitter under Germany's holocaust denial laws

• Hook 'Em 8

On 10/29/2022 at 6:12 PM, wildcat09 said:

His free speech absolutist charade is going to take a big hit when word leaks out after he starts outing political dissidents to the Chinese, Russian, Saudi, and Indian governments, among others, which he's absolutely going to do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Only 71%.  Genius and visionary, indeed.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/ad-spending-twitter-falls-by-over-70-dec-data-2023-01-25/

Advertising spend on Twitter Inc dropped by 71% in December, data from an advertising research firm showed, as top advertisers slashed their spending on the social-media platform after Elon Musk's takeover.

The recent data by Standard Media Index comes (SMI) as Twitter is moving to reverse the advertiser exodus. It has introduced a slew of initiatives to win back advertisers, offering some free ads, lifting a ban on political advertising and allowing companies greater control over the positioning of their ads.

According to the SMI data, ad spending on Twitter in November fell 55% from last year despite these months traditionally being a time of higher ad spending as brands promote their products during the holiday season.

Twitter did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

Most of the companies had stopped spending in November, estimates by another research firm Pathmatics showed, the same month that Musk restored suspended accounts and released a paid account verification that resulted in scammers impersonating corporations.

Fourteen of the top 30 advertisers on Twitter stopped all advertising on the platform after Musk took charge on Oct. 27, according to the Pathmatics estimates.

In a November event on Twitter Spaces, Musk addressed the issue of companies pausing ads and said that he understands if advertisers "want to give it a minute."

Around the same time, Musk had also blamed activist groups for pressuring advertisers to pull ads on social media platform. Ad sales account for about 90% of Twitter's revenue.

Twitter's fourth-quarter revenue fell about 35% year over year due to a slump in advertising, technology-focused publication the Information reported, citing details shared by a top Twitter ad executive at a staff meeting last week.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Fail The Simpsons GIF

lol

Funny thing is, I've been reading about how much happier SpaceX engineers have been lately with elmo off fucking up a different company for a change

https://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-employees-elon-musk-focus-twitter-ceo-2023-1

Current and former SpaceX staff, who requested to remain anonymous, told Bloomberg that they didn't require Musk's attention every day. Following the billionaire's takeover of Twitter in late October, there has been a "semblance of calm," when Musk is focusing on other activities, the workers told Bloomberg.

Instead, Musk's role at SpaceX is vital for setting the company's goals, such as reaching Mars and helping NASA put humans on the moon again, the workers told Bloomberg.

When Musk is engaged in daily operations at SpaceX, it could lead to more work for staff, per the report.

For example, Musk had previously ordered random changes to suit his preferences, such as staff redesigning technical hardware due to its aesthetic which can take weeks to achieve, current and former employees told Bloomberg. His demands have sometimes led to staff reworking the product again for its functionality, they added.

• Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?