Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

Twitter made its first payment of $300 million (it will be about a billion a year total)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-30/twitter-said-to-make-first-interest-payment-on-musk-buyout-debt

He sort of apologized for pushing a conspiracy about the attack on Pelosi's husband.  Funny how he did this just as he's making the rounds in D.C. this week trying to get deals for Tesla, etc. and meeting with various officials/pols and reassuring them that twitter won't become Qanon Central (Narrator: It already has)

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

In other news, I for one was not surprised he made the $300M payment. He is free to mess around but when it comes to the banks they will keep him in line, I think.

Further, it appears that Tesla stock has been roaring back. I don't know why or how, but the market is irrational. 

Cutting their prices helped, but a lot of this might be speculation that Tesla replaces him as CEO.  Wishful thinking, I'd imagine.

Plus, I don't see how this would boost stock, but who the hell knows:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/01/tesla-confirms-justice-department-investigation-into-autopilot/

Tesla filed its annual 10-K report with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday night, and the document confirms that, among the many open federal investigations into the company, the US Department of Justice is looking into the automaker's controversial driver assistance features.

In the section detailing "Certain Investigations and Other Matters," the 10-K briefly describes Tesla being subpoenaed by the SEC following CEO Elon Musk's tweets about taking the company private in 2018. That investigation led to a consent decree with the regulator but did not mark the end of the company's SEC headache; in February 2022, we reported that the SEC was investigating both Musk and his brother for potential insider trading.

"Separately, the company has received requests from the DOJ for documents related to Tesla’s Autopilot and FSD features," Tesla wrote.

This news shouldn't be too surprising to Tesla watchers. In October, we discovered that Justice Department prosecutors in both Washington and San Francisco were investigating whether Tesla had misled investors and customers by making unsupported claims about the capabilities of its driver-assist features, including in a much-viewed video created in 2016 that was staged to make it appear as if Tesla had already succeeded in developing an autonomous vehicle.

Tesla is also the subject of multiple other federal investigations beyond the SEC and DoJ matters. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has several open investigations into Tesla; it's looking into the propensity of Autopilot to drive Teslas into emergency vehicles, whether or not Autopilot can even identify motorcyclists, and the preponderance of phantom braking episodes following Tesla's decision to strip radar sensors from its cars.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Tweeted by guy who tried to back out of his purchase of Twitter once he realized the extent of bots of Twitter.

Yeah.....irony is dead, run through the woodchipper, and then had its debris tossed into a tornado and scattered to the four winds.  Past several years out front shoulda told ya.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

when you have the CEO doing fully unannounced tests in live, you have officially gone off the rails.

from reddit:

Imagine being able to test software some other way than in production. Like if you owned the place and had access to the devs, the code, logs, dashboards, dev environments, etc. Just imagine.

on the other hand maybe it's just a distraction to the fact TSLA took a $140m loss in Bitcoin in 2022

According to a filing with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission on Jan. 31, electric vehicle manufacturer Tesla disclosed that it had recorded a $204-million gross impairment loss during 2022 on its Bitcoin holdings. Simultaneously, Tesla recorded a gain of $64 million from converting BTC into fiat currency at various points during the year, resulting in a net loss of $140 million from its cryptocurrency trading activities.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

when you have the CEO doing fully unannounced tests in live, you have officially gone off the rails.

But when the staff you're stuck with is basically a bunch of unqualified grovelers, plus a bunch of H1B visa holders who are essentially captive workers and who in no way asked for the bullshit they're being asked to buy into now...

edit to note, this is the type of small breakage that some MIT guy wrote is exactly what would happen once the staff who knew how thing worked were cut...small, unexplained breakages that begin to add up, one by one.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Y’all remember that anti-human trafficking activist who claimed she was sold into white sex slavery herself and who said that Elon was doing an amazing job fighting trafficking on Twitter? 

Turns out she’s almost certainly entirely full of shit about everything she ever said. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/eliza-bleus-own-friends-arent-buying-her-trafficking-story

One of the shittiest things that Q-Anon has done is turn the really complex, difficult work of countering human trafficking into something that’s immediately suspect and linked to full-on loony land. Most real victims of trafficking are some combination of poor, undocumented, nonwhite, and otherwise marginalized, the exact opposite of Q-Anon fantasies. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 6

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Stunning to see the second richest man in the world with such a massive platform just desperately making new shit up to generate revenue and putting it into production.

I mean he fired everyone who had new concepts and product in the pipeline, so of course he had to go off on some dumb scheme to try and raise revenue after he ran off all the advertisers.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

I mean he fired everyone who had new concepts and product in the pipeline, so of course he had to go off on some dumb scheme to try and raise revenue after he ran off all the advertisers.

Facebook will dedicate a team of engineers and spend months/years and tens of millions of dollars refining some new concept to raise revenue, and they'll put it through focus/testing groups of thousands and then tens of thousands of users before it ever gets close to a production server.

Elon puts it through the focus group of @BradinOmaha1981 and @DngrVax19036420 for a few hours, then tells some group engineers that's still around to make it work or they get fired and the clock starts ticking on the visas of some of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

If you pay us 12K, we will change the color your check mark that we devalued by offering it up for sale 

brilliant 

Kind of like the idea of buying a new outfit in a video game.  Oh, my viking gets to wear an Italian Renaissance guy's outfit for $15? Sign me up!

On 2/1/2023 at 11:14 AM, NoName said:

from reddit:

on the other hand maybe it's just a distraction to the fact TSLA took a $140m loss in Bitcoin in 2022

Here is my personal tip that has made my twitter experience much better in 2023; late December I unfollowed and blocked Elon Musk twitter account. It has kept so much crap off my feed it is the greatest thing I have done in years. 

• Hook 'Em 3

You see, ya fucking morons, all it takes is sending your cash to Elron Holmes Musk and that turns twitter into a self-moderating social media site. Fire moderator staff. Charge customers. Pure genius. Auto pilot for twitter. No drivers or moderators required!!

image.thumb.png.646b2f55fd3d7ff4aea4ce9cb614747e.png

image.thumb.png.293e9c22ff8f7eff4aa19a3bc0133e5b.png

Edited by Chopper

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

Most of my Twitter enjoyment comes from bots tweeting old pictures of stuff and old Garfield comics, and the guy that has a dedicated Nebraska High School Sports history account, if Elon fucks that up, I can’t see myself sticking around

Agreed. Space Karen's talking about nefarious bots and so that's what I was talking about. Twitter could easily distinguish nefarious bots from entertainment bots but they have often been slow to do so. Now under Space Karen it's seems to be going an entirely different direction.

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Agreed. Space Karen's talking about nefarious bots and so that's what I was talking about. Twitter could easily distinguish nefarious bots from entertainment bots but they have often been slow to do so. Now under Space Karen it's seems to be going an entirely different direction.

It’s not a bot if it spends $8-$11 a month to get a blue checkmark!

• Haha 2

Sharing revenue with creators, if done correctly, would work.

In theory, it’s designed to incentivize creators to create great content that keeps their followers on the app.

But for Twitter it’s going to result in all sorts of nefarious actors churning out shit content served to bot followers. It’ll have the opposite effect of its intent.

And the new org verification/fee makes no sense. If companies wanted more reach on Twitter, they’d be buying ads. They aren’t. Because they don’t.

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Sharing revenue with creators, if done correctly, would work.

In theory, it’s designed to incentivize creators to create great content that keeps their followers on the app.

But for Twitter it’s going to result in all sorts of nefarious actors churning out shit content served to bot followers. It’ll have the opposite effect of its intent.

Yeah, it'll be about volume.

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

And the new org verification/fee makes no sense. If companies wanted more reach on Twitter, they’d be buying ads. They aren’t. Because they don’t.

Bingo.

For almost the entirety of Twitters existence, my sole exposure  has been through embedded tweets on 3rd party websites. I had the app on my phone for like a month before deleting it.

I figure if someone tweets something worthy of my attention, it will be posted here (probably about 16 times). People will tweet some funny shit out, which I enjoy, but the entire business could vaporize tomorrow, and I wouldn't give a fuck. At this point, I'm kind of hoping it happens, as elmo doesn't have a fucking clue what to do. The world will keep rotating and a new service will fill the void. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?